Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (28066 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by emerged01(m): 1:05pm On May 08, 2021
Naija147:

Boss she nor go even reason am and because I never see step dad wey go do half of Wetin I dey do for my son.

I’m a responsible father, but not a responsible baby dad because I hate that woman
Case closed if you are a responsible father.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by ivolt: 1:07pm On May 08, 2021
@Akv666

Go ahead.
If you are going to practically act as the father, you should definitely go legal.

If you fail to do so, the sperm donor father might start blackmailing you guys later with threats of collecting
the child he never cared about.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Keemsleek005(m): 1:08pm On May 08, 2021
Pls dont mind some people and there mentality. Look at bola tinubu, bill Clinton, etc. If you good with it and your spirit goes with it. and do it legally. Cos someone as a bad experience with one single mum dies not mean all of them are bad, are all single ladies good, there are worse single ladies than single mum, if u hear what they do u will run.
I'm talking to you from experience. From what i just told u, I'm sure you know were i stand and that's is were my joy and my strength and my hope is been drawn from.
Its all about you, your happiness, your home and your future. Let no one decide for you.

All the best.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by sgtponzihater1(m): 1:09pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

No. Everyone should handle his own shit. All the best
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by charles614: 1:10pm On May 08, 2021
No try am , he may rise to drag with your biological children tomorrow
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 08, 2021
You re not the father, the father is still alive even if he is irresponsible, your fiancée is hiding secrets from you, never trust a single mom, they re black widow spiders.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 08, 2021
acesboy:
what a bomb shell of a respond. Thanks for this man��
jackcanfield:
But the child father is still alive and hasn't given you any approval to do so, neither has the boy extended family. I know love is shaking you, but the best you can do is take care of the boy, once you get approval from the boy's father or family that they willing let go then you can go ahead, as long as the father is alive, the mother assertion are invalid, because it is very possible she has been preventing the father from seeing the boy.

Make they no go kolobi your assets, turn you heavenly bound maga.

You can always make provision in your Will for the boy, but adopting a Child when the father is alive is a no no for me especially without his consent...
what a bomb shell of a respond. Thanks for this man��
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by A305: 1:13pm On May 08, 2021
chihes:
No cause for alarm my dear if you marry the lady legally and adopt the child legally. You can challenge the man and I can assure you, you will defeat him over the boy as long as you follow the due process by adopting him legally. Worry not if you fear that the boy may go back to his father because if you train him as you would for you biological children, I tell you he will always choose you over his biological father when the time comes.
I tell you he will always choose you over his biological father when the time comes

Madam prophetess. You just foresee the future, just like that!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by stacyadams: 1:14pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.
grin grin

U just wan carry another problems join ur own
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by DrAkpa(m): 1:14pm On May 08, 2021
[s]Righteousness2:
Op! Some of you are already carrying the Mark of the Beast even before the time?

Op! Be careful of what you represent. It is deeper than mere numbers.
[/s]

What is this one saying??
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Angy55(f): 1:15pm On May 08, 2021
Nonexistent1:
So with all you have been reading here, you still want to marry a single mother and adopt her child? Your simpism will soon pay off by the time it ends in premium tears.

Just listen to yourself. But it is right for a lady to marry a Single dad.

Nigerian parents need to lecture their male child very well, they've failed in that aspect.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 08, 2021
Op Avk666 you are making a mistake you would definitely regret

The boy would always gravitate to his father in the future, thank you no go reach you

The father might have issues birthing tomorrow, he would definitely come for his son, first son for that matter

The woman that is rubbing your head today was once the toy of the previous man, not even marriage guarantees she won't continue on her established history

To me i would dump both the woman and the boy, start with a fresh girl without multiple luggages

Na man dey bring luggages give woman not the other way, the so called love shaking you can be gotten from another woman just like if the current one dies you would find another

3 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by frozen70(f): 1:19pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

I will advise you from general angle

You are going to be his step dad and not biological dad so for the time being, let him bear his own father's name or the woman's father's name but not your name

Because his father can cine out from no where

If he us bearing your wife name, it's safer that way

Unless the guy is willing to give you the right to do so then it has to be written and documented for future purposes

Just treat him as your son and sponsor him as your own child, that's all he needs from you irrespective of his name

It's difficult it's easy to adopt but difficult to change a child's name where his father is aware he has a child somewhere

My advice, let him bear your wife maiden name
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Burgerlomo: 1:21pm On May 08, 2021
cococandy:
The boys are pissed grin

Don't blame them my dear because someone somewhere is using their buddies head to play ping pong. grin
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by xtervaganza(m): 1:21pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

single mothers always manipulating innocent men into dungeon. How are you sure the child's father abandoned the baby? Or perhaps he was alienated. If you like adopt the child, by the time dem shoot you spiritual rubber the lady will leave you to find another willing simp

