Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? (44705 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Ab Isong: Our Parents' Beds Lasted Longer Because They Were Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by dtrend(m): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2021
debbydams:
in addition, social media.

Social media has made it readily possible to compare your relationship/marriage with those of others....
Continual Comparison strains the relationship...
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by patani(m): 7:57am On Jan 13, 2021
bukatyne:

@Bold:

Not true.

Some men want to continue enjoying the privilege to misbehave because they are the 'head'/provider.

Any society that is 'succeeding' because of the oppression of a gender would not last long.

well, for the sake of me having a daughter and I want her empowered, prosperous and doing well in life than being subjected to a man in the name of marriage...I will agree with you...but the fact as related to this topic is, marriage do not last in a society where women are empowered...thats the pure fact
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by ImaIma1(f): 8:01am On Jan 13, 2021
Because people are not ready to put in the commitment. People just want to enjoy their lives and not kill themselves for another person. No sacrifice, no selflessness, no unity....just me me me.

People are already entering marriage with the optiin of divorce at the backnof their minds. So any little thing, they run
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by debbydams(f): 8:05am On Jan 13, 2021
Chris2863:

When he or she said gadgets, what comes to your mind?
who? I don't understand
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 8:46am On Jan 13, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Ehen

Na so? So, bullshit dey for marriage?
You don't know? Some marriages are filled with oppression and abuse.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 8:48am On Jan 13, 2021
ImaIma1:
Because people are not ready to put in the commitment. People just want to enjoy their lives and not kill themselves for another person. No sacrifice, no selflessness, no unity....just me me me.

People are already entering marriage with the optiin of divorce at the backnof their minds. So any little thing, they run
Cos when dem born you dem put someone as a thorn in ur flesh wey u gats die for. Abegi, no one is worth such sacrifice apart from the children I carried in my womb.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 8:51am On Jan 13, 2021
patani:

well, for the sake of me having a daughter and I want her empowered, prosperous and doing well in life than being subjected to a man in the name of marriage...I will agree with you...but the fact as related to this topic is, marriage do not last in a society where women are empowered...thats the pure fact
Very Interesting Submission. So tell why do you feel so? Why can't empowered women submit? Is it possible we were created equally with same ego but men simply devised a means of control by making us vulnerable and dependent on them? Uhmmmmmmmm
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by ImaIma1(f): 9:13am On Jan 13, 2021
SweetCunt97:
Cos when dem born you dem put someone as a thorn in ur flesh wey u gats die for. Abegi, no one is worth such sacrifice apart from the children I carried in my womb.

Pure example of what I am talking about
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 9:17am On Jan 13, 2021
ImaIma1:

Pure example of what I am talking about
Abi naw.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 13, 2021
kingbee90:

Bros the married women you slept with, did you toast them or they toasted you?
Toast? What does that mean? undecided Oh! I see!! grin some of them i found out later that they are married, because they didn't tell me they are married, some of them said their husbands were away and they wanted just sex, some I "toasted" myself even though i know they are married. It was just sex, no relationship, some of them work in the same place as me, my manager, my supervisor.and my work colleagues.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by bukatyne(f): 9:32am On Jan 13, 2021
SchoolPedia:

To believe they are equal with their husbands in everything, right?

In what places are women not equal with their husbands?

What is equality to you?
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by jericco1(m): 9:44am On Jan 13, 2021
SchoolPedia:

To believe they are equal with their husbands in everything, right?

Affirmative
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by kingbee90: 10:34am On Jan 13, 2021
gypsey:
Toast? What does that mean? undecided Oh! I see!! grin some of them i found out later that they are married, because they didn't tell me they are married, some of them said their husbands were away and they wanted just sex, some I "toasted" myself even though i know they are married. It was just sex, no relationship, some of them work in the same place as me, my manager, my supervisor.and my work colleagues.

Damn Bro! I wish I had the same guts. Some married women have been giving me vibes but I have been ignoring them including the ones I'm sexually attracted to.
I always think of karma whenever I want to give in to their seduction & that makes me to abort the mission. Although I'm currently having a 2nd thought about this "karma stuff" bcus nothing is certain in this life. I have also realized that it's better to "shag" the ones i will benefit something (connections & financial benefits) in return & not just doing it for the pleasure so that Incase karma comes knocking tomorrow, it will still be worth it.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by patani(m): 10:49am On Jan 13, 2021
SweetCunt97:
Very Interesting Submission. So tell why do you feel so? Why can't empowered women submit? Is it possible we were created equally with same ego but men simply devised a means of control by making us vulnerable and dependent on them? Uhmmmmmmmm

All humans are egostic...Just that hormones in women make them more prone to emotion and emotional acceptance than men that made then forget ego and crave for being valued or loved ...Besides, its an obvious fact...MORE THAN 60% of marriages in US, and EU end up in divorce. Even in South Africa where there are many laws favoring women empowerments and employment preferences divorce rate is extremely high .....Women are just not built for certain things while men are also not built for certain things...I wont go into details as it seems controversial
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 11:51am On Jan 13, 2021
Blitzerz:

What are u trying to say?
That freedom for woman equates more bad marriages or what?

