Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1646016 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 10:13am On Jul 12, 2021
Tylerbaby:
Hello house. So, a friend is currently filling his DS160. He is in the UK studying at the moment. He's a little confused as to what to fill as his home address. Can he fill his house address in the UK or in Nigeria?

It's always preferable to use your native home country as the address (permanent address) - a proof of ties.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ebbie9ja(m): 10:16am On Jul 12, 2021
Can anyone please share a template of a compelling emergency appointment request with me? I want to use it as a goby. Thanks!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hey25(m): 10:46am On Jul 12, 2021
Who's going to University of Utah this fall?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 10:57am On Jul 12, 2021
limosodiq:
I greet you all, and thanks for the good work that you have done on this thread. I want to apply for a PhD in the US with TA or GA, an i have targeted some schools. But I'd like to know if GRE or TOEFL scores should be on ground before emailing potential supervisors or I can tell them I intend to register for the tests after their assurances l.

No need to be on ground but while you contact them know that individual professors also like to see tests scores to assess students for RA( Quant and AW mostly) for numerate courses and Speaking for on TOEFL for TA. So, you should do those standardized test and attach a copy of the results report to the email you are sending to them. If you have a good course works like a first class it helps a lot.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 11:07am On Jul 12, 2021
limosodiq:
I greet you all, and thanks for the good work that you have done on this thread. I want to apply for a PhD in the US with TA or GA, an i have targeted some schools. But I'd like to know if GRE or TOEFL scores should be on ground before emailing potential supervisors or I can tell them I intend to register for the tests after their assurances l.

It depends on the preference of the Professor, and the strength of your extant profile. But ideally, the major reason why you should be contacting a professor is because you have perused his/her research interests/inkling and you notice a significant level of synchronization with yours - simply put you should contact a professor when you like what he's doing/working on and would love to be part of it.

So without GRE or toefl you can contact them. What you should be selling to the professors is how you're a competent student and can withstand the wails and trials of graduate school. This can be demonstrated by other factors - transcripts, awards, publications, work experience. Etc.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Emerald1529: 11:45am On Jul 12, 2021
OlawumiCecilia:
You would fill different ds160 for each. Only a sevis fee is paid. For the sponsorship, the main applicant (student) may put in school while dependents put self

Thank you so much!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mccarthyal(m): 11:45am On Jul 12, 2021
Thanks for the explanation!
Pefuele:

Please, is cost the same as duration?Sorry,if I am blunt. If you need me to lecture you on i-20 let me know...lol Just kidding ! You dnt need to contact me because I prefer to respond to easier and non-personal issues here.

The average cost is 9months because you are going to be on 3months break before the fall session resumes. The duration of your program ( 2021-2023) is 2 years or 24months so that is what you should put on your DS-160. Try correct that on your DS-160. Best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Samuel5555: 11:49am On Jul 12, 2021
Me: Good morning

VO: Good morning, place your fingers there for me.

Me: Alright.

VO: Pass me your i-20, passport and DS-160.

VO: Of course. So, I see you are going to the University of Arkansas for your masters.

Me: Yes, masters in Mechanical Engineering.

VO: Alright, what did you study in your undergrad?

Me: Same Mechanical Engineering, here in Nigeria.

VO: I see you were here June 1st with another course of study and another school?

Me: Yes, my plan was to take the rehabilitation counseling online and after my admission i was given a 50% GA with a condition to resume on campus for the GA to be valid and reflect on my porter by then other schools i applied to with my main area of specialization said the is currently no funding. So when i came to the embassy i could not demonstrate how it relates to my undergraduate i was denied and two weeks after i got another offer in my undergraduate course with a tuition waiver. So i decided to come back, maybe later do the rehabilitation counseling online after my return to Nigeria.

VO: What do you do currently?

Me: Am into maintenance and configuration of point of sale terminals with Zenith Bank

VO: how many schools did you apply to?

Me: i applied to 4 schools of which are UA, MTSU UALR and SCSU. I got admission from 3

VO: why this school?

Me: outside the graduate assistantship which covers my tuition, I was fascinated by the current research in the department by Dr. Andrew Wright which is Mechatronics Design which align best with my future career goal.

VO: Alright. What will this program do for you?

