Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man (19093 Views)

I Read This Post And I Feel Ashamed Of My Country...... No Unity And Love Again! / If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by soloqy: 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2011
^^^^^^

Dude, you shouldnt have done that. Some people are intolerant and totally not trust worthy . You dont have to go to this extent to prove yourself. You dont need to prove anything. I advise you remove that.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 5:21pm On Apr 20, 2011
All will be well.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 5:26pm On Apr 20, 2011
My asss maybe be dumb but I am not a dumb asss. You shud have allow the dude go on a wild goose chase.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 20, 2011
This is the only positive from this riots. In Bauchi, Gombe and Kano the youths knew what they were doing and they were not attacking innocents. they had an objective and they executed it.- LAGOSBOY

@ LAGOSBOY: DID YOU FELL AND BUMP YOUR HEAD ON A ROCK?  THOSE BASTARDS SLICED MY FRIEND'S THROAT AND SET HIM ABLAZE, HE WAS NOT A POLITICIAN, HE MADE 9750 A MONTH TO SERVE THIS PATHETIC UNION WE HAVE WITH THESE GOD FORSAKEN NORMADS, HE WAS A GOOD LAD ABOUT TO PASS OUT FROM NYSC, AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THEY WERE NOT ATTACKING INNOCENTS?, THE CHURCHES THAT THEY BURNT, DID IT HAVE ANY LOGO OF RED, GREEN AND WHITE UMBRELLA OR WAS THERE A BANNER SAYING ANTI BUHARI IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH?

@ POSTER
YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF BECAUSE IT WILL NOT EVEN BEGIN TO QUANTIFY THE TYPE OF PEOPLE YOU AND YOUR TRIBE ARE.
YOU SHOULD JUMP OFF THE ROOF OF A HIGH RISING AND SLICE YOUR THROAT WHILE YOU ARE ARE IT, I CANT BELIEVE I CALL MY SELF A NIGERIAN WHEN THERE ARE ANIMAL LIKE CREATURES LIKE YOU CLAIMING THE SAME THING angry
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by MeAboki(m): 5:46pm On Apr 20, 2011
Princek12:

Me_Aboki,

If you are a truly dignified and forthright person, you should be willing to repudiate any wrongdoing, even if that wrongdoing was perpetrated by members of your tribe. That is why to move forward.

I have not coined the definition of illiteracy. You are just willing to accept your own definition. Not being able to read and write is just one of the definitions of illiteracy. See the definition below from dictionary.com
il·lit·er·ate   
[ih-lit-er-it]  Show IPA
–adjective
unable to read and write: an illiterate group.
having or demonstrating very little or no education.
showing lack of culture, especially in language and literature.
displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field: He is musically illiterate.
–noun

Those almajiri youth clearly fall within definition number 2 because they have little or no education.

Also, in Nigeria not being able to speak, write, or understand English is indicative of illiteracy. Most, if not all, of the instructional materials used in schools are written in English, barring language classes, so it only follows that the inability of a significant number of people in the north to speak, read, or write in English is indicative of their having little or no education.

Under the guise of religion, northern leaders have deprived too many northern youths of education so that they can oppress them and subordinate them to their command, making them vulnerable to thuggery. Instead of you to condemn these practice, you appear to justify it.

My governor, Gov. Fashola, has definitely transformed my state, as Gov. Fashola has clearly set a standard by which all other governors are being judged. So, yes, the Gov. of my state is definitely doing a whole lot given the circumstances.

And corruption is not the singular issue that is facing Nigeria; corruption is just one of the issues. According to you, electing a honest, illiterate who has no clue about how to rule a country will singularly solve Nigeria's problem. That is simplistic reasoning at best. Nigeria's problems are corruption, power, infrastructure, etc. Corruption is just one of the problems, but not the sole problem. Buhari campaigned primarily as an anti-corruption champion without offering any reasonable plans, in my view, to create a sustainable Nigeria, especially in creating a power sector devoid of government control. There are several countries with leaders arguably more corrupt than Nigeria, but these countries have at least stable electricity, decent infrastructure, etc. For example, among others, you have Mubarak of Egypt, Ghadaffi of Libya, Hugo Chavez of Venezuala. In all these countries, you at least have stable power and a decent infrastructure.

