Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man (19095 Views)

I Read This Post And I Feel Ashamed Of My Country...... No Unity And Love Again! / If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2011
13volts:

Having the information without the intellectual ability to realy comprehend it in logical sence is the fact in issue. Secondly comes the issue of exposure which is still lacking amongst my people. I started my secondary school in lagos Akande Dahunsi Memorial high school to be precise. I have seen the potentials in the SW. I did my NYSC in obagi Rivers State I saw the enormous potentials in the SS. Why am saying all this is that an average uneducated northerner and even some educated ones with little or no exposure knew that Nigeria relies on oil revenue from the SS. Here the info is there. But the drop zone is that few ever realize that the north will be noting more than a glorified Niger Republic without the SS oil proceeds. This is the point am trying to put across. A landlocked northern Nigeria used to cheap petrochemical dollers will be catastrophic.

I am still having a hard time understanding what you mean  . . . . I mean the part where you state that information is available - what sort of information are you really speaking of here? . . .Also  so, of what use is the political and religious consciousness that you say exists?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 18, 2011
You should be!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Ivynwa(f): 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2011
Beaf:

Your stance is appreciated. Never be ashamed of who you are, but join hands with others to take the reigns of progressive leadership that is sadly lacking in the North. Many will strengthen you from North, South, East and West.

NAIJA_SOM:

[b]MY friend (Poster) we are all brothers and sisters and your pain is my pain. Your people are our people. You feel ashamed for them, i also feel ashamed for them and so should all of us. I am a -------- [/b] [/size][size=8pt]

@Beaf and Naija-_Som,
Beautiful response from you guys, I always like to see love expressed and it's heart warming to see tolerant Nigerians who still have love in their hearts for others irrespective of the tribe they are from.

@Poster
Your open mindedness towards others is equally sweet, it's high time we all left behind the clouding tribalism, hatred and religous extremism to where they belong: in the past.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by fyomer: 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2011
namfav« #55 on: Today at 08:11:15 PM »:

hahaha these f00ls trying to school us, just go to hell, maybe if we all mind our buisiness we would not have such mess

Beware of GEJ,he didint get there by his power,so no matter what the northners do,you just end up getting yourselves burnt.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by CrudeOil2(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2011
I really feel for you men, I know how you feel. Sorry ya! cry cry cry
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 9:32pm On Apr 18, 2011
I'v spent about 70%  of my life up in the north and I seem to understand how the Poster feels. Its even worse with christian hausas- northerners dont want them, southerners reject them.

Is that why you are giving out free hugs? Come and give me a free hug too- I get rejected loads by everyone  kiss

Kobojunkie:

I am still having a hard time understanding what you mean  . . . . I mean the part where you state that information is available - what sort of information are you really speaking of here? . . .Also  so, of what use is the political and religious consciousness that you say exists?

Information about what is happening in Nigeria, like what you guys think of them, issues like zoning and federal quota, political shenanigans of the PDP the whole shishi. Even the youths down North are tired of rearing cattle and wanna drive flash cars too. However they do not have the educations to put the information or ideas within the proper context. The little education they have might make them reason out albeit wrongly that "they deserve a share of all that oil money" though they dont produce nada

Would love to explain more sweetheart but I just heard news that you were a He? Is that true?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by DeSheikh(m): 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2011
@poster
I used to feel the same way until my enlightenment as a muslim got to the point where I only see people as people. I am me. I did not choose my ethnicity, or even my family for that matter. All humans are capable of good and/or evil.
That said, I feel angered by the senseless violence and condemn it in strong words. The painful part is that a good number of these miscreants did not even vote and they have the guts to blame others for what, if you ask me, they brought upon us ( the true supporters of Buhari). I commited my resources to the BB cause and even had to drive all the way from Kano (on Friday), stayed in a hotel close to where I registered, in order to vote for Buhari on Saturday in Kaduna (my company transfered me from Kaduna shortly after I registered). I then drove back in the evening to Kano only to have my family trapped in the middle of the riot this morning. Thank God I was able to drive through the thick of it all to get them back home before soldiers were deployed to quell the uprising.
My friend, it is people like you & I who can change this unbecoming attitude of our people. start with your immediate family and close associates and we can move from there. Don't be ashamed. you are you. Shun the stereotypes and live your life free.
Allah Ya taimake mu.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by 13volts(m): 9:43pm On Apr 18, 2011
@kobojunke

