Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,521 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? (44716 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Ab Isong: Our Parents' Beds Lasted Longer Because They Were Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Giantfarmer(m): 7:19pm On Jan 12, 2021
Uyi168:
The moment you bring the concepts of devil or any of those religious constructs into a discussion, you simply kill every form of logic neeeded to dissect the issues raised in the discussion..
my brother, forget interlectualism , every aspect of Man life is in two dimensions,
physical dimension and spiritual dimension,,,,
the two dimension must be well attended to in other to succeed in any area of life...
so basically while you do everything possible in the physical,do remember to check the spiritual, because the spiritual control the physical, believe it or not.
marriage is not an exception ,most people dwell and perfect things of the physical but it can't guarantee a successful marriage...

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by t00dugged(f): 7:19pm On Jan 12, 2021
The reason why marriages lasted long was because women of then had high tolerance level. People say for a marriage to work there has to be compromise but what they fail to tell you is that the compromise has to come from the woman.

The african culture believes the woman holds the key to keep a home and a marriage( even though there are two people in a marriage), religion hasn't spared us from those teachings. So from childhood the girl child was brainwashed with such teachings , both onthe religious and traditional fonts .

But then over the years, the girl child began to see all the sacrifice all the tolerance our mothers had to put up with ,had to wait till old age to be appreciated by children not spouse ,then the world turned a global village ,the door for divorce was open and it was no longer an abomination or family dishonor to leave ones husband's house. People turned less traditional and less religious and realized heaven didn't fall . So there you have it.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by MUYEEKFIRST(m): 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
Most cause by requesting mother inlaw
SchoolPedia:
Let's have an open discussion here please.

Matured minds only.

I believe we will learn a lot here and help build better homes and families which will bring about better societies too.

Let's get the discussion running please.

Happy Sunday all.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Hassanmaye(m): 7:36pm On Jan 12, 2021
rawfact:

I guess you are not married. Please don't ever fall for that claim.

Rather, marry a God-fearing lady that you are well older than, financially better than (i.e. she should be working - busy), of the same tribe with you, same faith (not just same religion) with you, and most-importantly, is HAPPY SUBMITTING to you. Make such a lady happy and you would experience bliss non-stop in your marriage.
I will take this advice serious
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Hassanmaye(m): 7:37pm On Jan 12, 2021
iramure:
Simply because after RELIGION, Marriage is the 2nd greatest scam to mankind. Failure of submission on the part of woman is a major problem. Two masters can not direct a ship. Even my own, I am very tired and no more intrested
You have summarizes it all

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Blackdisciple(m): 7:41pm On Jan 12, 2021
It's because we get to realized that you actually hold up your phone and take a picture with it....
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Teespice(f): 7:46pm On Jan 12, 2021
Overflogged Topic
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Midas01: 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
May God almighty bless you.
Righteousness2:
Whether our Fore Fathers or Great Grand parents or Grand Parents or our parents or ourselves! Any Marriage that is void of the standard set by Institutor of Marriage ( GOD ALMIGHTY), will Collaspe.

What is the Standard?

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.

Humans can change
Times and Seasons can Change
The World can change
The Word of GOD cannot Change. What it is written is written.
It's our choice to follow or not! Our choices have their corresponding results

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2021
Pochettino:

Pretty sure your mom did

My mum didn't. Did ur mother take severe beating in silence?
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by generationz(f): 8:01pm On Jan 12, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
Marriages are not lasting because many don't recognise the devil strategies to destroy the home. The long hours at work, the gadgets , the new satanic mentalities on marraige i.e women refusing to submit and men having extramarital affairs. All these are subtle but the devil key strategy on killing marriages. The couple must take conscious effort to make sure it works by all means Evry single day kiss

But our forefathers worshipped satan/ amadioha /Obatala/ Osun/ Yemoja/ and their marriages lasted long. Why did satan not scatter marriages then?

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by maak400: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2021
SchoolPedia:
It's an understatement to say one is learning here from experienced folks.

Enlightening indeed.

Lalasticlala

RoyalRoy

Can you help to do the needful please.

