Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,925 members, 7,821,240 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? (29030 Views)

7 Types Of Giving In The Church / Prophet Fufeyin: Now Is The Time To Display Your Wealth By Giving To The Needy / Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by johhbekeboh09: 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2021
If you consider the church leadership dont put the monies contributed to good use...look out for the needs of your church like furniture the building doors toilet landscape et al and volunteer to finance it
So far I assess that financial assistance you giving your neighbours is quite impressive

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by PointZerom: 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2021
floss:

Really?....tell us more, the bible even made you understand that "If you must eat, you must work, no food for a lazy man"...So tell your lazy pastor to go and look for work...or he should device a better means of stealing in the name of God... anyone can be called by greed into becoming a pastor, Bishop, or apostle....

Has your stinginess in the church made the pastor poorer?
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by dedunji: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
Is a carry over from your childhood when your used to give you 20 30 40 for offertory you are not the only one u Kno some people still carry that idea till today going around looking for change
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by specialmati(m): 7:07pm On Feb 21, 2021
grin angry grin what type of people do we really have as Christian this days.you gave church 40# and you think you are wise.am just imaging how that your church ilike.imagine if all the church member gives 40# so how many block abi cement una go use build the church.hope your church runs on air condition. and it they blow you.if I they that church i will just bundle you and cast you out for not contributing to the growth of the church.you think church is not run on money but you can run your home with money foolishness everywhere
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Blackdeewhy(m): 7:15pm On Feb 21, 2021
I was given this narration OP, let me share it with you probably you might learn one or two things there.
Assuming you are on your way to NEPA office to settle tour electricity bill and on your way you noticed that the next street does not have light because their poll fell.
Will you use you NEPA bill money to repair their poll or you will pay your bill?
Even if you use that money to fix the pol which is DOING THE RIGHT THING, FACT STILL REMAIN THAT YOU ARE OWING NEPA and fixing the poll does not guarantee or automatically means you will have FREE BILL.
CHEERS!
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by sonofthunder: 7:24pm On Feb 21, 2021
Sermwell:

Lol...but some persons will strongly disagree!

Possibly you don't see "needs" in your church or to the best of your knowledge, they are being met....... But only you can really answer the question you poised in the op.
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by seyz91(m): 7:29pm On Feb 21, 2021
nothing is wrong with your style of giving

infact you on right track, me too same as well i dont give pass 50naira if i eventually go to church cuz i'm not the churchy person

but you doing good bro and keep on that same pace and your better and larger reward is in heaven

better than gathering money for some pastors to be buying private jet up and down
Sermwell:
I have over time realised that I find it difficult to give larger amount of money in church. Most times I struggle to give #50 or even #20 as offerings in church. But I have always find it easy to give large sums to persons in need in and outside the church.

Quite recently, a brother accosted me in church with some challenges about his wife's childbirth in the hospital, I went with him and paid off 45k to discharge them. Aside him, I have given up to 100k (if not more) to persons in need this month alone.

But I struggle so hard to give larger sums in church. Even today, I gave #40 as offering in church when I actually have larger denominations in my wallet.

Funny enough, on my way out of the church today, I met my school mate and we went to my house together, although he didn't state categorically that he's in need, but he told me how he has been out of job for 3 months now. After the visit, I gave him 10k from the same wallet I gave #40 as offering in church today.

My question is, what could possibly be wrong with my giving in church? Is it trust issues or I consider it better to give to persons instead of the church?? Is anything wrong with my style of giving??

I need answers please!!

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 7:30pm On Feb 21, 2021
Blackdeewhy:
I was given this narration OP, let me share it with you probably you might learn one or two things there.
Assuming you are on your way to NEPA office to settle tour electricity bill and on your way you noticed that the next street does not have light because their poll fell.
Will you use you NEPA bill money to repair their poll or you will pay your bill?
Even if you use that money to fix the pol which is DOING THE RIGHT THING, FACT STILL REMAIN THAT YOU ARE OWING NEPA and fixing the poll does not guarantee or automatically means you will have FREE BILL.
CHEERS!

Considering Jesus' clear commands in Matthew 25:34-45, what you explained is the case of someone who neglects giving to the poor and consoles himself that he is giving in the church!

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Slyzen(m): 7:37pm On Feb 21, 2021
@sermwell

It is good to give to people in need, but it is better to give to people who takes their time to impact you. To impact your spirit.

The way I see it, pastors too have needs. And even though we might want to believe that their reward is in heaven, I strongly believe that giving to your spiritual leaders should be a priority just like you give to your country leaders via taxes.

