Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine (37355 Views)

Peter Obi Live Interview On CNN (Video link and Picture) / Hushpuppi: Abba Kyari's Story On CNN / Lekki Shooting: Nigeria Will Never Spare CNN, Others For Spreading Fake News –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by kayjay69(m): 8:07am On Mar 30, 2021
He is a fu_c_king joke. A walking cartoon.
Charmingrascal:
Mohammed argued that until the anti-competitive and monopolistic tendencies are expunged from the broadcast sector, Nigeria would not be able to grow local content.

But the mannequin is investing in UK's health system, how is he growing local content?
Imagine telling us that the President is going for medical check-up in London.
Which check dem no fit check am for Nigeria.

Yeye

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 30, 2021
This man is a fool, So because cnn fell your hand during end sarz u felt you could intimidate back by preventing nigerian companies from advertising on cnn.. You must be an idiotic old man

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:09am On Mar 30, 2021
Are we really a democracy?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SmartPolician: 8:10am On Mar 30, 2021
Sanchez01:

The amount of ignorance in this post alone is worth wearing like a cologne! Guinness is an Irish Company and it is brewed in well over 50 countries and sold in over 120 countries across the world. Guinness Nigeria is a subsidiary of Diageo Plc which has its HQ in the UK.

The shittery and Tomfoolery of Dangote does not concern me. How you intend to restrict a global brand such as Guinness, Coca Cola and Pepsi just because they sell in your country is the height of foolishness for me.

And no, the major market of Guinness is the United Kingdom. Nigeria comes second while Ireland, its origin comes third.

Again, I understand why y'all defend Buhari. I will too, if I reason like you.

You don't seem to understand the point.

Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop running ads on those networks. However, he pays they have to pay a sum for doing so.

Whether Guinness is a foreign company or not doesn't change anything. The laws in our country are so lenient that we are often taken for granted.

For instance, oil companies destroy lands and waters in the Niger Delta and get away with it.
But when BP did the same in the US (Deep Water Horizon), it attracted heavy penalties.

The point here is, being a multinational company does not change anything because the law didn't forbid them from advertising on those networks.
The government wants them to contribute to its local content industry whilst doing that.

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Jungleluv5: 8:13am On Mar 30, 2021
WETIN BE YOUR OWN NA
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:13am On Mar 30, 2021
This Buhari government na war. Nothing is easy. I can't wait for his death!
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:14am On Mar 30, 2021
tonididdy:
I doubt if Lai Mohamed said this, I have to watch this clip.
This is something I have always argued with friends about, so many ads esp 2019/2020 year clearly disregarded the Nigerian persons and environment in their ads. Utterly disrespectful.
I hope with this fine, they will do the right thing.
No more Messi and Ronaldo doing Pepsi ads, strictly local league players or Nigeriam themed ads for all multinational companies.
Guinness can no longer use Thierry Henry or the other manutd star....NO
Pessi using Messi and Ronaldo, are they supposed to use Terry g.

That advert is the global one that goes to all nations as the global market they operate

When it comes to sport almost every one can relate to Ronaldo and messi

Yet Pessi also has dj cuppy, wizkid when they are talking to a sub market like Nigeria

Same thing with Guinness

You people really need to get exposed no offense, if you still think Pessi, Guinness all end in Nigeria
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 30, 2021
Charmingrascal:
Mohammed argued that until the anti-competitive and monopolistic tendencies are expunged from the broadcast sector, Nigeria would not be able to grow local content.

But the mannequin is investing in UK's health system, how is he growing local content?
Imagine telling us that the President is going for medical check-up in London.
Which check dem no fit check am for Nigeria.

Yeye

If you watch NTA, you run the risk of becoming depressed. Dismal colour quality, archaic programming, abysmal performance by the presenters, terrible content. If you handle the deficits, you will gain viewership. The advert revenue will follow. ADVERTS ARE PLACED ON CHANNELS PEOPLE WATCH.
EVEN LAI MOHAMMED DOESN'T WATCH NTA.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SarkinYarki: 8:17am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. "The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.