Thanks
You don’t need to be quoting everybody and replying their comments, let people state their opinion in peace nau. The fact that you created the topic doesn’t mean you should be everywhere on the thread.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by juniorstar(m): 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2021
social media fake life that's why
lack of contentment
starting out on a wrong foundation ( the guy who is ready not the one who has your interest at heart)
parental influence
influence of close friends
reavealing secrets shared to you by your spouse based on trust.
no more for better for worse, ppl these days are for better for best!!!
failing to realise that for it to work both parties must be committed to the success of the union.
lack of thick skin to tide through little adversity in the journey.
lack of communication. knowing what to say say and what to refrain your lips from saying even with your partner.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Uyi168: 8:13pm On Jan 12, 2021
Giantfarmer:
my brother, forget interlectualism , every aspect of Man life is in two dimensions,
physical dimension and spiritual dimension,,,,
the two dimension must be well attended to in other to succeed in any area of life...
so basically while you do everything possible in the physical,do remember to check the spiritual, because the spiritual control the physical, believe it or not.
marriage is not an exception ,most people dwell and perfect things of the physical but it can't guarantee a successful marriage...
. K
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Empiree: 8:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
Righteousness2:
Whether our Fore Fathers or Great Grand parents or Grand Parents or our parents or ourselves! Any Marriage that is void of the standard set by Institutor of Marriage ( GOD ALMIGHTY), will Collaspe.

What is the Standard?

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.

Humans can change
Times and Seasons can Change
The World can change
The Word of GOD cannot Change. What it is written is written.
It's our choice to follow or not! Our choices have their corresponding results
and for as long as you have women pastors, prophetess etc speaking in churches marriages will continue to collapse cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by pappyjjboi: 8:28pm On Jan 12, 2021
Devil's ultimate plan is to disrupt marriages..that devil frown at successful union which result to rampant rate of divorce /marriage issue today....

Please what is the source of this assertion as I hear it a lot. Or the purported devil is different from the one dt existed during d days of our fathers nd mothers
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by babaneenoni(m): 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
most of the relationship is build on lies na guy wey no get 50k go dey show bae say him get 1m after marriage tire go boost
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by thatsleepboy1: 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yusufisraelj:
For me I think it has to do with understanding the place of balance in life, I think I will be making the write-up this evening bkos of this topic, I think you have inspired me on that.

A mans life is categorized in seven areas, and sustaining a healthy balance in these seven area's is key

kindly mention me when you do. thanks.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
Girls too like Materialistic things. If they see a guy that makes better money or is more okay than you they will leave you for that man.

Marriage to me nah scam. If not for child, Men don't really need women.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by ModestGal(f): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
This thread makes me give up on naira landers, I have only read the first page though, and its so full of dumb answers

Well, marriages lasted then because what they practised wasn't marriage but Union, where the sole aim is for it to last whether they are happy, sad, almost dead etc.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by thatsleepboy1: 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
philomena you're back. welcome. HNY and where have you been? grin grin grin
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Pochettino(f): 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2021
lexy2014:

My mum didn't. Did ur mother take severe beating in silence?

This question displays your level of intellect to be at a very low level.

If anyone takes a beating in silence, how can a third-party EVER know? Your brain is too watery, add garri to it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by ModestGal(f): 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
t00dugged:
The reason why marriages lasted long was because women of then had high tolerance level. People say for a marriage to work there has to be compromise but what they fail to tell you is that the compromise has to come from the woman.

The african culture believes the woman holds the key to keep a home and a marriage( even though there are two people in a marriage), religion hasn't spared us from those teachings. So from childhood the girl child was brainwashed with such teachings , both onthe religious and traditional fonts .

But then over the years, the girl child began to see all the sacrifice all the tolerance our mothers had to put up with ,had to wait till old age to be appreciated by children not spouse ,then the world turned a global village ,the door for divorce was open and it was no longer an abomination or family dishonor to leave ones husband's house. People turned less traditional and less religious and realized heaven didn't fall . So there you have it.
Very sensible comment.
Let me add to what you have said
In the past, the women were only concerned about being in Union, being attached, but now, women understand the meaning of marriage which should be pleasure and happiness for both parties.
Women then had high tolerance for slavery, women now, don't want to be enslaved because we now have many good men that treat their wives like a partner not a slave, women now know they deserve such type of men or be single in peace.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by mentored: 8:47pm On Jan 12, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Matured minds only.

