Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,589 members, 7,837,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine (37366 Views)

Peter Obi Live Interview On CNN (Video link and Picture) / Hushpuppi: Abba Kyari's Story On CNN / Lekki Shooting: Nigeria Will Never Spare CNN, Others For Spreading Fake News –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by sorepco(m): 9:02am On Mar 30, 2021
I never knew there shall be a time i will ever support something that comes from this man's mouth. When you do good by us we encourage u but when you go adtray we need to let u know. Kudos on this initiative.

classicben3:
grin grin grin grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

You let emotion becloud your sense of reasoning.... Who is buying Dangote cement in USA? As far as I am concerned, the major market of Guinness is Nigeria...
I used to think like this until i realized CNN is the largest cable news Network in the world.

They speak English the nigeria language, and they they deal on news and economy globally

As such you would find alot of Nigerians who are abroad tunning in to them both digitally and otherwise irrespective of their countries of stay

It is the best place for Dangote to advertise his cement where alot of these people would be embarking on building project back home

It is the best place for glo to advertise should these people visit Nigeria and need a Sim

Etc
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Urban9aira: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2021
those that read the headline alone are the one insulting..

not like Lai mohammed is a great guy, but this one make sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Sanchez01: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

You don't seem to understand the point.

Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop running ads on those networks. However, he pays they have to pay a sum for doing so.
Remove the "smart" from your name after today. CNN, BBC, etc, are all global news networks. The brands in question are global brands and I am not talking Globacom or Dangote. Just because they sell in your country does not make them subservient to you. They cater to over 120 countries whose citizens watch these news networks. What makes Nigeria special? Why would a global brand be asked to pay a useless government for advertising on a global platform? Is Guinness, Pepsi and Coca-Cola exclusive to Nigeria? Do they make their money from Nigeria alone? Have these brands been advertising on our local TV stations in the past? Don't they have our celebs as their brand ambassadors? Has any of these brands stopped funding community projects and CSRs in Nigeria? So why is Lai Mohammed acting like a racing, broke mad man? What's his purpose?

Whether Guinness is a foreign company or not doesn't change anything. The laws in our country are so lenient that we are often taken for granted.
Taken for granted by WHO? These companies have been in operations in Nigeria for over 50 years. Why is the narrative different with this APC government? If Lai Mohammed wants to go this route, his focus should solely be on Dangote, Globacom, Airtel (not Bharti Airtel), 9mobile,Innoson, et al. It is the height of madness to go after brands that are older than Nigeria and even the present government in the name of exclusive advertising. Why should a government be concerned about the advertising revenue of a brand when they not only cater to your people?

These same brands have their products destroyed in the North in the name of one hypocritical Shariah Law yet, they have never for once made a fuss. They have never had a reason to sue the country for the destruction of their properties and products, yet YOU WANT THEM TO ADVERTISE ON YOUR LOCAL TV STATIONS? LMAO!

Not to worry, they are one feet out already. Nigeria isn't their only market. We actually need their presence more than they do us.

For instance, oil companies destroy lands and waters in the Niger Delta and get away with it.
But when BP did the same in the US (Deep Water Horizon), it attracted heavy penalties.
You can't tell about the Niger Delta more than her son. Why oil companies get away with it is because the government allows them to. There is no direct correlation here, please.

The point here is, being a multinational company does not change anything because the law didn't forbid them from advertising on those networks.
The government wants them to contribute to its local content industry whilst doing that.
Kindly point out the law, one which wasn't formulated in this APC regime that clearly states that foreign brands must advertise in Nigeria. I am waiting, please.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Coldie(m): 9:11am On Mar 30, 2021
U want guilder to advertise on nta?

U self do u watch nta?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by nedekid: 9:16am On Mar 30, 2021
truthfulparrot:
This is what happens when you are a perpetual liar. Even when you are speaking the truth or making sense, nobody believe you. If only Lai Mohammed knows the huge damage he has done to himself and his family!
Look at the picture up there. When he twist his mouth, you know he is about to tear a lie.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by micxwell(m): 9:16am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

What I don't understand is that, their major market is in Nigeria but you are paying foreign media for ads... Dumbest thing to do.
Erm, when last did you watch NTA bro?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:18am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

If we make our environment business-friendly, this fine will mean nothing to companies making a lot of money in Nigeria. That's why I mentioned in the comment you quoted that they have to improve the system significantly. The same applies to the football example.

