Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,233 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? (44702 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Ab Isong: Our Parents' Beds Lasted Longer Because They Were Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 8:40pm On Jan 13, 2021
Pochettino:

This question displays your level of intellect to be at a very low level.

If anyone takes a beating in silence, how can a third-party EVER know? Your brain is too watery, add garri to it.

Going by ur theory, how then did u arrive at d following conclusion?:

"Because your mothers could take severe beatings in silence."

"Pretty sure your mom did"

Since u can't answer d question above based on ur previous comments, can we then say u are d personification of d following charactistics u outlined above?:

1. Low level of intellect
2. Watery brain with garri added to it
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Pochettino(f): 9:43pm On Jan 13, 2021
lexy2014:

Going by ur theory, how then did u arrive at d following conclusion?:

Since u can't answer d question above based on ur previous comments, can we then say u are d personification of d following charactistics u outlined above?:

1. Low level of intellect
2. Watery brain with garri added to it

Dude you are still on this? grin grin cheesy cheesy
Dis tin really pain u oo. Move on, son. Let it go. Its called 'life'.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 5:44am On Jan 14, 2021
Pochettino:

Dude you are still on this? grin grin cheesy cheesy
Dis tin really pain u oo. Move on, son. Let it go. Its called 'life'.

If anyone takes a beating in silence, how can a third-party EVER know? Your brain is too watery, add garri to it."

I think u got it twisted. When someone says d above, it's not d person u say it to that is pained or hurt by d words. It's u who is saying d words that is actually hurt and pained. because those words can only come from a place of hurt and pain. Your words are actually a reflection of how u feel about urself. If i was pained as u think, I would have responded in kind but pain is not in me so I can't come down to ur level of pain no matter how many offensive words u throw at me.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Pochettino(f): 8:27am On Jan 14, 2021
lexy2014:

"[s]Because your mothers could take severe beatings in silence."

If anyone takes a beating in silence, how can a third-party EVER know? Your brain is too watery, add garri to it."

I think u got it twisted. When someone says d above, it's not d person u say it to that is pained or hurt by d words. It's u who is saying d words that is actually hurt and pained. because those words can only come from a place of hurt and pain. Your words are actually a reflection of how u feel about urself. If i was pained as u think, I would have responded in kind but pain is not in me so I can't come down to ur level of pain no matter how many offensive words u throw at me.[/s]

Oga you are pained. That's why you keep quoting me over a stale issue to see if you can get an opportunity to hit back cuz I damaged you psychologically.

Go sleep abeg. This is the last response you'll get from me.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 8:34am On Jan 14, 2021
Pochettino:

Oga you are pained. That's why you keep quoting me over a stale issue to see if you can get an opportunity to hit back cuz I damaged you psychologically.

Go sleep abeg. This is the last response you'll get from me.

I don't need to hit u back. U have already hit urself back with ur choice of words. Your words are doing d hitting for me that's why I said ur words are only a reflection of how u feel about yourself. If u feel healthy about urself, u will naturally choose healthy words. So if u are "damaged psychologically" as u say, it will reflect in how u express yourself. So far, u haven't disappointed
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by DonroxyII: 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2021
GoldHorse:
We (over) copied the western culture. Simple!
This is it ... Time has not changed ... the world is still the world ... we just become more "woke" due to "over" copying Caucasians Culture... For every action there are consequences ....

Our Marriage is suffering due to westernisation!!

When you copy a culture, you have to modify it by sieving its sands and stones... then add the good ones to your own already sieved culture... that's what makes a STANDARD CULTURE devoid of Evils!!

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by GoldHorse(m): 11:39pm On Jan 18, 2021
DonroxyII:
This is it ... Time has not changed ... the world is still the world ... we just become more "woke" due to "over" copying Caucasians Culture... For every action there are consequences ....

Our Marriage is suffering due to westernisation!!

When you copy a culture, you have to modify it by sieving its sands and stones... then add the good ones to your own already sieved culture... that's what makes a STANDARD CULTURE devoid of Evils!!

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by otorman: 6:06am On Jan 24, 2021
rawfact:

I guess you are not married. Please don't ever fall for that claim.

Rather, marry a God-fearing lady that you are well older than, financially better than (i.e. she should be working - busy), of the same tribe with you, same faith (not just same religion) with you, and most-importantly, is HAPPY SUBMITTING to you. Make such a lady happy and you would experience bliss non-stop in your marriage.

Bonus Tip:
If you are favoured enough to get the lady described above that is not from a broken home but raised by both parents (not aunties, etc.) for at least two decades, and she has no child or womb issues from any previous relationship; don't bother negotiating her bride price because you are taking "peace of mind", "long life" and "increased prosperity" back home as a wife. Your responsibility is just to take good care of your Jewel. smiley
Are you saying marriages with other tribe can't work out.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 24, 2021
otorman:

Are you saying marriages with other tribe can't work out.

Happily, most of the time? Yes, especially in this era where "One Nigeria" is merely a fugazi. The so-called love would be short-lived when the marriage actually commences and the marriage would naturally inherit some of the insecurities and anxieties (problems) in Nigeria from neighbours, relations, friends, colleagues or others. It is just a matter of time except both of them resides outside Nigeria.

Lots would also threaten the peace and tranquility of the marriage. Worst, if the wife is not submissive, the cultural difference between them would really spark a lot of trouble in the home and would cause them to distance from one another while perennially craving for the company of their tribesmen. In short, it would drain a lot of energy, happiness, joy, concentration and even finances. Even the kids might be not spared as they would battle with identity crisis (from a cultural point of view) vis-à-vis required norms and values as they grow up.

