Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy (45873 Views)

Nigerians In The UK Are Asked To Bring £30 For BVN / Will My Coming To America Or Uk Make Me Stingy? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by tlops(m): 9:29pm On Jul 03, 2007
once u ask most guys in uk for money they will stop calling you.

But frankly taxes are high in europe, and expenses high too.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by fromuk(m): 9:33pm On Jul 03, 2007
bigrovar:

Cultist abeg shutup your mouth u think say na Nigeria them no they hussle, come mile 12 make u see as people they carry load 4 their head for able 14 hours of the day for just less than 5$ a day.condition is not that good does not mean all Nigeria are lazy, we are very hardworkin people, 4 me i have no biz leaving my country bcus i know i can make it here, the small biz am doing with my studies is a sign that watin dey sokoto dey shokoto.me wey be student 4 Nigeria sef beta pass many of u guys, 80% of u can't come back home bcus u don shit 4 body and can't met the expectation u created 4 yourself, people dey make am 4 this country men, take it or leave it, don't worry i go soon come jand 4 hols just tell me what u want me to bring for you,
Giving example with cultism does not make me one mind you, is just to make a clear view of how it is here. You are a student and at the same time working, that very good of you and i pray you succed in what ever good you find your hand doing. Please learn how to be polite when addressing an issue it will help you in lyf. If you can remember sometimes people will ask you what is your discipline if you are in higher institution and you will tell them without knowing what actually that DISCILINE means. Please try and find out what it means and add it to what you have learned in Nairaland. that is if you don,t know it before which i suppose you don't and that was why u called me a cultist. You lack discipline. One more thing, a hussler in 9ja cannot call somebody here to beg for money.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by busygirl(f): 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2007
As for calls, It's not expensive to call. . .  Uniafrica  is 2.50pounds. I do call my friends but that's only when I'm less busy most of the time I'm so busy and I think same goes for every other person. . . .Most people here work at night, They sleep during the day/ or shop for house needs and go to work at night. Where's the time? Although, I work during the day but getting home I feel too tired to even prepare something for myself. . not to talk of calling people.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2007
ok abeg make una no fight o. easy now.

@topic. sometimes i just long to be back home where i dont have to pay no taxes, i can skip work and still get paid, the times when i wouldnt go to classes and still pass exam by hook or crook grin, mooching off my parents, no responsibilities etc. so much easier. being in naija has its advantages too, so dont think living abroad is the ultimate thing because its not.  sad
if i could help out my people back home, i would, but conditions dont let me. its not easy to save. everyday one has to live from paycheck to paycheck. on the other hand, of course you're trying to advance ur career and better urself in the process, but its not an overnight thing. u have to kiss so much ass in this country in order to get anywhere. pride has to be set aside and u have to do things u dont want to do.
but really, experience is the best teacher and like they say, seeing is believing. better to see for urself so u know.  sad
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 9:45pm On Jul 03, 2007
exactly o, busygirl. u hardly have time for urself. its so crazy that u have to make a schedule for every single thing. even to go visit someone, better call ahead and make sure they'll be home or vice versa. everything is rolling on time. its not fun, but u gotta have some organization to stay sane.
everytime i come home from work (and those people work u to the bone its not even funny. they squeeze out every ounce of energy from u.), i'm too tired to even call my people. then ur bills are waiting for u there, its like a vicious cycle, this paycheck to paycheck thing. i hate it so much. angry
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by superman(m): 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2007
na wa ooo
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by busygirl(f): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2007
yEAH RIGHT GIRL. . . .My dad works at night, when he gets back home there are mails waiting for him at the doorstep from 3G, TELEPHONE, WATER, everything. That one self fit give person headache. Although I work for my money, but I hadly touch them cause I know it will help someday!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by bigrovar(m): 10:05pm On Jul 03, 2007
" , .Dont worry i will send £ when i dey wake up 5AM to go work at sub zero temp while u are there snoring like over feed cow",
, tTHANKS 4 D LESSON IN discipline BRO I WILL keep it to @T,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by fromuk(m): 10:14pm On Jul 03, 2007
that was a joke and it wasn't refered to anybody in particular dude.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by bigrovar(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2007
busygirl:

yEAH RIGHT GIRL. . . .My dad works at night, when he gets back home there are mails waiting for him at the doorstep from 3G, TELEPHONE, WATER, everything. That one self fit give person headache. Although I work for my money, but I hadly touch them cause I know it will help someday!
soulpatrol:

exactly o, busygirl. u hardly have time for yourself. its so crazy that u have to make a schedule for every single thing. even to go visit someone, better call ahead and make sure they'll be home or vice versa. everything is rolling on time. its not fun, but u gotta have some organization to stay sane.
everytime i come home from work (and those people work u to the bone its not even funny. they squeeze out every ounce of energy from u.), i'm too tired to even call my people. then your bills are waiting for u there, its like a vicious cycle, this paycheck to paycheck thing. i hate it so much. angry
soulpatrol:

ok abeg make una no fight o. easy now.