Or that the olden days women who raised better children were working from slavery marriages?

I disagree

No human being likes to be second class. Tell.me if you would like it if your wife died and her family shows up at your house to collect all her belongings forcefully which may include a house and a car. Worse, her family forces you to marry her sister and you are helpless to say say no. And that is just one example of the things women back in the day went through with impunity. The only reason anyone would go through that without complaining is if their hands were tied. Would you stick around if anything remotely close to that happened to you?
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blitzerz: 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

No human being likes to be second class. Tell.me if you would like it if your wife died and her family shows up at your house to collect all her belongings forcefully which may include a house and a car. Worse, her family forces you to marry her sister and you are helpless to say say no. And that is just one example of the things women back in the day went through with impunity. The only reason anyone would go through that without complaining is if their hands were tied. Would you stick around if anything remotely close to that happened to you?

U didn't answer the questions

Does freedom for women translate to more bad marriages?

You are listening many things which are mainly evil things. I can as well least the good thing people also enjoyed those days for you. So I don't get your point.

There are things that men equally suffered and they r things that men still suffer till today in marriages. It's not a gender thing.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 12:30pm On Jan 13, 2021
Blitzerz:

U didn't answer the questions

Does freedom for women translate to more bad marriages?

You are listening many things which are mainly evil things. I can as well least the good thing people also enjoyed those days for you. So I don't get your point.

There are things that men equally suffered and they r things that men still suffer till today in marriages. It's not a gender thing.

The point is, even till today, women in Africa mostly stay with their husbands because of lack of choice and not because of love. And what horrors have men been suffering in the hands of women?
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SweetCunt97(f): 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2021
patani:

All humans are egostic...Just that hormones in women make them more prone to emotion and emotional acceptance than men that made then forget ego and crave for being valued or loved ...Besides, its an obvious fact...MORE THAN 60% of marriages in US, and EU end up in divorce. Even in South Africa where there are many laws favoring women empowerments and employment preferences divorce rate is extremely high .....Women are just not built for certain things while men are also not built for certain things...I wont go into details as it seems controversial
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 13, 2021
kingbee90:

Damn Bro! I wish I had the same guts. Some married women have been giving me vibes but I have been ignoring them including the ones I'm sexually attracted to.
I always think of karma whenever I want to give in to their seduction & that makes me to abort the mission. Although I'm currently having a 2nd thought about this "karma stuff" bcus nothing is certain in this life. I have also realized that it's better to "shag" the ones i will benefit something (connections & financial benefits) in return & not just doing it for the pleasure so that Incase karma comes knocking tomorrow, it will still be worth it.
right! Karma doesn't apply to shagging a married woman, as long as they consented, it takes two to tango, if they are not worried about karma, why should you? cheesy

Aaa!! I see!! You are looking to get rich out of it, come on! grin maybe you should become a full time gigolo then. The only thing I got out of it and that was what i wanted was just sex, I am fine financially on my own, besides if you want to get financial or otherwise benefits out of it then it becomes a relationship with them, emotionally and sentimentally. That is when problem starts, blackmails, control and shits!! And it isn't that i had guts, it was just a bit of fun, fun for me and for them, I wanted to fucck them, they wanted to fucck me, that was it! As i said i couldn't even remember their names or faces most of them, we drank JD, got a bit tipsy and shag!!

I still try me luck thesedays but i don't get lucky as i used to, maybe because I am bit older now and beer bellied. cheesy plus i have kids to care for, no time...

Be careful though, as you believe in Karma, your conscience might get in the way. For me i don't think i had any.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blitzerz: 1:26pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

The point is, even till today, women in Africa mostly stay with their husbands because of lack of choice and not because of love. And what horrors have men been suffering in the hands of women?

What do u mean by lack of choice?

We are talking about marriage working or not.
I can as well show u men that have wives chosen for them without the man's choice and the marriages are working.

Secondly, do u know how many men are victims of paternity fraud?

Successful marriages is not a gender thing. Its both ways.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 1:51pm On Jan 13, 2021
Blitzerz:

What do u mean by lack of choice?

We are talking about marriage working or not.
I can as well show u men that have wives chosen for them without the man's choice and the marriages are working.

Secondly, do u know how many men are victims of paternity fraud?

Successful marriages is not a gender thing. Its both ways.

