Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78398 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by marsup: 10:19pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
Are you sure you really wanna do this?
Cos I'm ready when you are.
Feed me and my family( a whole my family ooo) for ages yet your mama dey want kill herself say your fiance no buy bread for am?. cheesy
Why not use that money weh you want use am feed me and my generation buy your mama provisions keep for house na grin grin
And somehow its from this miserly,miserable existence that you wanna feed my family(really rich ) from? undecided
My eldest sister got married in 2004,in 2003 when the man came for introduction,he wore shorts and was empty handed.
You know why?There was nothing he could bring that we don't have and he knew it cheesy
What you could have done sef to even cover your bf is send some money to your thirsty mom and claim your bf sent it,but instead you fought with him over it,maybe because you and your mama don plan as una go share the stipends weh the guy suppose bring,
Yet a bottom feeder like you wants to feed my generation? grin
finish her.......fatality.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BRATISLAVA: 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

I think you're typing too much and saying less

The mother is complaining that he brought nothing and even sad that she offered him a drink without getting nothing in return.

That's petty to me. Very petty.

He's not even her husband. Just a boyfriend. The probability of them not marrying is there. At this point, he is not an in-law, and cannot be treated as such.

Stop talking about giving gifts. Nobody is saying it's bad to give gifts

People are only talking about the entitlement mentality a mother and daughter decided to have.

He's her boyfriend and it ends at that. The moment he comes for introduction and traditional, we can start talking differently

It's that simple

He's her fiance. Why don't you read the topic and her post objectively?

I think you're typing too much and saying less.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by NeoWanZaeed(m): 10:21pm On Jan 08, 2021
oluwaseyi0:

What about the previous gift he came with? It has expired and gift must be renewed at every single damn visit? Don't you think you are the kid here?
She talk say na 1st visit. .if its n0t 1st visit. The guy should run for his life
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by nonut: 10:22pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
Feed me and my family( a whole my family ooo) for ages yet your mama dey want kill herself say your fiance no buy bread for am?. cheesy
Why not use that money weh you want use am feed me and my generation buy your mama provisions keep for house na grin grin
And somehow its from this miserly,miserable existence that you wanna feed my family(really rich ) from? undecided
My eldest sister got married in 2004,in 2003 when the man came for introduction,he wore shorts and was empty handed.
You know why?There was nothing he could bring that we don't have and he knew it cheesy
What you could have done sef to even cover your bf is send some money to your thirsty mom and claim your bf sent it,but instead you fought with him over it,maybe because you and your mama don plan as una go share the stipends weh the guy suppose bring,
Bottom feeder? Bad mouth kee you there grin

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 10:22pm On Jan 08, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

He's her fiance. Why don't you read the topic and her post objectively?

A fiance with no introduction or traditional marriage is still a boyfriend, according to my Igbo tradition

Fiance that is coming to see the mum for the second time?

You should be the one reading objectively, sir

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by oluwaseyi0: 10:22pm On Jan 08, 2021
NeoWanZaeed:
She talk say na 1st visit. .if its n0t 1st visit. The guy should run for his life
She later clarified it's not the first visit, he visited with gifts previously
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 10:23pm On Jan 08, 2021
Remson23:
I deeply feel irritated at reading this. Simply put, you have to change your impaired mentality. What you are fighting your boyfriend for was what I got embarrassed for doing. I regretted doing it and it still pains me anytime I remember. For clarity sake, let me share my own little experience when I visited my girlfriend's family for the first time: I went to their place on a Saturday evening. I met only my girlfriend and two of her siblings at home. She welcomed and offered me some drinks but I didn't take anything. I was told to wait for her parents that they would join us shortly. After about 45 mins her mum came back from a ceremony she went and later, her dad. My girlfriend knew that I might have a plan of giving them something but she begged me not to do anything of sort - as she found it unnecessary and ridiculous. I didn't yield to her plea. When I was about leaving, I brought out some new 500 notes (about 10k) that I purposely earmarked for the aim of giving her parents. When I handed the money to her father in the presence of the mother and my girlfriend, my girlfriend frowned immediately and felt so embarrassed that she covered her face. Her father asked why I gave them money. He blatantly told me that it was not needed. He told me to keep my money. He and the mother said to me that from their thorough observations, they like me and my personality. They gave me some words of encouragement about my life and career. They told me to always report their daughter to them anytime she does me wrong..... and that they would not spare her if found guilty. Finally, they prayed for me and told me to wait till we are ready to get married before bringing anything for them. Although I liked how they showed support for us but I still felt so embarrassed. After my meeting with them, my girlfriend was so upset with me. She asked me why I still went ahead to give them something despite the fact that she had earlier told me not to. I apologized to her and promised not to do that again. Her parents still call me till now and we still keep in touch. I pray never to have any romantic affair with someone like the OP. It would be so frustrating and annoying.

this is the same thing I was trying to say since.

