Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,033 members, 7,814,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine (37315 Views)

Peter Obi Live Interview On CNN (Video link and Picture) / Hushpuppi: Abba Kyari's Story On CNN / Lekki Shooting: Nigeria Will Never Spare CNN, Others For Spreading Fake News –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by BlckBoy4U(m): 6:37am On Mar 30, 2021
a big question that demands answer
maybe lier Mohammad would answer this one
TemmyT002:
And it makes sense small ó. Just small sha.
But wait.
Shey Hisbah will not complain and spoil television if they see Guinness advert?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.
it won't work just like when he asked Nigeria musicians not to shoot their videos outside nigeria

This is an industry you didn't create, this is an industry that is privately run not by government.

The same rich goons that can advertise on CNN would flout it as usual

You can't tell the private sector how to advertise their goods, they go for quality marketing and products

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by mamaafrik(m): 6:40am On Mar 30, 2021
Buhari should change all our public cars used by the Presidency,ministers and ministry to Nigerian made or assembled.
Wear and use our brands of vehicle,engineers,wears,Facilities etc

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Blackdisciple(m): 6:41am On Mar 30, 2021
This man and finning ...
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by slimdamatrix1(m): 6:42am On Mar 30, 2021
This country becomes a bigger joke daily.

Nigerian leaders are the worst things to happen to this nation.

I need to stop reading news!

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.
it won't work just like when he asked Nigeria musicians not to shoot their videos outside nigeria

This is an industry you didn't create, this is an industry that is privately run not by government.

You can't tell the private sector how to advertise their goods, they go for quality marketing and products

Btw they don't care about local content, they are looking for how to generate excess money to bandits from everywhere
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Kobicove(m): 6:43am On Mar 30, 2021
The reason why big brands don't like advertising in Nigerian league matches is because they're almost always rigged in favour of the home team
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Rugaria: 6:46am On Mar 30, 2021
I support him on this one!
I actually think the charge should increase to 100k USD or above.

Some of those advertisements are so embarrassing and without any organized plan to achieve intended goals.
Some Nigerian banks pay millions for CNN adverts and then allow cnn to basically develope the content!
In the end what you have is a series of advertised programs that demarket the continent rather than promote..
Zeniths Bank "Inside Africa" is a very good example..
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Focusmind: 6:49am On Mar 30, 2021
I am sure people would attack FG for this. I fully support this just that my concern is the corruption and waste of public funds and tax payers money collected.

UK and other European countries do the same and are very concern about contents consumed in their country while payments made for the same contents goes to another country.

Lack of trust has made Nigerians to always hate any government policy. FG should work hard to build trust among its people. Nigerian governments should rank among the least trusted government in the world.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Pyhonist: 6:50am On Mar 30, 2021
For the first time ever, I agree with Lai Mohammed.)
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Fiscus105(m): 6:52am On Mar 30, 2021
Charmingrascal:
Mohammed argued that until the anti-competitive and monopolistic tendencies are expunged from the broadcast sector, Nigeria would not be able to grow local content.o

But the mannequin is investing in UK's health system, how is he growing local content?
Imagine telling us that the President is going for medical check-up in London.
Which check dem no fit check am for Nigeria.

Yeye

Conderming every policy government roll out is disservice to one nation, I doubt if u read it before attacking again, yet foolish people like u, give u likes already.

The messenger may not good but what about the message?

You urself that is attacking now, you hardly buy local wears, yet ur rant is at top of joblessness.

If you don't care u will struggle to train ur kids in proper and Godly way. why? Because Whenever others including ur wife/ teachers/pastor are Conderming ur kids for their wrong doings, instead to join them to chastise ur wards, you would not, but pointing to their own past mistakes.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by pickatyou1: 6:52am On Mar 30, 2021
Hahahaha, tyranny.
Instead on working on an already dead NTA so you can compete with CNN and their likes, so you fit drag their customer you want to use the monster approach to scare them.

Well big companies will pay you and continue with their ads on reputation stations.

All buhari boys are dull I swear.

Check my signature if you have a car and interested in installing a tracking device. It might interest you
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Minjim: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2021
What about various states advertising themselves on CNN?