Even on that note, our spiritual leaders utilize our "taxes" more judiciously than our present day government.

When you go to church, there is light, fan or AC, cleaned auditorium, cleaned compound, electronics that needs servicing, generator, for instrumentalists that are paid weekly, etc. Who do you think pay for all these that ensure the smooth running of the church?

Let's assume that you a pastor leading a church and all the members pay only 20 Naira as offering every Sunday, how do you maintain the church? If you go hungry and sick without funds, how do you find the motivation or strength to lead and motivate others?

Also, most of the free seminars and events hosted in churches today, are mostly paid for elsewhere. People pay thousands and sometimes millions to attend high-impact meeting and seminars hosted by business people. If you value the church services enough to attend them, why then is giving a reasonable token so difficult for you?

It's all about perspective.

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by gideonvalor98(m): 7:42pm On Feb 21, 2021
The fact is though we're in the end time and many unheard things in the past about church are rampant now, despite that it shouldn't trouble our mind if truely we're saved. The bible said "you shall know the Truth and it will set you free."

Know God genuinely and acknowledge him in what you do which includes giving to him cos he has done great things for you. And this giving should come from a sincere heart...from heart of gratitude. Don't let what happens around you determine how you give to God. I pray for God's blessings the more upon you.

I must also encourage you to continue doing good for others too because it is also another way of giving to God.

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by addexx: 7:43pm On Feb 21, 2021
Sermwell:
I have over time realised that I find it difficult to give larger amount of money in church. Most times I struggle to give #50 or even #20 as offerings in church. But I have always find it easy to give large sums to persons in need in and outside the church.

Quite recently, a brother accosted me in church with some challenges about his wife's childbirth in the hospital, I went with him and paid off 45k to discharge them. Aside him, I have given up to 100k (if not more) to persons in need this month alone.

But I struggle so hard to give larger sums in church. Even today, I gave #40 as offering in church when I actually have larger denominations in my wallet.

Funny enough, on my way out of the church today, I met my school mate and we went to my house together, although he didn't state categorically that he's in need, but he told me how he has been out of job for 3 months now. After the visit, I gave him 10k from the same wallet I gave #40 as offering in church today.

My question is, what could possibly be wrong with my giving in church? Is it trust issues or I consider it better to give to persons instead of the church?? Is anything wrong with my style of giving??

I need answers please!!

I know it sounds clichéd but you are giving to propagate the gospel further. You are giving to shut the gates of hell to the lost and open the gates of heaven to new converts. You are giving to members of the body of Christ in case they be in need. You are giving to appreciate and honor God for his blessings. You are depositing to your heavenly account. You are giving because you love God.

Whatever ministers do with your offering is really none of your business. You know in your heart who you gave to. God knows too

But you may decide to change your place of worship if you have overwhelming evidence of mismanagement of funds.
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 7:43pm On Feb 21, 2021
Slyzen:
@sermwell

It is good to give to people in need, but it is better to give to people who takes their time to impact you. To impact your spirit.

The way I see it, pastors too have needs. And even though we might want to believe that their reward is in heaven, I strongly believe that giving to your spiritual leaders should be a priority just like you give to your country leaders via taxes.

Even on that note, our spiritual leaders utilize our "taxes" more judiciously than our present day government.

When you go to church, there is light, fan or AC, cleaned auditorium, cleaned compound, electronics that needs servicing, generator, for instrumentalists that are paid weekly, etc. Who do you think pay for all these that ensure the smooth running of the church?

Let's assume that you a pastor leading a church and all the members pay only 20 Naira as offering every Sunday, how do you maintain the church? If you go hungry and sick without funds, how do you find the motivation or strength to lead and motivate others?

Also, most of the free seminars and events hosted in churches today, are mostly paid for elsewhere. People pay thousands and sometimes millions to attend high-impact meeting and seminars hosted by business people. If you value the church services enough to attend them, why then is giving a reasonable token so difficult for you?

It's all about perspective.

It's good that you have finally come clear that money is the motivation for pastoring the people! I like you saying the truth for what it is — if there's no money, the pastor won't get motivated!
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by femi4: 7:44pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

Considering Jesus' clear commands in Matthew 25:34-45, what you explained is the case of someone who neglects giving to the poor and consoles himself that he is giving in the church!
Wrong interpretation
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
gideonvalor98:
The fact is though we're in the end time and many unheard things in the past about church are rampant now, despite that it shouldn't trouble our mind if truely we're saved. The bible said "you shall know the Truth and it will set you free."