The truth is, our laws are so lenient, which makes many companies do crazy things and get away with it. For instance, oil companies destroy the Niger Deltan lands and water have become a mess. They even flare gas during exploration and production too. When BP experienced a blowout in the US (Deep Water Horizon), they paid heavy fines for years.

So, all we need is to keep improving the ease of doing business. The truth is, companies that make good money from a country wouldn't mind paying the fine (or whatever name this government calls it). They even pay more in other countries.

Remember, this law didn't stop them from advertising on those networks, it just says that they have to contribute to local content while doing so.

Well, I don't believe the law is practicable. It seems to me like playing to the gallery.
That said, Nigeria actually has a string of good laws. It's the implementation that's always the problem. Even in oil and gas which you touted.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by tonididdy(m): 9:18am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
Pessi using Messi and Ronaldo, are they supposed to use Terry g.

That advert is the global one that goes to all nations as the global market they operate

When it comes to sport almost every one can relate to Ronaldo and messi

Yet Pessi also has dj cuppy, wizkid when they are talking to a sub market like Nigeria

Same thing with Guinness

You people really need to get exposed no offense, if you still think Pessi, Guinness all end in Nigeria
You are the one who needs enlightenment.
Clearly I can't prove any point to you that will sink in your....
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Reference(m): 9:22am On Mar 30, 2021
Oga Lai your national soccer team played in neighboring Benin but you are your beloved NTA could not screen the match where you will have had your monopoly to exploit Guinness and other brands to your hearts delight to raise funds for your so called local content promotions.

You are indolent on what you control but want to reap where others sow. Typical of government. Government have been in control of the visual electronic mefia decades before digital sattelite tv entered Nigeria. And we had cable tv long before sattelite tv. Where was government all this while.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Jonegonu: 9:22am On Mar 30, 2021
SarkinYarki:
This is not how things work... People advertise where there is crowd ....Let lai Mohammed improve our league and get NIGERIANS to fill up stadium and see if Guinness will not advertise
Mohammed added that adverts promoting Nigerian brands must be directed and authored by Nigerians inside the country. What does this statement mean to some of you. Read carefully before you draw your conclusions.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Duplexxx: 9:23am On Mar 30, 2021
grin grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 30, 2021
Why is your president going to the UK for checkup when you have national hospital Abuja?
htdot:

What I don't understand is that, their major market is in Nigeria but you are paying foreign media for ads... Dumbest thing to do.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:26am On Mar 30, 2021
emmnprince:
Ok. We have heard you Mr. Mohammed.

You made some sense in this statement. However the Government need to walk the talk.

Let the Government encourage local content too by investing massively in the Nigerian League by packaging it in such a way that it will move crowd and viewers interest. Let the Government also enact laws to discourage and fine Nigerians, especially Government officials on medical tours. Grow the health, education, and other sectors of the economy.
you don't know much about our league.. Our league is not what you know them to be now.. Lots of change many things have improved
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Jonegonu: 9:26am On Mar 30, 2021
ITbomb:
This is what Atiku was talking about when he described Buhari's rule

Private businesses are not charity organisations, they put in money where they can make more money, it is after making profits that they now devote part of the profits to CSR

You can't go to a location to shot a video commercial without being bombarded with security concerns, multiple taxation, unreliable public power, inefficient transport system etc but government wants to force you to pay for their failure
Mohammed added that adverts promoting Nigerian brands must be directed and authored by Nigerians inside the country. What does this statement mean to some of you. Read carefully before you draw your conclusions.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by micxwell(m): 9:26am On Mar 30, 2021
Sanchez01:

Remove the "smart" from your name after today. CNN, BBC, etc, are all global news networks. The brands in question are global brands and I am not talking Globacom or Dangote. Just because they sell in your country does not make them subservient to you. They cater to over 120 countries whose citizens watch these news networks. What makes Nigeria special? Why would a global brand be asked to pay a useless government for advertising on a global platform? Is Guinness, Pepsi and Coca-Cola exclusive to Nigeria? Do they make their money from Nigeria alone? Have these brands been advertising on our local TV stations in the past? Don't they have our celebs as their brand ambassadors? Has any of these brands stopped funding community projects and CSRs in Nigeria? So why is Lai Mohammed acting like a racing, broke mad man? What's his purpose?