I have tried to explain why free flow of information without the necessary intellectual / exposure is useless. I just don't get what you want me to explain.
Today am going to bed regretting the violence but at the same glad it was the elites in the north and not innocent people that will cry.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by fyomer: 9:45pm On Apr 18, 2011
De Shiekh
on: Today at 09:36:58 PM :

@poster
I used to feel the same way until my enlightenment as a muslim got to the point where I only see people as people. I am me. I did not choose my ethnicity, or even my family for that matter. All humans are capable of good and/or evil.
That said, I feel angered by the senseless violence and condemn it in strong words. The painful part is that a good number of these miscreants did not even vote and they have the guts to blame others for what, if you ask me, they brought upon us ( the true supporters of Buhari). I commited my resources to the BB cause and even had to drive all the way from Kano (on Friday), stayed in a hotel close to where I registered, in order to vote for Buhari on Saturday in Kaduna (my company transfered me from Kaduna shortly after I registered). I then drove back in the evening to Kano only to have my family trapped in the middle of the riot this morning. Thank God I was able to drive through the thick of it all to get them back home before soldiers were deployed to quell the uprising.
My friend, it is people like you & I who can change this unbecoming attitude of our people. start with your immediate family and close associates and we can move from there. Don't be ashamed. you are you. Shun the stereotypes and live your life free.
Allah Ya taimake mu.

AMIN AMIN
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by drstone1: 10:01pm On Apr 18, 2011
Indeed,none shd b ashamed of whr he/she is frm. U had no choice. Bt what u cn change r d things ur wil n decision cn influence. I think there are a lot the hausas cn b proud of in terms of their culture, history n their long exposure 2d arab world compared d ppl's of d south. Hweva d comin of d europeans alongside d embracin of superior culure nd their education tilted d advantage. As a matta of urgency some1 shd ring a loud bell 2wake dem up into d reality of modern living n advancments.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by houvest: 10:09pm On Apr 18, 2011
De Sheikh:

@poster
Allah Ya taimake mu.

Wow with the existence of more of such folks like this poster and the OP in both North and South, I believe that there is still hope for Nigeria.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Apr 18, 2011
13volts:

@kobojunke

I have tried to explain why free flow of information without the necessary intellectual / exposure is useless. I just don't get what you want me to explain.
Today am going to bed regretting the violence but at the same glad it was the elites in the north and not innocent people that will cry.

It's that the process of Education usually involves bombarding people with information. If you say it does not worth out in the North -- that even with all that information, the majority are still misinformed, then I have cause to wonder how best to reach then with life saving information and information necessary for development
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by soloqy: 10:22pm On Apr 18, 2011
13volts:

Hausa are politically active. An average hausaman listen to 4 international radio station 3 times a day. Radio France, BBC, German radio, VOA, radio china and Iran.

You mean the Hausa service of those international stations yeah?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 10:28pm On Apr 18, 2011
^ Man Woman you still dont understand what he is trying to say

Its all in his post. The Hausa are politically interested and aware just that their scope of Nigerian politics is quite narrow based on the lack of formal education. Without formal education (which is highly encouraged in the south), there is no way for these people to critically evaluate the information to receive from the Newspaper or Radio or whatever. Their lack of education makes them unable to do so.

What you just wrote has nothing to do with what he is saying  angry. Getting tons of info=education. I could bombard you with lots of Quantum theory and Statistical Mechanics but you would not understand shishi

@OP
I understand perfectly where you are coming from.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 10:34pm On Apr 18, 2011
I don't think it is the case that they are being bombarded with information that is beyond their comprehension. I used to listen with some of my roommates to some of the news from such stations as VOA and BBC Hausa, and I don't believe it is necessarily the case that the information is beyond them. At least I don't think it is. I listened recently to a report advising people on farming practices and on the most part , the information sounded pretty basic. I mean what benefit will it be for any group to do that?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by BluMalam(m): 10:40pm On Apr 18, 2011
@ poster

I find your post nauseating & deceitful
All you have done is send dopamine surging through the brain nerves of Hausa bashers
How can you claim to be ashamed of your tribe because of violent tendencies but not your religion?