Just support the local industries to make them competitive
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SmartPolician: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:

Btw they don't care about local content, they are looking for how to generate excess money to bandits from everywhere

Veryyyyyyyy funny.
No business or individual is bigger than a government unless the government is not serious about policy implementation.
When Nigeria fined MTN, former SA president Jacob Zuma had to visit Nigeria to plead on their behalf. So, the buck stops at this government's desk.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by engrchykae(m): 6:54am On Mar 30, 2021
chinjo:
Old fool
I support Lai on this one
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Minjim: 6:55am On Mar 30, 2021
Pyhonist:
For the first time ever, I agree with Lai Mohammed.)

It can't work without stake holders contributions. This is tyranny.
Why are musicians going to Ghana and SA to produce their music and videos?
Because they have something we lack.
The FG should rather provide that thing
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 6:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Biggest fool ever
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

Veryyyyyyyy funny.
No business or individual is bigger than a government unless the government is not serious about policy implementation.
When Nigeria fined MTN, former SA president Jacob Zuma had to visit Nigeria to plead on their behalf. So, the buck stops at this government's desk.
Adenuga, Dangote, rabiu or bua, Jim ovia are the elites affected here

They are more or less the monopolists this government gave economic Barton to
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by dominion001(m): 6:59am On Mar 30, 2021
Instead of finding the solution on how to make the so called League attractive for investors this mumu dey go top of tree to try solve problem that is at the root of the tree.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Deathforall: 6:59am On Mar 30, 2021
What of buhari going to UK for just medical check-up.

SmartPolician:

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SmartPolician: 7:00am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
Adenuga, Dangote, rabiu or bua, Jim ovia are the elites affected here

They are more or less the monopolists this government gave economic Barton to

True, I get your point.

Now, let's see how it goes.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by vineyardfarms: 7:01am On Mar 30, 2021
Successionist:
Brands running adverts on CNN, others to pay N100,000 fine -FG

https://punchng.com/brands-running-adverts-on-cnn-others-to-pay-n100000-fine-fg/

@ LIA MOHAMMED - YOU CANNOT CONTROL OR POCKET CNN. GET OVER IT. CHARITY BEGAN AT HOME - STOP PMB - YOURSELF AND OTHERS FROM TAKEN MEDICAL AND EDUCATIONAL TRIPS OVERSEAS - SHOW EXAMPLE - IMPROVE YOUR LOCAL CONTENT.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 30, 2021
Thus is how people will see Nigerians and think that we don't have sense
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ofiko123(m): 7:02am On Mar 30, 2021
Nice one... the federal government is working..
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by tete7000(m): 7:03am On Mar 30, 2021
truthfulparrot:
This is what happens when you are a perpetual liar. Even when you are speaking the truth or making sense, nobody believe you. If only Lai Mohammed knows the huge damage he has done to himself and his family!

The man tell you say he get dignity before, or hin tell you say e get family name to protect? Check his background, you will be surprised the man has always been a low ife. The problem is not with Lai and his likes but rather with a society and a people who prefers to glorify such men at the expense of men with integrity. Those with integrity run away from the land everyday to where they are recognized.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ibietela2(m): 7:17am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

How are we sure the funds will go where it should and not to his pocket or one of the presidency?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 7:18am On Mar 30, 2021
How is Guinness a Nigerian brand?
This people should stop disgracing us jare
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by naijadrivablog: 7:19am On Mar 30, 2021
Dangote, Access Bank and co.

But they rather pay it so as to have international exposure.

You can't expect an pan-african company not to run ads on an international platform.

T
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ibietela2(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2021
felixzo1:
I don't like you but support you 100% on this. this will go a long way to growth local content both in sports and the entertainment industry.

After they invest 30% what will be their gain and ROI?

Empty stadiums?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ibietela2(m): 7:22am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

You let emotion becloud your sense of reasoning.... Who is buying Dangote cement in USA? As far as I am concerned, the major market of Guinness is Nigeria...

Do you know if the ads are showing in America?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ibietela2(m): 7:23am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

Sometimes, they do it to build their credibility around the world and expand into those foreign markets. That said, it could be for some other reasons best known to them.

But I noticed that Nigerian companies advertise on CNN Africa more than companies from any other countries in Africa. I am sure there are richer companies in South Africa, but you rarely see them running ads on CNN.

Sponsoring shows are different from ads

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ogun: Dapo Abiodun Narrowly Wins Polling Unit With 5 Votes / Soludo Makes First Public Appearance After Electoral Victory(Pictures). / Tambuwal Resigns; Makinde Takes Over As PDP Governors’ Forum Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.