Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine (37352 Views)

Peter Obi Live Interview On CNN (Video link and Picture) / Hushpuppi: Abba Kyari's Story On CNN / Lekki Shooting: Nigeria Will Never Spare CNN, Others For Spreading Fake News –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by VictorUSA(m): 10:37am On Mar 30, 2021
Any uniabuja student on this thread?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Fiscus105(m): 10:41am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
it won't work just like when he asked Nigeria musicians not to shoot their videos outside nigeria

This is an industry you didn't create, this is an industry that is privately run not by government.

The same rich goons that can advertise on CNN would flout it as usual

You can't tell the private sector how to advertise their goods, they go for quality marketing and products

If you can't tell the private sector how to run their product , at least the government will be able to tell to leave her own territory and go to the country of her choice to sell that product.

I don't knw if you leave in clan in Nigeria, if not you will knw that NUC govt parastatals is the one that's telling all private universities how to run their academic and SCHs
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by KRSWon: 10:46am On Mar 30, 2021
This reminds me of when Desmond Elliot wanted to ban foreign movies to boost Nollywood, with Nollywood's limited genres, plots/storylines and production values.

https://www.nairaland.com/5315189/desmond-elliot-calls-ban-foreign

https://www.nairaland.com/5315957/daddy-freeze-reacts-desmond-elliot

Personally, as a fan of science fiction movies and TV shows, this would have been dire.

Protectionism simply doesn't work, period.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Topmaike007(m): 10:46am On Mar 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Don't blame us for not associating with the league. It's filled with too much inanities.
Even you, if enyimba is playing Kano pillars same time Real Madrid is playing Bayern, which one you go watch
see mind game cheesy I go watch the two of them sha.. But na madrid own I go glue my face own cos of I bleed white grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by sorepco(m): 10:54am On Mar 30, 2021
The league cant improve with no finance nah! Before 1993 there was no premier league n the english game was not considered 1st 5 in the world.
As soon as corporate entities brought enough kudi and the name changed to The Premiere League, it moved in leaps and bounds to overtake the other leagues.

Today the team that is the last in the Premiere league gets money than the team that wins the European Champions League. In other words its the biggest in the world!

SarkinYarki:
This is not how things work... People advertise where there is crowd ....Let lai Mohammed improve our league and get NIGERIANS to fill up stadium and see if Guinness will not advertise
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Mummyfour(f): 10:55am On Mar 30, 2021
TemmyT002:
And it makes sense small ó. Just small sha.
But wait.
Shey Hisbah will not complain and spoil television if they see Guinness advert?
grin grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Perfectbeing(m): 10:55am On Mar 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

How is this white elephant law an investment?
You really think Guinness and pepsi will start using a nameless Kano pillars player to run ads? Did anyone make a law before they started using WizKid?
Have you ever heard of pepsi football academy
Well, let the company pay the "fines"
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Oppy2k2: 10:56am On Mar 30, 2021
So what fine are we going to impose on the Dullard for leaving Nigeria hospital to travel to London for treatment.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Bundaweber: 10:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Rugaria:
I support him on this one!
I actually think the charge should increase to 100k USD or above.

Some of those advertisements are so embarrassing and without any organized plan to achieve intended goals.
Some Nigerian banks pay millions for CNN adverts and then allow cnn to basically develope the content!
In the end what you have is a series of advertised programs that demarket the continent rather than promote..
Zeniths Bank "Inside Africa" is a very good example..

just like too dey advertise nin registration for cnn
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Perfectbeing(m): 10:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
My brother they are after fine they are not investing in local content

Did you ask Lai Mohamed what he did with the $500m he collected to improve the local content of NTA to CNN standard yet Nta can't compete with ait

When we say improve local content 80% of it has to do with allowing the talented people to work, a merit based system free from quota system

Trust me this is all you need, and investors would start picking it up from there

Go to NTA you would mistake it for a mosque, hijab is the requirements for a job, speaking Hausa is the requirements for promotion etc

The entertainment industry that Quota system didn't affect go and see how it is flourishing same with Tech startups
Let them collect the "fines"
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 30, 2021
Fiscus105:

If you can't tell the private sector how to run their product , at least the government will be able to tell to leave her own territory and go to the country of her choice to sell that product.

