Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1644220 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
Go ahead, craft a good message and upload all the right documents.

didogzy:
Please guys, I applied for an Emergency appointment and was denied but the emergency appointment link is still showing on my portal. Can I reapply for EA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Qpearl: 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2021
Noted

drjustice17:
I'm going for masters in Public health, in US and my sponsor is via my LGA. Through scholarship,
It covers tuition fees, housing, books and monthly stipends. What documents do I need to present to Embassy . thanks

quote author=fairheart post=100785715]ON EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT REQUEST.

Please do not request for emergency appointment if you were unable to get suitable date for your program start date. The U.S embassy will not approve expedient request that is outside the stated 60-days to program start date. According to the U.S website, emergency appointment will only be approved if requested within the 60 days of your course/program start date as stated on your i-20.

In addition, you must have paid your SEVIS fee, schedule any available date and start your DSFORM if you are requesting within the given period.
I am sharing this as some students are denied emergency request. Don't waste the chances to get a better date. It is not the time to request for emergency. Relax.

More dates will be released for Lagos Consulate and Abuja embassy. Keep checking your CGI account, and if you see new dates, screenshot it and post on this thread so that others can benefit. Do not pay any agent to look for date for you; new dates will be released and you will be able to book by yourself.

A side note:
Remember the rule for a successful interview. Be confident, speak up and be heard and make sure you flow. Create no unnecessary story in your response to the consular questions. Be on point, straightforward, maintain eyes contact. Also, listen carefully when the VO is about to ask you a question. You may need to lean towards the tiny speaker on the right side of the counter window.

F-1 INTERVIEW DOCUMENT CHECKLIST
Make sure you have all the basic and required documents with you
1, SEVIS fee payment confirmation receipt
2, GTB visa fee receipt
3, I-20 (signed)
4, DS-160 confirmation printout showing your passport photograph as uploaded.
5, VERY IMPORTANT: Interview Appointment Confirmation printout showing the same DS-160 ID Number on your DS160 Confirmation (If you mix this number up, you will not be interviewed, and you will have to fill a new dsform and potentially book for another appointment).
6, 1-2 passport photograph of the same you uploaded online on your DS160 application.
7, Scholarship letter or funding appointment letter (if there’s any).
8, Sponsor official bank statement, signed and stamped, showing more than the total cost of attendance in Naira or in USD or other currency available.

All the best for fall 2021 hopefuls. smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by akomzy123: 12:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
The fact that you studied Biotechnology in Rusaai is a reg flag . US is very careful with anything that has to do with Russia, North Korea and China

Highzhikk:
Has anyone been placed on Administrative processing? How long did it take?

People, I went for my interview on 7th of July (Fully funded offer, PhD Biotechnology) everything was going fine until the VO asked if I have travelled out of Nigeria before. I answered that I have gone to Russia for MSc in Biotechnology.

The VO went away for like 20mins and she came back and told me that she was checking about my course. After another five minutes she hand me the 221g form for Administrative processing that they need more time to research about my course in Russia (It happens that Biotechnology and some other STEM courses are on the technology Alert list).

Who has been in this situation and how did you solve it?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by oluayebenz: 12:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
revenant:
Visa Approved
Lagos Consulate
Alot of blue papers flying across board on that day.
I arrive lagos on Sunday all the hotels that was recommended here to me where fully booked that (it was showering so everywhere is abit cold) evening. Finally got one by 9pm.

My interview experience below:

She did more of typing/reading than asking me questions.

VO: Good morning and welcome, give me your 1-20/passport
Me: Good morning, here is it.
VO: Typed/read for about 1-2minutes, She then ask why do you want to study this course in this (She never mentioned the name of the school) school.
Me: I want to study this course in this school because of the research work of Professor James Madison which I believe can be easily transferred to case studies in the region where I am from in Nigeria (She looked at me with surprised). His research at the moment is on solute transport modeling of contaminant in groundwater, I believe the skills and knowledge I will acquire from working with him on this project will help me address the issue of groundwater contamination we are currently facing. The region where I am from, we are faced with a range of challenges one of which is groundwater contamination.
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask what will you do with this course?.
Me: I want to set up my own Environmental Consulting Firm to work with Federal Ministry of Environment and Water Resources in ensuring that there is access to clean water for everyone in the region.
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask I see you have a deficit ($10, 560), who is paying?
Me: My friend who is based in Canada (She looked at me)
VO: Is he a Canadian?
VO: No
VO: What is your relationship with him?
Me: He is my friend from childhood, we grew up in the same neighborhood. He is passionate about my plans of establishing my own consulting firm.
VO: What does he do
Me: He work with an SSS organization in Canada
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask where do you work?
Me: I work with DYZ Services; we are into a range of work that include groundwater investigation and borehole development.
VO: Gave me the white paper and said I should follow the instructions on the paper.

Note:
What I notice on that day is that alot of persons are largely unprepared for the interview. There was this guy who built up his case very well and then the VO ask him where is the bank statement of his sponsor, he said he didn't bring it and that he had used it to apply for his 1-20 initial. There where others I can't mention here.

