Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? (9206 Views)

Why Do Muslims Ask Christain To Wear Hijab Before Entering Their Premises / Temiloluwa Adeboye Celebrates Her Birthday (Photo) / Is It Right For A Christain To Own A Club/bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Emusan(m): 10:00pm On Apr 15, 2021
Barristter07:

Egyptologist Dr. James Hoffmeier comments: this is referencing the subject [pharaoh ] coronation date, since that would have been the Pharaoh's "birth" as a god.

That's the source of the Statement quoted.

Was pharaoh not viewed as a god ( Horus) ?

Was humans and angels not said to be god?

We're still waiting for your source to support your lies.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Emusan(m): 10:09pm On Apr 15, 2021
Barristter07:

The same verse recorded their sisters as mere invitees, So are you subscribing to the idea that women are mere invitees to a birth day ?

Na wah grin grin grin grin grin

I didn't give much attention to that Job from beginning because I thought @achorladey has done enough justice to that but I see you derive joy in your ignorance and delusion.

Here is the verse in NIV

"His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them."

Everyone can see the verse didn't say, the sisters don't hold their own birthdays but WHENEVER THEIR BROTHERS DID they'll be invited.

Everyone knows Bible mostly silent on female issues but to satisfy your delusion you have to interject your own twisting theory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Emusan(m): 10:26pm On Apr 15, 2021
Barristter07:
" ... put a ring on his hand " Luke 15:22

What's special about rings?

Something is special because it's pagan origin!

People celebrate Wedding , Jesus attended one.

Who is talking about wedding or Jesus attended wedding?

And people use rings on their hands.

Show us the servants of God who put ring in their fingers

Don't forget pharaoh gave Joseph a signet ring,

And the same Pharaoh is viewed as god, that's wonderful.

Yet Many Jews use rings on their fingers. So the idea of wearing rings have no condemnation.

Can you show us where the idea of celebrating birthdays has condemnation?

Show us one that did their birthday celebration ?

Do you show us one that wear ring?

In case you lost in your own delusion, let me recap for you.

1. Your point centered on Birthday has a pagan origin
2. Lev 18:3 asked the Israelites not to PRACTICE any of the Egyptian and Canaan customs.

Now!

1. Wedding ring is a pagan practice as can be confirmed throughout history.

Ancient Egypt: Ring of infinity

Ancient Egyptians are said to have been the first to use rings in a wedding ceremony, as early as 3000 BC. Rings were made of braided hemp or reeds formed into a circle— the symbol of eternity, not only for the Egyptians, but many other ancient cultures. The hole in the ring’s center represented a gateway or door leading to future events. These rings were placed on the fourth finger of the left hand (known as the ring finger) as Egyptians believed a vein ran from that finger straight to the heart, and this practice is said to be the origins of many later traditions."
Source Here

2. If the instruction of Lev 18:3 is that Israelites shouldn't put hands in any practices they see the Egyptians doing, and wedding ring originated from Egypt, then only a bias mind will contradict his own point of view here.

Q.E.D

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:02am On Apr 16, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Exactly what all the contemporary religionsts of Jesus' day said about him {John 10:20} so you're confirming what he foretold that you and your people (who can't agree on the same line of thought) will say about his true followers! John 15:20

If you've concluded that my church is scam then is there any reason whatsoever to start asking me questions when you're damn sure that i don't have the answer? cheesy

Stop comparing your Church to Jesus. Your church is a well known false church.

I repeat what is Sin?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:04am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

grin woman no get date of birth ?
So you expect the Bible to tell you how Abraham Slept with Sarah?
All the positions they did , and weather Abraham used contraceptive or not?
If the answer is NO, than don't expect the Bible to tell us about women birthday becos it was not relevant to the subject which was about Job and his trials.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:08am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

His day NOT his birthday.

His day can mean a time someone chosed.

There was a custom in that family that the sons organize a Feast. So each will chose his own day to organize it. That's the reference point of the text.