I don't knw if you leave in clan in Nigeria, if not you will knw that NUC govt parastatals is the one that's telling all private universities how to run their academic and SCHs
Nuc can only tell private university what to teach because it wants a uniform educational syllabus system for all citizens (why don't it tell covenant University how much to charge for school fees and to allow hijab)

Private sector is different especially when it comes to digital marketing, Lai can't tell any country investor not to do business in Nigeria if such country has not violated any treaty Nigeria is involved in

We are talking of digital marketing here (internet and TV marketing) which is spontaneous because the world has become a global village

Know this and know peace

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by RealEzee(m): 10:59am On Mar 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

I don't like Lai Mohammed for anything, but I think he has a point. If we must grow in this country, we must protect our own. This is a nice way of compelling these companies to produce their ads in Nigeria and help the local media and creative industry grow. Do you know how much Dangote, Zenith, glo and Access Bank spend to run ads and sponsor programmes on CNN?

Again, Lai Mohammed didn't ask them to stop advertising, however, he wants to encourage the local content development industry to grow. That's why he made it clear that the fines will go to local content development. "The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund.”

You see, Nigerian films are some of the most seen in Africa and elsewhere in the world because we like it. Nigerian music displaced American hip hop and R&B in Nigeria's clubs, parties and radio stations because the former administration enacted and implemented local content laws. Today, Nigerian music has grown to the level of winning Grammy awards.

My point is, we need to encourage local content development as a way of strengthening our country and creating jobs. However, other sectors have to follow suit, including the health and education sectors to end medical tourism and overseas education respectfully. While at it, they must improve our system significantly.
well let the govt make local content attractive for foreign investment, our peeps who are doing well is not because the govt is helping them but they themselves are resentless despite the harsh economic climate we are in, imagine a system like that in the states or other organizied western nations here Nigerians and I mean creative and hard working Nigerians will thrive beyond what we have now.

The govt have lost the trust of its people whom they are called to serve
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by SarkinYarki: 11:00am On Mar 30, 2021
sorepco:
The league cant improve with no finance nah! Before 1993 there was no premier league n the english game was not considered 1st 5 in the world.
As soon as corporate entities brought enough kudi and the name changed to The Premiere League, it moved in leaps and bounds to overtake the other leagues.

Today the team that is the last in the Premiere league gets money than the team that wins the European Champions League. In other words its the biggest in the world!

Then instead Lai Mohammed can get his rich billionaire friends to invest in the league as a business instead of all this
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Bundaweber: 11:02am On Mar 30, 2021
Laboni:
Why won't they pay foreign media for ads? How many people people watch our local TV stations? Why are people not watching local TV stations? Instead of them to improve our local TV stations to attract larger audience, they are chasing shadows. They knew that this multinationals will prefer to continue advertising with foreign media and pay the fine which the thieves in power will in turn loot... Local Content Fund my ass...

please learn to understand before you comment. eg close up ad that is produced is sa is showed on ITV a local channel. what their saying is that other companies should follow the footsteps of mtn, Glo and Airtel.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 30, 2021
edoairways:

Are you aware that the government restricted foreign music in Nigeria. Thanks to that policy, WizKid is gaining popularity. Are you also aware that the government insist that local stars be use for advertisement?
What ban on foreign music are you talking about.

You mean the ones we see on mtvbase, soundcity, hiptv that even have their special countdown sef

Is it policy that is making Wizkid,Davido,Burnaby what they are?

On the contrary these musicians have actually taken their music now to the international stage by featuring more foreign artists, doing more foreign tours, and more foreign videos

You are just talking opposite there is a thread now on FP or politics section where Davido is helping one foreign artist learn pidgin so she can reach Nigeria market even though her videos would still be made abroad
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by kolaaderin: 11:13am On Mar 30, 2021
Hotice085:
For once he is making sense
God bless you, but checking all the comments, Nigerians are just completely brainless. Laid Muhammed made a completely patriotic statement ignorant Nigerians are still wailing.
How do we survive all this wailing zombies on every important matters.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by edoairways: 11:19am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
What ban on foreign music are you talking about.