My interview wasn't as smooth as it is up there, but I ensured that I nailed all the points. After preparations pray to the being you serve. I prayed to God, because in my own case I cannot take God out of the scheme of thing (not by my power).

I just thought I should share this here.

Like seriously angry

This is Grace

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Highzhikk: 12:52pm On Jul 11, 2021
I know, that's why I am asking if anyone has been in such situations before. I was told that it's only a matter of some background checks and the visa will be issued. How long? I wasn't told
akomzy123:
The fact that you studied Biotechnology in Rusaai is a reg flag . US is very careful with anything that has to do with Russia, North Korea and China

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Samongo(m): 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
Pls kindly assist, I need answers and opinions on this;

1) Pls can I use a Micro finance bank account statement for my sponsor for visa processing?

2) Just got my I-20 some days ago and trying to pay my sevis, pls can I get an expedite interview in Lagos as my resumption date is 20th of August?[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Onyeagba24: 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2021
chuksmanred:

I will turn 29 this October. Actually my dad is a radiographer. I chose biomedical engineering to be a technical consultant based on servicing Medical equipments to give good results. Cuz the guy that services my dad's medical equipments bills him high knowing the technicians are scarce.

I have the full funding from my dad for the four years.
I don't know if my genuine reasons are convincing enough.

Please go ahead and apply, nobody here is a VO and so long as your reasons are genuine and you can defend it.
I was told the same thing about my age and the fact that I finished my 1st bachelors in 2014 but my visa was approved at my very 1st attempt last month. God is faithful and will guide you.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
Samongo:
Pls kindly assist, I need answers and opinions;

Alright
Send a PM.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by francis00(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2021
Sharon8:

Yes, the embassy can seize a passport if they find any of the stamps on the passport to be fake.
At sharon,so what can someone do if such case arises, I need opinions
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by francis00(m): 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2021
Malone122:
okay If it’s so you can go to the embassy with the new passport and fill what transpired with the old passport In your DS160
Obviously you would be asked if you have misplaced a passport before…so fill correctly in your ds160 the full details…
Then when going to the embassy try and get a police report for the loss of the old passport and you should be good to go
Goodluck
Thanks alot man,I really appreciate,I will try and search for schools then in the state,so as to apply,once again thanks alot.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ebbie9ja(m): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2021
For Contact Person in the U.S, I can only fill either the name of an individual or Organization Name. If I uncheck "Do Not Know" box for one, the other automatically checks itself and blank out. Please confirm this is not peculiar to me.

Only the initial of my other name was written on my I-20 (Firstname and Lastname are fully spelt). Although passport name on same document is written in full including my other name. When I wanted to pay for SEVIS Fee, I saw an instruction that the name entered should be exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. Can I proceed with the payment with my full name as it is on DS-160 or I should pend the action until the name on I-20 is corrected?

@Moshkom @Prodigee @Pefuele @Malone122

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bukhety(f): 4:09pm On Jul 11, 2021
I have a question about f2 visa. How much should a sponsor have in his/her account that would convince the VO for 3 children and a spouse.

I intend looking for full scholarship. Planning for fall 2022.

Also, is there any type of scholarship that covers dependants?

Thanks in advance.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pace6: 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
Onyeagba24:

Please go ahead and apply, nobody here is a VO and so long as your reasons are genuine and you can defend it.
I was told the same thing about my age and the fact that I finished my 1st bachelors in 2014 but my visa was approved at my very 1st attempt last month. God is faithful and will guide you.

Please can I DM you for some info?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TOPMAN5252: 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Where , Lagos or Abuja?
didogzy:
Please guys, I applied for an Emergency appointment and was denied but the emergency appointment link is still showing on my portal. Can I reapply for EA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chuksmanred: 5:44pm On Jul 11, 2021
Onyeagba24:

Thanks brother. I really tap from your Grace. I give deaf ears to discouraging advice.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Approvalll: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
Congratulations
revenant:
Visa Approved
Lagos Consulate
Alot of blue papers flying across board on that day.
I arrive lagos on Sunday all the hotels that was recommended here to me where fully booked that (it was showering so everywhere is abit cold) evening. Finally got one by 9pm.

My interview experience below:

She did more of typing/reading than asking me questions.

VO: Good morning and welcome, give me your 1-20/passport
Me: Good morning, here is it.
VO: Typed/read for about 1-2minutes, She then ask why do you want to study this course in this (She never mentioned the name of the school) school.
Me: I want to study this course in this school because of the research work of Professor James Madison which I believe can be easily transferred to case studies in the region where I am from in Nigeria (She looked at me with surprised). His research at the moment is on solute transport modeling of contaminant in groundwater, I believe the skills and knowledge I will acquire from working with him on this project will help me address the issue of groundwater contamination we are currently facing. The region where I am from, we are faced with a range of challenges one of which is groundwater contamination.
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask what will you do with this course?.
Me: I want to set up my own Environmental Consulting Firm to work with Federal Ministry of Environment and Water Resources in ensuring that there is access to clean water for everyone in the region.
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask I see you have a deficit ($10, 560), who is paying?
Me: My friend who is based in Canada (She looked at me)
VO: Is he a Canadian?
VO: No
VO: What is your relationship with him?
Me: He is my friend from childhood, we grew up in the same neighborhood. He is passionate about my plans of establishing my own consulting firm.
VO: What does he do
Me: He work with an SSS organization in Canada.
VO: Typed/read for another 1-2 minutes then she ask where do you work?
Me: I work with DYZ Services; we are into a range of work that include groundwater investigation and borehole development.
VO: Gave me the white paper and said I should follow the instructions on the paper.