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ruthymoon(f): 1:24pm On May 08, 2021
grin
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by CioAngels(f): 1:24pm On May 08, 2021
It is a tall order to me. Your finance wants a responsible father figure for her son, who will blame her? I won't. The future risk is that, that irresponsible father of yesterday will shamefully come to fight you dirty to for his child. It is not denials that the child is his. It sound painful, you should train the child as yours for now because, I doubt if we have a very strong law to wrestle that child when it is established that the child's father is alive. Train him as us yours for now, but, no adoption. Let your would wife know you have to yourself and your family, which is her and the boy.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by YoungDaNaval(m): 1:25pm On May 08, 2021
mystery22:
Marry a single mother?
Lmfao
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Babyg0123: 1:26pm On May 08, 2021
Just marry her and take care of the boy. When he is old he won't forget you but he definitely will look for his real dad.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by richeme22: 1:27pm On May 08, 2021
I'm suspecting that you are cause of their separation? I believe you caused problem in their relationship and now you want to adopt the son. Be careful....
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by ivolt: 1:28pm On May 08, 2021
[quote author=pocohantas post=101477212]

It is foolhardy and against natural law and order to do such when the man is still alive, irrespective of how irresponsible she claims he is. I am very concerned that she suggested it and you considered it.

Th irresponsible man remains her child's father. She can get (sole) custody, but erasing the man’s name is WICKEDNESS.

DON’T DO IT!

Take care of the child like you would for your own and it should end there.

If this were the case. Adoption agencies won't exist because it is women who give up children for adoption.
The father is almost never in the picture with adoption. And this case mirrors an adoption closely.

[quote]
He is a sperm donor, agreed. My concern is the child. That child isn’t a property that she will keep transferring to any new man she is with. Before OP came along, the child had a name and it was fine.
This is even why they should go legal.
The "father" may show up in 5-10 years time and demand full custody of his child.
And with the Nigerian law, his request will be granted regardless of what the responsible parents have done.
The child currently has no father, so no transfer is taking place.
If they get divorced, then this new father still remains the father if he makes it legal, so no transfer is ever taking place.

They already have sole custody of the child, thanks to the irresponsible sperm donor- It should end there.
They have no custody of the child in the eyes of Nigerian law.
They are just caretaker who can be booted out at anytime by the sperm donor father.
As far as I know, it would require an extraordinary circumstance for a woman to legally get sole custody in Nigeria
because the child belongs to the father by default.
So your other suggestion is impractical.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Gokoyer0(m): 1:29pm On May 08, 2021
The point is that he doesn't need to adopt him legally before taking care of the child as his own. Simple as ABC. If the irresponsible sperm donor consent to legal adoption, then he can do that.

I have seen this kind of thing turned ugly for an acquaintance in the past.
Shokoloko:

Please where should the four year old child live?
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Burgerlomo: 1:29pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by BREYZ: 1:30pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So single ladies don finish? Don't come here crying fowl in the year 2022. Una no dey hear word, God will create and give you a simple life to live yet una dey complicate issues for una selves. You can marry her but forget about adopting her son because his dad will definitely come for him someday.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by A305: 1:31pm On May 08, 2021
cococandy:
actually..... You’re wrong. When you abandon your child, you lose privileges to them. Maybe the naija system is different but we do it here all the time.
Kids who’s biological moms and dads are alive get adopted when the parents are deemed incompetent to take care of them. The parents’ permission is neither needed nor sought.

They give up the rights when they abandon the kids.

As for OPs case, I’m sure he has gotten varying advice amongst which there’s good advice
The law in the US and the practice in Nigeria are different and therefore mutually exclusive.

Your opinion of adoption right works well over there in the U.S. doesn't mean it should be practiced here accordingly.

We are different!

Nigeria doesn't have such law indicating that — once a father abandons/neglect his kid(s) or role, then they can be given up for adoption without the father's consent.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Goldenklassy: 1:31pm On May 08, 2021
How does this relate to the thread...peruse well pls @ righteousness22
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by greggng: 1:32pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

That area is no go area ...even if the dad is dead , he has family or relatives ...concentrate on having your own child with her ..,except you are impotent ...what she is encouraging you to do will amount to criminality ...
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Babavictor1: 1:33pm On May 08, 2021
Well on my own opinion . I also have a baby mama . I do my best to pay d boys school fees and occasionally send money for clothing but when d lady is asked she claims she does everything for the boy that d father abandoned her and d baby . I once rescued her from an accident wc gulped close to 60k but her family forgot that. If a woman is good why did the man leave her . Some ladies leave cos they can't endure . My brother 100 yrs is not forever there will always be problem between ur kids and d boy . People know d story and will tell them. Just take care of the boy and don't adopt . D future no one knows has a lot .

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by MarketDispatch: 1:34pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

You can take care of your fiancees son without adopting him legally.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 1:35pm On May 08, 2021
[quote author=ivolt post=101491592][/quote]

There is nothing impractical about my advice. They should go for a legal (sole) custody of the child and leave it at that. EOD
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Cashio(m): 1:38pm On May 08, 2021
By the time the starts calling the boy bastard within the neighborhood and amongst his peers in school, no be person go tell make him find him root....
Adoption is usually better for female children..man go must always find his root.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by hybridblood07(m): 1:39pm On May 08, 2021
Is it a crime?
mystery22:
Marry a single mother?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Wives, What Would You Do When Your Husband Starts Beating You Up? / Nigerian Couple Celebrates 50th Wedding Anniversary In Style / What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.