Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,585 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? (44721 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Ab Isong: Our Parents' Beds Lasted Longer Because They Were Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Mhen. I am learning madly here. In your point, balance is key. Nice one.

Please, kindly share the link to article here when you are done with the write up sir. It will be an impacting read.

Much thanks sir for the insight. Really deep.

Sure Sir, just finished typing

https://www.nairaland.com/6356078/balanced-living-system-making-life

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by sisisioge: 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2021
Marriages are no longer lasting because times have changed and the incumbents are not entirely willing to change as well.

Back in the days, everyone knew their place:

1. Men were absolute financial provider while women were absolutely responsible for house keeping
2. Men expected and received total submission, afterall he who pays the piper dictates the tune.
3. Men worked, women were either housewives or helped with their husbands businesses.
4. Men were transparent with their affairs, instead of cheating, they rather take another wife which was totally acceptable by the wives.
5. Men provided the support system required for molding/grooming children.
6. Because she knew her place, she dared not denied oga seeex. Refer to number 1 above.

Nowadays, the world has changed. Everyone brings finances to the table. Remember, he who pays the piper reserves the right to dictate the tune. She cant be hustling in the field like you and still be expected to contribute domestic efforts like a full time housewife. Even seex will suffer as shes just as tired as you. It is well sha...Communication and fairness will make things better.

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by angelfallz(m): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2021
Righteousness2:
Whether our Grand parents or our parents or ourselves! Any Marriage that is void of the standard set by Institutor of Marriage ( GOD ALMIGHTY), will Collaspe.

What is the Standard?

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.

This is gold

6 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by nautybride: 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2021
sisisioge:
Marriages are no longer lasting because times have changed and the incidents are not entirely willing to change as well.

1. Men were absolute financial provider while women were absolutely responsible for house keeping
2. Men expected and received total submission, afterall he who pays the piper dictates the tune.
3. Men worked, women were either housewives or helped with their husbands businesses.
4. Men were transparent with their affairs, instead of cheating, they rather take another wife which was totally acceptable by the wives.
6. Because she knew her place, she dared not denied oga seeex. Refer to number 1 above.

Nowadays, the world has changed. Everyone brings finances to the table. Remember, he who pays the piper reserves the right to dictate the tune. She cant be hustling in the field like you and still be expected to contribute domestic efforts like a full time housewife. Even seex will suffer as shes just as tired as you. It is well sha...Communication and fairness will make things better.

This exactly is the right response to your question.
Exposure and civilization has made men and women question the olden days marriage norms.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by angelfallz(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2021
There are many reasons why many marriages in the past lasted and were healthy.

Many people on this thread have given some major reasons.

For me the difference between marriages now and then is the level of morality and sense of responsibility.

The marriages of the past had a man of high morality and a woman of high morality.

Both the man and woman understood their different roles and responsibilities in the marriages and went about them with joy and without complaint.
Compare that to what we have now, women see cooking for their husbands as slavery, men see providing for their families as unimportant and would rather spend on Jennifer.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Liposure: 8:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
Because people aren't marrying for the right reasons. Any marriage started on the wrong foot is bound to fail no matter how you try to make it work. That is why it is good to build your relationship from the very scratch

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:44pm On Jan 10, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Sure Sir, just finished typing

https://www.nairaland.com/6356078/balanced-living-system-making-life

Thanks. I will go through it.

Well appreciated bro.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:47pm On Jan 10, 2021
sisisioge:
Marriages are no longer lasting because times have changed and the incidents are not entirely willing to change as well.

Thanks baba.

Nice write up. Great insights.

The world has changed.

The game has changed.

The rules have also changed.

One just needs to come to terms with the new reality.

Hmm. Nice one.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:47pm On Jan 10, 2021
nautybride:

This exactly is the right response to your question.
Exposure and civilization has made men and women question the olden days marriage norms.

Yes o. You have point.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:49pm On Jan 10, 2021
angelfallz:
There are many reasons why many marriages in the past lasted and were healthy.

Many people on this thread have given some major reasons.

For me the difference between marriages now and then is the level of morality and sense of responsibility.

The marriages of the past had a man of high morality and a woman of high morality.