Besides  the corruption issue, Nigeria has had a history of electing illiterate Northerners to power, all of which who not only lack the know-how to create an advanced society, but who also put religion ahead of individual rights.

I hope that a law is created that requires children to have a basic education, and they can learn their religion in conjunction with the basic education. All those almajiri schools, in which only the Quran is thought, should be abolished. The constitutional should be amended to remove the provision of Sharia courts, as it allows a government to establish and support a religion over all other religions. The Nigerian Constitution should focus on protecting the fundamental rights of individual Nigerians, not the collective rights of a religious group. Equal treatment for everyone under the law.

It is a shame that while the Mideast is going through a revolution and fighting for freedom, northern Nigeria is retrogressing by embracing a culture that deprives people of freedom. They are embracing the culture that is being rejected by the Middle Easterners themselves.

Please show me where I condoned or justified the violence in any of my posts.

However, I do recall having considered offering an apology to NLders for the action of my people, but thought otherwise because I deemed majority of the respondents unreasonable considering the level of insults and bigotry displayed.

You continue to 'fall my hand'.
Just after referring to the various definition of illiteracy, as you rightly pointed out, you still retrogressed back against your definition (no2) by still maintaining that those Almajiris had no education - as to say Islam/Quaranic education is not a form of education in its own right.

Are you by any chance suggesting that those boys are not taught how to read and write, and because they are taught in Arabic, hence they are illiterate?
You even went on to confirm that assumption by suggesting that anybody in Nigeria that cannot communicate in English should be considered illiterate.

Well, holy Moses! just how daft can you be? So a French man in Nigeria who cannot read or write in English, though literate in his or other language, by your definition should be considered illiterate.
You seem to confuse English as language and education as a formal process of acquiring Knowledge; while assuming Western education is the only existing form of education.
My friend, you strike me as someone who is educated but seemingly incapable of mental dexterity and logical reasoning; in fact somebody good at memorising and used to solving problems from memorised formulae, but easily unstuck should the same problem reappear in a slightly different form because of a rigid mindset - for goodness sake, please get a grip.  

I concede to you that those Almajiris and a significant number of my people do not have Western education but they are by no means a bunch of illiterates.
In fact when your forefathers were still in the jungle unable read or write mine could, in Arabic/Hausa transliteration using Arabic symbols (the first written indigenous language in Nigeria/West Africa) - the main reason for Arabic writing in our currency and military insignia (http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa104.htm)

BTW, name any among the past Northern leaders who according to above definitions could be deemed illiterate.

Yes, Nigeria's problem is a simplistic one (tell me why it has to be complicated); you mentioned power and infrastructure, I say to you remove corruption and we will have all of that and more - how else has money earmarked for them found its way into personal bank accounts and lining pockets?

You mentioned Sharia, so how has Sharia deprived you of your fundamental human rights?
Last time I checked, I believe the Nigerian constitution guarantees every citizen freedom of religion. Muslims are guided by Islamic law of which Sharia is a fundamental part of their belief system as defined by their religion.

Are you therefore suggesting that Muslims in Nigeria should be deprived of their right to fully practice their religion, simply because you disapprove and  because it is not your faith? shocked
In other words, Muslims should be suppressed; well hell no, thank you sir - not even Jonathan can take that right away.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by JaaizTech: 5:49pm On Apr 20, 2011
ARES:

This is the only positive from this riots. In Bauchi, Gombe and Kano the youths knew what they were doing and they were not attacking innocents. they had an objective and they executed it.- LAGOSBOY

@ LAGOSBOY: DID YOU FELL AND BUMP YOUR HEAD ON A ROCK?  THOSE BASTARDS SLICED MY FRIEND'S THROAT AND SET HIM ABLAZE,  HE WAS NOT A POLITICIAN, HE MADE 9750 A MONTH TO SERVE THIS PATHETIC UNION WE HAVE WITH THESE GOD FORSAKEN NORMADS, HE WAS A GOOD LAD ABOUT TO PASS OUT FROM NYSC,  AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THEY WERE NOT ATTACKING INNOCENTS?,  THE CHURCHES THAT THEY BURNT, DID IT HAVE ANY LOGO OF RED, GREEN AND WHITE UMBRELLA OR WAS THERE A BANNER SAYING ANTI BUHARI IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH?

