Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965526 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cross234(m): 7:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
naijafresh:

Dear Cross234,

These questions are all answered in the preceding posts. But I will suggest that if you are really interested in poultry farming, do your homework and take the time to go through this thread.

That way you will get a good idea of the ups and downs of the business and will pick up useful tips that will save you a lot of money and headache in the long run.

The average length of time to maturity or sale depends on the breed and the hatcheries will give you an idea of the different breeds and their characteristics, visit a local hatchery near to your intended location.
They will also give you information on the different types of feed available
The market for eggs is good but i think the market for broilers is seasonal and can be tough, read through the thread and see for yourself and also research your local market

Best wishes and Good luck

thank u so much for the advice
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Hello good day all. Hope you are enjoying d weather at ur farms. @jamp hope u‘r beating 50% now.
@rzq4 2dayz hope ur birds are doing fine
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nbg4real: Hello good day all. Hope you are enjoying d weather at ur farms. @jamp hope u‘r beating 50% now.
@rzq4 2dayz hope ur birds are doing fine

Am stil seeing one egg everyday. They are 19wks and 2 days.they are on growers n if by 20wks they don't improve I will swtich over to layers. Am patiently waiting for all to mature fully.

Cheers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
jamp:

Am stil seeing one egg everyday. They are 19wks and 2 days.they are on growers n if by 20wks they don't improve I will swtich over to layers. Am patiently waiting for all to mature fully.

Cheers
dt was wt i experinced 1egg for 10dayz but many more will come just add a little patince. I‘m now beating 30% at 25wks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
[quote author=naijafresh]

Dear Cross234,

These questions are all answered in the preceding posts. But I will suggest that if you are really interested in poultry farming, do your homework and take the time to go through this thread.

That way you will get a good idea of the ups and downs of the business and will pick up useful tips that will save you a lot of money and headache in the long run.

The average length of time to maturity or sale depends on the breed and the hatcheries will give you an idea of the different breeds and their characteristics, visit a local hatchery near to your intended location.
They will also give you information on the different types of feed available
The market for eggs is good but i think the market for broilers is seasonal and can be tough, read through the thread and see for yourself and also research your local market

Best wishes and Good luck

@naijafresh

I do not believe that the market for broilers is just seasonal or tough. If you are will to do the work, within 3 months you will not be able to meet the demand that you will get.
I visited an eatry at Festac, and spoke with one of the managers who told me that their eateries in Lagos use up 1000 birds per day, and that they even started their own poultry farm and still couldn't certify their need so they still buy from people like you and me.

Also there is a woman close to where my farm is located that sells frozen chicken in her shop. Visiting with her, she said that she sells 300 birds per day from her shop, and for about 1.5 to 2kg she sells for about N2,000.

I know most of us here are mom and pop poultry farmer, that means that most of us probably don't produce up to 1000 birds per month. That said, imagine if you comb you area and find a customer that will buy or have the need for 300 birds per day, if you exclude Sundays that will total 7,800 birds per month, now go figure what your profit will be with just that one outlet.

My marketing strategy is to visit small shops like this, visit bukas, mama fisi, restaurant and hotels, even if in the stretch of my area, I find up to twenty bukas, or mama fisi and small corner restaurants that will have the need for say 5 birds a day that will translate to 5x 20=100 birds per day. So with my only 500 broiler capacity, I can't even meet that demand.

So guys, don't stop half way, go all the way.you will thank your God you did, it will give you the financial freedom that you have been hopping for. And you know the cool thing about this; is that you and I can sell our birds to the same customer and we will still struggle to meet their demand, because the demand is massive.

Good luck and complements of the season to all.

4 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naijafresh: 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
@fnk

The problem with broilers is that purchasers will always try their luck with you and want to buy your broilers for next to nothing.
You have to be careful and do your sums well so you know what your cost price to maturity or point of sale is otherwise you will be running a charity business

So I reiterate my point, do your research and to add to that, do your maths so you know what your break even point is. There is obviously a market for broilers otherwise there would never be any chicken for sale in the market or on the table.

You must agree that it is difficult to assess the market in your area without any legwork and due diligence because there are several factors involved in each individuals business model and local environment.

There are several factors involved and these have to be considered.

For example if I can raise broilers cheaply but it costs me and arm and a leg to get them to the market it defeats the objective.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by edwill: 1:13am On Dec 22, 2013
hi every one, I need your help here. I have layers tha have been laying for about three years now. I gave all vacination but surprisingly they started dying they have this cracking or snorring sound (which make me to suspect chronic respiratory disease) with whitish/greenish dropping. which I think is a symptom of another disease. I have given antibiotics for a day but havent seen a noticeable improvement. pls what do I do?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naijafresh: 1:32am On Dec 22, 2013
@Edwill

Do get a vet ASAP. Instant advice and remedy if possible rather than speculating and sticking proverbial head in sand.