That you said the females are just mere invitees proved beyond doubt , that wasn't a birthday. Don't the females have a date of birth too ? if that place want to sideline females according to your point of view, it won't have made mention of them attending at all . That the females cannot organize that feast is enough prove for a rational person that the Job text wasn't a reference to birthday's

See how you are boxing yourself into a corner hypocrite..

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:13am On Apr 16, 2021
Emusan:

I didn't give much attention to that Job from beginning because I thought @achorladey has done enough justice to that but I see you derive joy in your ignorance and delusion.

Here is the verse in NIV

"His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them."

Everyone can see the verse didn't say, the sisters don't hold their own birthdays but WHENEVER THEIR BROTHERS DID they'll be invited.

Everyone knows Bible mostly silent on female issues but to satisfy your delusion you have to interject your own twisting theory.

On point.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:16am On Apr 16, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Exactly what all the contemporary religionsts of Jesus' day said about him {John 10:20} so you're confirming what he foretold that you and your people (who can't agree on the same line of thought) will say about his true followers! John 15:20

If you've concluded that my church is scam then is there any reason whatsoever to start asking me questions when you're damn sure that i don't have the answer? cheesy

Ecclesiastes 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; John 16:21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.

Ecclesiastes 11:8 But if a man live many years, and rejoice in them all; yet let him remember the days of darkness; for they shall be many. All that cometh is vanity.

Luke 1:14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:18am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

The Jews observed certain years as celebration and it was not counted a Sin.

Deuteronomy 34:8 And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

Esther 9:27 The Jews ordained, and took upon them, and upon their seed, and upon all such as joined themselves unto them, so as it should not fail, that they would keep these two days according to their writing, and according to their appointed time every year;

Esther 9:28 And that these days should be remembered and kept throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city; and that these days of Purim should not fail from among the Jews, nor the memorial of them perish from their seed.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:21am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

Is mourning of Pagan origin?
Because the Egyptians and Israelites did it.

The Israelites also observed time.

Genesis 50:3 And forty days were fulfilled for him; for so are fulfilled the days of those which are embalmed: and the Egyptians mourned for him threescore and ten days.

Genesis 50:4 And when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spake unto the house of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying,

Genesis 50:10 And they came to the threshingfloor of Atad, which is beyond Jordan, and there they mourned with a great and very sore lamentation: and he made a mourning for his father seven days.

Leviticus 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

Numbers 10:10 Also in the day of your gladness, and in your solemn days, and in the beginnings of your months, ye shall blow with the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; that they may be to you for a memorial before your God: I am the LORD your God.

Numbers 20:29 And when all the congregation saw that Aaron was dead, they mourned for Aaron thirty days, even all the house of Israel.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:50am On Apr 16, 2021
Thanks for quoting the book of our heritage Sir, so where is birthday celebration written as an example of what our spiritual family of ancient times did?
Please we are not saying you can't read, cite or quote our book (Bible) but you can't find birthday celebration in the history of our people that's why modern day servants of JEHOVAH stopped the celebration of birthdays after discovering that it's no part of our heritage! Isaiah 54:17 smiley

blueAgent:

Ecclesiastes 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; John 16:21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.
Ecclesiastes 11:8 But if a man live many years, and rejoice in them all; yet let him remember the days of darkness; for they shall be many. All that cometh is vanity.
Luke 1:14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:06am On Apr 16, 2021
Emusan:

Something is special because it's pagan origin!

Who is talking about wedding or Jesus attended wedding?

Show us the servants of God who put ring in their fingers

And the same Pharaoh is viewed as god, that's wonderful.

Can you show us where the idea of celebrating birthdays has condemnation?

Do you show us one that wear ring?

In case you lost in your own delusion, let me recap for you.

1. Your point centered on Birthday has a pagan origin
2. Lev 18:3 asked the Israelites not to PRACTICE any of the Egyptian and Canaan customs.

Now!