I am Hausa/Fulani, I am a CHRISTIAN. I am half Bini, yeah, south south
The Christian Hausa community has never EVER been violent/never have/had violent tendencies, we are always at the receiving end of all kinds of persecution, but always take the high road. We are Hausa Fulani.

My friend, please ask a trusted religious leader why JIHAD (Holy War) is preached in your faith, then you will understand that the Muslim Hausa rub off their violent inclinations on the generality of the Hausa tribe.

I will never be ashamed of being a HAUSA MAN. ★
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't think it is the case that they are being bombarded with information that is beyond their comprehension. I used to listen with some of my roommates to some of the news from such stations as VOA and BBC Hausa, and I don't believe it is necessarily the case that the information is beyond them. At least I don't think it is. I listened recently to a report advising people on farming practices and on the most part , the information sounded pretty basic. I mean what benefit will it be for any group to do that?

Madam, please, could you just let this rest! I mean, just let it go. Your constant examination and cross examination is, more often than not, quite tedious.  Don't mean to be rude; it's just my perception. Thanks
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

It's that the process of Education usually involves bombarding people with information. If you say it does not worth out in the North -- that even with all that information, the majority are still misinformed, then I have cause to wonder how best to reach then with life saving information and information necessary for development

I think I understand your arguement clearly. . . why is listening to 10 foreign and local radio stations by northerners not having an impact in their way of life?

This comment from SEFAGO may explain it better:

SEFAGO:

Information about what is happening in Nigeria, like what you guys think of them, issues like zoning and federal quota, political shenanigans of the PDP the whole shishi. Even the youths down North are tired of rearing cattle and wanna drive flash cars too. However they do not have the educations to put the information or ideas within the proper context. The little education they have might make them reason out albeit wrongly that "they deserve a share of all that oil money" though they dont produce nada

Would love to explain more sweetheart but I just heard news that you were a He? Is that true?

If you get to understand this, then I guess its rightful of you to ask of. . . .

1. Of what use is the info from these radio channels to them?
2. Are they listening or merely playing the radio for the fun of it?
3. At what point in time would they as human beings (educated or not) realize that playing the radio has not don them or their neighbors any good?
4. Or that the poster is being economical with the truth
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 10:51pm On Apr 18, 2011
My oh my

Anyhoo, I will break it down to the basics by giving a crude example:

Hausa man hears on the radio calls by Niger Delta people to increase state allocation funds to people from ND since they produce the oil and increase ND presence in Government parastals

Uneducated Hausa Man: Walahi Talahi all these people are greedy. Are we not part of Nigeria. We deserve everything to be shared equally. I am going to find a random person to split into pieces (hopefully igbo)  grin, I joke
Educated and Well Traveled Hausa Man: This makes sense. The ND bears the brunt environmentally for most of Nigeria's oil revenue. It would be ratiional that they receive some sort of compensation.

Two different responses from people with two different perspectives of life. The burning is issue is that the first individual is more common in the North. He gets lots of info on his radio but he could easily be mislead by political propaganda-like a child.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2011
nuzo:

I think I understand your arguement clearly. . . why is listening to 10 foreign and local radio stations by northerners not having an impact in their way of life?

This comment from SEFAGO may explain it better:

If you get to understand this, then I guess its rightful of you to ask of. . . .

3. At what point in time would they as human beings (educated or not) realize that playing the radio has not don them or their neighbors any good?

YES!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2011

ROTFL!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2011
Maybe the reason Hausas tend to be violent is because of the arab blood flowing in their veins.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2011
SEFAGO:

My oh my

Anyhoo, I will break it down to the basics by giving a crude example:

Hausa man hears on the radio calls by Niger Delta people to increase state allocation funds to people from ND since they produce the oil and increase ND presence in Government parastals

Uneducated Hausa Man: Walahi Talahi all these people are greedy. Are we not part of Nigeria. We deserve everything to be shared equally. I am going to find a random person to split into pieces (hopefully igbo)  grin, I joke
Educated and Well Traveled Hausa Man: This makes sense. The ND bears the brunt environmentally for most of Nigeria's oil revenue. It would be ratiional that they receive some sort of compensation.