Taken for granted by WHO? These companies have been in operations in Nigeria for over 50 years. Why is the narrative different with this APC government? If Lai Mohammed wants to go this route, his focus should solely be on Dangote, Globacom, Airtel (not Bharti Airtel), 9mobile,Innoson, et al. It is the height of madness to go after brands that are older than Nigeria and even the present government in the name of exclusive advertising. Why should a government be concerned about the advertising revenue of a brand when they not only cater to your people?

These same brands have their products destroyed in the North in the name of one hypocritical Shariah Law yet, they have never for once made a fuss. They have never had a reason to sue the country for the destruction of their properties and products, yet YOU WANT THEM TO ADVERTISE ON YOUR LOCAL TV STATIONS? LMAO!

Not to worry, they are one feet out already. Nigeria isn't their only market. We actually need their presence more than they do us.

You can't tell about the Niger Delta more than her son. Why oil companies get away with it is because the government allows them to. There is no direct correlation here, please.

Kindly point out the law, one which wasn't formulated in this APC regime that clearly states that foreign brands must advertise in Nigeria. I am waiting, please.
So many salient questions in one post!
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Jonegonu: 9:28am On Mar 30, 2021
[quote author=AFONJAPIG post=100323395] yes we have a clueless manipulate ediot as president[/quoteMohammed added that adverts promoting Nigerian brands must be directed and authored by Nigerians inside the country. What does this statement mean to some of you. Read carefully before you draw your conclusions.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by COMPAQ(m): 9:28am On Mar 30, 2021
SarkinYarki:
This is not how things work... People advertise where there is crowd ....Let lai Mohammed improve our league and get NIGERIANS to fill up stadium and see if Guinness will not advertise

Are you minding him? Typical of Nigerian government putting the cart before the horse. What they are trying to do may sound patriotic, but it is also misplaced and shows a lack of understanding of the pay TV and advertising industry.

The problems with Nigeria are very clear, but instead of solving the real underlying issues, we continue to create policies that at best address the symptoms.

The process of fixing these things must start with a proper strategy and must be worked bottoms up, so that each successive stage has a solid base /foundation to stand on.

First get NFL to design a proper league with clear rules, structure, good pitches, security at stadiums, incorruptible referees etc and keep at it for some time with proper advertisement/marketing and fans will start to come back. This may take a while, but when it starts to work and fans show up, advertisers will take notice and other things fall into place.

What has Lai Mohamed's Ministry done to support capacity of Nigeria directors to shoot TV commercials. Do we have a proper hi-tech digital studio anywhere in Nigeria? Tinapa might have been it, but as is normal with government, we allowed it to die. Is it proven we have any director in Nigeria that specializes in quality commercials? Same thing he was trying to do with musicians shooting music videos in SA. Do we have many picturesque locations in Nigeria that one can safely visit? There are a few places one could go, but security is an issue moving filming crews up and down Nigeria.

Nigerian government should get it's act together first and then we will follow them.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:29am On Mar 30, 2021
witworth:
" you see that five times a day, it is on CNN, you pay half a million to us. The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund."
So if you see it 10 times it's 1 million to your pockets. Then keep watching CNN and monitoring people's ads, you're a viewing customer.

Lai is a frustrated fraudster, irrational and irrelevant miserable man.
I can see that you're pained... If those company advertise on channels, Ait or TVC is it bad? At least it will grow the country cos this companies will still be alive and healthy to pay its staff
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SarkinYarki: 9:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Jonegonu:

And who told you the ads are authored and directed outside the country? cheesy. See I have been in advertising for a long time and I know the process well, no Nigerian advert is authored outside this country , you can say some ad videos are shot outside but all that's changing and more are now shot here since we have better NIGERIAN directors .. we are not even talking not production here but advert delivery medium and trust me again brands will only put their money where the eye balls are
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Etfash(m): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2021
If we took time to digest the message and ignore the messenger, we will appreciate this move.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2021
emmy512:
back after many months.

question is is the ad just for Nigerians? cos I believe the target audience isn't just Nigerians.
Nigerians may as well not watch CNN then.

that's just me talking trash up there.
down here I've also thought of this and I believe despite my disregard for Lai, he has a strong point but the solutions he proffered aren't the way forward outright.

