Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78412 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by shantti(m): 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2021
ceeceeuwa:

Even #250 bread, the Bobo no fit buy!
Their hate for women on this forum won't make them see reasons.

He bought gifts the firsr time, before my sis got married, her fiance became used to coming to our house evrytime, how do u expect us to expect gifts from him, the fist two times he came he brought small gifts, my mom rejected his second gift because it was unnessesary,

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Steps185: 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2021
It is your fault because you need to tell him about bringing a gift to your mother as part of every African culture and your absence is childish. Meet him and apologize you didnt take him serious that is why his presentation is wack.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by sophy17(m): 10:36pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
I Need Your Opinion On This Issue That's Threatening My Relationship

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?

I have read some of your comments to some opinions freely given to you here and honestly speaking, you are not ready for any genuine opinion except the ones you want to hear.

So I will keep my opinion to myself as I don't want to be insulted too.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 10:36pm On Jan 08, 2021
Xmen149:

A real igbo mother will feel like she is pimping her daughter out by collecting anything from him.

My mum then collected all the gift my sister received from the guy that wanted to marry her and kept in her room. instructed the guy not to bring her self anything.

told my sister to take time study the guy and if she change her mind so they can easily return his gifts that the man may not hold anything against her.

boyfriend is boyfriend,if you like baptize it fiance.
If he hasn't paid bride price he is not in-law he is boyfriend.

cc: BRATISLAVA

I hope you understand who a fiancé is in Igbo tradition

It's not when it comes to gifts you'll start talking about tradition

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by coolakins(m): 10:37pm On Jan 08, 2021
I don't really have a problem with what your mum said or expected but I feel very disappointed with your reaction and immaturity. You are not ripe enough to be a wife yet, it's better you keep dating till you become a lot more mature.

I remember when I was about to marry and was visiting my then to-be-in-law. It was my fiancee that advised that the dad would appreciate it if I came with fruits. So I did and even with other things... but personally, I never thought of taking anything along with me if she had not suggested it.

You see where you also slipped? Your reaction afterwards too very shallow!
Our ladies these days are fast degrading and like wise we guys too. A lot is changing and I don't want to imagine what it's going to be like in the next 30years. I fear for my children, for the youth of tomorrow...
May God help us!

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by marsup: 10:37pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

We are Africans. Let us be honest with ourselves.

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
What was the purpose of the visit?
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.
Saying the relationship is threatened because of that is a red flag, and a display of terrible attitude. You don't visit bearing gift always. In other words, if I don't have the wherewithal to get a gift, I can't visit my girl and her mother? really? and what does her father think about this?this is sad, this is silly. let's call a spade a spade. Being African, isn't equal to having long throat.

4 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by shantti(m): 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

I don't know about the others, but in my tribe (Igbo), that's how things are done.
You don't go to your in-laws bare handed.
It is not an act to be proud of.

I am igbo too and am telling u that u are wrong, stop tainting our tribe with euphemistic greed, my brother in law before he married my sis visited us all d time, expecting him to bring gift per visit is illogical

2 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ThiagoKid(m): 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2021
MakyavelitheDon:

After seeing the way you replied some people here on nairaland and after saying you hung up on your future husband it's shows me some things about you
1. You lack grace
2. You're Ill mannered and Ill tempered
3. You have your priorities completely twisted and you have no idea what marriage is about
4. Youre pompous and arrogant

I can go on but let me peg it there.

Now that your mother had used her witchcraft to truncate your marriage plans let her go and bring husband from inside the river for you.

I give that guy kudos for taking off... Both you and your mother don't seem like people a reasonable guy would wanna spend his life connected to
she is 32 na
We. call them evening newspaper here
So, what do u expect? grin

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by MINORU: 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

My fiance wanted to come to the house to see my mum but I told him I won't be around because I'm about heading out to somewhere, so he asked me if my mum would be around, then I said yes and he said he would still go to see her and it doesn't matter if I'm not around.

When I later got home that night, my mum complained that he came empty handed. He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

Although initially, I didn't see anything wrong with that but when my mum expressed her displeasure, I later called him to ask why he came to the house empty handed then I let him know I wasn't happy with him, that it would have been better if he didn't come. He tried arguing with me but I hung up.

Since then, we haven't spoken to each other nor visited each other. Was I wrong?