Two different responses from people with two different perspectives of life. The burning is issue is that the first individual is more common in the North. He gets lots of info on his radio but he could easily be mislead by political propaganda-like a child.

Forget about the calls by Niger Delta people and all that. I am more interested in basic information first -- information to help their lives. The poster said the average hausa(where majority are poor) has access to information, and from what I have listened to, the information is basic. So it makes sense for me to wonder why all that information seems not to arrive at all.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Opes1: 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2011
@ nuzo:

Well said.

@ everyone:

Most times, Nairaland is a place where we read each other's minds.
I've done that for years without posting much.
But today, I think we are pouring out a lot here.

The simple truth is that the poster made a clear 'personal' confession.
I believe he is honest. And I have seen comments of praises here for that singular act.
But I also believe that not all of us are that honest.

The Southerners can NEVER understand how the mixture of religion with tribalism works in the north and vice versa goes to the Northerners.
But the shame here is that most of the KIND of development we truly want is coming from the south-west - the same people that
arguably have the best education.
Now, tell me that the northerners are educated one more time - impossible!
Yet they have retained power for so long to achieve little for this country of destiny.

I can tell you: As a young scholar in 1997, I once marked SSCE scripts coming from the North, I saw no iota of education!!!
I even fear that even if we educate the entire north VERY WELL, they will still roll out their political and religious agendas.
So what's the point. They CHOSE to be that way and have no plans for repentance!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 11:08pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

YES!

What is your point, Kobojunkie? Is it that listening to Arabic radio (as a good chunk of those Northerners don't speak English) that provides information from an Islamic perspective--possibly an extremist perspective--is equivalent to getting an education from nursery all the way to secondary school, possibly to the university? Please clarify.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2011
It is one thing to be exposed to information. It is another thing to listen to the information, digest it, critique it, and offer counterarguments if necessary. It is called reasoning. Not having an education does not prepare your mental faculties to be able to reason, which is why advanced countries understand the importance of education and create laws that require parents to take give their children education.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 11:14pm On Apr 18, 2011

You should ask your/our forefathers  why they spent centuries unable to do anything scientifically creative except live in mud huts with teeny weeny towns that modern day afrocentrists are now calling kingdoms . You should also ask the over 200 million+ black Africans who access to TV and radio if they are just playing radio and TV for fun and why are they still backwards in science and technology, not just only Hausa people.

Or instead maybe it might be a better idea for Nigerian leaders and Nigerians who spend tons of time sitting down watching CNN and see all the development going on in the west to push for education in the North as an important part of their agenda and not building rubbish like International airports and asking for crap like additional state creation to "balance things out". One thing at a time

That my friend is One Nigeria  grin

Forget about the calls by Niger Delta people and all that. I am more interested in basic information first -- information to help their lives. The poster said the average hausa(where majority are poor) has access to information, and from what I have listened to, the information is basic. So it makes sense for me to wonder why all that information seems not to arrive at all.

I created that vignette to show you what his main concern was. But your stance on "basic information" is not what he is worried about. He is calling for formal education in the North having lived in the SW and SE and seeing the opportunities afforded to those who have such an education. Basic Information on what exactly? Farming?  grin You want them to be farmers for life. The world economy left that like err several centuries ago.

I think you should go back and read his earlier posts slowly and carefully- might help  grin
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Apr 18, 2011
When it comes to information that is basic to one's existence, one is not required to have reasoning abilities. If you play ABC - 123 song on the radio to a baby for a while, the baby is likely to learn ABC and 123 in no time, even recognize the characters if you had employed a visual aid in that experiment. There is a simple program that teaches babies how to talk with just that ( Your Baby can Read) out in the market .
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 11:29pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

When it comes to information that is basic to one's existence, one is not required to have reasoning abilities. If you play ABC - 123 song on the radio to a baby for a while, the baby is likely to learn ABC and 123 in no time, even recognize the characters if you had employed a visual aid in that experiment. There is a simple program that teaches babies how to talk with just that ( Your Baby can Read) out in the market .

learning how to say ABC is different from learning how to form words. learning how to form words is different from learning how to form sentences. learning how to form sentences is different from learning how to form paragraphs. learning how to form paragraphs is different from reading skills and comprehension. all these experiences help you learn how to form your own opinions and challenge existing authorities, if necessary.