@topic. sometimes i just long to be back home where i don't have to pay no taxes, i can skip work and still get paid, the times when i wouldnt go to classes and still pass exam by hook or crook grin, mooching off my parents, no responsibilities etc. so much easier. being in naija has its advantages too, so don't think living abroad is the ultimate thing because its not. sad
if i could help out my people back home, i would, but conditions don't let me. its not easy to save. everyday one has to live from paycheck to paycheck. on the other hand, of course you're trying to advance your career and better yourself in the process, but its not an overnight thing. u have to kiss so much ass in this country in order to get anywhere. pride has to be set aside and u have to do things u don't want to do.
but really, experience is the best teacher and like they say, seeing is believing. better to see for yourself so u know. sad

then come back home see its seems u guys are just being used to run the economy and support the welfare of their citizens, come home and make sumtin 4 your self in ur home land,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by bigrovar(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2007
sure it wasnt, it was just a statement meant at nobody in particular, yeah , right

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by busygirl(f): 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2007
It's a general thing and it happens to everyone. Even to the whites! What most of them do is that they become single parents so as to get support from the govenment. . . .Here, no one is particularly rich. . .As you earn, you spend!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by MT: 10:49pm On Jul 03, 2007
@ All,

I feel Nigerians should learn not to be beggarly. I feel it is wrong to put your burden on another person without considering what the person is going through. The idea of saying people in UK are more stingy that other people all over the world, to me, are words coming from a shallow mind. Are you saying that people in the US throw away their hard-earned money into the air for the people in Nigeria to be happy. It is not logical. Stingyness on its own boil down to individual person.

One last thing, these lazy people asking for money from people abroad are the same set of people that will go behind you to say what has the person achieved since he has been abroad.

Change your mentality, if you are still in the art of begging, learn to be self-reliant instead of grunting like a cat!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by busygirl(f): 11:04pm On Jul 03, 2007
Well said bro, That idea of Nigerians In U.k being stingy isn't right.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2007
#

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by TheOne2(m): 11:13pm On Jul 03, 2007
I just want to dispel some myths being peddled here:

1) That Nigerians don't pay taxes: This is so untrue. The only people that might not be paying direct taxes are people that are self employed and they pay a lot of indirect taxes i.e. Local govt shop lease, building tax etc which is quite a lot lot. Nigerians in formal employment pay taxes, though it all depends on how the company structure it (basic pay vs allowances). I for one pay about 1 million naira in taxes every year to the Lagos state government.

2) This is directed at anusule. You say your one day pay is more than people earn for one month in Nigeria. That's crass ignorance and I believe it is because you jus don't know i.e. Daddy's still taking care of you so you don't have any reason to look at the world properly. I know the average salary in the UK is about 23,000 pounds per annum so we can say 50% of people earn below this. I personally know people that earn 12-14,000 pounds per annum in the UK. What do they take home after that. The average university graduate in Nigeria that does the same common jobs we all do (banks, manufacturing etc) compares favorably with folks in the UK interms of cash at hand. And pls don't say people don't have jobs because people that can do these jobs have them.

I have seen both worlds and I think a lot of people have false expectations of the folks in The UK because they protray affluence when in fact they are just struggling but wouldn't admit it. Take time to really explain things to people and they won't be asking you for money anyhow when they know you are not in a position to give them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by badavix(m): 11:25pm On Jul 03, 2007
the topic is an interesting one, i read thru all the stuff written and had a good laugh. From my experience, Nigerian in the UK are not stingy. The reality is that when a young man (20+) leaves home and come to the UK, he is immediately thrust with the responsibility of a 40+ plus old man. he has to fend for every of his needs and to worsen the situation if he's in school, the tuition fee can run him mental.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by fromuk(m): 11:28pm On Jul 03, 2007
The One, you have said it all but do they know, i don't think and when u try to explain they call you all sorts of names. This place is not a bed of roses, for every 1£ you earn you have worked for £3 that is white man for you. E no dey easy to wear easy jean my brother.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by freshB2: 11:43pm On Jul 03, 2007
TIS NOT TRUE. TIS NOT TRUEOOOOOOOOOOO

9jars here arent aradite as you wan claim brofs.
miss calls every seconds. not from my family nor even very good close friendz but distant friendz. most use hidden numbers some you never had any close contact while back home or rather, they didnt value you then. when the phone rings it goes off before you pick. sometimes youre tryin to illegally pick the call at work but then it goes "BANG!".

what happenz when they talk? all youll hear is "CALL MI NOW!"
Shuw. mi didnt overstand. thinkin something happend. id call them. and theyd say "i just wantd to no how your doin".
others ll say "send mi atleast 100£"
others ll say "you should be shippin back home so i can clear them for you its a long time you went"
others ll say "am payin not less than 1500,000naira for rent. do somthin"

Consider mi painz. I call thinkin they need greetin or an idea to solvin a problem but they end up depressin mi more than the tax master here does
Consider my painz. i call to no who the unknown number might bi-may be a close friend/sibblin but itll turn to be someone you spend three days on phone to remember and at the end theyll bi the wrong ones

i use to be a fool. burnin not less than 6 nigeria tel a month all because i wanted to keep in touch with ghost callers. notwithstandin my unavialable time, hard studies, bills, family, cousins and friendz to settle.