I am a seasoned advertisers both ways , as in I advertise and I host adverts for brands ...trust me in advertising people only spend their advertising dollars where there are many eye balls to view them ..nobody will spend 500 thousand on Nigerian league if it will not convert to sales ... Advertising is not charity but pure business

3 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SmartPolician: 8:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Sorry to quote you again. The former adminstration you're referring to will be OBJ. But you'll be doing the man a huge disservice if you think it's just the law that led to our music industry booming.
The man actively supported, funded and encouraged the local artistes and entertainers. The artistes also did their jobs well by moving with trends and pushing out contents that youths easily could identify with.
You can't legislate preference. Rice is a candid example.
Even the epl which OBJ banned in the hope that it will encourage our youths to watch the local league, did it happen like that? Compare that with enyimba whom OUK actively supported. They became so popular in the East that at a point, they were making a decent profit.
You can't legislate economic and social preferences into existence. At least not in a free market. It's about going the whole hog.

If we make our environment business-friendly, this fine will mean nothing to companies making a lot of money in Nigeria. That's why I mentioned in the comment you quoted that they have to improve the system significantly. The same applies to the football example.

The truth is, our laws are so lenient, which makes many companies do crazy things and get away with it. For instance, oil companies destroy the Niger Deltan lands and water have become a mess. They even flare gas during exploration and production too. When BP experienced a blowout in the US (Deep Water Horizon), they paid heavy fines for years.

So, all we need is to keep improving the ease of doing business. The truth is, companies that make good money from a country wouldn't mind paying the fine (or whatever name this government calls it). They even pay more in other countries.

Remember, this law didn't stop them from advertising on those networks, it just says that they have to contribute to local content while doing so.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by litaninja(m): 8:22am On Mar 30, 2021
Lmao.
It has all gone to dogs at this point.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SmartPolician: 8:24am On Mar 30, 2021
SarkinYarki:

I am a seasoned advertisers both ways , as in I advertise and I host adverts for brands ...trust me in advertising people only spend their advertising dollars where there are many eye balls to view them ..nobody will spend 500 thousand on Nigerian league if it will not convert to sales ... Advertising is not charity but pure business

Funny, how do you track traditional advertising or viewship from a channel you cannot track the number of people watching?

You see, those companies do that to build credibility across the continent OR in the hopes of expanding into those (new) markets. You can only track digital marketing channels, you cannot track traditional marketing channels.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Aderupoko2: 8:25am On Mar 30, 2021
These people just want to run corporate organisations a ground.
Why can't I advertise where I have a comparative advantage.
This kind of reasoning deserves some strong strokes of cane.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SarkinYarki: 8:28am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

Funny, how do you track traditional advertising or viewship from a channel you cannot track the number of people watching?

You see, those companies do that to build credibility across the continent OR in the hopes of expanding into those (new) markets. You can only track digital marketing channels, you cannot track traditional marketing channels.

You can track digital TV stations viewership , there are a lot of software that do that but you can't really track conversions but you can notice it ....Before a brand goes to CNN they see the numbers CNN is delivering to their target audience

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

You don't seem to understand the point.

Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop running ads on those networks. However, he pays they have to pay a sum for doing so.

Whether Guinness is a foreign company or not doesn't change anything. The laws in our country are so lenient that we are often taken for granted.

For instance, oil companies destroy lands and waters in the Niger Delta and get away with it.
But when BP did the same in the US (Deep Water Horizon), it attracted heavy penalties.

The point here is, being a multinational company does not change anything because the law didn't forbid them from advertising on those networks.
The government wants them to contribute to its local content industry whilst doing that.
The point here is that the federal government doesn't really give a bleep about local content, they are just desperate to over milk every avenue just like stealing the little money the already multi taxed citizens place in the banks.

What have this government in particular contributed to the flourishing of these media, entertainment, sports industries that it wants to reap where it didn't sow.

What has this man done with the $500m he collected for Nta to be same par with cnn

If you are bringing fine because businesses are evading local content it simply because you have failed as a government to make your local content thrive

Business don't work on sentiment, quota system they put money into value delivered.

These thieves concern is about the fine, did you see where they outlined a policy to revive the local content as a matter of emergency?