@ POSTER
YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF BECAUSE IT WILL NOT EVEN BEGIN TO QUANTIFY THE TYPE OF PEOPLE YOU AND YOUR TRIBE ARE.
YOU SHOULD JUMP OFF THE ROOF OF A HIGH RISING AND SLICE YOUR THROAT WHILE YOU ARE ARE IT,  I CANT BELIEVE I CALL MY SELF A NIGERIAN WHEN THERE ARE ANIMAL LIKE CREATURES LIKE YOU CLAIMING THE SAME THING angry

I understand how you feel, and you have every right to feel the way you do. I can't even find words to pacify you. Casualties of this stupidity is unquantifiable. And believe me it is on both sides; even though we can't remove the fact that the Hausa's started it, the casualities on both sides were huge. It was a race between who would kill more and wreck more havoc than the other. Speaking from Kaduna experience. But Please I am calling out to everyone, to please be mindful of their words for the interest of those of us living in the North, pls. lets keep inflammatory comments away because they will do know good. It is time to start healing and reconciling. We here are all doing what we can to conceal the enormity of casuality on both sides, because if either side gets to think that they suffered more than the other, the crisis will start again.This is Kaduna for you.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Apr 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@kobojunkie, I'd agree with that statement provided the uneducated in question is limited to roadside vendors, traders, and the employed among them.

They indeed listen to BBC and other international news, religiously.
Most of the unemployed among them get their news from Imams or the streets, if they are not moslems.

From your assessment, would you say that the traders, roadside vendors, and the employed make up the majority of the uneducated? It has been my assumption for a while now that the problem up North is not necessarily a lack of education-- but lack of adequate communication channels actually reaching the uneducated, poor and disenfranchised in the North(Not that this is in anyway unique to the North). So when I read someone claim that the average uneducated Northerner(following the stats available, this group comprises majorly of the unemployed and impoverished population) it got me wondering if it is the case that the people do not want the information Channels like BBC, Radio France, VON etc. have embarked on providing them.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Apr 20, 2011
13volts:

@ kobojunkie
I now fully comprehend your questions and here is my answers.
It is an undeniable fact that 70% of hausas listen to more than 3 international radio stations 3 times a day. But the problem here is that most of the stations devotes most of their airtime to current affairs and little or no documentary program. Given if I for instance listen to VOA and BBC hausa service I only get informed of the latest sucide bomb blast in Iraq, an earthquake in Japan, drug violence in Mexico and the local news in Nigeria. If you constantly get these feeds on a daily basis it will not in any way Make you more educated or tolerant.

I have not, to this point, considered that people who receive news feeds from international sources automatically get educated. No, definitely, I would expect they would be more informed on international issues, but educated, not sure. However, much of the information from many of these stations, have in the last 5 years deviated from the overwhelming news feeds to more practical and informative feeds to help the people in these areas. Millions of dollars are invested yearly into programs that are geared towards better informing local communities in the areas where these feeds are received, and the information broadcasted is much more than simply news.

Now to your 70% claim, I don't think that lines up with reality at all.  I think I have given some good examples as to why I would doubt such a claim. Plus, given the statistics available from various orgs, I would not go with that assumption.

13volts:

The only advantage is that you are up to date with the latest international event. However, of recent the BBC have taken the lead in introducing programs that enlightened the listener and educational in content. Issues such as HIV, hygiene,family issues, gender equality, polio ad a host of other social issues are discussed, and in most cases presented in form of drama. This new trend started with the BBC and othe

These programs you speak of have been available not less than 5 years now. I believe many of them actually started broadcasting these feeds that address issues as far back as the early 2000s. It is no new trend at all, and is part of the reason why I ask how persons who are exposed to so much information as you claim, for that long, still remain can still remain largely uninformed.

As I posited earlier, education is simply a processs of bombarding people with information, sometimes with information necessary for their own living. I did not say, and do not believe that the only way you can get an education is when you show up at the four walls of a school or college. In this case, we at least agree that your statement implies that information is there and available to the majority at least 3 times a day. What I am trying to understand then, going by your postulation, is why there is still a disconnect -- a huge one which much of the rest of the country notices.

