Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,165 members, 7,953,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:01 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (982135 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 6:40am On Jan 07, 2014
safex101:

4 plots (200 by 200) in benin city
Wish you all the best bro, the cost of fencing that place alone no be small thing o! What material are u using for the roofing?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 07, 2014
AkayTopsy:
Wish you all the best bro, the cost of fencing that place alone no be small thing o! What material are u using for the roofing?

No b small tin Oooo! the quantity of blocks used alone for the fencing is over 10,000 blocks. I am using Abestors Roofing, Used and New ones.

My major problem is getting someone with knowledge or experience to work with once the construction is completed, becus I be novice ohh, for this mata.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 9:17am On Jan 07, 2014
@Safex101......I am in Benin and my farm is also in benin too.Please how dd you get the asbestos roofing sheets(d old ones). Is it cheaper than the normal roofing sheets? We can be exchanging notes as we are in the same location.Where in Benin is your farm located? Mine is in Olukun axis .You can reach me on 08063970498.

Welldone.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
omotititi: @Safex101......I am in Benin and my farm is also in benin too.Please how dd you get the asbestos roofing sheets(d old ones). Is it cheaper than the normal roofing sheets? We can be exchanging notes as we are in the same location.Where in Benin is your farm located? Mine is in Olukun axis .You can reach me on 08063970498.
Welldone.
. Wud advice u always go for new once, d only regret I av up till now is the decision allowing the Engineer to use old asbestos, they so weak and so many holes, planning to see if I can pull them off. My site is @ Uhie community, just after the Sapele rd bypass. You have idea on battery cages? I'm also luking for a farm manager..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 1:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
@Safes101....I can link you up with the guy who constructed the cages am using now.They are locally fabricated cages with automatic nipples.So when u are ready ...call me and lets talk.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 07, 2014
omotititi: @Safes101....I can link you up with the guy who constructed the cages am using now.They are locally fabricated cages with automatic nipples.So when u are ready ...call me and lets talk.
Thanks

Thanks, will give you a call, what is the capacity of the cage? and the cost?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 4:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
@Safex101 .....d cages can take 120 birds and I dnt know the exact cost as at today.But i got mine at a discounted price of 64k cos he is my friend.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 6:13pm On Jan 07, 2014
safex101:

No b small tin Oooo! the quantity of blocks used alone for the fencing is over 10,000 blocks. I am using Abestors Roofing, Used and New ones.

My major problem is getting someone with knowledge or experience to work with once the construction is completed, becus I be novice ohh, for this mata.
i have over 500 pullets now. One advice i have for u is to make sure you employ an expirenced vet. Make a mistake here and urr biz will be a gamble. Dont try to save money when it comes to vaccination. Give the birds multivitamins before and after every vaccination to prevent possible deaths. Make sure the litter is not wet or the birds will easily contact diseases. I wish u good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Juliana7: 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
Hi folks, i wish everyone that has contributored and also greenhorn(like myself) who have learnt from this thread a awesome new year. @fnk i love your dogged spirit vis a vis ur broiler biz, with your defeathering/processing section in place you will surely succeed. Pls the doc you send me, i wanted to work on it today but found out dat my flash had been damaged pls sir i would be grateful if u send me another @ eobeli@gmail.com. I want to earnestly start using it
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 9:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
laposta: I need some help urgently please...

Who has a contact of a veterinary doctor that can help me with NDV vaccine for my pullets. The farm is around Ikotun Egbe.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.
I have a contact in Ikotun he is a vet

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 08, 2014
Update on the the farm site, administrative block, security post and workers lodge......

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eugeneric: 12:54pm On Jan 08, 2014
pls house, i desire advise. my 600 point of lay are arriving next week and my farm assistant is insisting that they will consume 2 bags a day as frm 2 weeks old. is that possible. pls i want opinions frm older hands so i can prepare myself or just forget the entire investment course the amount calculated per month on that estimate is discouragin
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Farmafric(m): 2:16pm On Jan 08, 2014
send email to : contact@farmergiantltd.com for FREE info on poultry. www.farmergiantltd.com 08099515923

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:29pm On Jan 08, 2014
eugeneric: pls house, i desire advise. my 600 point of lay are arriving next week and my farm assistant is insisting that they will consume 2 bags a day as frm 2 weeks old. is that possible. pls i want opinions frm older hands so i can prepare myself or just forget the entire investment course the amount calculated per month on that estimate is discouragin

He is right bro, 600 POL wil take up to 2 bags or more than that. By POL I mean 16wks/18wks old
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2014
Idango:

The purchasers you are taking about are the processors, those ones buy and install the chicken processing equipment and then buy broilers cheaply from farmers almost always at a loss to the farmer, these ones approach the fast foods and hotels who buy only processed chickens and not live ones. That is why most farmers only do broilers on a seasonal basis ( christmas, easter, sallah etc) when they can sell life chickens.

But it will be great if you as a farmer process the chicken yourself and sell to the fast foods and hotels, that is only when you will enjoy real profit instead of giving all the profit of an 8 or 7 weeks suffering to a chicken processor who will kill them and process them in one day, deliver it to them and make all the profit. To me the broiler business is where the main juice of poultry is if the market angle is gotten right.