1. Wedding ring is a pagan practice as can be confirmed throughout history.

Ancient Egypt: Ring of infinity

Ancient Egyptians are said to have been the first to use rings in a wedding ceremony, as early as 3000 BC. Rings were made of braided hemp or reeds formed into a circle— the symbol of eternity, not only for the Egyptians, but many other ancient cultures. The hole in the ring’s center represented a gateway or door leading to future events. These rings were placed on the fourth finger of the left hand (known as the ring finger) as Egyptians believed a vein ran from that finger straight to the heart, and this practice is said to be the origins of many later traditions."
Source Here

2. If the instruction of Lev 18:3 is that Israelites shouldn't put hands in any practices they see the Egyptians doing, and wedding ring originated from Egypt, then only a bias mind will contradict his own point of view here.

Q.E.D

Examine the highlighted which form the basis of this tradition. What connection does it have with pagan gods ?

Compared with Birthdays that revered the birth of Pharaohs as god [Horus] , a pagan god.

Delusion grandeur is when you assume the statement pagan origin means anything non believers do is wrong. Rather it means it has connection with a pagan god.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:07am On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

So you expect the Bible to tell you how Abraham Slept with Sarah?
All the positions they did , and weather Abraham used contraceptive or not?
If the answer is NO, than don't expect the Bible to tell us about women birthday becos it was not relevant to the subject which was about Job and his trials.

Emphasis on " when the period had passed " . How come the period of birthdays passed without the females doing theirs ?
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:14am On Apr 16, 2021
Emusan:

Here is the verse in NIV

Rather see verse 5 .

" When a period of feasting [by the sons, verse 4] had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified "

A wise person could see here that this particular feast is strictly organized by the sons, which doesn't fit the narrative of a birthday which is for both men and women. Every year only this sons organize this feast. This is not birthday!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:15am On Apr 16, 2021
Emusan:

Was humans and angels not said to be god?

We're still waiting for your source to support your lies.

humans and angels are not called god Horus .

I gave the source already.

Egyptologist and bible Scholar Dr. James Hoffmeier comments: this birthday is referencing the subject [pharaoh ] coronation date, since that would have been the Pharaoh's "birth" as a god.

Disprove that.

Na pagan celebration you carry for head like gala. No single servant of God even do am.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:20am On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

Is mourning of Pagan origin?
Because the Egyptians and Israelites did it.

The Israelites also observed time.

Genesis 50:3 And forty days were fulfilled for him; for so are fulfilled the days of those which are embalmed: and the Egyptians mourned for him threescore and ten days.

Genesis 50:4 And when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spake unto the house of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying,

Genesis 50:10 And they came to the threshingfloor of Atad, which is beyond Jordan, and there they mourned with a great and very sore lamentation: and he made a mourning for his father seven days.

Leviticus 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

Numbers 10:10 Also in the day of your gladness, and in your solemn days, and in the beginnings of your months, ye shall blow with the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; that they may be to you for a memorial before your God: I am the LORD your God.

Numbers 20:29 And when all the congregation saw that Aaron was dead, they mourned for Aaron thirty days, even all the house of Israel.

Educate yourself, the statement pagan origin means connection with false worship not that because pagans mourn , isrealites cannot mourn. Mourning is human trait, same way wedding is generic irrespective of religion.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

Educate yourself, the statement pagan origin means connection with false worship not that because pagans mourn , isrealites cannot mourn. Mourning is human trait, same way wedding is generic irrespective of religion.

So becos Pagans celeberated birthday means we Christains cannot ?

You keep exposing yourself.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

Emphasis on " when the period had passed " . How come the period of birthdays passed without the females doing theirs ?

Go and write your own Bible
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 9:52am On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

You would as well have asked why Job's wife was not trailed or trail mentioned.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Barristter07: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

From Egyptians to the Greeks and the Romans. Birthday celebration are celebration of pagan gods or some unknown spirits. You can read the Book the The Lore of Birthdays for more info.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:21am On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

You asked a question and you've heard different opinions so it's left to your to choose whatever suits you liking whether the path of those whose God you claim you're worshiping or those whom you despise as pagans! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Janosky: 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

[s]Your Bible skill Sucks.
No wonder your Church is a scam and known for false prophecies.
[/s]
At your age you do not know the difference between the sacrificial laws and the ten commandments.

An you still do not know the difference between Jewiah festivals and the weekly sabbath insistuted by God [/b]before sin came into the World.