It sounds like your layers are getting old if they are about 3 years old as you say and you should be thinking of replacing them soon if not now especially as they are possibly getting ill and you also want maximum egg production rather than gritting your teeth every morning and wondering if they will lay eggs
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:10am On Dec 22, 2013
edwill: hi every one, I need your help here. I have layers tha have been laying for about three years now. I gave all vacination but surprisingly they started dying they have this cracking or snorring sound (which make me to suspect chronic respiratory disease) with whitish/greenish dropping. which I think is a symptom of another disease. I have given antibiotics for a day but havent seen a noticeable improvement. pls what do I do?

3yrs old? Pls sell them n restock. If u still want to keep them then treat them as they ve respiratory disease. Most birds have the problem esp dis season.

Cheers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 1:41pm On Dec 22, 2013
@nbg Am still @ 70percent. My flock had a severe crd ds past wk and i lost 2birds in d process. But today dey are bck in form wt bigger eggs. How are ur birds doing bro?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 2:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
Gud advice jamp. Layers av lifespan of 4-5yrs. If u dnt cull dem off nw u are @ risky of losing many of dem soon. D white and green poop cld be pullorum/newcastle
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2013
Rzq4: @nbg Am still @ 70percent. My flock had a severe crd ds past wk and i lost 2birds in d process. But today dey are bck in form wt bigger eggs. How are ur birds doing bro?
sorry for d lost and thank God for their recovery i‘m still at 30%. @steel5800 have u stock again?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by edwill: 3:52am On Dec 23, 2013
thanks for your response. pls is there a treatment for polorum/newcastle? can vaccination be given while they are sick? thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 11:16am On Dec 23, 2013
edwill: thanks for your response. pls is there a treatment for polorum/newcastle? can vaccination be given while they are sick? thanks
no you vaccinate only healthy birds. Just give dm antibiotic and vitamins.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 23, 2013
Nbg4real: no you vaccinate only healthy birds. Just give dm antibiotic and vitamins.
lol dude, antibiotics wont do anything. poultry(broilers n layers) have vaccination schedules right from wen dey are a day old. so u hv to follow dat vaccination program from day one. i am a Graduate Animal Scientist. so if u want to stock new day olds, i cld drop it here. no qualms
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Juliana7: 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2013
@micoco, pls the house will need ur expertise. So pls i want u to "drop it" for ppl dat need it like myself. Anticipating ur response.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2013
micoco:
lol dude, antibiotics wont do anything. poultry(broilers n layers) have vaccination schedules right from wen dey are a day old. so u hv to follow dat vaccination program from day one. i am a Graduate Animal Scientist. so if u want to stock new day olds, i cld drop it here. no qualms
though you are animal scientist you did‘nt understand “some one was asking whether he can vaccinate SICK birds i said no, VACCINATE ONLY HEALTHY BIRDS.“ we are all here to learn, if sick birds can be vaccinated pls shed more light

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naijafresh: 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2013
You can not vaccinate an animal against a disease it has already acquired you can only treat the disease or cull it if there is no known cure.
As Nbg4real mentioned earlier you only vaccinate healthy birds, fact!

Damage control should be swift and decisive when dealing with poultry otherwise you will lose your whole flock,
please consult a vet ASAP or get rid of the clock and start afresh

Nbg4real: no you vaccinate only healthy birds. Just give dm antibiotic and vitamins.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 23, 2013
Nbg4real: though you are animal scientist you did‘nt understand “some one was asking whether he can vaccinate SICK birds i said no, VACCINATE ONLY HEALTHY BIRDS.“ we are all here to learn, if sick birds can be vaccinated pls shed more light
Aii bro. Pardon me. Like d guy above me said, u cannot. U only cull and treat (thats if u want to because in some cases its just better u kill n properly dispose of d birds since treating will make u waste more resources and d birds may never recover fully, so it depends). I guess we were on d same page afterall. Pardon me once more bro. Cheers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2013
micoco:
Aii bro. Pardon me. Like d guy above me said, u cannot. U only cull and treat (thats if u want to because in some cases its just better u kill n properly dispose of d birds since treating will make u waste more resources and d birds may never recover fully, so it depends). I guess we were on d same page afterall. Pardon me once more bro. Cheers
it is well bros.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 11:51pm On Dec 23, 2013
edwill: hi every one, I need your help here. I have layers tha have been laying for about three years now. I gave all vacination but surprisingly they started dying they have this cracking or snorring sound (which make me to suspect chronic respiratory disease) with whitish/greenish dropping. which I think is a symptom of another disease. I have given antibiotics for a day but havent seen a noticeable improvement. pls what do I do?