If you are in one, I suggest you let everything end in dating, just for the purpose of being more experienced on relationship issues. Same goes for interfaith marriage. You would mostly-likely regret using marriage to try to covert or make someone a devotee of your faith/religion. The regret/frustration would be similar to using marriage to secure financial freedom as a man.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by otorman: 8:03am On Jan 25, 2021
rawfact:

Happily, most of the time? Yes, especially in this era where "One Nigeria" is merely a fugazi. The so-called love would be short-lived when the marriage actually commences and the marriage would naturally inherit some of the insecurities and anxieties (problems) in Nigeria from neighbours, relations, friends, colleagues or others. It is just a matter of time except both of them resides outside Nigeria.

Lots would also threaten the peace and tranquility of the marriage. Worst, if the wife is not submissive, the cultural difference between them would really spark a lot of trouble in the home and would cause them to distance from one another while perennially craving for the company of their tribesmen. In short, it would drain a lot of energy, happiness, joy, concentration and even finances. Even the kids might be not spared as they would battle with identity crisis (from a cultural point of view) vis-à-vis required norms and values as they grow up.

If you are in one, I suggest you let everything end in dating, just for the purpose of being more experienced on relationship issues. Same goes for interfaith marriage. You would mostly-likely regret using marriage to try to covert or make someone a devotee of your faith/religion. The regret/frustration would be similar to using marriage to secure financial freedom as a man.
You made a whole lot of point and eye opener but my question is what happens to those top people engaged in intertribal marriages like ganduje and ajimobis.
Or is it that people at the lower echelons think this way.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 25, 2021
otorman:

You made a whole lot of point and eye opener but my question is what happens to those top people engaged in intertribal marriages like ganduje and ajimobis.
Or is it that people at the lower echelons think this way.

My communication wasn't borne out of a mindset. In fact, if we are to talk about mindset, I had a liberal mindset before the experiences of those involved helped me to have a better understanding.

Concerning politicians regularly getting involved in inter-tribal marriage, the subject matter here is having a sustainable happy marriage for decades. Not just being married and posting fake smiles on Instagram and other social media for whatever purpose. Though, I understand for those destined to have inter-tribal marriages. For them, I believe destiny will take its course, and water down the differences/incompatibilities to a large extent. But logically, it is a very-challenging route.

Though, a submissive wife can actually solve the puzzle/challenges of inter-tribal marriage and that is why such marriage wasn't an issue in the days of our parents, grandparents and so on, when wives were naturally submissive to their husbands.

But a large proportion of today's wives, particularly those influenced by Western Culture relate submission to slavery or village (illiterate) attitude, and they perpetually dissociate from it, thereby causing lots of fight, resentment and bitterness at home; which sometimes even lead to the crashing (divorce) of the marriage. As we all know, the average Nigerian Man will always stand his ground as the head of his home, where there can never be two heads.

So, I suggest you peep into the future of the marriage you want vis-à-vis other important areas of your life before selecting (approving) the lady you believe would fit in. That would be better than carelessly (gullibly) settling down with a lady that would disorganize your life and lineage.

Finally, never use all you see or read about politicians to make important life decisions such as marriage. I've worked closely with a couple of them and I know what I'm saying.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by otorman: 9:52pm On Jan 25, 2021
rawfact:

My communication wasn't borne out of a mindset. In fact, if we are to talk about mindset, I had a liberal mindset before the experiences of those involved helped me to have a better understanding.

Concerning politicians regularly getting involved in inter-tribal marriage, the subject matter here is having a sustainable happy marriage for decades. Not just being married and posting fake smiles on Instagram and other social media for whatever purpose.

Truth is, a submissive wife can actually solve the puzzle/challenges of inter-tribal marriage and that is why such marriage wasn't an issue in the days of our parents, grandparents and so on, when wives were naturally submissive to their husbands.

But a large proportion of today's wives, particularly those influenced by Western Culture relate submission to slavery or village (illiterate) attitude, and they perpetually dissociate from it, thereby causing lots of fight, resentment and bitterness at home; which sometimes even lead to the crashing (divorce) of the marriage. As we all know, the average Nigerian Man will always stand his ground as the head of his home, where there can never be two heads (masters).

So, I suggest you peep into the future of the marriage you want before selecting (approving) the lady you believe would fit in, rather than carelessly settling down with a lady that would disorganize your life and lineage.

Finally, never use all you see or read about politicians to make important life decisions such as marriage. I've worked closely with a couple of them and I know what I'm saying.
Final answer intertribal marriages is not advisable. You said something about marrying someone much younger what age gap is ideally considered younger
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
otorman:

Final answer intertribal marriages is not advisable. You said something about marrying someone much younger what age gap is ideally considered younger

Though it is not that necessary but such really helps a wife [psychologically] to be stable in submission, hence making it also important.

2 to 3yrs difference might not really help her. But a range of 5 to 10yrs difference from your age, will certainly achieve the goal.

In addition, I believe God Almighty is too ultra-wise [Isaiah 46:10-13] to have omitted the forming of Eve when Adam was formed because females were also formed for animals when they were created [Genesis 2:4 - 23]. I believe it was done on purpose for Adam to be ahead of Eve in knowledge, wisdom, understanding, experience and others, especially age. I believe the good age difference between Adam and Eve among others was designed to naturally enable Eve to easily learn/listen (submit) to Adam than talking (talking back).

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by bukatyne(f): 10:07am On Mar 27, 2021
salt1:

I think what changed is expectations: love came into the equation and faithfulness is expected. The men want their mothers in this century and the women want movie characters.

@bold:

Absolutely funny grin
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by isrealakah: 10:33am On Aug 29, 2022
Its well

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Alakija Rejoices With Couple Who Welcomed Twins After 18 Years Of Marriage. PICS / How I Got Back At My Cheating Nigerian Husband - US Based Lady (pix/video) / This Nigerian Lady Is So Proud Of Her White Hubby (see Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.