Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 (27426 Views)

Wike Urges New Oba Of Ogbaland To Emulate His Late Father / Oba Saliu Adetunji Is Dead! Olubadan Of Ibadan Dies At 93 / Meet The Longest Reigning Monarch In Rivers State Oba Of Ogbaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by omonnakoda: 12:12pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uchasa:

That page has been like that for decades. The reason why people see Ogba people as Igbos is because before the 80's they fully identified as Igbos.
Hahaha The internet has not been around for decades neither has Wikipedia.

On any article in Wikipedia , There is a history tab that shows all editing.
There has been countless editing on pages to do with Ikwerre, Ekpeye and similar groups in Rivers state on Wikipedia
This is an easily verifiable fact

Ogba People NEVER identified as Igbos.

NEVER

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 12:12pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:

United States is five times the size of England in population and a lot more in area. Most people there speak English that does not make them English descendants
So that argument about Benin SIze has no logic to it
This claim of being "logical" does not work. Rather we have an argument crafted to suit a preconceived idea

According to the Bible Jesus spoke Aramaic which was NOT the language of the Hebrews and many Hebrew names or variants are used by people across that region
yet each group maintain distinct identity despite massive similarity e.g
Suleiman Solomon
Ibrahim Abraham
Musa Moshe/Mose
Daoud David
Haruna Aaron

Abraham.... Ibrahim
Moses..... Musa

Isn't it obvious this moslem names where gotten from the former?

Nwike.... Wike
Nwosu.... Wosu

Isn't it obvious this is Igbo to ikwerre? If we go by your logic.

Talking about the United States population being more than England's population lol. We all know Almost all Americans are migrants and still have their native cultures and languages (names intact)
Sade... Yoruba
Wale.... Yoruba
Arnold schwarzenegger... Austrian
Barack Obama.... Kenyan

My point is, all these names still has something about their bearers original culture. They are Americans now and speak English but we still have traces of their roots.

I'm still looking for that Benin root in all this Delta and Rivers Igboid tribes.
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Kfed4ril(m): 12:17pm On Apr 30, 2021
Etrusen:

Oga keep quiet

the title have always been Oba in ogba land

when Benin told you ppo that their are lots of their migrants in rivers you ppo choose to cause confusion

research b4 saying trash

ogba land have been like this for centuries though the public way of life have change, the monarchy still remain the same

please ask yourself why would the king choose Benin system over Igbo if he had nothing to do with Benin

I don’t have a problem if he chooses bini, Hausa, Idoma or Yoruba system, my own is why is he bearing Igbo name?

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Kfed4ril(m): 12:19pm On Apr 30, 2021
Simbrixton:
they are bini descendants not igbos igbos no pass d 5 states of eastern nigeria

I don’t care, my own is why is he answering Igbo name?
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by omonnakoda: 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uniportadmision:

Abraham.... Ibrahim
Moses..... Musa

Isn't it obvious this moslem names where gotten from the former?

Nwike.... Wike
Nwosu.... Wosu

Isn't it obvious this is Igbo to ikwerre? If we go by your logic.

Talking about the United States population more than England lol. We all know Almost all Americans are migrants and still have their native cultures and languages (names intact)
Sade... Yoruba
Wale.... Yoruba
Arnold schwarzenegger... Austrian
Barack Obama.... Kenyan

My point is, all these names still has something about their bearers original culture. They are Americans now and speak English but we still have traces of their roots.

I'm still looking for that Benin root in all this Delta and Rivers Igboid tribes.

There is NOTHING like Muslim names and no it is not obvious
What we have are Arab names . That existed LONG BEFORE Islam
Muhammad was called Muhammad at Birth , His father Abdullah and Mother Amina WERE NOT MUSLIMS
The Hebrews were one of the smallest groups in that region. They had a lot in common and had many names in common . There is no way of claiming one group owns the name
Do you even know the etymology of the word "Igboid" . There is nothing like Igboid tribe as many revisionists claim