Tracey Poverty runs in your blood line

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by EndRape2(f): 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
The guy is wrong, even if it is fruits like apple he ought to buy,
If you are going to visit a male friend , fine you might not buy anything, if you are going to visit , your mother inlaw, or friend mother especially for the first time, as a trained child , you must buy something, even if it is bread of 200,naira.

.all these mumu nairaland boys will not learn, but keep insulting the girl and the mother.

quote author=Chujor1634 post=97809439]Your mentality and that of your mum is so annoying, to think that you had to even call him him instead of talking sense to your mum is the height of it all. [/quote]
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Paulianfa(m): 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
Why did u go out when ur man demanded to come visiting? Were u afraid that he is poor or something? U really stabbed the guy real bad by telling him what happen btw ur mom and him, he was shocked and feel shamed. Advice ur mom not to belittle herself like she did, its shameful to expect something from a visitor what if he doesn't have or he have but wanted to tempt u people. If u like apologize to him... always like to calm ur temper and left some word unsaid. Meaning, u shouldn't have let the guy knew ur conversation btw u and ur mom.
U can represent him anyway by buying ur something or dash her money like its from the guy without u letting the guy know, one day ur mom will thank him for the gift... U never know the joy of surprise.
But u no like the guy nah, am I right? only u know this...
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by nonut: 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:

I don't know about the others, but in my tribe (Igbo), that's how things are done.
You don't go to your in-laws bare handed.
It is not an act to be proud of.
Anty', speak for yourself.
I'm an igbo too.
We're not long-throats who are ever ready to collect.
You're probably from Owerri or Mbaise...same with the Tracy girl.
They're the people with this kind of entitlement mentality.
Always waiting to collect...

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Olawest99: 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
No matter how small it is the guy should have bought something for them. I pay my cousin a visit this Christmas and am very broke without knowing what to buy. I later bought orange of 200 naira on my getting there I met his dad, he just came back from abuja. Its not up to 5min of me settling down his dad took knife and started drinking orange and thank me, its as if I knew his tasty for orange. Don't let forget no matter how small what we give open doors
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2021
osazsky:
it has to be igbo..cuz of the way they are so concerned abt material things..my friend who got married to an igbo girl on his wedding list his wife dad added roofing sheets i was shocked.since that day anytime i see amaka i quickly take another route though i was the one who registered her in a tailoring shop.had to run for my life..i was young then sha

I know women from igbo that does that thing.

they label it igbo culture bcs they are fund of bending things concerning Igbos upside down and call it general.

be open about where you guys went to to marry that lady..either abia or imo
..I no won go further sha... anyone that speaks and writes igbo very well will notice the kind of igbo those supporting her are written...lol
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by simplepee(f): 10:43pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mumu girl. You are probably still a kid or you are very unwise.

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Ferrous(m): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2021
Has the young guy visited before?
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by marsup: 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2021
nonut:
Anty', speak for yourself. I'm an igbo too. We're not long-throats who are ever ready to collect. You're probably from Owerri or Mbaise...same with the Tracy girl. They're the people with this kind of entitlement mentality. Always waiting to collect...
True that.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

which one is boyfriend and fiance again..one is correct english the other is pigin English they both mean the same thing...u are called a married man after u have paid the bride price.i nor understand both of una aguement..pls explain to me d diff btw boyfriend and fiance.its a public forum i want to learn something new
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 10:47pm On Jan 08, 2021
izzou:

please educate me..am willing to learn.

bcs in my tradition from the east we dnt have fiance. It's either you have done the rights and take your wife or you are befriending a young maiden .

enlighten me please.

there is nothing like intending in-law in my culture..either ua in-law or not.

intending in-law/fiance and u will be choping one small girl until one day you wake up and disappear. odiegwu

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by odogwunaija(m): 10:48pm On Jan 08, 2021
Regex:
Make it a standard that whoever you date from now on should bring gifts when coming to see you. You should break up with your fiance. He's still a kid.

Really??
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2021
Ferrous:
Has the young guy visited before?
yes o more than 10 times only once the bf couldnt offer gift and d beachh couldnt cover for him spits..how i wish i had d poor guys numb..this is a death trap i swear..but some guys nor get sence cuz of stupid smelling rotten over wide ashewo puna.i can nerver put my dik in dat pit God forpid spits
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by shantti(m): 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2021
Deffjam:
she should not marry him? Haba aunty? Haba mana?