Know God genuinely and acknowledge him in what you do which includes giving to him cos he has done great things for you. And this giving should come from a sincere heart...from heart of gratitude. Don't let what happens around you determine how you give to God. I pray for God's blessings the more upon you.

I must also encourage you to continue doing good for others too because it is also another way of giving to God.

What you failed to realize is that Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for giving to Him: Please, go and read Matthew 25:34-45

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2021
femi4:
Wrong interpretation
Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for the gifts we have for Him: Mtt 25:40

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Slyzen(m): 7:53pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

It's good that you have finally come clear that money is the motivation for pastoring the people! I like you saying the truth for what it is — if there's no money, the pastor won't get motivated!

If he is sick and hungry, he won't be able to give his best to his flocks. Just like if your president is sick, the country would be in disarray.

That is why in every circle, the leadership must be very well taken care of at all cost. Presidents, CEOs, Pastors, King's, etc. Receive the utmost care and financial benefits because of the value they bring.

If their physical or financial well-being is threatened, they cannot perform optimally or be able to lead or motivate their followers.

Most people who have not taken leadership roles, or those from poor backgrounds don't understand this dynamics.

He that waters must be watered and made to flourish first. That is the simple truth.
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2021
Slyzen:

If he is sick and hungry, he won't be able to give his best to his flocks. Just like if your president is sick, the country would be in disarray.

That is why in every circle, the leadership must be very well taken care of at all cost. Presidents, CEOs, Pastors, King's, etc. Receive the utmost care and financial benefits because of the value they bring.

If their physical or financial well-being is threatened, they cannot perform optimally or be able to lead or motivate their followers.

Most people who have not taken leadership roles, or those from poor backgrounds don't understand this dynamics.

He that waters must be watered and made to flourish first. That is the simple truth.

Thank you once again for being sincere. But, Apostle Paul should be the example, and not CEOs or presidents, unless you want to tell us that churches are just one more secular organization!
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by professore(m): 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2021
Sermwell:

I need answers please!!
You need to avail yourself to true teachings on tithes and offering. Truth is, you have to honour God with your money. Stop giving ridiculous and beggarly amounts if you truly believe you are giving the money to God. Do this without letting nairalanders who are unbelievers influence you negatively. Also, as you help the poor and needy, you are doing it for God. God will protect you and not allow you regret being helpful in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by nextstep(m): 8:01pm On Feb 21, 2021
This giving thing is very complex to understand... for even Jesus once said, and I missquote: "Bleep the poor, their ass will be here, always asking for handouts and shit... Mary, be a dear, pour that expensive oil and rub my feet baby, for my ass is tired" shocked grin

I sometimes think the "giving to the church" is some made up cock-and-bull story written by, guess who... the Church. Before you say anything, consider, the Church had over 1,500 years to insert whatever they liked in the retelling of the stories.

One more thing: the sole requirement for salvation is believing that Jesus is your saviour. Every other thing is just mental masturbation. If you feel giving to the needy is the right thing to do, do it. Afterall pastors have zero qualms buying jets.
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by femi4: 8:01pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for the gifts we have for Him: Mtt 25:40
consoles himself that he is giving in the church!

The bold isn't part of the parable. Giving in church is scriptural according to Act 2:44-46

Let's be a balance christian

Give in church as much as you give to the poor
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 8:02pm On Feb 21, 2021
professore:

You need to avail yourself to true teachings on tithes and offering. Truth is, you have to honour God with your money. Stop giving ridiculous and beggarly amounts if you truly believe you are giving the money to God. Do this without letting nairalanders who are unbelievers influence you negatively. Also, as you help the poor and needy, you are doing it for God. God will protect you and not allow you regret being helpful in Jesus name.

Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for the gifts meant for Him: Mtt 25:40
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by femi4: 8:04pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for the gifts meant for Him: Mtt 25:40
What happened to Act 2:44-46

You removed it from your Bible
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 8:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
femi4:
consoles himself that he is giving in the church!

The bold isn't part of the parable. Giving in church is scriptural according to Act 2:44-46

Let's be a balance christian

Give in church as much as you give to the poor

It's a contribution as a member of the community.

The command is in Mtt 25:34-45

In Mtt 25:40, Jesus literally declares the proxy for gifts meant for Himself!

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by studentofTruth: 8:07pm On Feb 21, 2021
femi4:
What happened to Act 2:44-46

You removed it from your Bible

It's a contribution as a member of a community.