The term "Igboid" is from the field of liguistics developed by Kay Williamson

Igboid is a family of LANGUAGES of which Igbo is one and Ikwerre is another. It has nothing to do with the people or tribes. It is purely a linguistic classification
I have used the capital for language to emphasise the fact that every member of the family is a language on its own and not a dialect
Kay Williamson is the foremost academic authority on the Igbo and Igboid languages and that was her conclusion . They are distinct languages of the same family and the family is called Igboid because Igbo language had the most speakers
Just like French , Italian , Spanish , and Portuguese are all part of the Romance family

And English , Deutsch , Dutch are Germanic languages. The fact that English is a Germanic language does not make English people German

many of you ignorantly latch on to the "igbo" in Igboid to mean something that it does not mean
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 30, 2021
A very matured and lovely person. The first pro-chancellor of FUT Owerri. I pray GOD to comfort his family.
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Etrusen(m): 12:27pm On Apr 30, 2021
Kfed4ril:

I don’t have a problem if he chooses bini, Hausa, Idoma or Yoruba system, my own is why is he bearing Igbo name?
. I think u can get your answer by locating the nearest transformer

then you can ask him in person

hope that solve the problem?
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by sageb: 12:27pm On Apr 30, 2021
PHijo:

It is Oyigbo and not Obigbo!

We know the history of that place.
That Igbo immigrants from Abia in particular have flooded the place does not make it Igbo heartland.
there is a version that said it was owned by Andoni.
please drop the true story here.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by omonnakoda: 12:29pm On Apr 30, 2021
sageb:

Eleme
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by RingRoadMafia: 12:29pm On Apr 30, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:
RIP,
DADDY
Continue to Rest in Peace.

Na your papa?
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Kfed4ril(m): 12:30pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:
Akalaka's sons Ogba and Ekpeye founded Ogbaland and Ekpeyeland respectively
They along with the Ikwerre all claim ancestry from Akalaka and that they are NOT IGBO

But Eboes are determined that they must be and have conducted a concerted campaign on Wikipedia to revise their histories

Nobody wants them to be Igbo, believe me, but where the problem lies is them bearing Igbo names, have you ever seen an Igbo man claiming that itsekiris are Igbo? No why because they don’t bear Igbo names. So stop bearing Igbo names and stop confusing the confused afonjas
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uchasa(m): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:

Hahaha The internet has not been around for decades neither has Wikipedia.

On any article in Wikipedia , There is a history tab that shows all editing.
There has been countless editing on pages to do with Ikwerre, Ekpeye and similar groups in Rivers state on Wikipedia
This is an easily verifiable fact

Ogba People NEVER identified as Igbos.

NEVER

First of all, where are you from?
Answer that question because I'm sure you're not from Rivers State
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 12:39pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:

There is NOTHING like Muslim names and no it is not obvious
What we have are Arab names . That existed LONG BEFORE Islam
Muhammad was called Muhammad at Birth , His father Abdullah and Mother Amina WERE NOT MUSLIMS
The Hebrews were one of the smallest groups in that region. They had a lot in common and had many names in common . There is no way of claiming one group owns the name
Do you even know the etymology of the word "Igboid" . There is nothing like Igboid tribe as many revisionists claim

The term "Igboid" is from the field of liguistics developed by Kay Williamson

Igboid is a family of LANGUAGES of which Igbo is one and Ikwerre is another. It has nothing to do with the people or tribes. It is purely a liguistic classification
I have used the capital for language to emphasis the fact that every member of the family is a language on its own and not a dialect
Kay Williamson is the foremost academic authority on the Igbo and Igboid languages and that was her conclusion . They are distinct languages of the same family and the family is called Igboid because Igbo language had the most speakers
Just like French , Italian , Spanish , and Portuguese are all part of the Romance family

And English , Deutsch , Dutch are Germanic languages. The fact that English is a Germanic language does not make English people German

many of you ignorantly latch on to the "igbo" in Igboid to mean something that it does not mean

And who told you the English (Anglo Saxons) aren't German by ancestry?

Igboid different from Igbo really? Do you know no tribe or dialect is actually called Igbo. Igbo is a nation containing the different tribes or should I say dialects of that nation. We have the owerri dialect, Ngors, etches, Nsukkas, orlu, Ulis, Ngwas, Aros etc those other tribes that fell into the so-called South South are just one of such tribes. I grew up in Port Harcourt with an owerri dialect, when I went to a boarding school at Imo and spoke Igbo, they all laughed at my dialect... Like what kind of Igbo is this guy speaking? Lol

We used to make fun and laugh at every new Igbo dialect we heard then.