[s]You are suppose to be a Muslim. Christianity is far from you[/s].

"[b]Christ is the end of the Law of written ordinances called the Mosaic Law.
Colossians 3:13-16. Romans 10:4 is sacrosanct.

Bros go write your own Bible and put your GIBBERISH.
grin grin grin
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Janosky: 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

So-called follower of Jesus and hypocrisy grin

Matthew 14:6-12, did Jesus Christ you claim to follow knew that king Herod celebrated birthdays ?
Why did Jesus Christ shun annual birthdays celebrations?

Bros, why do you support a practice Jesus knew to be exclusively pagan ?
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2021
[quote author=Janosky post=100848060]
So-called follower of Jesus and hypocrisy grin

Matthew 14:6-12, did Jesus Christ you claim to follow knew that king Herod celebrated birthdays ?
Why did Jesus Christ shun annual birthdays celebrations?

Bros, why do you support a practice Jesus knew to be exclusively pagan ?[/quote

You are confused, The only reason Herod's birthday and that of Pharaoh were mentioned in the Bible is becos of the incidence that occured coincidentally on that day.

No where is it mentioned that birthday is wrong or becos of the Herod and Pharaoh No one should celebrate birthday.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:14pm On Apr 16, 2021
Janosky:

"Christ is the end of the Law of written ordinances called the Mosaic Law.
Colossians 3:13-16. Romans 10:4 is sacrosanct.

Bros go write your own Bible and put your GIBBERISH.
grin grin grin

Is amazing how you can lie or contradict yourself with same the mouth.

If Christ is the end of the law, then why did Christ say the law would not pass away or be changed till Heaven and Earth pass away?
Which Law is Christ referring to? Or the author of Colossians and Roman's referring to?

If it is the same law than God's word is contradicting its self which is not possible.

So Either you or Christ is confused and Liaring, of course I know it is you, becos your church has record of false teachings and doctrines.
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:15pm On Apr 16, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

You asked a question and you've heard different opinions so it's left to your to choose whatever suits you liking whether the path of those whose God you claim you're worshiping or those whom you despise as pagans! smiley

See answer.

Since pagans mourned their dead loved ones, using your logic are we Christains not supposed to shun mourning since pagans did the same?
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 4:18pm On Apr 16, 2021
Barristter07:

From Egyptians to the Greeks and the Romans. Birthday celebration are celebration of pagan gods or some unknown spirits. You can read the Book the The Lore of Birthdays for more info.

Books written by Your false teachers.

So when the wise men celebrated Christ's birth they were celebrating a pagan god?
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:20pm On Apr 16, 2021
Abraham mourned, the Israelites mourned Jacob, Joseph and Moses. When Jesus died his disciples mourned.
So that is RECORDED in our Heritage Sir! wink

blueAgent:

See answer.
Since pagans mourned their dead loved ones, using your logic are we Christains not supposed to shun mourning since pagans did the same?
Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:22pm On Apr 16, 2021
Were they celebrating him?
Come on my friend, they brought gifts to a child whose supposed star they saw from afar.
Was it his birthday? cheesy

blueAgent:

So when the wise men celebrated Christ's birth they were celebrating a pagan god?

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Janosky: 4:37pm On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

See answer.

Bros , John 11:35 "Jesus wept" to mourn who ?

Bros, please provide chapter and verse:
Jesus celebrate Christmas or whose birthday ?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by Janosky: 4:48pm On Apr 16, 2021
blueAgent:

Sifia painment. cheesy

The Magi did not celebrate Christ birthday.
Neither his earthly parents.
Bros, no dey DECEIVE yourself.
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For A Christain To Celebrate His Or Her Birthday? by blueAgent(m): 9:46pm On Apr 16, 2021
Janosky:

Bros , John 11:35 "Jesus wept" to mourn who ?

Bros, please provide chapter and verse:
Jesus celebrate Christmas or whose birthday ?
grin grin grin grin

You dodged answering my question.
Are christains supposed to mourn since pagans do it?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Roman Catholicism Is Idolatry And True Christianity Is Gnosis / What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? / Another Warning By Kingsley Ubani - Is This Revelation Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.