The mistake you must not make is to deceive people that willful contributions you make as a responsible member of the community is your gift to Jesus!
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by pepperdemzombie: 8:07pm On Feb 21, 2021
Sermwell:

You sound funny thou! What to eat is not a problem for someone like me by the grace of God. I'm yet to have time to attend weddings of some acquaintances where I may eat to my fill, you are here talking of church love feast?Lol.....My wallet has most of the times all our naira denominations, except of course #5. I went to church today with about 13k, and only 6 or 7k was 1k denominations! You need to calm down brother!
KEEP YOUR N20 TO YOURSELF HENCEFORTH! NOBODY asked you for it! You enjoyed fan/ac with electricity/gen bought with your N20 or not? You sat on a chair bought with your N20? Stop disgracing yourself, it is not compulsory to give offerings in the Church. People who give money to maintain the place are giving without complains.
You go to a Church, you see them spend on Electricity, gen, fuel, fans, seats, give snacks and drinks to children in the childrens' department etc, you give N20, you see someone who asked for N10k without bothering to know what he needs it for, you gave it out. Can you listen to yourself? Where's your head? Between your shoulders or between your legs?
It is not compulsory to drop anything, keep your N20 to yourself and enjoy what people donate for free.
They will tell you it is better to give to the beggars by the road side instead of the Church, but you will NEVER see them worshipping with the beggars on Sunday, they will go to Church as if someone took them there with a dog leech then come and complain. Mission accomplished, you want them to drag the Church and they have done so. If they give something to everyone in the Church, you will reject it ba?
Na Church swear for una?

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by gentlegenius(m): 8:08pm On Feb 21, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:
mehhnn!....

Giving to people in need is one thing on it own...

and the best form of giving on this planet.. is giving where it is needed...

Your doing the right thing..

but let me help you sir..

You don't give to church..
as in don't see it as giving to church (the administrators of the denomination)

but when you give in church, give to God, not as a gift, but as a sacrifice, and if it is a sacrifice to the most high, it should be a sacrifice worthy gift...
You've said the truth: Giving to the church is an act of sacrifice... Giving to the poor/needy is an act of love. But are you aware that what God want from us is LOVE, not sacrifice? Read Matthew 9:13.

3 Likes

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Angelmichael63: 8:08pm On Feb 21, 2021
[quote author=Sermwell post=99280629]
Lol...but some persons will strongly disagree![/quote THAT IS LACK OF TRUST TO CHURCH LEADERS AND YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE YOUR BLESSING IN FULL MEASURE BECAUSE, GIVING IN THE CHURCH IS FOR CHURCH USE WHILE INDIVIDUAL GIVING IS FOR INDIVIDUAL USE AND THERE IS DIFFERENT BLESSINGS ATTACHED TO EACH ONE. THAT IS WHY GIVEN YOUR TITHE TO INDIVIDUAL IS WRONG MALACHI 3:8-10

OFFERING SHOWS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE GOD(GREATEST COMMANDMENT) AND IS FOR THE PROPAGATION OF THE GOSPEL WHILE INDIVIDUAL GIVING SHOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HUMANITY WHICH IS THE SECOND GREATEST COMMANDMENT
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Slyzen(m): 8:11pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

Thank you once again for being sincere. But, Apostle Paul should be the example, and not CEOs or presidents, unless you want to tell us that churches are just one more secular organization!

Apostle Paul was well taken care of and he enjoyed many gifts and contributions from several churches in his clime. For example, read 2 Corinthians 8 vs 1-5

PS: Also read Philippians 4 vs 10 down.

1 Like

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by Mrbenny001: 8:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
Giving to people or your neighbors and giving in the house of God are of different scenarios with separate blessings
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by femi4: 8:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

[s]It's a contribution as a member of the community.[/s]

Ignorance

44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.

Believers not community
Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by ghettochild(m): 8:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
Sermwell:

I need answers please!!
Brow, it's quite a good gesture.
If everyone in church donates 40naira each every Sunday... Pastor will still be aiit..
Carry one with ur charitable deeds jare

2 Likes

Re: My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? by gideonvalor98(m): 8:13pm On Feb 21, 2021
studentofTruth:

What you failed to realize is that Jesus Himself gave us a proxy for giving to Him: Please, go and read Matthew 25:34-45

Explain what this verse you quoted saying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reinhard Bonnke To Host Nigeria Gospel Crusade / Lady Kneels Down To Greet Apostle Suleman As He Steps Out In Style In USA(pics) / Peace Olanike Adeleke: ‘How Pastor Adeboye Anointed Me To Sing’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.