Me: This degree from the US will give me an in-depth practical skills which will in turn place me in a very competitive positive in the Engineering Design industry. After the program am coming back to Nigeria to take a research assistant position with NADDC national automobile design and development council here in Abuja.

VO: cuts in.. is that a federal government agency

Me: Yes. The sore aim is to initiate, recommend, supervised and regulate policies and programmes for a locally manufactured vehicles and it's components. Now we have just lunched electric cars in Nigeria.

VO: What's your research interest

Me: Mechatronics Design and i will be working with Dr. Andrew Wright

VO: Alright. Tell me about your study plan

Me: the program is for two years and i will be taking a 34 credits load, also i will be taking 9 credit this semester of which the courses are advance thermodynamics, Mechanical Vibration and Hear transfer.

VO: Who is paying for your trip

Me: I have a tuition waiver with a stipend but the deficit will be handled by my uncle

VO: Where does he live?

Me: Benin City, here in Nigeria.

VO: what does he do?

Me: he is into sales of industrial building equipments and a major distributor of bua cement

VO: i will be approving your Visa.

Me: thank you.
Please help a friend of mine on this proposed transcript and email the correction to my email samuelovbiebo@gmail.com

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Sugahylz(f): 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2021
Malone122:
I hope dates open up just checked Lagos and I’m seeing no available dates while Abuja I’m seeing October 2021

How did you check please ? Kindly put me through please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2021
Abuja approving emergency applications. My friend that applied about 2 weeks ago has been approved. He has scheduled July 21

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chuksmanred: 1:03pm On Jul 12, 2021
Abuja emergency request approved this morning at about 3:29 am. Woke up and saw it.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AONAIRA: 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2021
JavanElsevier41:

Send me a mail.

Okay thanks. I just did.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by vickysunmomi(f): 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
chuksmanred:
Abuja emergency request approved this morning at about 3:29 am. Woke up and saw it.

Did you check through the portal or you got notification on your mail?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ABIODUNDE: 1:54pm On Jul 12, 2021
H
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ABIODUNDE: 1:55pm On Jul 12, 2021
ABIODUNDE:
H

Good evening house, pls I need your advise.

I want to apply for MSc in public health, apart from GRE, is TOEFL compulsory incase they ask at the embassy.

Secondly have applied five times for conference and visiting respectively at US embassy, all denied. Despite all my refusal can I still apply for student visa for my MSc.

Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by charlessupremo: 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2021
Futuragetty:

It's very simple. Once you have paid the visa appointment fee. schedule the earliest date available on your portal and request for an expedited interview.

Remember if you write anyhow message, you may get an anyhow response.

PS: You must attach your Sevis fee payment printout and I-20.

All the best!
Can one be lucky to get an expedited appointment before August 2021 after been denied f1 visa early this month of July.
I really need a good instructor who can put me through
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Greenman2020(m): 2:28pm On Jul 12, 2021
Visa interview transcript
School: MSU
Program: PhD Sociology
Scholarship: Full funding + Teaching Assistantship
Deficit: 3k
GRE: YES
TOEFL: Nil
Bsc in Sociology (Federal University)
Highest Educational level: Msc, Criminology (Federal University)
Undergraduate Gpa: 3.44/4.0
Msc Gpa: 3.2/4.0

No of F1 Attempts at the US embassy (3), denied in 2019 for Masters in Criminology with zero funding at West Texas A&M University. Denied again last year November with full funding in the same school for which my visa was approved today. (I posted my last denial transcript here. You can click on my profile to read it, if you like - of course.
Abuja Embassy July 12th 2021

My interview lasted about 3 minutes. Here we go:

Massive palls of grey and black clouds hovered above the beautiful city of Abuja, a clear indication that Rain was warming up in the sidelines of the heavens, as I hopped into the waiting Bolt taxi which I had ordered a while ago. It was my first time in Abuja, I should say. As we drove from my lodge to the embassy, I admired the smoothness of the broad roads, how it gleamed in the distance, how it reminds me of the head of Papa Ajasco of Wale Adenuga production, and the many towering, foggy and greeny hills which rose like the back of an elephant from different corners of the city.