A true igbo parent eh sofar they have not given you list and you finish traditional marriage requirements. they will never collect pin from you bcs they will be feeling they are pimping their child.

they will even be advising their daughter not to collect anything from you so that even if she change her mind tomorrow she can go freely.

someone and her mother is out there collecting gift from her boyfriend and complaining he is no longer bringing it again they are telling me it's igbo culture.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by NeoWanZaeed(m): 10:23pm On Jan 08, 2021
oluwaseyi0:

She later clarified it's not the first visit, he visited with gifts previously
Help me invoke the gods for the gal and her m0ther abeg
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:24pm On Jan 08, 2021
NeoWanZaeed:
una nor go read post...d guy has been visiting before only one day he couldnt get s gift anf d leach couldnt cover up for his shortcoming this is a disgrace to womanhood..
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2021
First and second pages are very interesting.

What a shame....

Let's move, anyway.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by nonut: 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
Sense is very far from you.
Save money and buy sense, that's the only you need.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by oluwaseyi0: 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

The gift thing seems to be the traditional way people go about making their intentions known, in Nigeria. He definitely knew that. If it were about money, they wouldn't have given him anything, but the mother did so s part of her traditional role.
What about the gift that the young man gave the woman on his previous visit? It has expired and no longer count?

4 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Ekugbeh(m): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
really, babe u no try. Jus talk with ur man, ok. Sort things out with him
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by shantti(m): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

"A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men"

Giving gifts will make way for you in the presence of Kings and great men.

Abeg when you become so acclimatized with your fiances family to the extent you visit them weekly, will u be buying them gifts per visit, pls answer me
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BRATISLAVA: 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

A fiance with no introduction or traditional marriage is still a boyfriend, according to my Igbo tradition

Fiance that is coming to see the mum for the second time?

You should be the one reading objectively, sir

Read objectively. Contextually.

You were claiming he is not the fiance, hence your much typing. She said he is. You aren't either of them to claim otherwise.

Now, tell us more about your ideas of what fiance's can and must never do.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by MINORU: 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
must you be insulting? With the way you sound, u re not responsible and reasonable enough, so your opinion doesn't count

Some times I wonder how people like you reason

Do you reason with you head or you anus?

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
you must be broke.
so many nairaland boys are broke and this is why they're so pained on this issue. You won't blame them though. This country is messed up
The more you type, the more you get us angry.

If I were you, I will beg the mods to help delete this entire thread.

You didn't handle the situation well.

I'm sure your mum was only joking and you missed the humour.

I'm sure she'll be disappointed that you even confronted him the way you did.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by OLABOY8495(m): 10:27pm On Jan 08, 2021
The Girl Is Right, When You Pay Someone A Visit You Dont Go Empty Handed The Person No Be Ordinary Person Na Mother In Law For That Matter He Day Mad Gan, How Will he Feels If Him Daughter Fiance Com Greet Him Empty Handed That Is Lack Of Respect, He Is Irresponsible Also Not A Serious Person. Guys Go Meet Your Parent Ask Them If It Is Good To Go Empty Handed To Person In Laws House, That Is Supidity For The Guy.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by BRATISLAVA: 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2021
oluwaseyi0:

What about the gift that the young man gave the woman on his previous visit? It has expired and no longer count?

People should never repeat giving you a gift, or what are you trying to say?
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by shantti(m): 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2021
Biglittlelois:

I cringed when I saw the bolded, is it that your fiance can't eat in your parent's house? Cos I don't understand what you mean by her drink, una nor dey entertain visitors? Smh!!!

Aunty, d tin shock me pass sef, visitation is now a ponzi scheme, invest 1 loaf of bread and get a plate of rice under 45 minuites, no referal is needed

6 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by oluwaseyi0: 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2021
MummyD2020:

God bless u. The story is kind of dicey for me honestly. He could have just done it even though it's not compulsory. It doesnt take anything away from him. In life, no matter how disciplined or a no non sense person we claim to be, there are times we can just let go of somethings to make peace reign or to fulfil all righteousness. Somethings we consider here in Africa are absurd . Some people here calling name will get something for the woman in order to win her heart. Let's be honest

He already brought gift on his previous visit
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Read objectively.