[b]most of this companies are global now so their target audience isn't just Nigeria. [/b]In business ads when you have captured your target audience you move on to the next while still maintaining a good relationship with the former.

what and who is the advert for in Nigeria again after years of monopolies enabled by the same government.

I'm fully in support of the idea that the ads should absolutely be made in Nigeria when it's for Nigerians and not importing RSA made ads into Nigeria's business markets.

so far this year I'm certain over 60% of ads I've seen this year have been made with Nigerians.

but you see the part where they want businesses to invest in local sport when they do foreign? I just laugh at that because the investment isn't an investment as thought but it's the business itself �.
we need investors to grow our local league
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 30, 2021
tonididdy:

You are the one who needs enlightenment.
Clearly I can't prove any point to you that will sink in your....
as we speak now your president is somewhere in UK wasting taxpayers money, reducing local content as leader of the country before the eyes of the world

But Heineken in the UK should leave it's quality filled nation as verified by your president and help boost your local content as "patriotic citizens" abi

Your president can not trust local content with his own life not even with his own money (Toyota, Benz over Innoson) but Heineken, Guinness etc should trust your local content with their money
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by double3(m): 9:32am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. "The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.
Don't forget most of theses companies are multinationals, so if sprite Canada does an avert on CNN sprite Nigeria would pay for it
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:33am On Mar 30, 2021
Trustedpronet:
How much has Nigeria government invested in local league in past 6years? Big brother naija dey collect 50million plus while a whole local fc club overral best goes home with 5million. Until you take your self serious that is when others will take you serious.
so is it the government that is paying those oloshos in BBN? If that devilish show don't have good investors do you think they could afford such a million?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by COMPAQ(m): 9:36am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

Your post suggests you don't know much about advertising.

Companies go to platforms where their target audience will SEE their products. It is well known that if Man U is playing Arsenal there will be no less than 2million EYES glued to DSTV in Nigeria, so companies take their adverts there.

Let NFL improve the league (which by the way is better than say 20 years ago, but still has along way to go), get it on TV with quality camera work, promote the league in multiple ways (not sure NFL has a proper website with facts, stats of the league etc UPDATE, just googled and they actually have a decent looking site) and they will get the results after 5-10years.

But as usual with Nigeria, no one wants to put in the work, but they want the same results as developed countries.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Misterone: 9:37am On Mar 30, 2021
bcomputer101:
What kind of stupid law is this?

After paying your TAX, you still want to tell me how to spend my money?

No no no. it doesn't work that way.
Stop threatening me.
are you making sense? something that will benefit the country you call it stupid! who is really stupid here?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:39am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
it won't work just like when he asked Nigeria musicians not to shoot their videos outside nigeria

This is an industry you didn't create, this is an industry that is privately run not by government.

The same rich goons that can advertise on CNN would flout it as usual

You can't tell the private sector how to advertise their goods, they go for quality marketing and products
read it carefully he is not stopping anyone from advertising he is only saying if you need to advertise on foreign media you should be ready to pay 100k fine per ads.. Now answer this question.. If you own a TV station/radio station and people refuse to advertise on your platform and this same people are advertising with millions of Naira overseas will you be happy? Knowing fully well that you will pay your staffs and maintain your firm.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by tonididdy(m): 9:39am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
as we speak now your president is somewhere in UK wasting taxpayers money, reducing local content as leader of the country before the eyes of the world

But Heineken in the UK should leave it's quality filled nation as verified by your president and help boost your local content as "patriotic citizens" abi

Your president can not trust local content with his own life but Heineken, Guinness etc should trust your local content with their money
Local content must be promoted regardless.
Yes we both know we are led by a sickler but that doesn't stop the rest of the enemy from growing.
What Lai Mohammed is simply saying is patronise Nigeria for Nigeria (is that too much to ask or Nigeria don't have fine models for Heineken adds?)
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 9:39am On Mar 30, 2021
Misterone:
are you making sense? something that will benefit the country you call it stupid! who is really stupid here?
that guy is an idiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Conspiracies Around Tinubu As D-day Nears, Supporters Fear Attack On Lagos / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Omoyele Sowore's New Bail Conditions / FG Grant Received (Picture Added)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.