Stop confusing yourself with Igboid or South South this and that, heck even my grandma's Igbo dialect is difficult to understand than the Ogba language, so what makes the other easier dialect in the south south less Igbo than the harder dialect in same Imo?

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by omonnakoda: 12:49pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uniportadmision:

And who told you the English (Anglo Saxons) aren't German by ancestry?

Igboid different from Igbo really? Do you know no tribe or dialect is actually called Igbo. Igbo is a nation containing the different tribes or should I say dialects of that nation. We have the owerri dialect, Ngors, etches, Nsukkas, orlu, Ulis, Ngwas, Aros etc those other tribes that fell into the so-called South South are just one of such tribes. I grew up in Port Harcourt with an owerri dialect, when I went to a boarding school at Imo and spoke Igbo, they all laughed at my dialect... Like what kind of Igbo is this guy speaking? Lol

We used to make fun and laugh at every new Igbo dialect we heard then.

Stop confusing yourself with Igboid or South South this and that, heck even my grandma's Igbo dialect is difficult to understand than the Ogba language, so what makes the other easier dialect in the south south less Igbo than the harder dialect in same Imo?

Who told me English are not German by ancestry? Do you really have anything sensible that is fact based to say or are you just venting?

The Term Igboid was introduced by Kay Williamson. Research it

I am not interested in your biography

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about

When Linguists study language they have established methods for grouping languages . Intelligibility is not the criteria

There is today zero mutual intelligibility between German and English yet they belong to the same family. Why?

Ikwerre language is not a dialect of Igbo
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Kfed4ril(m): 12:52pm On Apr 30, 2021
Etrusen:
. I think u can get your answer by locating the nearest transformer

then you can ask him in person

hope that solve the problem?

That’s the problem with you people, you claim you want to argue with facts, but when someone brings in a question that needs a factual answer, you result to insults

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:

Who told me English are not German by ancestry? Do you really have anything sensible that is fact based to say or are you just venting?

When Linguists study language they have established methods for grouping languages . Intelligibility is not the criteria

There is today zero mutual intelligibility between German and English yet they belong to the same family. Why?

Are the English German by ancestry yes or no?
No intelligibility between the two languages but English is still referred to be Germanic why? Because English is gotten from German by old Germans who are now referred to as Anglo Saxons(forefathers of modern English men). You're proving my point for me. They are English now doesn't mean their ancestors were never Germans.

From Austria to Holland or England to Germany etc we all know they are different people but from the same ancestry (Germans)

Same applies to the Igbo nation my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by ukelament(m): 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2021
RIP, SIR!
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uniportadmision:

No intelligibility between the two languages but English is still referred to be Germanic why? Because English is gotten from German by old Germans who are now referred to as Anglo Saxons(forefathers of modern English men). You're proving my point for me. They are English now doesn't mean their ancestors were never Germans.

From Austria to Holland or England to Germany etc we all know they are different people but from the same ancestry (Germans)

You really gat strength to be arguing over what doesn't deserve an argument.

You get strength.
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by AyakaDunukofia: 1:30pm On Apr 30, 2021
Blacknote:

Burna Boy is from Engini clan not Ekpeye nor Ogba.
It baffles me how people argue over what they have little or no knowledge about.

You people are very wicked. That is why there is so much suffering in that contraption called Nigeria. Because Burna Boy is from Igbo speaking Rivers state, your hatred for the Igbo would not allow you to accept that very fact. Keep assigning him another obscure tribe.[img] https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/arts-and-life/article/why-we-gave-burna-boy-rivers-2nd-highest-award-choice-land-wike/amp/ [/img]

Idiots everywhere!!!
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
omonnakoda:

I just went through this again only to find out you resorted to insulting me when I presented you with facts and logic, what a shame.

You haven't answered my question,.... what makes the harder dialect in Imo or Ebonyi or Nsukka more Igbo than the easier Dialects of Anioma or Ogba of the south south

You call an Nsukka man full stack Igbo... Very difficult to understand, then call
An Ogba or etche man .... Very easy to understand non Igbo lol...