P.S This is not just on politics, but information in general!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by JaaizTech: 6:12pm On Apr 20, 2011
Me_Aboki:

However, I do recall having considered offering an apology to NLders for the action of my people, but thought otherwise because I deemed majority of the respondents unreasonable considering the level of insults and bigotry displayed.

Just after referring to the various definition of illiteracy, as you rightly pointed out, you still retrogressed back against your definition (no2) by still maintaining that those Almajiris had no education - as to say Islam/Quaranic education is not a form of education in its own right.

Are you by any chance suggesting that those boys are not taught how to read and write, and because they are taught in Arabic, hence they are illiterate?
You even went on to confirm that assumption by suggesting that anybody in Nigeria that cannot communicate in English should be considered illiterate.

Well, holy Moses! just how daft can you be? So a French man in Nigeria who cannot read or write in English, though literate in his or other language, by your definition should be considered illiterate.
You seem to confuse English as language and education as a formal process of acquiring Knowledge; while assuming Western education is the only existing form of education.
My friend, you strike me as someone who is educated but seemingly incapable of mental dexterity and logical reasoning; in fact somebody good at memorising and used to solving problems from memorised formulae, but easily unstuck should the same problem reappear in a slightly different form because of a rigid mindset - for goodness sake, please get a grip.  

I concede to you that those Almajiris and a significant number of my people do not have Western education but they are by no means a bunch of illiterates.
In fact when your forefathers were still in the jungle unable read or write mine could, in Arabic/Hausa transliteration using Arabic symbols (the first written indigenous language in Nigeria/West Africa) - the main reason for Arabic writing in our currency and military insignia (http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa104.htm)

BTW, name any among the past Northern leaders who according to above definitions could be deemed illiterate.

Yes, Nigeria's problem is a simplistic one (tell me why it has to be complicated); you mentioned power and infrastructure, I say to you remove corruption and we will have all of that and more - how else has money earmarked for them found its way into personal bank accounts and lining pockets?

You mentioned Sharia, so how has Sharia deprived you of your fundamental human rights?
Last time I checked, I believe the Nigerian constitution guarantees every citizen freedom of religion. Muslims are guided by Islamic law of which Sharia is a fundamental part of their belief system as defined by their religion.

Are you therefore suggesting that Muslims in Nigeria should be deprived of their right to fully practice their religion, simply because you disapprove and  because it is not your faith? shocked
In other words, Muslims should be supp ressed; well hell no, thank you sir - not even Jonathan can take that right away.
@Aboki, in as much you have some points, I don't think this is the moment for us to defend ourselves.You should have offered the apology. Really what do you expect the southerners to think, we had an history of violence and instead of trying to prove our critics wrong we are confirming their theories. Just because we lost an election either by rigging or not is not enough excuse for what happened.We should channel our energy towards condemning this act instead of trying to explain it, and we should also be ready to receive the bashing from xtians/Southerners, because we brought it upon ourselves.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Sagamite(m): 6:12pm On Apr 20, 2011
Me_Aboki:

Are you by any chance saying the Almajiris we have in the streets of the North are educated?

Me_Aboki:

In other words, Muslims should be suppressed; well hell no, thank you sir - not even Jonathan can take that right away.

Are you by any chance saying that I am free to pop a bottle of beer in any part of the North without harassment or harm by government officials or miscreants.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2011
Haven't you heard of respect for local culture / religion. Didn't you notice any time Hillary Clinton visits any muslin place she always wear a headgear not because she was forced to do so but as a sign of respect for the host community. You can pop your championships indoors or within your own domain where such acts are tolerated.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 6:46pm On Apr 20, 2011
Even with level of tolerance in the south there are certain acts you dare not display. A gay couple will not dare display their homosexuality in public like a park or beach.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Sagamite(m): 6:48pm On Apr 20, 2011
13volts:

Even with level of tolerance in the south there are certain acts you dare not display. A gay couple will not dare display their homosexuality in public like a park or beach.

This is a lame point!

Homosexuality is against the national law.

13volts:

Haven't you heard of respect for local culture / religion. Didn't you notice any time Hillary Clinton visits any muslin place she always wear a headgear not because she was forced to do so but as a sign of respect for the host community. You can pop your championships indoors or within your own domain where such acts are tolerated.

