Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? (25395 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? / She Is Single And Living On Rented Apartment, Away From Family ! Is It Good? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Nobody: 6:26am On Feb 27, 2021
Op are you a Palmpay marketer?.......your marketing strategy isn't that bad.

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by alexola20(m): 6:28am On Feb 27, 2021

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by captainamiedi1: 6:29am On Feb 27, 2021
What I did was to open shop for my mom. Stock it with goods and explain to her that I still have a life. I need to invest as well. So far, the business is doing well and I'm free from calls. Though I'm not the first my other two elder brothers are working but parents are not depending on anyone as well. My mom hates it. She hustle on her own. Stop giving them fish. Teach them how to fish. Open business for them.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Sheriman(m): 6:33am On Feb 27, 2021
Truth801:
It's mostly the other way round as the vast majority of Nigerian youths still fully or partially rely on their parents and relatives for survival. In a country ravaged by an exponentially increasing level of unemployment and poverty, youths ( graduates inclusive) find it hard to excel. Most still live under their parents roof, feed from their mother's pot and contribute next to nothing. It's a sad but stark reality.
You are 100% correct this is what is really happening in an average Nigerian home.. it is saddened my heart. Poverty is rampant

2 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Limassol(m): 6:34am On Feb 27, 2021
dazzlingd:
One other reason africans dont progress....

Carrying weights way beyond their capacity.

Sometimes in life, u have to remain focus and lock up to get to your destination......u cant be struggling to escape drowning and be dragging other weight, u will all drown!

I hope this generation learned a valuable of lesson: DON'T BREED MORE THAN YOU CAN CATER FOR!

6 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by DaInferno(m): 6:40am On Feb 27, 2021
HappyNigerian:
It’s the beginning of a new year and that means new bills and more responsibilities and thinking back at last year just gives me some sort of joy at how I have planned this year for my bills.

My family lives in Ibadan and I live in Lagos and I must confess that it is such a struggle to pay their bills while working in Lagos here. I am the first child so I have to send my family money every month, and my siblings every week.

My family DSTV bill is also something I have to do monthly while I also ensure that all my siblings get airtime on their phone every week. It is such a traumatic experience when I remember that as I am planning all this small small money that when you calculate it, it becomes big money, I have to also plan bank charges inside of it as well.
I moved out of the house at a point to make ends meet as the first son of the family especially as my parents are getting old and I’m their only source of livelihood as it is right now, some people say you do not owe your parents anything but well, I do not believe in this and I take care of my parents and see it as my duty and what I owe to them to do.

Schools have resumed, Nishola, my sister needs to go back and would need fees and other miscellaneous expenses. Femi my brother is preparing for his WAEC to enable him get into the university. My parents of course have medical bills to be sorted as well every month.

When I calculate this in total every month including bank charges, it is over 100,000 monthly that I spend last year not until this January when someone mentioned how PalmPay gives people rewards when they do transactions. At first, and as usual, I did not believe it but that is not the point of the thread.

The point of writing this thread is really to ask, how do African Children deal with the numerous bills that they have to pay for the family and friends?
You be strong man, you d try to do good but,if the stress d drain you... I'd urge you to focus on the most important things, BTW,what do you do to make ends meet?
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Lincoln275(m): 6:40am On Feb 27, 2021
IYANGBALI:
yes o
Even with that method, they will know that whenever they ask you 10k you will slash it into 2, then they double the money they want to ask you and eventually you give them exact amount they really need, wise up. You owe nobody anything.

9 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by alexola20(m): 6:43am On Feb 27, 2021

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:50am On Feb 27, 2021
seanwilliam:
I wanted to attack u but then I see your moniker and I backed and agreed that u know more than I do. How have u been

Please attack, I may learn from what you have to say.

Most Africans enjoy the sole provider and richest member of the family title.

If the load is too heavy for him, he knows what he will do

2 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by alizma: 6:51am On Feb 27, 2021
Zanxx:
My dear, it's not easy ooo. Sometimes I feel like running away. My case is worse because I live with them. I am so frustrated that for over a week now I have been giving them attitude, I don't talk to any of them. I just drop money for food and any other thing that needs to be paid, then off I go. The rent is almost due and they are all waiting for me to conjure the money from the sky.smh. The burden is just too much
May God bless you more. However I think the best thing at time is to give them a little gap to avoid them noticing those period when you look sad because of the too much pressure. Because you maybe surprised in the future that of all the good things you think you have been doing, one or two of your siblings may forget when things get better for them but only remember few ugly things or attitude that you put up on the days the pressure is much on you. Even your parents can forget if one of your siblings becomes billionaire tomorrow and they start seeing the sacrifice of 100k today like peanut (5naira).

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by capitalzero: 6:51am On Feb 27, 2021
Humans are insatiable. Siblings, relatives and friends are worse . If they ask for 10,000, give 2k or say no or promise. If you keep responding to their needs, they keep asking for more.