Are you sure of 3 years ? Are these not too old already, what percentage output are you getting now ( i mean before the current illness)?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 9:24am On Dec 24, 2013
hi house,
I've been following this thread from the very first page till now cos I'm hopefully going to open my own poultry farm soon. I noticed no one has said anything about spacing intervals for broilers per batch . I meant to start with 1000 birds but the vet I visited to contract for my farm advised I start smaller with about 500 birds, then gradually increase, but I have thought about it over again and Im assuming it will be better to start up with say 200 or 300 birds and add another batch after 3 weeks and another after another 3 weeks till I get a full cycle. I feel that way it will be better and easier to meet with the constant needs of a particular customer and cash shortage wont be a recurrent issue as opposed to stocking all 1000 birds or more at once and waiting for months to sell and restock and start the wait all over again. The experienced ones should pls shed more light.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by komakan(m): 9:31am On Dec 24, 2013
valarinz: hi house,
I've been following this thread from the very first page till now cos I'm hopefully going to open my own poultry farm soon. I noticed no one has said anything about spacing intervals for broilers per batch . I meant to start with 1000 birds but the vet I visited to contract for my farm advised I start smaller with about 500 birds, then gradually increase, but I have thought about it over again and Im assuming it will be better to start up with say 200 or 300 birds and add another batch after 3 weeks and another after another 3 weeks till I get a full cycle. I feel that way it will be better and easier to meet with the constant needs of a particular customer and cash shortage wont be a recurrent issue as opposed to stocking all 1000 birds or more at once and waiting for months to sell and restock and start the wait all over again. The experienced ones should pls shed more light.

Thanks
Good suggestion!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 9:35am On Dec 24, 2013
komakan: Good suggestion!

thanks bro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 1:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
naijafresh: @fnk

The problem with broilers is that purchasers will always try their luck with you and want to buy your broilers for next to nothing.
You have to be careful and do your sums well so you know what your cost price to maturity or point of sale is otherwise you will be running a charity business

So I reiterate my point, do your research and to add to that, do your maths so you know what your break even point is. There is obviously a market for broilers otherwise there would never be any chicken for sale in the market or on the table.

You must agree that it is difficult to assess the market in your area without any legwork and due diligence because there are several factors involved in each individuals business model and local environment.

There are several factors involved and these have to be considered.

For example if I can raise broilers cheaply but it costs me and arm and a leg to get them to the market it defeats the objective.

The purchasers you are taking about are the processors, those ones buy and install the chicken processing equipment and then buy broilers cheaply from farmers almost always at a loss to the farmer, these ones approach the fast foods and hotels who buy only processed chickens and not live ones. That is why most farmers only do broilers on a seasonal basis ( christmas, easter, sallah etc) when they can sell life chickens.

But it will be great if you as a farmer process the chicken yourself and sell to the fast foods and hotels, that is only when you will enjoy real profit instead of giving all the profit of an 8 or 7 weeks suffering to a chicken processor who will kill them and process them in one day, deliver it to them and make all the profit. To me the broiler business is where the main juice of poultry is if the market angle is gotten right.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 4:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
Can any1 in the house guess wat ds disease symptom is?

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
Tnks bro @nbg. Hope ur birds are in gud health
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:04pm On Dec 24, 2013
Rzq4: Can any1 in the house guess wat ds disease symptom is?
is it swollen face? If yes then, it is respiratory diseas (either mycoplasmosis or new castle)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 8:31pm On Dec 24, 2013
valarinz: hi house,

Thanks
@Valarinz from experience I think the only way your idea is going to work is you giving the a very good space. if not, follow your Vet's advise and start small. The time will also help you develop sales outlet. There is nothing worse as far as I am concern than feeding birds pass their due week for sale. I think after 8 weeks of broiler in your pen, you will be losing money every day as long as they are still in your care feeding them.

An experience that we had in our poultry trying to do what you are intending to do, was a lose of birds up to 90% mortality. and what we found out is that there are diseases attacking the birds at different stages of their life cycle. So you might be treating your day olds with vaccinations meant for day olds, but you have close in the farm 3 weeks old birds with a different disease present, while this disease will not kill your 3 weeks old, the vaccine you give to the day old cannot protect your day olds from that other diseases. So, start small and go from there. or you will need a vdry good spacing.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 8:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
fnk:
@Valarinz from experience I think the only way your idea is going to work is you giving the a very good space. if not, follow your Vet's advise and start small. The time will also help you develop sales outlet. There is nothing worse as far as I am concern than feeding birds pass their due week for sale. I think after 8 weeks of broiler in your pen, you will be losing money every day as long as they are still in your care feeding them.

An experience that we had in our poultry trying to do what you are intending to do, was a lose of birds up to 90% mortality. and what we found out is that there are diseases attacking the birds at different stages of their life cycle. So you might be treating your day olds with vaccinations meant for day olds, but you have close in the farm 3 weeks old birds with a different disease present, while this disease will not kill your 3 weeks old, the vaccine you give to the day old cannot protect your day olds from that other diseases. So, start small and go from there. or you will need a vdry good spacing.

noted bro, thanks for the input.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by edwill: 11:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
tnks a million for all your response which I find very educative. I met my vet. and showed him the vacination programme which I had used successfully with other batches. he was satisfied with the programme and said its probably vaccination failure. how does one identify a vaccine that has not gone bad? or that is bound to fail? its realy painful to loose bird after following d programme religeously. once again tnks for ur response am finding this tread very interesting.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:38am On Dec 25, 2013
Happy Christmas to my fellow farmers.

Remember Jesus Christ is the reason for this season not our chicken(lol)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.