But nah true nah, me i already hate her mother sef
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by engrgd(m): 10:51pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

Your Mom isn't wrong with what she said and you pointing it out to him isn't wrong. He should have gotten something for her no matter how small. He should know that. Please if he wants to leave, let him go. Don't beg him, he's a proud person. You deserve better joor. #MomIsRight
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Lamanii22(f): 10:53pm On Jan 08, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:

Traceey, we have passed that culture things. Now, everyone is trying to be careful and put somethings into test. You see, your man did nothing wrong at all.

How about he does not takes anything to your house but he gives you peace and comfort in marriage and always support if any situation arises in your own family side?

You need to think and go beg your man. So far he's a good guy to you. Somethings just need wisdom. Since he's into going to your house without buying something along. Next time, whenever he wants to go, try and meet him up and handover something to him to give them at home. Maybe as time goes on, he will get used to it. Do this with calm and good words, like you just want your family to see him as a more better good man.

All the very best.

Great advice....
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
Xmen149:

I know women from igbo that does that thing.

they label it igbo culture bcs they are fund of bending things concerning Igbos upside down and call it general.

be open about where you guys went to to marry that lady..either abia or imo
..I no won go further sha... anyone that speaks and writes igbo very well will notice the kind of igbo those supporting her are written...lol
imo o..we all left from edo state cuz he is my childhood friend..after his marraige his catfish biz of over 7k fishes folded up ..this na tru storry o nor be norllywood..na we come dey tip the guy small small thing make e for meet up.as a guy i nor fit see my friend dey suffer make i nor tip am small thing..the guy done they get up back but he doesnt treat his wife well its so sad
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by deepwater(f): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:
I'm not defending my mum. You know these mothers always have a hold on us

Never leave a man who would still insist on visiting your mum even while you are away!

His understanding to check on her means he values her well being even without you being there.

As for your mum, just tell her she is old school.
She would smile and tell you hope he takes care of you the new school very well...its not that deep

4 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by grandlexuz(m): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

"A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men"

Giving gifts will make way for you in the presence of Kings and great men.

Proverbs 18:16 is about a man's talent and not physical gifts.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Olleyrey: 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tracey, you shouldn't have voice this out here... It's disgraceful ���. Forget that relationship... Speaking from personal experience. My friend and his baby Mama broke up because the lady's Mom insulted him and his family indirectly after naming (The elderly woman from Abeokuta is said to be the active voice in the home ) .....Hmmmm, TRACEY, break that string if you want to stay in a Man's house.Next time you're lucky to get a man who will come home, use wisdom. Except your Fiance hasn't told his family and friends �‍♂

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by etimocity(m): 10:55pm On Jan 08, 2021
it shows clear indications how stingy the guy are, if it's wrong at least to go with a loaf of bread to this old woman its also wrong to collect a drink from her too. must you married before you bring the whole world this woman?
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Xmen149(m): 10:56pm On Jan 08, 2021
osazsky:
which one is boyfriend and fiance again..one is correct english the other is pigin English they both mean the same thing...u are called a married man after u have paid the bride price.i nor understand both of una aguement..pls explain to me d diff btw boyfriend and fiance.its a public forum i want to learn something new

Lol,.dnt mind him/her.

My friend Rita. naso one guy dey come. they were calling him fiancé.

bringing gift. naso e knack the girl belle say e no do again.

The father later found out the guy has been giving the mother gifts.

asked the guy why he changed his mind he said he has taken his time to study the girl and two of them cannot work.

The baby girl is 6yrs old now and no day my friends dad wake up and they argue that he will not remind the wife how she sold her daughter to one boy passing road over "ukwu George"...lol

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by osazsky(m): 10:56pm On Jan 08, 2021
engrgd:

Your Mom isn't wrong with what she said and you pointing it out to him isn't wrong. He should have gotten something for her no matter how small. He should know that. Please if he wants to leave, let him go. Don't beg him, he's a proud person. You deserve better joor. #MomIsRight
so if he visits 100 times he would buy 100 gifts..wat of me way marry for the nxt street..most times when coming from work i check on her parents cuz she was doing nysc then.una foolish sha..

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by cyndylove64(f): 10:56pm On Jan 08, 2021
Trayceey:

I expected you to talk to your mum properly by covering for ur finacee instead u are even quarrelling with him .when u visited his parents did

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (45) (Reply)

Lady Breastfeeds Her Child During Her Wedding Ceremony - Photos / Ladies, Would You Let Your Husband Do This With Your Baby? (Photo/Video) / Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.