Glory be to God d Day i Woke from the slumber!
how can i make all the calls- burnin £ not naira
how can i listen to someone who doesnt listen to wha they say-you havnt seen 20,000naira yet you lie you liv in 150000naira house. well after bills am not left with any tin
how can i call people who will claim tom tha i havnt done anythin for mi family as otherz do

since then i stoppd callin
i call only mi family and very close friendz
as per this is holiday, work is 247. when they try to miss-call mi, Thank Heaven, voice mail cuts their money  

WE ARENT STINGY BUT CAUTIOUS AND LACK TIME
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by pssword: 11:52pm On Jul 03, 2007
You cannot really compare UK and Yankee, the cost of living and the taxes in the former are far far higher. The analysis by samsilo, based on £3000 a month which is about $5.5k a month. People in the US own big houses and live very well on that money. But in the UK na anoda tory, u never start. In most parts of the UK you'll be lucky to rent or own a very very small one bed flat for that money. For those living in London, there is also the cost of transport etc, The guys in Yankee seem to have more time to themselves while the Londoners are permanently hustling from one corner to another,
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by samsilo(m): 12:03am On Jul 04, 2007
@pssword that my analysis is based on a real person.
I forgot to add car insurance house insurance and other sundries (fuel ,almost £1 a litre).
Some one living in the UK can earn £3000 (N750,000)a month especially in London and still be struggling to survive while in the US cost of living is much lower.
You made a mistake ,£3000 is like $6000 a month and in the US that would make you a big guy.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by freshB2: 12:05am On Jul 04, 2007
when i enterd London from Naija, i tot all man and woman dey mad as they walk-run faster than jeep. yes. i was jus lookin at different walkin styles and concluded" these people are mad!" i didnt understand why.

two days latter i startd mi studies. wha happend. i noticed i don't walk-run but i FLY like rocket. i now no theres no time here. i no now tha time is more money to mi than when i was back home.

The One; you claim we showcase ourselves as affluent guys thatS y they the Naijas BAC HOME ask for money.
that is LIE.
I HAV ALWAYS MADE IT CLEAR AM STILL STUDYIN. I TELL THEM INCLUDIN MI FAMILY THA I PURELY STUDY AS THERE MAYBE NO TIME FOR WORK. YET PPL FRUSTRATE ONES LIFE
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by freshB2: 12:17am On Jul 04, 2007
you can make 3000. but thas for growing professionals.

when you do mak it, nofin will be left of it.
in your calculation above you didnt add tv leicence, rubbish charge and your calculation for phone them is not correct. you pay more. normally you got 2mobiles(1payg and 1 monthly) and 1land. each drop here is 2£ on bus. here in west london "small room is 100£ pw on average
you talked of fuel. if you do you must talk of insurance and mot and packin charges oh
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by DisGuy: 12:33am On Jul 04, 2007
the problem is not actually the money to buy calling cards but the TIME, people in naija have tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime either on strike,lectures cancelled or holiday
there are phone cards sellers everywhere in the shopping areas you dont just walk down to the next house to buy a card

Some people just want you to call right back even with private number, you dont even know who is speaking they just drop the call before you ask.

there is time for everything in the UK; you know when the train,bus will arrive, you know when you'll get to the shop you know how long it will take you to get back all in all you need your own time to REST after the hustling. sometimes im not doing anything but you feel busy (resting) wink

Even people don't call each other regularly in the UK not that they don't want to but they just got 'things' to do like sleeping watching a naija film and know one takes it personal wink
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by doyinakin(m): 12:49am On Jul 04, 2007
i don't believe those in the UK pay more taxes or have more expenses than those in america. I think it is a culture mindset. it builds into people who arrive in the UK and later become permanent. And also i so much believe that african(blacks) are doing better in america than UK. You find more blacks in corporate jobs and very enticing jobs in the US than in the UK. I really don't know the reason for this but it is a statement of fact.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by princeonx: 12:50am On Jul 04, 2007
I can't believe its now a crime to not call somebody! personally, my family are the only people I call almost EVERYDAY in Nigeria! I don't just pick the phone and start calling everybody I have their number! not because I don't have money for phone card or time but because I'm tired of hearing negative stories! The story lines are all the same! everyday!, anyday!, and anytime you call! If school is not on strike, NNPC will be! if theres no fuel, there'll be no light!, if Armed-robbers no attack, area boy go break somebody house! I have almost NEVER received a call from Nigeria and someone will say they got a job instead they'll need money to bribe someone to review their job application! you know what? forget this topic!!!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by DisGuy: 12:56am On Jul 04, 2007
doyin_akin:

i don't believe those in the UK pay more taxes or have more expenses than those in america. I think it is a culture mindset. it builds into people who arrive in the UK and later become permanent. And also i so much believe that african(blacks) are doing better in america than UK. You find more blacks in corporate jobs and very enticing jobs in the US than in the UK. I really don't know the reason for this but it is a statement of fact.

could it be that ethnic minorities in the UK went there not too long ago voluntarily mainly as working immigrants and ethnic minorities esp blacks were taken to America hundreds of years ago and reside there permanently and therefore consider the place home unlike the majority of their counterparts in the UK who still have a/another place to call home undecided

also consider the percentages of ethnic minorities in both countries
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by mide2(f): 2:29am On Jul 04, 2007
whats with the uk peeps haters. Why not stick to your USA friends, keep flashing them and begging for money. Honestly this topic is driving me nuts cuz i just came in now at 12 midnite, checked my acct online and had instant headache. I tot this month wud be better as i worked the bank holiday shifts but na lie. Bills, taxes, transport, credit card bills, e.t.c. This month it was just like hell, i had to pay to renew my practising licence as a nurse(which has been increased), i had to pay to renew my work permit (which has in recently increased) £350. Infact the £43 cheque i gave the NMC bounced as thr was just £21 left in my acct. I work minimum of 42 hrs a week, and in uk 42 hrs is 42 hrs, no sitting down, chstting wiv friends or lazing abt.

I cant wait 4 the nxt payday n bills cant wait either. As for me o, pple can go to hell for all i care, cuz i hv no f&&king life here in uk and nigeria isnt any better for my type of career. I just need a miracle!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Ndipe(m): 3:00am On Jul 04, 2007
Pray to God@Mide, and a Miracle would be on its way. Truthfully, I have been on that path and what God did (and has done for me) has been a very very humbling/moving experience.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by comechop(m): 7:48am On Jul 04, 2007
Haha this group is hilarious!!! I like what someone said, thank God voicemail dey chop their money lol
I'm in the US, but i must say we are still prey to the 'attacks' lol. One thing our brodas and sistas back home must take into consideration is TIME, which we dont have here, and resources. MONEY goes FAST here.
The mindset many Nigerians still have is that once u come to Yank or UK, your own don better, your own don CONFIRM.
Yea rite.
Pple dey HUSTLE big time here man, u gotta hustle to make it thru to pay bills and all that stuff.
So ya make una try understand small for us abeg. Its not easy and we are trying.
Another point to note: Many pple dont consider that its easier just to call one broda wee don travel go UK, than it is for someone here to call lik 20+ friends back home vying for his time and resources. its not easy.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 04, 2007
@Poster,
The truth is Life is a bit difficult when you are just starting out especially when you are away from Nigeria. You have to pay rent, tax, food, and transportation.
I dont know why some Nigerians have one type of mentality. When you start working you have a lot of responsibilty, nobody does anything for you anymore you have to take care of yourself.
The first month I started working, it was as if some of my friends were waiting for my salary, they all came with different requests, i tried to please them but i hear am that month. I could not buy new office clothes, could not afford to eat lunch at work (i resume by 7 and close by 7) and by the middle of the month i could not even pay my transportation fare to work.
it was my Mentor that called me and i guess she must have gone through the same because she gave me advice on how to manage my finances.
The truth is that a young person starting out life has a lot of responsibilty but people do not understand especially if you are single, they complain that you have changed or you have turned a snub but the truth is that they are the ones that have changed the relationship from a symbiotic one to a parasitic one.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by dakmanzero(m): 8:38am On Jul 04, 2007
To all the suffering, struggling, one-room-apartment-living, hypertnsive, miserable, over-taxed, slave-driven Janded Nigerians out there.

I have one question.

Why not return home?

I need Honest responses. Honest. If there is ANYTHING about that terrible, dead-end lifestyle over there that is strong enough to keep you from Nigeria, I'd like to know.

U people should know that employers would pay you =N=millions for your accent and work experience papers alone. So what keeps you there?

Kindly respond.

*If* there's anything that makes life in jand more comfortable than life here in 9ja, please mention it!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Handsome Ghanaian Gallant Soldier Dies One Month To Wedding / South African Pilot Makes Emergency Landing After Discovery Of Deadly Cobra / Family Crashes SUV Into An Estate In Ikeja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.