In conclusion these companies would keep advertising the way they do because it makes business sense, the ones who can lobby would lobby out the fine, the ones who have no connection would pay and transfer the cost to the multi taxed user again

At the end it is the same dead government policies that is killing the nation and improvising the masses the more

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Perfectbeing(m): 8:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Nigerians would complain that the government doesn't invest in our Local league. Now that the government has found a way to invest, we still dey complain. May God epp us
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 30, 2021
Perfectbeing:
Nigerians would complain that the government doesn't invest in our Local league. Now that the government has found a way to invest, we still dey complain. May God epp us
My brother they are after fine they are not investing in local content

Did you ask Lai Mohamed what he did with the $500m he collected to improve the local content of NTA to CNN standard yet Nta can't compete with ait

When we say improve local content 80% of it has to do with allowing the talented people to work, a merit based system free from quota system

Trust me this is all you need, and investors would start picking it up from there

Go to NTA you would mistake it for a mosque, hijab is the requirements for a job, speaking Hausa is the requirements for promotion etc

The entertainment industry that Quota system didn't affect go and see how it is flourishing same with Tech startups

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Codes151(m): 8:37am On Mar 30, 2021
tonididdy:

100k for every time the ads are played in a game or a day... Learn to read and comprehend.
cow, read n talk sensibly.
everytime ads plays, 100k is small... isihie thats what i mean
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by uchennanwauzor: 8:41am On Mar 30, 2021
Anytime President Buhari travels out of the country for medical check he will pay N1.5M daily untill he returns. grin

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by bukatyne(f): 8:43am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

You let emotion becloud your sense of reasoning.... Who is buying Dangote cement in USA? As far as I am concerned, the major market of Guinness is Nigeria...

The major market of Guinness is Nigeria?

Shey you know that Guinness/Diageo is NOT a Nigerian brand?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Yankee101: 8:44am On Mar 30, 2021
Pulling laws out of his pocket anyhow
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by bukatyne(f): 8:46am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

You can buy and drink whatever claimed brand you like but the true remains that there is no glo, zenith bank and Dangote company in London... However, I dont support this present government but some things make Nigeria look stupid that I will never condone

Well with the way content creation & development has grown in Nigeria, I do not see why Nigerian owned businesses and foreign businesses who have some autonomy can't create advert content in Nigeria.

But again, the same government discouraging foreign adverts and content creation is going to UK for medical checkup.

This government ehn! They have guts!

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. "The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.

But did these companies stop advertising in your local contents?
This noise is a no-brainer, you cannot fine a company for advertising abroad.
They still run their adverts here in Nigeria
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 30, 2021
SarkinYarki:

You can track digital TV stations viewership , there are a lot of software that do that but you can't really track conversions but you can notice it ....Before a brand goes to CNN they see the numbers CNN is delivering to their target audience
I believe it's possible seeing that cables/satellites like DStv, gotv etc can actually have a data on the number of people watching certain channels and the frequency.

you can get a good data analysis if CNN can pile this from all its licensed third parties via regions
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by KINGKONG(m): 8:49am On Mar 30, 2021
Hotice085:
For once he is making sense

Which sense? If you own a company and wants to target good audience, which would you go for?

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Amhappy(f): 8:51am On Mar 30, 2021
I think this is a good step towards growing the Local content in media ,branding and advertisement. The adverts should be made in-country keeping the money in-country. However, I doubt if brands can be forced to promote the local league if the league remain unattractive. They may prefer to be associated with BBN, Nigeria Idol etc which are more popular with viewers. Companies are run to make profit.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by confyy007(m): 8:53am On Mar 30, 2021
This man is a fool
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Ezmans: 8:54am On Mar 30, 2021
classicben3:
grin grin grin grin
oga lie I hope buhari, aisha & you I'll not go for oversea medical treatment again after saying this on national tv
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SarkinYarki: 8:55am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
I believe it's possible seeing that cables/satellites like DStv, gotv etc can actually have a data on the number of people watching certain channels and the frequency.

you can get a good data analysis if CNN can pile this from all its licensed third parties via regions

Yes that's what I am saying , they all have the data and if you don't trust their data their are 3rd party firms with special softwares that can help you do this
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by ORIJIN201(m): 8:58am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

What I don't understand is that, their major market is in Nigeria but you are paying foreign media for ads... Dumbest thing to do.
who watches Nigerian league?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by olisaEze(m): 8:59am On Mar 30, 2021
All these pipo shouting that this policy makes sense, how many businesses have u pipo ever started?

Punishing businesses for ur inadequacies will only prove retrogressive for Nigerian businesses globally.

Don’t these people ever reason deep??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

You Rigged 2023 Election, Not Tinubu – Asari Dokubo Knocks Peter Obi / Okuama Massacre: The Untold Story / ASUU Rejects N600 Billion Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.