I arrived the premises of the embassy around 6.40am but we were not allowed in until it was about past seven. As expected, there was an heavy presence of people I would, I beg your pardon, call "embassy rats", those people who try to sell you water while you are in the midst of an ocean. Those who would say, Bros you go need passport o. Bros make we staple your form. Bros this. Bros that. But I ignored them all, except for a woman, I would later find her name to be Rose, who volunteered to take custody of my phone at zero cost. I rewarded her handsomely later, anyways.

Once the order came that we could proceed into the interview venue, I joined other applicants, mostly students, into the interview venue. We waited for a long time before a Nigerian man came into the waiting lobby to begin what seemed to me as a confirmation of appointments and documents. To save the reader's time, I went through other protocols before my turn to meet the VO, to meet with destiny eventually came. The place was window 8 and sitted there was a pretty, young, and stern-looking white lady who was just dishing out rejections like Akara.

VO: Good morning

Me: Good morning ma

VO: Pass me your i-20 and passport then place your hands on the scanner for the biometric capture.

Me: Okay ma. (I passed the documents to her and placed my hands on the scanner)

VO: I see that you're going for your doctorate in Sociology at MSU

ME: That's correct.

VO: Tell me about the research you plan to conduct

Me: My research is in the area of cybercrime and access to economic opportunities. Precisely, under the supervision of Prof XYZ I will be investigating the correlation between access to economic opportunities and youth involvement in cybercrime.
VO: Okay. Alright (kept typing into the system). Is your research going to focus on Nigeria?

ME: (VO give me through pass, I no gock am) Yes. Nigeria has had several issues with cybercrime in recent times. My research will be focused on Nigeria.

VO: Tell me about your plans after your studies

Me: I plan to return to Nigeria to take up a full-time lecturing job. I've always wanted to become a professor of Sociology. I also plan to publish academic papers that would interrogate and proffer solutions to the challenges of Cybercrime in Nigeria.

VO: Okay. So you plan to become an academic?

Me: Yes.

VO: Okay. I will be approving your visa. (Hands me the white paper and begin to talk about Covid-19 protocols bla bla bla. My ear don already block like ghetto soakaway. Lol

Me: Collects white paper with thanksgiving in my heart and left smiling.

NB: Take your case to God in prayers even if you're an atheist. The issuance of visa at the embassy, in my opinion, is 30% hardwork and 70% grace, if you like call it luck. However, this is not a liberty to relax. Work hard and also pray hard. I will advise whoever is attending the interview to be straightforward with answers. Only say what you are asked to minimize the risk of saying things that might potentially be used against you by the VO. Also try as much as possible to make your responses unique.

SPECIAL APPRECIATION
I am grateful to my friend Seun in the US who helped me throughout this visa application process. I am also thankful to my friend Babs who never gave up on me. Of course, I also thank all the beautiful people here whose transcripts and inputs have helped me tremendously. Big shout out to Fairheart who gave his expert opinion on my last rejection and encouraged me to apply again. To those who are still dreaming, don't give up. Cheers!

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Thane(m): 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
TheReaper17:
Try Georgia Southern University. Check through google, there are hundreds of schools offering MPH. Best of luck

Thanks very much boss

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pace6: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
Greenman2020:

No of F1 Attempts at the US embassy (3), denied in 2019 for Masters in Criminology with zero funding at West Texas A&M University. Denied again last year November with full funding in the same school for which my visa was approved today. (I posted my last denial transcript here. You can click on my profile to read it, if you like - of course.

Massive palls of grey and black clouds hovered above the beautiful city of Abuja, a clear indication that Rain was warming up in the sidelines of the heavens, as I hopped into the waiting Bolt taxi which I had ordered a while ago. It was my first time in Abuja, I should say. As we drove from my lodge to the embassy, I admired the smoothness of the broad roads, how it gleamed in the distance, how it reminds me of the head of Papa Ajasco of Wale Adenuga production, and the many towering, foggy and greeny hills which rose like the back of an elephant from different corners of the city.

I arrived the premises of the embassy around 6.40am but we were not allowed in until it was about past seven. As expected, there was an heavy presence of people I would, I beg your pardon, call "embassy rats", those people who try to sell you water while you are in the midst of an ocean. Those who would say, Bros you go need passport o. Bros make we staple your form. Bros this. Bros that. But I ignored them all, except for a woman, I would later find her name to be Rose, who volunteered to take custody of my phone at zero cost. I rewarded her handsomely later, anyways.