So you agree that the Sharia does affect me and deprives me of the fundamental rights the national constitution guarantees me?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2011
@sagamite.
The concept of human rights in relation to local cultures / values is complex. Take another example adultery is not a crime in the criminal code but you know the consequences in our local settings.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Odunnu: 6:59pm On Apr 20, 2011
Haba 13volt, you are spicing things up now.
The north actually exhibit more homosexual relationships. Its only in the north i've seen Dan daudus(homosexuals) stand in dark alleys and streets like female p.r0stitutes.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2011
^^^^^^^ @ 13VOLTS.
CAN YOU JUST BE A CORPER AND WALK AROUND WHEN A NORTHERNER LOSES AN ELECTION AND NOT HAVE YOUR THROAT SLIT?,
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Sagamite(m): 7:05pm On Apr 20, 2011
13volts:

@sagamite.
The concept of human rights in relation to local cultures / values is complex. Take another example adultery is not a crime in the criminal code but you know the consequences in our local settings.

No, human rights is not complex. Your example is lame. Try again.

What is the consequence of adultery in our local setting?

It is best you stop now. Don't try and bullshyt me. You will not get far. I am that good.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by bagaha: 7:07pm On Apr 20, 2011
13volts:
@bahaga
I came to nairaland years before you knew how to operate a keyboard. Want to find out if am a hausaman meet me at bakin kasuwa, kusa da gidan mallam tijjani, kila town gwaram LGA jigawa state. Or izala mosque gida dubu junction dutse jigawa. Just ask for goje or baban yasira then me and you will see you is a real hausaman.
Coming to Nl earlier is nt a sign of truth. U demonstrate ur pride nd ignorance- how do u kno
Wen i become computer litrate? Since am very familiar wit the area u claim to hails from i will try to prove it. In order to allow u to display much of ur ignorance, i will not disclose my full identity but it suffice u to kno i was a school teacher at GGC kachako bw 95-97. Expect my full after i have trace ur claim
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by nduchucks: 12:01am On Apr 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

From your assessment, would you say that the traders, roadside vendors, and the employed make up the majority of the uneducated? It has been my assumption for a while now that the problem up North is not necessarily a lack of education-- but lack of adequate communication channels actually reaching the uneducated, poor and disenfranchised in the North(Not that this is in anyway unique to the North). So when I read someone claim that the average uneducated Northerner(following the stats available, this group comprises majorly of the unemployed and impoverished population) it got me wondering if it is the case that the people do not want the information Channels like BBC, Radio France, VON etc. have embarked on providing them.

I believe the answer to your question in bolded text above is no, they are a substantial minority of the uneducated.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by FILEBE(m): 12:16am On Apr 21, 2011
Odunnu:

The north actually exhibit more homosexual relationships. Its only in the north i've seen Dan daudus(homosexuals) stand in dark alleys and streets like female p.r0stitutes.

Odunnu! Ar u serious? Mehn, dat sulks! Mayb u shuld tell us d state too.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 12:16am On Apr 21, 2011
Me_Aboki:

You must be in dreamland for alleging that studying Quranic/Islamic education by itself is a form of basic education. I never said that Quranic education is not a form of education, but that Quranic education should be thought in conjunction with other education such as physics, chemistry, geography, world history, etc.  Just teaching children Quranic education by itself, as it is done in Almajiri schools, is not a basic education, and is responsible for the benighted children who hail from the north. They know nothing but the Quran. What happened to balance for God sake?

When my forefathers were in the jungle, they were educated when compared to the standards of that time. Are you now saying that in today's world, applying today's standards, that an Almajiri education is sufficient to qualify as a basic education? You are right.

The Constitution does guarantee you to practice your religion, and I never said that Muslims should be disallowed from practicing their religion. What I said is that a Constitution should not support one religion over the other. So should the Constitution be amended to make Christian courts, Traditional religion courts, Sango courts, Obatala courts, Ifa courts, Hindu courts, Scientology courts, and all the other courts concerning other religions? Won't that resort to a chaotic society?

And you forget that Muslims live in other states in Nigeria that have not adopted Sharia law. Are you saying those states are denying the Muslims within their borders their fundamental right to practice their religion. What about the provisions in Sharia law that violates the fundamental rights that the Constitution guarantees. For example, Sharia law violates your fundamental right to defend yourself in a criminal trial, as a Muslim cannot call a non-Muslim to testify in a criminal trial.

