Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965023 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kaura5000: 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
please house what is the maximum egg laying ability for layers? for example if i stock 300 birds how many of them wont be laying?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:25pm On Jan 04, 2014
steel5800:

Hi guys. So sorry I haven't updated the house on my birds. Well I re stocked on dec 3rd and they will be 5weeks on tuesday. I bought 1600 while my mum bought 3100 but we lost alot on their first week due to poor handling while transporting them from ibadan to kano but they've since stabilised n hv stopped dying. I have about 1400+ now n they r doing very great. I've tried uploading pics but they are always too large to upload (about 2 to 3mb) and I'm always too busy nowadays to first send to my computer n compress b4 uploading. We gave them 24hr lighting during their 1st 4wks so as to enable them feed well n pick up fast. We also used charcoal for heating n there r 3 workers permanently on the farm. Heating has stopped now as the birds r big enough n we've also stopped giving them light at nights
great! Sorry for d lost. Which breed or steel d black harco from zartech? I‘m going restock too but ds time brown from AMOR, did any body from d house has experience on amor birds more especially layers?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
steel5800:

Hi guys. So sorry I haven't updated the house on my birds. Well I re stocked on dec 3rd and they will be 5weeks on tuesday. I bought 1600 while my mum bought 3100 but we lost alot on their first week due to poor handling while transporting them from ibadan to kano but they've since stabilised n hv stopped dying. I have about 1400+ now n they r doing very great. I've tried uploading pics but they are always too large to upload (about 2 to 3mb) and I'm always too busy nowadays to first send to my computer n compress b4 uploading. We gave them 24hr lighting during their 1st 4wks so as to enable them feed well n pick up fast. We also used charcoal for heating n there r 3 workers permanently on the farm. Heating has stopped now as the birds r big enough n we've also stopped giving them light at nights
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
kaura5000: please house what is the maximum egg laying ability for layers? for example if i stock 300 birds how many of them wont be laying?
it depends on so many factors. Mostly, rangign from 75% to 90% it could be sligthly higher or lower in rear cases & d production declined as they grow older.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
Haba my fellow farmers,nobody bothered to ask me how far with my birds. Its not fairoo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 11:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
holajeedayy: fellow nairalanders,my broiler business dis decmber is nothing much to rit about,wen i got to market i saw cheaper and bigger broiler.if any body cud help me wit vaccin or fattner dat cud speed up bird growth and make it big .......thanks
how old We're your birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 7:29am On Jan 05, 2014
jamp: Haba my fellow farmers,nobody bothered to ask me how far with my birds. Its not fairoo.
how far jamp, what percentage & have you change to layer ration?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 11:51am On Jan 05, 2014
Nbg4real: great! Sorry for d lost. Which breed or steel d black harco from zartech? I‘m going restock too but ds time brown from AMOR, did any body from d house has experience on amor birds more especially layers?

They're still d same black harco from karmadex. Amo is also very good cos my cousin has their birds n from what he says, they're performing well
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 5:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
@jamp how far wt your birds? No responce from you!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nbg4real: how far jamp, what percentage & have you change to layer ration?

Thanks brother, thank God the birds are picking up now.

The problem they had was malnutrition due to poor debeaking. I want to advice my fellow farmers to be careful of who they get to debeak their birds.
The debeaking was so bad that a flock of 1000 was eating one bag a day sometimes two bags a day for almost 3wks. To the Glory of God we are doing 8.1% now @21wks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 6:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
jamp:

Thanks brother, thank God the birds are picking up now.

The problem they had was malnutrition due to poor debeaking. I want to advice my fellow farmers to be careful of who they get to debeak their birds.
The debeaking was so bad that a flock of 1000 was eating one bag a day sometimes two bags a day for almost 3wks. To the Glory of God we are doing 8.1% now @21wks
eyyah i have similar experience but mine was not as bad as yours. I debeak them 3days after my first egg, within 5days their eating habbit resumed normal but some1 said that was contributed d delayed i experienced so far. He advised me not to debeak in future untill after 50% production

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 7:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nbg4real: eyyah i have similar experience but mine was not as bad as yours. I debeak them 3days after my first egg, within 5days their eating habbit resumed normal but some1 said that was contributed d delayed i experienced so far. He advised me not to debeak in future untill after 50% production

pls was it a vet doctor that advised u on this? Cos we always debeak long b4 the birds start laying.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
Hi, nbg, long time. Op ur birds av started layin d golden eggs? Wt ma lil experience, debeakin is sumtimes done prior to d onset of the layin period bh d best time to do it is durin the growin stage. Cos it affects d productn. Once d birds hav started layin, dia are very minimal procedures to be followed...any oda view? Nbg, wc level u dey nw bro?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 7:33pm On Jan 05, 2014
Amo has a very gud breed @stock(isa brown). Howeva, av seen sum farmers complainin abh dia management. A farmer very close to me lost almost all his birds in d first 4wks due to hatchery problem. Anoda farmer complain of marek disease wc cld be as a result of a vaccine failure. 4me i cant take d risk of bookin in dia farm cos i live very close to wia dia farm is located in ilora. Nbg, watsup?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
steel5800:

pls was it a vet doctor that advised u on this? Cos we always debeak long b4 the birds start laying.
no he is a poultry farmer for over 20years. He said since i delayed till they started laying i should have allow dm to 50% cos pol is very sensitive stage that need to be stress free.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Rzq4: Amo has a very gud breed @stock(isa brown). Howeva, av seen sum farmers complainin abh dia management. A farmer very close to me lost almost all his birds in d first 4wks due to hatchery problem. Anoda farmer complain of marek disease wc cld be as a result of a vaccine failure. 4me i cant take d risk of bookin in dia farm cos i live very close to wia dia farm is located in ilora. Nbg, watsup?
Am surprised at this cos I heard Amo is better than animal care cos they hv parent stock while animal care buys from CHI.

Anyway people experience differs. Some might be lucky while others are not.both AMO and animal care are good

Nbg, debeaking should be done before the birds starts laying.debeaking will affect the birds production. If u have ur birds in cage,debeaking can be done once.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2014
Rzq4: Amo has a very gud breed @stock(isa brown). Howeva, av seen sum farmers complainin abh dia management. A farmer very close to me lost almost all his birds in d first 4wks due to hatchery problem. Anoda farmer complain of marek disease wc cld be as a result of a vaccine failure. 4me i cant take d risk of bookin in dia farm cos i live very close to wia dia farm is located in ilora. Nbg, watsup?
so far so good today is 51% in their 28wks but d %tage is increasing daily by 1% dn 3% after every 3dayz app. 9% weekly. Secondly i have booked for amo which will come ds tuesday. What about yours?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:23pm On Jan 05, 2014
jamp:
Am surprised at this cos I heard Amo is better than animal care cos they hv parent stock while animal care buys from CHI.

Anyway people experience differs. Some might be lucky while others are not.both AMO and animal care are good

Nbg, debeaking should be done before the birds starts laying.debeaking will affect the birds production. If u have ur birds in cage,debeaking can be done once.

Cheers
specifically at what wk pls?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
Agrited is also good i tried thier broilers 300 only five dead up to maturity. But i dont know abt their layers, did any body knows?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nbg4real: specifically at what wk pls?

Before 14wks.
Can I get POL from AMO dis feb?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
jamp:

Before 14wks.
Can I get POL from AMO dis feb?
thank you jamp, unfortunatly i dont have contact directly from amo, i buy through d person dt supllies birds in my state. I live in Katsina State.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2014
@ fnk hope u sell up ur birds ds festives or yet ready? Long time we din‘t hear from your bird‘s development.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 9:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
Dey are doin fine as well. Still @77%
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:15am On Jan 06, 2014
Nbg4real: @ fnk hope u sell up ur birds ds festives or yet ready? Long time we din‘t hear from your bird‘s development.

Happy new year, we had a lot of challenges, and I am currently not in the country, I fell sick and had to go back home in November, so my guys at the farm had challenges on what to do. They sold some though. I have high hopes for this opportunity and I will be back in the country by this weekend and I will make sure that things gets on the way to what I want to see happen. I have placed an order for the defearthering machine, when I get in, we will start building a slaughter house in the farm, my defearthering machine can defearther up to 14 birds per minute. This will help us take better advantage of our effort from day old to processed birds.
So, will see how this year goes, but I am very hopeful.

@nbg4real Thank you for your concern.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 06, 2014
My farm still under construction

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 1:49pm On Jan 06, 2014
I need some help urgently please...

Who has a contact of a veterinary doctor that can help me with NDV vaccine for my pullets. The farm is around Ikotun Egbe.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
@Safex101......welldone. Your farm construction is insprining and challenging.I am starting mine next week and wont mind if you can share your construction notes with me.I noticed that you ddnt d the initial block work,pls any reason? Is it easy to complete the wood work first before doing the block work? Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
omotititi: @Safex101......welldone. Your farm construction is insprining and challenging.I am starting mine next week and wont mind if you can share your construction notes with me.I noticed that you ddnt d the initial block work,pls any reason? Is it easy to complete the wood work first before doing the block work? Your advice will be highly appreciated.
[quote

The block work was done after the wood work, I think it depends on individual preference, doing the block or the wood first does not really matter.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by justbiz: 8:25pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good eveninf house, please how much can I get ISA Brown (POL) in Ibadan and where?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by franjid: 8:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
safex101: My farm still under construction
bros how many plots is your farm
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
franjid: bros how many plots is your farm

4 plots (200 by 200) in benin city
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Any poultry farmer in Benin City here?

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.