You are reasoning like a typical Almajiri, who use what you just said to justify the nonexistence or lack of need of a standard education. You are talking like the people who, for centuries, have formed an education system are stupid.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 11:30pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

When it comes to information that is basic to one's existence, one is not required to have reasoning abilities. If you play ABC - 123  song on the radio to a baby for a while, the baby is likely to learn ABC and 123 in no time, even recognize the characters if you had employed a visual aid in that experiment. There is a simple program that teaches babies how to talk with just that ( Your Baby can Read) out in the market .

Thats more early stage cognitive learning and is not even the close to the right example ( considering the fact that your example is that of a baby where language and character development is even much faster, as an adult those two are firm set for most). We are talking of reasoning - reasoning is no way innate but learned by trial and error and experience. Just listening to radio without even some education to give you a background on what you are learning on does not make sense.

Why did you mention farming also for crying out loud? Come to think of it, the farming does not make sense. Assume that you listen to a weekly show on "How to farm" everyweek how are you going to commit such a large info to memory if you cannot write? Most Hausa cannot write in any language. Implementing what you learn on radio is not possible.

I think the OP was talking about political information not "Farming"

Go back and read his post even more slowly

I can tell you: As a young scholar in 1997, I once marked SSCE scripts coming from the North, I saw no iota of education!!!
I even fear that even if we educate the entire north VERY WELL, they will still roll out their political and religious agendas.
So what's the point. They CHOSE to be that way and have no plans for repentance!

Who told you they had "Choice" in the true meaning of the word? As for their political agenda are they the first ethnic group to have a political agenda? Dont SW/SS/SE have political agendas? As for religious agendas well that is another story entirely  cheesy
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2011
Princek12:

learning how to say ABC is different from learning how to form words. learning how to form words is different from learning how to form sentences. learning how to form sentences is different from learning how to form paragraphs. learning how to form paragraphs is different from reading skills and comprehension. all these experiences help you learn how to form your own opinions and challenge existing authorities, if necessary.

You are reasoning like a typical Almajiri, who use what you just said to justify the nonexistence or lack of need of a standard education. You are talking like the people who, for centuries, have formed an education system are silly.

Man, no homo, but I wanna give you a hug for explaining it so succinctly.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by nagoma(m): 11:33pm On Apr 18, 2011
As a staunch BB supporter, I am devastated by the riots and feel ashamed. Actually wanted to shy away from NL but for this post which gave me the encouragement to join again. The mob action was mindless and I believe was meant to be a protest which unfortunately when peaceful is not seen as a protest by these uneducated brothers. Yes radio listening is a hobby for many in those state and the only source of  education for a significant proportion of  them apart from rudiments of religious most basic instructions. While this is a result of Our failure to reach these category of people no body can justify the mayhem of sunday and today and my heart goes to those innocent people at the receiving end. I know that GEJ may not be the best president yet for Nigeria, but I fully accept a majority verdict and also agree with protests when handled according to law and order.
I will propose that Jonathan makes the promotion of  education  - especially in the north( after all he is Nigeria's President -abi?) one of his cardinal objectives and if he succeeds , he may become a life president - thus realizing the dream of his mentor and benefactor OBJ and without coercion. Because all will then understand.
This is not the time to bring this - but you will of course remember education in form of reading writing , literature, poetry , philosophy , government  and scholarship in general came to the north more than a hundred years before the south and books written by these people 2000 years ago are still in the libraries and museums. But I am the first to say it before you shout - times have changed and the north is not even stagnating but has gone back centuries in History. But this is normal happening in evolution - that is why the European union are now making nyanga  - when Greece asks for support with a failing economy - when the Greeks were the pinnacle of civilization in the world most of those EU countries were savages.
History moves in circles . Who knows , the north may rise again from it's slide that began with the coming of European civilization and the North's rejection of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Presidential Change Of Guards Parade In Abuja (Pictures) / Clement Odah Slaps Chinedu Onah In Ebonyi State / Bashir Ahmad Posts Aerial View Of APC Rally In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.