What about the Sharia law provision that violates a woman's fundamental right to marry whomever she wants to. Sharia law forbids a Muslim woman from marrying a non-Muslim, but a man who is a Muslim can marry whomever.

What about the Constitutional ban on cruel an unusual punishment? Sharia law provides that your hand be chopped off for, say, stealing a cow. That is insane. Then all those people whose hands are chopped off for stealing cows can no longer fend for themselves and have to resort to begging. Many of those beggars flee the north because of the stigma associated with stealing and come to Lagos to come and beg. What kind of society is that?

According to you, having Sharia law is inextricably intertwined with practicing Islam, and Muslims in, for example, the South are denied their fundamental right to practice their religion because the southern states have not adopted Sharia law. Further, according to you, Muslims in, say,  America are denied their right to practice their religion because the United States has not adopted Sharia.

A French man who cannot read English is not an illiterate because instructional materials used in schools in French-speaking countries are written in French. In Nigeria the instructional materials, such as books, used in Nigerian schools are printed in English. So what I said that your inability to read or write English, as it pertains to Nigeria, is indicative of illiteracy. This is common sense. What don't you get.

And what's up with tagging nursery, primary, and secondary school Western education? Why not call it knowledge. The last time I checked most of discoveries in text books do not only come from the West. There were many philosophers from Egypt, Africa, Asia, etc. So calling the knowledge acquired from school "western education" is a way to discourage the very vulnerable Muslim children in the North from going to school. And it is a way of keeping them down from acquiring a broad knowledge, not just learning the Quran in Almajiri schools.

So what is your point? That the Almajiri schools should not be abolished? That a law requiring every child to attend a regular, not Almajiri school, should not be passed?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 12:17am On Apr 21, 2011
Me_Aboki:

You must be in dreamland for alleging that studying Quranic/Islamic education by itself is a form of basic education. I never said that Quranic education is not a form of education, but that Quranic education should be thought in conjunction with other education such as physics, chemistry, geography, world history, etc.  Just teaching children Quranic education by itself, as it is done in Almajiri schools, is not a basic education, and is responsible for the benighted children who hail from the north. They know nothing but the Quran. What happened to balance for God sake?

When my forefathers were in the jungle, they were educated when compared to the standards of that time. Are you now saying that in today's world, applying today's standards, that an Almajiri education is sufficient to qualify as a basic education? You are right.

The Constitution does guarantee you to practice your religion, and I never said that Muslims should be disallowed from practicing their religion. What I said is that a Constitution should not support one religion over the other. So should the Constitution be amended to make Christian courts, Traditional religion courts, Sango courts, Obatala courts, Ifa courts, Hindu courts, Scientology courts, and all the other courts concerning other religions? Won't that resort to a chaotic society?

And you forget that Muslims live in other states in Nigeria that have not adopted Sharia law. Are you saying those states are denying the Muslims within their borders their fundamental right to practice their religion. What about the provisions in Sharia law that violates the fundamental rights that the Constitution guarantees. For example, Sharia law violates your fundamental right to defend yourself in a criminal trial, as a Muslim cannot call a non-Muslim to testify in a criminal trial.

What about the Sharia law provision that violates a woman's fundamental right to marry whomever she wants to. Sharia law forbids a Muslim woman from marrying a non-Muslim, but a man who is a Muslim can marry whomever.

What about the Constitutional ban on cruel an unusual punishment? Sharia law provides that your hand be chopped off for, say, stealing a cow. That is insane. Then all those people whose hands are chopped off for stealing cows can no longer fend for themselves and have to resort to begging. Many of those beggars flee the north because of the stigma associated with stealing and come to Lagos to come and beg. What kind of society is that?

According to you, having Sharia law is inextricably intertwined with practicing Islam, and Muslims in, for example, the South are denied their fundamental right to practice their religion because the southern states have not adopted Sharia law. Further, according to you, Muslims in, say,  America are denied their right to practice their religion because the United States has not adopted Sharia.