You mean the ones we see on mtvbase, soundcity, hiptv that even have their special countdown sef

Is it policy that is making Wizkid,Davido,Burnaby what they are?

On the contrary these musicians have actually taken their music now to the international stage by featuring more foreign artists, doing more foreign tours, and more foreign videos

You are just talking opposite there is a thread now on FP or politics section where Davido is helping one foreign artist learn pidgin so she can reach Nigeria market even though her videos would still be made abroad
The Nigerian Broadcasting corporation insist that local TV and radio plays 80% Nigeria and 20% foreign. This alone contributed to the growth of Nigerian entertainment. I doubt any artist can deny this assertion
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Bundaweber:

please learn to understand before you comment. eg close up ad that is produced is sa is showed on ITV a local channel. what their saying is that other companies should follow the footsteps of mtn, Glo and Airtel.
what you don't understand is digital marketing now is serious business

In digital marketing the world is a global village

You gravitate towards the places you think has the best quality and production to showcase your products

Frankly speaking content production varies, most of the content production by that MTN, Glo, Airtel you mentioned is usually the gbas gbos, gra gra type of setting

Compare them with the quality from close up, Guinness it more cerebral, artistic and meaningful

I am not condemning Nigeria culture of advertisement, but it all depends on the market you want to reach

Business knows no sentiment
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 30, 2021
edoairways:

The Nigerian Broadcasting corporation insist that local TV and radio plays 80% Nigeria and 20% foreign. This alone contributed to the growth of Nigerian entertainment. I doubt any artist can deny this assertion
You mean the same NBC that didn't have policy when 2face psquare, Africa chine etc took music from disc jockey to across Africa and beyond and subsequent musicians have been improving on it to global stage.

NBC policy is eye service, they just want to claim relevance

Most Nigerians prefer Local artists because that's what they can relate to even the Nigerians abroad

This is where the bulk market is and this is why the Music stations play it, and again these music stations collect money from marketing of new artists from Naija

Foreign artist can't pay Nigeria TV stations to promote their songs

NBC or no NBC doesn't stop the lovers of foreign music here from playing, downloading, watching the videos too
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:29am On Mar 30, 2021
Perfectbeing:
Well, let the company pay the "fines"
The minister lacks the capacity to make them pay the fines.
Except he has the keys to CBN, there's no way Guinness or pepsi will pay a fine to the ministry of information.
They are not under his supervision.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:30am On Mar 30, 2021
Topmaike007:
see mind game cheesy I go watch the two of them sha.. But na madrid own I go glue my face own cos of I bleed white grin

Toh.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:
You mean the same NBC that didn't have policy when 2face psquare, Africa chine etc took music from disc jockey to across Africa and beyond and subsequent musicians have been improving on it to global stage.

Most Nigerians prefer Local artists because that's what they can relate to even the Nigerians abroad

This is where the bulk market is and this is why the Music stations play it, and again these music stations collect money from marketing of new artists from Naija

NBC or no NBC doesn't stop the lovers of foreign music here from playing, downloading, watching the videos too
Thank you for educating him.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Omokowa(m): 11:32am On Mar 30, 2021
htdot:

What I don't understand is that, their major market is in Nigeria but you are paying foreign media for ads... Dumbest thing to do.

No no no, it is because we watch more of foreign programs than local programs. How to resolve this is to invest in our local programs that we attract the people of Nigeria. How can my advert be in Nigerian programs when even the people of Nigeria don't patronize it.

Our problem still lies in incompetence in the part of our leaders. What they should do in improving local contents than to fine companies trying to make money
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:34am On Mar 30, 2021
edoairways:

Lies. Show us the code. The sponsorships our artistes got from big companies and people like OBJ who patronised them is what led to what we have now not some silly code. How many Nigerians watch local TV or radio self. Of that number, how many buy albums, not the Aba made one o?
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:37am On Mar 30, 2021
Rugaria:
I support him on this one!
I actually think the charge should increase to 100k USD or above.