I do help people when they are not expecting it. They appreciate it more. I identify their needs and I help. If you request for help, I determine if your request is necessary or not. I focus on basic human needs-medicals. I can't buy clothes for your owambe. I can subscribe for your dstv. I can't pay for extravagant life styles.

I keep simple eyes. I don't discuss material things. I discuss life. You wouldn't see me in social media posting about my success. I live below my income but I do investment for sale of my children and my old age. I do not want rely on my children on my old age.

Worry less about people. If you don't exist, they would be fine. If you are filling their needs without hesitancy , they would be pampered.

I encourage people around me to acquire skills so as to take care of themselves . I tell them to be self-reliant. I learnt that skills as student. I rarely burrow. I don't buy things on impulse.
@HappyNigerian
If you get married, and your responsibilities increase, they would tag your wife a witch and wicked. That she is 'eating' your money. I think you enjoy spending on them so that they can be calling you big man of the family.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:51am On Feb 27, 2021
seanwilliam:
I wanted to attack u but then I see your moniker qand I backed and agreed that u know more than I do. How have u been

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:54am On Feb 27, 2021
OrdinaryNigeria:
Wat do u mean by one owe his parents, nothing?

As for me ,u owe them everything.

We are africans

As parents we should not make our children our retirement plans.

As grown up children we should not make our parents our emergency fund plan

9 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by CrownWale93(m): 6:55am On Feb 27, 2021
My brother I feel for you as myself too.
E no easy oo, na that is what makes me works around the clock from being an Insurance brokers, website designer, affiliate marketer,sign writer & screen printer, Online investment Networking and so on. Yet some people still dey own me money I borrow them. So much bills to settle.
HappyNigerian:
It’s the beginning of a new year and that means new bills and more responsibilities and thinking back at last year just gives me some sort of joy at how I have planned this year for my bills.

My family lives in Ibadan and I live in Lagos and I must confess that it is such a struggle to pay their bills while working in Lagos here. I am the first child so I have to send my family money every month, and my siblings every week.

My family DSTV bill is also something I have to do monthly while I also ensure that all my siblings get airtime on their phone every week. It is such a traumatic experience when I remember that as I am planning all this small small money that when you calculate it, it becomes big money, I have to also plan bank charges inside of it as well.
I moved out of the house at a point to make ends meet as the first son of the family especially as my parents are getting old and I’m their only source of livelihood as it is right now, some people say you do not owe your parents anything but well, I do not believe in this and I take care of my parents and see it as my duty and what I owe to them to do.

Schools have resumed, Nishola, my sister needs to go back and would need fees and other miscellaneous expenses. Femi my brother is preparing for his WAEC to enable him get into the university. My parents of course have medical bills to be sorted as well every month.

When I calculate this in total every month including bank charges, it is over 100,000 monthly that I spend last year not until this January when someone mentioned how PalmPay gives people rewards when they do transactions. At first, and as usual, I did not believe it but that is not the point of the thread.

The point of writing this thread is really to ask, how do African Children deal with the numerous bills that they have to pay for the family and friends?
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:56am On Feb 27, 2021
MrHighSea:

no start ds argument abeg.

So, ur unborn kids r indebted to u already.

dt chain needs to be broken. let's not feel entitled abeg.

Personally, each kid must be born a millionaire. I go try make ground soft for them. Not making them feed me and pay their siblings' school fees.

Their resources should rather be a plus to us.

They'll love you still without hardship.

That is how responsible people reason

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Psoul(m): 7:00am On Feb 27, 2021
Be somehow stingy and hard-hearted.
Get seriously focused and make as much money as u can
Establish yourself and build strong financial channels
Then come back as a wealthy person
Help all you can
I tell you, they will forget all the years u were not there for them.

If you try to help all that come ur way when you were still struggling to stand
You will not build urslf and may not even be able to build the person u wanted to help
At the end, both of u will remain at the same poverty level.
At some other time, the person u helped may not be able to help u later if things change for u.
So concentrate on urslf first.
Stand before you want to make another to stand.
Don't try to be a solution when you yourself is still a problem that needs to be solved.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by temitimx19(m): 7:01am On Feb 27, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Can you explain more on this
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by dominique(f): 7:06am On Feb 27, 2021
HappyNigerian:

My brother, I don use that strategy but dem call me stingy

Has calling a person stingy ever killed them before? They should go and work for the money if it's that easy. If you kill yourself trying to satisfy people none of them will follow you into the grave o. Give them what you can afford and save money for yourself. The thing with dependent entitled Nigerians is, the more you give the more they demand. You'll only wreck yourself trying to meet with their endless demands and they'll be fine

11 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:06am On Feb 27, 2021
temitimx19:

Can you explain more on this

You will remove the excess load for the sake of your sanity, health and financial stability.

A lot of young people now have high blood pressure because they are carrying loads that are too heavy for them.