You lots lack brains, being a graduate or knowing how to make compositions with big vocabularies doesn't make one smart at all.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Hisroyalbadmeat(m): 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2021
What does igbo mean self, when was igbo used as an identity?,why the obsession on the akalaka brothers, I blame my progenitors, angrythey married and accommodated the Sh!ty slaves, make everybody get out angry
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by FaskeyG(m): 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2021
R. I. P to my oba... Your memories will never fade away... proudly Ogba✊
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by PHijo(m): 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uniportadmision:

So the ikwerres and the rest of the Igbo speaking groups flooding Rivers state that came from Benin nkor? grin

Let's agree the Benin claim is true, Obigbo people came from Abia while others came from Benin, so why do you sound like one group is more Rivers or Niger Deltan than the other? They're all Rivers people my brother, this hate will only consume you lots grin

Igbo people are not Rivers people. Short and simple. Igbo people are indigenous to Oyigbo.
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by PHijo(m): 1:53pm On Apr 30, 2021
sageb:

Oyigbo as an LGA today has indigenous Ijaw and Ogoni people. On the specifics on which people had which part of Oyigbo I wouldn't delve into it.

Igbo people coming enmass to Oyigbo is less than 15 years.
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by omonnakoda: 1:58pm On Apr 30, 2021
Uniportadmision:

That is where once again you lose your way making the same error

The term Germanic language has nothing to do with Germany as we know it today.
The people we know as English today are of diverse origins Roman, Celtic , Germanic( anglo-Saxon), Britons Nordic etc
There is no German Adam or Eve
All this talk about ancestry is nonsense
No one knows anything about human ancestry. Humans have been on this planet for millions of years .
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Igboid: 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2021
PHijo:

Oyigbo as an LGA today has indigenous Ijaw and Ogoni people. On the specifics on which people had which part of Oyigbo I wouldn't delve into it.

Igbo people coming enmass to Oyigbo is less than 15 years.

Where in Oyigbo are these indigenous Ogoni and Ijaws located? grin

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 2:09pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hisroyalbadmeat:
What does igbo mean self, when was igbo used as an identity?,why the obsession on the akalaka brothers, I blame my progenitors, angrythey married and accommodated the Sh!ty slaves, make everybody get out angry

Lolz � funny guy, don't let your hate make you curse yourself unknowingly grin this is what I mean... Your progenitors getting married to slaves? Are you saying the mothers of your ancestors were slaves? Therefore you guys are children of slaves? grin

What is the Odion name of Akalaka cheesy
No one is claiming you guys please but for educational purposes, the Benin ancestry talk is bulshit, because there's no single sense to it, language, culture, names, even idols, gods, artifacts (we all know Benins love arts) no single connection.

Engage me with facts and evidence.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by GeneralKoko(m): 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2021
Anago55:
. Igbo don suffer for una hand ooo. wetin concern Igbo with this post now? The said Oba is a confusionist. Your name is Chukwuemela Nnam Obi and you chose to be an Oba instead of an Obi that your ancestors approved. I am sure Wike led him to this to consolidate on their imaginary Benin Origin tales

The gods must have struck him dead for his stupidity

You're very useless and stupid that's my King you're insulting here .
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by GeneralKoko(m): 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2021
Anago55:
Using EZE and OBA at the same time is contradictory, Confused people

It should be Strictly Oba and nothing more. ndi ara

Who is this bastar.d
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Anago55: 2:14pm On Apr 30, 2021
GeneralKoko:

My father is a bastard and I am a bastard too

Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by PHijo(m): 2:15pm On Apr 30, 2021
Igboid:

Where in Oyigbo are these indigenous Ogoni and Ijaws located? grin

How that one take concern you?
Re: Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 by Uniportadmision: 2:15pm On Apr 30, 2021
PHijo:

Igbo people are not Rivers people. Short and simple. Igbo people are indigenous to Oyigbo.

Oga who is a Rivers person then? Since everyone at a point in time migrated. You migrated in 1650 and I migrated in 2021, we all came from somewhere, once I'm able to get a land as you did or do, we can all claim Rivers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures / Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.