A French man who cannot read English is not an illiterate because instructional materials used in schools in French-speaking countries are written in French. In Nigeria the instructional materials, such as books, used in Nigerian schools are printed in English. So what I said that your inability to read or write English, as it pertains to Nigeria, is indicative of illiteracy. This is common sense. What don't you get.

And what's up with tagging nursery, primary, and secondary school Western education? Why not call it knowledge. The last time I checked most of discoveries in text books do not only come from the West. There were many philosophers from Egypt, Africa, Asia, etc. So calling the knowledge acquired from school "western education" is a way to discourage the very vulnerable Muslim children in the North from going to school. And it is a way of keeping them down from acquiring a broad knowledge, not just learning the Quran in Almajiri schools.

So what is your point? That the Almajiri schools should not be abolished? That a law requiring every child to attend a regular, not Almajiri school, should not be passed?

I also see how you are so quick to claim the Constitutional protection of the freedom to practice your religion. What about the other freedoms in the Constitution that Sharia law violates? Are we supposed to ignore those freedoms?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by FILEBE(m): 12:18am On Apr 21, 2011
Odunnu:

Odunnu! Ar u serious? Mehn, dat sulks! Mayb u shuld tell us d state too.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by CrudeOil2(m): 12:26am On Apr 21, 2011
OP, take the advise of ARES. You can end your misery that way.
ARES:

@ POSTER
YOU SHOULD JUMP OFF THE ROOF OF A HIGH RISING AND SLICE YOUR THROAT WHILE YOU ARE ARE IT, I CANT BELIEVE I CALL MY SELF A NIGERIAN WHEN THERE ARE ANIMAL LIKE CREATURES LIKE YOU CLAIMING THE SAME THING angry

Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Rossikk(m): 12:52am On Apr 21, 2011
gadogado said

There is no born to rule mentality, thats just what you southerners cooked up to rally yourselves against northern political forces. Lame! the riots happened because the election was rigged, goodluck did not get and could not get 40% of sokoto votes as the results showed!

Dont rig elections and there will be no violence! under ordinary circumstances, with no cheating, the election would go into a run off!!! not gej winning by over 10 million votes!! big lie!! rigging!!! you know it, the whole country knows the elections were rigged, northerners, if you heard what they were chanting, were aggrieved by the margin of loss not necessarily because gej "won" All the PDP knows is rigging! they're criminals and have no true legitimacy!

So why did southerners not start to riot and kill Hausas after Yar'adua was rigged in?

Why did the fraud-hating Hausas not turn on each other in disgust when THEIR MAN, Yar'adua, was rigged into power?

Is it only when a southern christian gets ''rigged in'' that the animals you support go on kilings sprees?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Rossikk(m): 12:53am On Apr 21, 2011
gadogado said

There is no born to rule mentality, thats just what you southerners cooked up to rally yourselves against northern political forces. Lame! the riots happened because the election was rigged, goodluck did not get and could not get 40% of sokoto votes as the results showed!

Dont rig elections and there will be no violence! under ordinary circumstances, with no cheating, the election would go into a run off!!! not gej winning by over 10 million votes!! big lie!! rigging!!! you know it, the whole country knows the elections were rigged, northerners, if you heard what they were chanting, were aggrieved by the margin of loss not necessarily because gej "won" All the PDP knows is rigging! they're criminals and have no true legitimacy!

So why did southerners not start to riot and kill Hausas after Yar'adua was rigged in?

Why did the fraud-hating Hausas not turn on each other in disgust when THEIR MAN, Yar'adua, was rigged into power?

Is it only when a southern christian gets ''rigged in'' that the animals you support  go on kiling sprees?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Rossikk(m): 12:54am On Apr 21, 2011
gadogado said