Note:
What I notice on that day is that alot of persons are largely unprepared for the interview. There was this guy who built up his case very well and then the VO ask him where is the bank statement of his sponsor, he said he didn't bring it and that he had used it to apply for his 1-20 initial. There where others I can't mention here.

My interview wasn't as smooth as it is up there, but I ensured that I nailed all the points. After preparations pray to the being you serve. I prayed to God, because in my own case I cannot take God out of the scheme of thing (not by my power).

I just thought I should share this here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by teejhaay: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
Did you get funding? I have MS Mechanical Engineering admission too for fall but no funding, tried my best to reach out to potential advisor yet no positive response.
kinzrael:
I have an offer for Msc in mechanical Engineering too at the University of Alabama, kindly send me you number so can chat.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 6:14pm On Jul 11, 2021
ebbie9ja:
Please share with just4e21(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks.

Sent

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Amenndmore: 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2021
Please is Lagos giving out emergency appointments or just Abuja. If just Abuja is it possible to switch between both places to reschedule?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 6:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
bukhety:
I have a question about f2 visa. How much should a sponsor have in his/her account that would convince the VO for 3 children and a spouse.

I intend looking for full scholarship. Planning for fall 2022.

Also, is there any type of scholarship that covers dependants?

Thanks in advance.

The amount depends on how much is the deficits in the school you applied to.

Yeap some schools offer scholarships that cover dependent but they are few and far in between.

What is your under-graduate degree?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2021
Samongo:
Pls kindly assist, I need answers and opinions on this;

1) Pls can I use a Micro finance bank account statement for my sponsor for visa processing?

2) Just got my I-20 some days ago and trying to pay my sevis, pls can I get an expedite interview in Lagos as my resumption date is 20th of August?

1. Sure but it must be a good and legit SOA.

2. You can go ahead to pay your SEVIS fee. I am not sure of Lagos now but I believe Abuja is still giving expedited slots. So best bet is Abuja.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bukhety(f): 7:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Pefuele:

The amount depends on how much is the deficits in the school you applied to.

Yeap some schools offer scholarships that cover dependent but they are few and far in between.

What is your under-graduate degree?
Bsc. Public Relations and Advertising. It's a mass communication course. Graduated 2011 with 4.2gpa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jpseason: 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
akomzy123:
He he a citizen? He just graduated, does he has financial capability to invite you? He is even meant to return to Nigeria after graduation, so why is he inviting you?

Lol this answer is funny, and I’m sure you know this yourself .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 7:25pm On Jul 11, 2021
bukhety:

Bsc. Public Relations and Advertising. It's a mass communication course. Graduated 2011 with 4.2gpa

Ok. To get a full ride scholarships you will need to do lots of research since it is not STEM. Start now. Good-luck!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mrsmideP: 8:07pm On Jul 11, 2021
ebbie9ja:
For Contact Person in the U.S, I can only fill either the name of an individual or Organization Name. If I uncheck "Do Not Know" box for one, the other automatically checks itself and blank out. Please confirm this is not peculiar to me.

Only the initial of my other name was written on my I-20 (Firstname and Lastname are fully spelt). Although passport name on same document is written in full including my other name. When I wanted to pay for SEVIS Fee, I saw an instruction that the name entered should be exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. Can I proceed with the payment with my full name as it is on DS-160 or I should pend the action until the name on I-20 is corrected?

Please I am also having similar problem with the person in U S contact .Have you rectified it? How did you go about it, if yes please . Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Omonikansoso: 8:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Approvalll:
When did you apply for your emergency appointment?

How did you do it please. Applied since Thursday abuja no response up til now. How long did it take them to respond to you. What reasons did you give in your letter thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mrsmideP: 8:11pm On Jul 11, 2021
ebbie9ja:

I am having similar problem with the U.S contact also, how did you correct that please? Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
mrsmideP:

I am having similar problem with the U.S contact also, how did you correct that please? Thank you
just fill your school official
As the contact person I’m sure it’s on your I-20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2021
ebbie9ja:

just fill your school official
As the contact person I’m sure it’s on your I-20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bukhety(f): 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
Pefuele:

Ok. To get a full ride scholarships you will need to do lots of research since it is not STEM. Start now. Good-luck!
Thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 8:47pm On Jul 11, 2021
AONAIRA:
Hi Javan, can you please DM me the lady that helped you. Thank you.
Send me a mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.