Once the order came that we could proceed into the interview venue, I joined other applicants, mostly students, into the interview venue. We waited for a long time before a Nigerian man came into the waiting lobby to begin what seemed to me as a confirmation of appointments and documents. To save the reader's time, I went through other protocols before my turn to meet the VO, to meet with destiny eventually came. The place was window 8 and sitted there was a pretty, young, and stern-looking white lady who was just dishing out rejections like Akara.

VO: Pass me your i-20 and passport then place your hands on the scanner for the biometric capture.

Me: My research is in the area of cybercrime and access to economic opportunities. Precisely, under the supervision of Prof XYZ I will be investigating the correlation between access to economic opportunities and youth involvement in cybercrime.
VO: Okay. Alright (kept typing into the system). Is your research going to focus on Nigeria?

ME: (VO give me through pass, I no gock am) Yes. Nigeria has had several issues with cybercrime in recent times. My research will be focused on Nigeria.

Me: I plan to return to Nigeria to take up a full-time lecturing job. I've always wanted to become a professor of Sociology. I also plan to publish academic papers that would interrogate and proffer solutions to the challenges of Cybercrime in Nigeria.

VO: Okay. I will be approving your visa. (Hands me the white paper and begin to talk about Covid-19 protocols bla bla bla. My ear don already block like ghetto soakaway. Lol

NB: Take your case to God in prayers even if you're an atheist. The issuance of visa at the embassy, in my opinion, is 30% hardwork and 70% grace, if you like call it luck. However, this is not a liberty to relax. Work hard and also pray hard. I will advise whoever is attending the interview to be straightforward with answers. Only say what you are asked to minimize the risk of saying things that might potentially be used against you by the VO. Also try as much as possible to make your responses unique.

SPECIAL APPRECIATION
I am grateful to my friend Seun in the US who helped me throughout this visa application process. I am also thankful to my friend Babs who never gave up on me. Of course, I also thank all the beautiful people here whose transcripts and inputs have helped me tremendously. Big shout out to Fairheart who gave his expert opinion on my last rejection and encouraged me to apply again. To those who are still dreaming, don't give up. Cheers!

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tupsky: 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2021
Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 12, 2021
Congratulations!

Greenman2020:

SPECIAL APPRECIATION

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Samuel5555: 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2021
Please do they make reference to your previous denial for November last yr?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 2:52pm On Jul 12, 2021
Greenman2020:

SPECIAL APPRECIATION

Congrats. Is this Mississippi State University or Michigan State University or Montclair State University or , Missouri State University ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bunmibanlyz(f): 2:53pm On Jul 12, 2021
Hello house,

Please my visa was approved last Thursday in Lagos but my visa status is still showing Administrative processing and my passport status showing that it is in the embassy. Please how long does it take to get one's passport after approval? and should I be worried at this point.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Amenndmore: 2:54pm On Jul 12, 2021
harveygordon:
Hi people. My friend made a mistake on his visa application when booking appointment. He entered only first name without his middlename. How can he can he correct it?

Please I am also interested in this answer, thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Oyeyemidesign: 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
Amenndmore:

Please I am also interested in this answer, thanks
No need to be worried
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
Samuel5555:
Please do they make reference to your previous denial for November last yr?

It is claimed that VO looks at individual VISA categories separately with your current interview it is better to ensure your previous history tally. I mean B1/B2 if you are currently going for B1/B2 or F1/F2 if you are currently going for F1/F2. it is better to ensure your history tally in all categories so they make reference to histories. For security reasons there are some things I can't share here so let's leave it like that. Best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jossyklan: 3:01pm On Jul 12, 2021
Congratulations � � �. Grace at work. Grace meets preparedness.

Greenman2020:

SPECIAL APPRECIATION

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Approvalll: 3:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
Congratulations the God that did it for you will do it for us in JESUS NAME AMEN
Greenman2020:

SPECIAL APPRECIATION

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Approvalll: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
Please when did you request for emergency appointment?
chuksmanred:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chuksmanred: 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2021
Greenman2020:

SPECIAL APPRECIATION

Big Congratulations! Brother Man

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chuksmanred: 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2021
vickysunmomi:

Did you check through the portal or you got notification on your mail?
I got an email from them. They must surely send you an email.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: Blackfinegirl(f), Jedooooo(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.