Some of those advertisements are so embarrassing and without any organized plan to achieve intended goals.
Some Nigerian banks pay millions for CNN adverts and then allow cnn to basically develope the content!
In the end what you have is a series of advertised programs that demarket the continent rather than promote..
Zeniths Bank "Inside Africa" is a very good example..
Inside Africa is a programme not an ad
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by edoairways: 11:39am On Mar 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Lies. Show us the code. The sponsorships our artistes got from big companies and people like OBJ who patronised them is what led to what we have now not some silly code. How many Nigerians watch local TV or radio self. Of that number, how many buy albums, not the Aba made one o?
It seems you are kid who didn't understand the evolution of broadcasting in Nigeria. Go ask your TV stations why they rarely show foreign movies or music. Ask yourself this question why sound city and the rest broadcast more of Nigerian songs. Find out from Ait, TVC and the rest why they dare not show foreign entertainment during peak periods. And yes there are many Nigerians that still watch local TV or listen to local radio stations.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:40am On Mar 30, 2021
Perfectbeing:
Let them collect the "fines"
I thought he said he'll punish CNN for running that Endsars documentary. Where is the punishment. He hasn't sanctioned, suspended or fined them.
Most of Buhari's ministers are actually clueless about what their position is.
Just same way Pantami ordered telcos to reduce their data price when he came in. Funny enough, no one knows where that ended. grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by edoairways: 11:42am On Mar 30, 2021
Mikecold:

Most Nigerians preferred local artist because NBC did a great job. This same reason why there is a fight between some Camorounian artist and Nigerians on social media.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:47am On Mar 30, 2021
edoairways:

It seems you are kid who didn't understand the evolution of broadcasting in Nigeria. Go ask your TV stations why they rarely show foreign movies or music. Ask yourself this question why sound city and the rest broadcast more of Nigerian songs. Find out from Ait, TVC and the rest why they dare not show foreign entertainment during peak periods. And yes there are many Nigerians that still watch local TV or listen to local radio stations.
Lol. What foreign entertainment are you talking about? Do you watch AIT at all? AIT shows a lot of South African and Mexican shows. ARISE TV have about three programmes dedicated to US news and current affairs.
TVC and channels basically project themselves as Nigerian news stations just like SABC and that Ghana TV.
As for foreign music, hiptv etc actually do play foreign music. It's funny. Supersport have channels wholly dedicated to foreign leagues. Same with mnet. I hope you know supersport actually operates like a local station. Or is it not same NBC that licensed AIT that licensed supersport?
If there was any such law, you definitely won't be watching supersport or mnet.
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by edoairways: 11:50am On Mar 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Lol. What foreign entertainment are you talking about? Do you watch AIT at all? AIT shows a lot of South African and Mexican shows. ARISE TV have about three programmes dedicated to US news and current affairs.
TVC and channels basically project themselves as Nigerian news stations just like SABC and that Ghana TV.
As for foreign music, hiptv etc actually do play foreign music. It's funny. Supersport have channels wholly dedicated to foreign leagues. Same with mnet. I hope you know supersport actually operates like a local station. Or is it not same NBC that licensed AIT that licensed supersport?
If there was any such law, you definitely won't be watching supersport or mnet.
You didn't deny the fact that they rarely show foreign content. They restrict the number of foreign content on their platform
Re: Lai Mohammed: Brands Running Adverts On CNN, Others To Pay ₦100,000 Fine by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:53am On Mar 30, 2021
edoairways:

You didn't deny the fact that they rarely show foreign content. They restrict the number of foreign content on their platform
And you think it's due to a code?
So what about supersport and mnet?
How come they are available in Nigeria and have strictly foreign content?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Okuama Massacre: The Untold Story / Murray-bruce Reacts To Oyegun's Comment On Supreme Court Judges (snap Shot) / Jonathan Probe: $12 Billion Traced To USA, $3 Billion Loot Hidden In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.