I believe we will learn a lot here and help build better homes and families which will bring about better societies too.

Happy Sunday all.

We allowed the state to start telling us how to run a home

We allowed the state to tell us when to spank sense into a child

We allowed the state to tell us that a male yansh is now sweeter than psseeeey

Women are now leading their husbands and making decisions in homes

Read this

ANYTHING THAT GOES AGAINST GOD’S ORIGINAL CREATION WILL END IN FAILURE.

ANY MARRIAGE THAT IS NOT IN ACCORDANCE TO GOD’S ORIGINAL PLAN IS A TIME BOMB

IF THE HUSBAND WILL NOT LOVE THE WIFE AND THE WIFE WILL NOT SUBMIT

FORGET IT
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by MrNipplesLover(m): 8:52pm On Jan 12, 2021
I have a lifestyle of my own. I have experiences about life. I have witnessed a lot, seen a lot, and encountered a lot..

Social media did not, and does not impact on my thinking, the thingsI have seen with my korokoro eyes do.

I have decided to wave off marriage cos I have seen and witnessed too many.

Damn it!

Opting for having just one baby mama, that's all. I will take care of u as my wife, my kids will definitely be taken care of, but no damn ring for you. Others are guaranteed.

Things are not working the way they out to.

Reality shiit.

Marriage is crap nowadays, this is reality.

I can't let one toto carrier come short my life for me..

I fvck as I want, if u like fvck outside too, na ur life.
My kids, my pride.

No shiit..
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by EvangelistChuks(m): 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
GOD IS NO LONGER FACTORED IN THEIR EVALUATIONS.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by intruder15(m): 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Matured minds only.

Happy Sunday all.

Na see finish de cause am. U have dated for 5years then got married. Unlike in those days where both parties dont know each other but learn to love each other as they bond.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by segvinc: 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2021
Marriages nowadays doesn't last because everything that seems to be forbidding are now norms. having sex before marriage is norm now, infact if you meet most ladies today and you take her out to buy her drinks, give her little cash to redo her hair you'll have your way inside her pant.
No respect for each other and a lot don't listen to advices of the elderly ones.
So many parent are at fault in this simply the upbringing of children.
No fear of God, just to mention few among others

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by SkyRicks: 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2021
SchoolPedia:

Matured minds only.

Happy Sunday all.

This is funny what we have in Nigeria are feminist and those who are too arrogant to submit and men see submition as love while women care as love... When you marry a woman who is not submissive the tendency to womanizer is very high. This days women hardly submit in a relationship talk of marriage
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 9:12pm On Jan 12, 2021
Pochettino:

If anyone takes a beating in silence, how can a third-party EVER know? Your brain is too watery, add garri to it.

Still doesn't answer my question:

"Did ur mother take severe beating in silence?"
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by lexy2014: 9:14pm On Jan 12, 2021
Pochettino:

Going by ur theory, how then did u arrive at d following conclusion?:

"Because your mothers could take severe beatings in silence."

"Pretty sure your mom did"
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by bunminikan(m): 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2021
'You can't eat your cake and still have'. Those old days marriage were 'arranged' or 'matced' by mature parents or guidance who knows what marriage entails. But today, young people chose for themselves based on their inexperienced and immature minds. The marriage will not work. If we can go back to 'match making' system the rate of divorce will reduce in our society. 'Arrangee' marriage is still practiced largely in Indian thus they have a very low divorce cases. Western world is so civilised that your freedom of choice is priority but they have an alarming rate of divorce.
Re: Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
What I know is that my marriage will last cause the foundation will be on God and not a faulty foundation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Sold Soap And Dried Fish In Lagos Before Everything Changed. / Share Your Experience After Marrying Without Your Mother's Or Father's Consent / Because I Am A Woman!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.