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by IMASTEX: 7:08am On Feb 27, 2021
Zanxx:
My dear, it's not easy ooo. Sometimes I feel like running away. My case is worse because I live with them. I am so frustrated that for over a week now I have been giving them attitude, I don't talk to any of them. I just drop money for food and any other thing that needs to be paid, then off I go. The rent is almost due and they are all waiting for me to conjure the money from the sky.smh. The burden is just too much
May you keep feeding the right help and energy to keep up. Truly it could be very frustrating having to house so much responsibilities from friends & families. Most of whom always have a strong believe that you have money and you can't be broke even when they keep placing demands. This is why the rich always create a rich circle of friends & lock themselves away from the poor. The Africa system is wired for suffering.

4 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by toprealman: 7:13am On Feb 27, 2021
Smart PR by PalmPay.
Your siblings should go and get a casual work anywhere.....bakery, factory, fuel station, eatery, security....etc. You guys are operating on the old paradigm which does not apply to modern day reality. That way the appreciate money more, become more responsible and most importantly streetwise.
Yes you owe you parents everything, so believe. You are their investment..... continue to do the best you can for them.
Also remember that when it comes to friends, people are selfish. The are quick to forget the good things you do for them, choosing to hold on to the "bad" memories which is mainly when you tell them no or give them part and not the full bill they slammed at you.

1 Like

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by toprealman: 7:17am On Feb 27, 2021
alexola20:
What I can tell you,Las las some of this peo people will still call you stingy,irresponsible,selfish and to top it all,they will say "what have you done that another person hasn't done before".
And be wary,they might even go diabolical with you.Dem go still winch you Las las.

Talking from a bitter experience with family.

I have cut every single member of my family completely off.No contact no communication.
After I made so much money and mismanaged/embezzled by dear mama and still want my head on the plate.

Oga if you don't stop now,na tears dey mostly end this arrangement.
And if you have a woman,it will be worse.
So sad bro.
Can you share your story? We can learn from it
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Yxxx: 7:19am On Feb 27, 2021
Cutehector:
gaaan marry

What a response?
Very very unthoughtful.
Will marriage save the situation?

2 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by ade2008(m): 7:20am On Feb 27, 2021
Psoul:
Be somehow stingy and hard-hearted.
Get seriously focused and make as much money as u can
Establish yourself and build strong financial channels
Then come back as a wealthy person
Help all you can
I tell you, they will forget all the years u were not there for them.

If you try to help all that come ur way when you were still struggling to stand
You will not build urslf and may not even be able to build the person u wanted to help
At the end, both of u will remain at the same poverty level.
At some other time, the person u helped may not be able to help u later if things change for u.
So concentrate on urslf first.
Stand before you want to make another to stand.
Don't try to be a solution when you yourself is still a problem that needs to be solved.

I like this

1 Like

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by ProphetofOdin: 7:21am On Feb 27, 2021
Too much family responsibilities on this part of the world. That's why even some of us that earn a living still feel we are poor cos of the number of dependants.

5 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by femi4: 7:24am On Feb 27, 2021
HappyNigerian:

You are not helping them to fish for themselves. Stop giving them fish

Dstv and regular airtime for their phones are not investment. It's a waste of money.

Focus on support on their biz, education and well being not irrelevance like dstv subscription

3 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 27, 2021
No doubt u are helping your family but I think you are exaggerating here.
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by DanHaske: 7:27am On Feb 27, 2021
I'm more concerned about the primary message for the post. Use paypalm instead of bank transfer to send airtime, pay bills, make transfer etc.
The rest na story that might not be true
My bank charges me 10 naira for transfers. How much does PayPalm charge?

4 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Lincoln275(m): 7:28am On Feb 27, 2021
Yxxx:

What a response?
Very very unthoughtful.
Will marriage save the situation?
Marriage will still add to his problem, am not sure the guy will survive it if he add marriage to his self inflicted problem. He needs to be a man first.
Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 27, 2021
Put every dependant on a reasonable fixed monthly stipend; payable on a fixed date that is convenient for you; and make them aware that it is their responsibility to budget all their expenses around it.

The small unplanned payments they ask for randomly are the worst money wasters. Eliminate them.

1 Like

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by authority2006(m): 7:30am On Feb 27, 2021
Zanxx:

I swear. What pisses me off the most is that by 3:30am I am up and getting ready for work while they sleep. I get home in the evening to find them so relaxed watching TV. Last month, I told them to get their acts together because I am not the only one living in that house. I love my family but honestly I can't continue like this

You can start making a change by moving out first.

2 Likes

Re: HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? by IMASTEX: 7:32am On Feb 27, 2021
dazzlingd:
One other reason africans dont progress....

Carrying weights way beyond their capacity.

Sometimes in life, u have to remain focus and lock up to get to your destination......u cant be struggling to escape drowning and be dragging other weight, u will all drown!
True, this is one of the major reason poverty abound in African families. In the West, his parents would have been taken care of by the system while his siblings would have access to education grants and work while schooling to take care of personal needs. Breaking poverty chains while in Africa is a miracle with all this responsibilities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Your Children Call The Police For Disciplining Them. / 14 Things That Hurt Your Wife / Mother Drowns Her 9-year-old Son For Having A Small Joystick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.