You and i know it's a man's world mostly in Africa? Men pretty much can do anything they want but not so for women. That in itself should give you pause. The reason why marriages don't last that long anymore is because women are getting the same access to freedom men enjoy and they are fighting back. Most african men do not see marriage as a partnership. Obviously, two people cannot lead a marriage at the same time, but the understanding that the partnership is founded on respect, love, empathy, discipline, etc is not well understood by most african men. And just so you know, no one likes to be in a relationship where there are few choices. I digress. Look at Nigeria. The reason why the country is so phucked economically and otherwise is because it's citizens have very few choices. They have no choice but to live the way they do to the point where a lot of Nigerians still say s.tupid shit like "Nigeria, the giant of africa", or "we are great". Even though the evidence is contrary to that opinion. Compare that to say Germany, Sweden, the U.S, etc. Choices are abound in places like that but not so in places like Nigeria. Women in africa had and still have limited wiggle room so they have no choice but to stay with their husbands.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Jaqenhghar: 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

Let me say this. Nigerian women suffer almost the same thing black american men suffer.
Villified at every turn.
They are told they are no good except they have something to bring. I thank God I dont have to raise my daughter in that hell hole.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blitzerz: 2:15pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

You and i know it's a man's world mostly in Africa? Men pretty much can do anything they want but not so for women. That in itself should give you pause. The reason why marriages don't last that long anymore is because women are getting the same access to freedom men enjoy and they are fighting back. Most african men do not see marriage as a partnership. Obviously, two people cannot lead a marriage at the same time, but the understanding that the partnership is founded on respect, love, empathy, discipline, etc is not well understood by most african men. And just so you know, no one likes to be in a relationship where there are few choices. I digress. Look at Nigeria. The reason why the country is so phucked economically and otherwise is because it's citizens have very few choices. They have no choice but to live the way they do to the point where a lot of Nigerians still say s.tupid shit like "Nigeria, the giant of africa", or "we are great". Even though the evidence is contrary to that opinion. Compare that to say Germany, Sweden, the U.S, etc. Choices are abound in places like that but not so in places like Nigeria. Women in africa had and still have limited wiggle room so they have no choice but to stay with their husbands.

You are simply saying therefore that successful marriage and staying with husband is slavery for women.
False!
I still don't agree.

You may be mistaking irresponsibility and looseness for freedom. They are different things.

By the way, do u want us to list the things women get away with that a man can't get away with? There are so many.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2021
Blitzerz:

You are simply saying therefore that successful marriage and staying with husband is slavery for women.
False!
I still don't agree.

You may be mistaking irresponsibility and looseness for freedom. They are different things.

By the way, do u want us to list the things women get away with that a man can't get away with? There are so many.

I am waiting for the list
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blitzerz: 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

I am waiting for the list
Rape
Sexual molestation
Blackmail
Child abuse
Paternity fraud
Preference for soft work among male colleague
Etc......

And on and on
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 2:27pm On Jan 13, 2021
Blitzerz:

Rape
Sexual molestation
Blackmail
Child abuse
Paternity fraud
Preference for soft work among male colleague
Etc......

And on and on

Oh I see. We are are now playing a game called "let's just say anything to justify our argument". I'm not playing

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by banmee(m): 2:28pm On Jan 13, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Let me say this. Nigerian women suffer almost the same thing black american men suffer.
Villified at every turn.
They are told they are no good except they have something to bring. I thank God I dont have to raise my daughter in that hell hole.

You know how it is. If it doesn't affect them it's not a problem.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blitzerz: 3:03pm On Jan 13, 2021
banmee:

Oh I see. We are are now playing a game called "let's just say anything to justify our argument". I'm not playing

You started the game
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by JGirl20(f): 3:36pm On Jan 13, 2021
angelfallz:
There are many reasons why many marriages in the past lasted and were healthy.

Many people on this thread have given some major reasons.

For me the difference between marriages now and then is the level of morality and sense of responsibility.

The marriages of the past had a man of high morality and a woman of high morality.

Both the man and woman understood their different roles and responsibilities in the marriages and went about them with joy and without complaint.
Compare that to what we have now, women see cooking for their husbands as slavery, men see providing for their families as unimportant and would rather spend on Jennifer.

grin grin
Jennifer has suffered shaa

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Giantfarmer(m): 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2021
generationz:

But our forefathers worshipped satan/ amadioha /Obatala/ Osun/ Yemoja/ and their marriages lasted long. Why did satan not scatter marriages then?
all these God's you mentioned are under the devil control so why do you think the devil should fight them... being a Christian contravene the devils Will and you because enemy ,and a target
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by generationz(f): 4:26pm On Jan 13, 2021
Giantfarmer:
all these God's you mentioned are under the devil control so why do you think the devil should fight them... being a Christian contravene the devils Will and you because enemy ,and a target

Story. Even countries with large atheist population have high rate of divorce.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Giantfarmer(m): 5:50pm On Jan 13, 2021
generationz:

Story. Even countries with large atheist population have high rate of divorce.
alright.. that is the limit to which I know

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

This Nigerian Lady Is So Proud Of Her White Hubby (see Pics) / Lady Burnt To Death Beyond Recognition In Her House After Church (Graphic Pics) / I Sold Soap And Dried Fish In Lagos Before Everything Changed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.