You were claiming he is not the fiance, hence your much typing. She said he is. You aren't either of them to claim otherwise.

Now, tell us more about your ideas of what fiance's can and must never do.

I asked you a question the first time...You intelligently dodged it

Does the in-law in your family (nuclear or extended) bring a gift every single time he/she visits?

When you have an answer, I'll tell you what it takes to be recognised as a fiance in Igbo tradition

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by MINORU: 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

We are Africans. Let us be honest with ourselves.

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
What was the purpose of the visit?
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.

When they will give him list ,will the mother help him pay for some items in the list

Guy reason with your head not your dick

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Liposure: 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

I don't agree with you, but we can understand a verse of the scripture differently, depending on how it was ministered to us.
i understand courtesy demands he brought gifts along however some manners are excusable. Perhaps he's not that acquainted with tradition
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by orgylover: 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
DEBJOCH1:
. PLEASE CAN I VISIT YOU?
i go first visit you like i visit my fiancee na cheesy
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
Xmen149:

this is the same thing I was trying to say since.

A true igbo parent eh sofar they have not given you list and you finish traditional marriage requirements. they will never collect pin from you bcs they will be feeling they are pimping their child.

they will even be advising their daughter not to collect anything from you so that even if she change her mind tomorrow she can go freely.

someone and her mother is out there collecting gift from her boyfriend and complaining he is no longer bringing it again they are telling me it's igbo culture.
it has to be igbo..cuz of the way they are so concerned abt material things..my friend who got married to an igbo girl on his wedding list his wife dad added roofing sheets i was shocked.since that day anytime i see amaka i quickly take another route though i was the one who registered her in a tailoring shop.had to run for my life..i was young then sha
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by MINORU: 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
Chujor1634:
Your mentality and that of your mum is so annoying, to think that you had to even call him him instead of talking sense to your mum is the height of it all.

Guy you be man
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Sweet2date: 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
You know why?There was
 nothing h
e could bring that we don't have and he knew
[s][/code[/s]][code]
[code][/code]it cheesy
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by oluwaseyi0: 10:33pm On Jan 08, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

People should never repeat giving you a gift, or what are you trying to say?

And gift renewal must be done on every single damn visit, he visited previously with gift without been cajoled to do so who told you he won't visit next time with gift again? He has done it before and can do it again but singling out occasion he didn't come with gifts is the highest level of low for a so called intending mother in-law, this mother is what Yoruba call alatenuje ole ofon

This type will probably be asking the daughter on the steady how much the husband is giving her to cook and if she feel it's not enough there will be trouble

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ThiagoKid(m): 10:33pm On Jan 08, 2021
colestephan86:

You are a fool.
Even if he is not going to marry the babe , how much is a bottle of non alcoholic wine.
You are seeing an elderly Person for the first time. What did he go there to discuss with the woman.
ode, no be first time jor
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 10:34pm On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

I think you're typing too much and saying less

The mother is complaining that he brought nothing and even sad that she offered him a drink without getting nothing in return.

That's petty to me. Very petty.

He's not even her husband. Just a boyfriend. The probability of them not marrying is there. At this point, he is not an in-law, and cannot be treated as such.

Stop talking about giving gifts. Nobody is saying it's bad to give gifts

People are only talking about the entitlement mentality a mother and daughter decided to have.

He's her boyfriend and it ends at that. The moment he comes for introduction and traditional, we can start talking differently

It's that simple

A real igbo mother will feel like she is pimping her daughter out by collecting anything from him.

My mum then collected all the gift my sister received from the guy that wanted to marry her and kept in her room. instructed the guy not to bring her self anything.

told my sister to take time study the guy and if she change her mind so they can easily return his gifts that the man may not hold anything against her.

boyfriend is boyfriend,if you like baptize it fiance.
If he hasn't paid bride price he is not in-law he is boyfriend.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Cutehector(m): 10:34pm On Jan 08, 2021
28 pages of hilarious comments..

grin

Wahala for who date broke family

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (45) (Reply)

Lady Breastfeeds Her Child During Her Wedding Ceremony - Photos / Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo) / Ladies, Would You Let Your Husband Do This With Your Baby? (Photo/Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.