So at what price do the local restaurants and eateries pay per kilogram. And do they buy whole dressed chicken or is it some parts alone, probably just thighs and wings, in which case to whom do u sell other parts. Im interested and working on this. Processors' pricing is ridiculous.

Cc Fnk and other off-season broiler enthusiasts.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eugeneric: 4:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
jamp:

He is right bro, 600 POL wil take up to 2 bags or more than that. By POL I mean 16wks/18wks old
jamp:
@amp, so sorry it was a mistake, i meant two weeks from day old chick. dats y am kinda worried that wen it gets to POL wont the feeding be times 3.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2014
eugeneric: @amp, so sorry it was a mistake, i meant two weeks from day old chick. dats y am kinda worried that wen it gets to POL wont the feeding be times 3.

in that case you 600 chicks cannot finish 2 bags in one day.pls confirm from him very well
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2014
I tnk 600 day-old chicks will consume 400kg of feed in the first month(4wks)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:53pm On Jan 08, 2014
safex101,is your orientation right?from the picture i can see your building isnt east and west.where those blocks were placed seem to be west.may be i am wrong.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 11:26am On Jan 09, 2014
@safex. Please what is the size of your newly constructed poultry and the capacity in number of birds it can take and
what has it cost you so far... Am intending to start work on mine by end of January
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2014
Please house, I intend to build a poultry house , layers in battery cages, that will take at least 4000 birds, what is the size that the poultry house should be at that capacity.. thanks all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 5:07pm On Jan 09, 2014
hayor2014: Please house, I intend to build a poultry house , layers in battery cages, that will take at least 4000 birds, what is the size that the poultry house should be at that capacity.. thanks all

Hi Ayo, where do you intend to build your poultry? I could help you with some numbers (cost, dimensions and stuff)

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 7:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
laposta:

Hi Ayo, where do you intend to build your poultry? I could help you with some numbers (cost, dimensions and stuff)

Just got a parcel of land at PAPALANTO,about 10minutes drive from LAFARGE CEMENT FACTORY,i intend to build a 4000-5000 capacity poultry house,battery cage ,layer birds.but whatever i will eventually settle on will it will depend on cost....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by moyin2009: 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
@FNK, Please, how much will the plucking machine cost. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 09, 2014
obnelly: safex101,is your orientation right?from the picture i can see your building isnt east and west.where those blocks were placed seem to be west.may be i am wrong.

I think it is east and west.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eazeefix: 1:50am On Jan 10, 2014
You can reduce your start up cost. I have 24 units of 2 tier cages imported but fairly used for sale. They are in top condition and require no repairs with minimal rust. They are located in Ijebu ode kindly contact on whatsapp 08023116432 or thru bbm 7C1A18C6 for pictures and more details. Email is eazeefixng@gmail.com.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 10:26pm On Jan 10, 2014
hi house
I just finished construction on my poultry farm and want to order doc broilers next week, I need to know if anyone here knows of a reputable experienced vet to connect me with and the best company to buy doc broilers from in order to achieve optimum results. my farm is located along Jikwoyi - karshi expressway in the FCT, Abuja.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:48pm On Jun 27, 2014
hello my people. we can start from here pending when oga seun will recover the remaining post.

how are you guys doing? missed this thread alot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by secnelly: 8:32pm On Jun 27, 2014
Na so we lose those pages.... up to 95..cheiei..person wey hack nl...diariz God oooo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:23am On Jul 01, 2014
hello guys what is happening to this thread. no update from any farmer.

lets keep the thread alive.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by knowledge4(m): 10:43am On Jul 01, 2014
eugeneric: @amp, so sorry it was a mistake, i meant two weeks from day old chick. dats y am kinda worried that wen it gets to POL wont the feeding be times 3.

I understand the feeding system of the chickens at any age in weeks and can rightly guide you on this.
The guy that says 600 day old chicks will consume 2 bags per day from age 2 weeks old is a novice himself and a totally ignorant person.
It is obvious that he knows practically and virtually nothing about the poultry business especially the feeding system of the chickens.
If you are rearing 6oo day old chickens, you are starting with chick starter mash from day 1 to 8 weeks.
Many starter farmers withdraw the chick starter mash by 6 weeks but i recommend 8 weeks and there are expert reasons for that decision.
However,to answer the question directly,to feed 600 day old chicks for the first 8 weeks of life will take a maximum of 70 bags of chick starter and there are principles/formulas for calculating the feeding to arrive at realistic estimates.
From 9 weeks to about 20 weeks,you apply growers mash and from 20 weeks and above to end of egg production,you apply layers mash.There are formulas for calculating the feeding costs at each stage to be able to determine the feeding budget before starting the farm.More details from the signature below

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by knowledge4(m): 10:55am On Jul 01, 2014
Rzq4: I tnk 600 day-old chicks will consume 400kg of feed in the first month(4wks)

Your estimation is misleading.
600 day old chicks will consume more than 400 kg of feed in the first 4 weeks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.