Is it only when a southern christian gets ''rigged in'' that the animals you support  go on kiling sprees?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by FILEBE(m): 1:56am On Apr 21, 2011
Ooga o! I don read every post, The thread don tire me sef! People no wan gree for theirselves. Some say na Bigotry,Hatred,Jaundice eyes,superiority complex,inferiority complex,ignorance, whatever. But i think i can deduce that some people are misinformed,brainwashed,selfish and believe in their tribes than the other. As if it were a mistake you are a Nigerian. Trust me when i say that Islam does not preach Violence. The name Islam means Peace. Som evil people just do things in order to tarnish religions. RELIGION is different from CULTURE. It is some people's nature to be easily annoyed while it is some to be overbearing. The existence of both in an environment is called co-habitation. 'We have diverse culture and ethnicity' so? What has happened to the slogan: unity in diversity? We should learn to be tolerant of one another. Beats me that some of us dont know how the world be if only one tribe(your tribe) existed. Mehn, D world go dry pass my grandfather bald head! Everything in this world is created for a reason. I find it weird that we wouldn't have known light without darkness, Peace without war, good without bad, and even law without crime. Isn't that kind of creepy? But it's the truth.
The Igbos,Yorubas and Hausas couldn't have existed anywhere in the world other than my beloved country,Nigeria. If you think otherwise then try finding another suitable part of the body to place your nose if not your face!
Who says Nigeria will divide? Who says? Beleive it or not Nigeria will never divide. I can bet my life on that! Truly truly some people may be misinformed maybe it's our duty to enlighten them (that's if we are informed too o). My fellow Nigerian brothers and sisters please let peace reign in our country Nigeria,lets treat issues with understanding and not violence. Together we shall make this country better and the best. Thank you,
* gatherin my write-ups,rubbin my sweaty palms on my pants and walkin off the podium like someone who had jst given a Martin Lutherking's speech *
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Fathill007: 3:07am On Apr 21, 2011
@filebe.Nice one! Tell them! Tell them o
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Sagamite(m): 3:32am On Apr 21, 2011
FILEBE:

Ooga o! I don read every post,  The thread don tire me sef! People no wan gree for theirselves. Some say na Bigotry,Hatred,Jaundice eyes,superiority complex,inferiority complex,ignorance, whatever. But i think i can deduce that some people are misinformed,brainwashed,selfish and believe in their tribes than the other. As if it were a mistake you are a Nigerian. Trust me when i say that Islam does not preach Violence. The name Islam means Peace. Som evil people just do things in order to tarnish religions.  RELIGION is different from CULTURE. It is some people's nature to be easily annoyed while it is some to be overbearing. The existence of both in an environment is called co-habitation. 'We have diverse culture and ethnicity' so?

Are you for a second claiming that these barbaric violences' root has more to do with culture than religious zealots?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by calaway: 8:51am On Apr 21, 2011
@ me aboki.

You can write all you want and even diselude your conscience but you cannot change the truth or arrest this wind of change.
obviously you are a crusader of the Hausa onslaught on fellow Nigerians. In your myopic and illogical reasoning, a man who sells his child into slavery to satisfy his greedy lust for gains is as bad as one who kills innocent babies to score polictical points(animals). you I.diotics Hausa fo.ol, this the impunity that drives you to kill others without consideration. I bet you live in Lagos or some south western state where you go about your living without fear of molestation or murder and yet you argue with those who disapprove the killing of their kindred in you own part of the country for no reason other than their falsified claims of rigging by excel manipulation in an internationally adjudged free and fair election. If you are not smart enough to know that the world watches in total condemnation of Huasa/islam then continue to justify the actions of your kin. Be sure though that very soon you will be the one weeping from shear hunger.
Your boys in Kafanchans yesterday just as their ending their prayers in their mosque trooped out with AK47 and killed hundreds of people while burning churches. U must pay for all this you know?

PLEASE JUST CARRY YOUR PEOPLE AND LEAVE NIGERIA AND TAKE YOU BARREN WASTE LAND MASS WITH YOU!!! NOBODY WANTS YOU FANATIC BASTARDS!!!! NIGERIANS ARE READY TO GIVE YOU AND YOU KIN 3 YRS OIL REVENUE TO LEAVE IN PEACE EVEN IF YOU WANT TO GO WITH THE NAME "NIGERIA" IT IS YOURS PLEASE TAKE IT. LEAVE US IN PEACE.
IF YOU ARE WISE HEED THE WARNINGS, YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST IN NIGERIA AND INDEED THE WORLD.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nebuchadnezzar(m): 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2011
Should we plan a coup to exterminate their race?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Photos Of Yemi Osinbajo In Boston, USA / Tinubu Celebrates Atiku's 70th Birthday. Says 'You Are A Man Of Faith" / Presidency Confirms Release Of Abducted Dapchi Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.