Both the man and woman understood their different roles and responsibilities in the marriages and went about them with joy and without complaint.
Compare that to what we have now, women see cooking for their husbands as slavery, men see providing for their families as unimportant and would rather spend on Jennifer.

Much thanks.

BTW, who be Jennifer.

She dey nairaland?
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2021
Liposure:
Because people marry for the wrong reasons. A marriage started on the wrong foot will surely collapse no matter how hard you try to make it work. That is why it is very important to build your relationship from the scratch

Yes yes!!

If the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do.

Thanks bro for your insight.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by mariahAngel(f): 8:51pm On Jan 10, 2021
Liposure:
Because people marry for the wrong reasons. A marriage started on the wrong foot will surely collapse no matter how hard you try to make it work. That is why it is very important to build your relationship from the scratch

These days, people do not bother to plan marriages, they just go with it.

When you build a house without planning, collapse is imminent.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SchoolPedia: 8:52pm On Jan 10, 2021
mariahAngel:

These days, people do not bother to plan marriages, they just go with it.

When you build a house without planning, collapse is imminent.

Which is very bad.

Thanks
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by angelfallz(m): 8:57pm On Jan 10, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Much thanks.

BTW, who be Jennifer.

She dey nairaland?

Lol, Jennifer is just an example. I used Jennifer because bukatyne used the name in another thread we were conversing in.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by NoToPile: 8:54am On Jan 11, 2021
SchoolPedia:

A healthy marriage will surely last.

Yeah but There are lots of unhealthy marriages that last.

Just saying

4 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by jericco1(m): 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
It is simple
SUBMISSION!
Women have been brainwashed

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Legitz: 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Wife are no longer submissive and husband are tired of financing the home

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Things have changed! Not everyone can swallow bullshit.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by wizygreat2000(m): 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
My is going to last by God grace � mean why here in Deutschland

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by baggioni: 4:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
smiley
The Preaching of Non-existent Gender Equality

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 4:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
Pochettino:
Because your mothers could take severe beatings in silence.

Did ur mother take severe beating in silence?

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by GoldHorse(m): 4:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
We (over) copied the western culture. Simple!

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by growtogeda: 4:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
their own was arranged marriage while ours is .... I no no wetin to talk again
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Cutehector(m): 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
Nobody is marring their best friend of the opposite sex.

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by sonnie10: 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
Too much child bearing and going to farm. Women were always busy, no time for social media

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by themes009(m): 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
Back then na brand new but now how ladies are all fairly used

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by salt1: 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
Many marriages are lasting. Where are you picking your statistics from?
Mine is even healthier than anything my parents experienced

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Royalty5(f): 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
Because nobody want to accommodate nonsense.
Endurance level in this generation is remaining 0.1%

N/B 1 Gram is now $3. For more info....check my signature. It's not late to start gathering grams.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by wizygreat2000(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
My is already 4years God keep us going � mean why here in Deutschland today

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by goatmeat1(f): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
Social media pressures

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by iamdapsyj(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
SchoolPedia:
Let's have an open discussion here please.

Matured minds only.

I believe we will learn a lot here and help build better homes and families which will bring about better societies too.

Let's get the discussion running please.

Happy Sunday all.

Everybody is claiming "woke"....

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by patani(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
Marriages are not lasting because many don't recognise the devil strategies to destroy the home. The long hours at work, the gadgets , the new satanic mentalities on marraige i.e women refusing to submit and men having extramarital affairs. All these are subtle but the devil key strategy on killing marriages. The couple must take conscious effort to make sure it works by all means Evry single day kiss

I do not think men having extra marital affair is a new thng...Our fathers were more promiscuous. That I can say for sure...Women only knew it was norm in those days and they never take action by divorcing thier husbands..Todays women will not blink before calling you out

I think the whole issue boils down to unnecessary expectation and fake life...Those things are now more values than real essence of marriage...Women are more empowered good thing for women folks but bad for society building (Thats just the fact)

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Sold Soap And Dried Fish In Lagos Before Everything Changed. / Share Your Experience After Marrying Without Your Mother's Or Father's Consent / Because I Am A Woman!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.