Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,608 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Delta State Gubernatorial Elections - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Delta State Gubernatorial Elections (27955 Views)

Lesson Learnt From The Death Of Kogi State Gubernatorial Candidate Audu Abubakar / Kogi Gubernatorial Elections – Live Updates #KogiDecides / Lagos Gubernatorial Elections Collation Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by monkeyleg: 6:54pm On May 02, 2011
@Prints,

did you ever find out from your towns people why they voted PDP, because I find it insulting to everyone in Delta state, when someone actually suggests that proper elections actually do take place. PDP's success has very little to do with spread, more to do with electorial fraud. I seriously doubt that PDP has done anything of note in Aniocha to warrant electorial success
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by prints(m): 8:29pm On May 02, 2011
@Monkeyleg: Sometimes I cry seeing the kinda ppl who actually win elections in 9ja but the reality is that once I saw ppl actually voting for PDP even when the ACN canditate (Okocha) was from that area, I lost hope. The common saying in Aniocha is that whenever the Urhobos are in charge, they never remember that part of the state. Dr Emma may not have done much in our eyes but alot of these folks down there prefer the lil he and Ibori has done compared to nothing when the other guys where in power, I am sure u realise the Urhobos didnt like Ibori as well cos he diversified the lil development he did all over the state. Those in Delta central can cry all they want about rigging but as long as Delta North and Delta South senatorial districts keep working together an Urhobo man would struggle to be governor cos he can only rig in one district of 8 LGAs. Delta North plus South gives a combined 17 LGAs (correct me if i am wrong).

Considering the ethnicity problems of 9ja, I would think we are a long way from getting our acts together. I rili wish Dr. Kraga had won the 1999 elections then but some old fellas (and I mean all the prominent Urhobo chiefs and Clark) went ahead to support Ibori. They should all leave Dr Emma alone. Just becos these Ibori and Dr Emma decided to stand toe to toe with them does not make them saints. They (Elders statesmen) started the mess you see in Delta state today.
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by monkeyleg: 9:26pm On May 02, 2011
@Prints,

I do not doubt that there are inner workings in Delta state that you and I dont see. However i am not convinced when it come to Emmanuel. Uduaghan has had ample opportunity to lead delta state properly, but has failed in all the chances given to him. even if we have to go by the minority tribe theory, has he really done well for his tribe? i always say this, good governance knows no tribe. If Uduaghan had applied himself in the right way, he would have won the sympathy of everyone including the Urhobos, but what has he really done for us in Delta North? Absolutely nothing.
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by prints(m): 10:17pm On May 02, 2011
monkeyleg:

@Prints,

I do not doubt that there are inner workings in Delta state that you and I dont see. However i am not convinced when it come to Emmanuel. Uduaghan has had ample opportunity to lead delta state properly, but has failed in all the chances given to him. even if we have to go by the minority tribe theory, has he really done well for his tribe? i always say this, good governance knows no tribe. If Uduaghan had applied himself in the right way, he would have won the sympathy of everyone including the Urhobos, but what has he really done for us in Delta North? Absolutely nothing.

I wish all Deltans reasoned like you, Delta state would have being a better place for all. However, let me bring to your notice that the ill feelings shown towards the guba election results is only seen in most parts of Urhrobo land. Delta north seems to be very contended with Dr Emma and arent protesting, I am not sure about the South since I do not reside in 9ja for some time now but I dont think they are complaining much except for the Isokos. Tribalism would continue to trail elections in 9ja and Delta state. The refusal of past leaders to educate the citizens of Nigeria has left 9ja in deep shit. I remember telling my Physics teacher back in 1999 when they zoned the presidency(tribalism at play again) and favoured OBJ over Ekueme that 9ja was heading for trouble in 2015 and this was without Jona in the equation, I was in SS2 then and I saw that problem. How did our so called leaders miss it then? Even a young boy like me could do the maths and came up with a big question mark on 2015 then, yet these good for nothing PDP guys didnt consider it. Now u tell me how such dumb niggas can ever govern properly when they are blinded by ethnicity and religion?
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by monkeyleg: 11:11am On May 03, 2011
@Prints,
Firstly, I am glad that the younger generation (like you) are taking a keen interest in politics. It is important that the good fight continues.

Right, most of the people in Delta North are not shouting as loud as they should for 2 possible reasons

1: They are under the illusion that come 2015, the Governorship will be handed over to them (Our turn don reach)
2: They are hoping that way before 2015, Anioma state will be created.

In my understanding and from numerous discussions, these are the cards they are hoping to play.

From my assessment, the latter is probably a more credible reason, though the chances of that happening are debateable.
For point 1 however, I fault it to the core. I dont see why we from Delta north should play lazy politics. It serevs no one. There is no guarantee from PDP or whoever that point 1 will actually happen, but more importantly, why wait for your turn before we get good governance? The simple reason why people are crying fowl, is because of the level of bad leadership everyone in the state has been put under, irrespective of tribe
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by prints(m): 11:36am On May 03, 2011
@Monkeyleg: I dont think zoning should have being encouraged in the first place at any level. In 1999 I expected the constitution to be reviewed and that 9ja started practising true federalism with lil emphasis on the power at the centre (ABJ). These good for nothing politicians simply chose an option that suited them then and do not know hw to solve that issue.

Back to the issue of Delta state, I think someone from Delta north could be governor if he has the support of those from the south and integrates well with the power brokers from that region without hoping on zoning. I would have loved to see ppl like Evweredo be governor of Delta state cos he is young, intelligent and very careful with his dealings.

I personally do not care where the governor of Delta state comes from but I dont feel Ogboru at all. Do you seriously believe that if he became governor his 1st point of duty wont be to recoup the purse (his or whoever has being sponsoring him) he has being using to fund all these elections he has lost so far (4 elections now and still counting) and the law suits that followed them?
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by monkeyleg: 1:55pm On May 03, 2011
@Prints,

I wouldnt say that zoning was the default option, well I think so, however what has happend here is that due to the failure of successive governments, those who have been in-charged have used tribal sentiments to divide us. I say this as someone from the northern part of delta, but grew up in the south, and it was never an issue.

Yes, I do accept that Pius Ewherido would have had a good outing especially with special relationship with the masses at large. I know his family quite well, and he is seen as the peoples person, young and would have entertained positive ideas.

Great on the other hand is not that bad. I believe that he would have been someone, the progressive amongst us would have been able to work with. He is not a closed shop like Emmanuel, whose Greed is beyond belief. That said, I have since learnt that in politics in Nigeria at large, you can never really hold brief for anyone, most go there with thier own agenda
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by prints(m): 2:20pm On May 03, 2011
@Monkeyleg:

You ve spoken very well. I happen to come from the Aniocha north but was born and brought up in Warri. My family still resides in Warri and i am married to an Isoko lady and i do not see any difference amongst we Deltans. Its shame that 9ja and detoriated to its current situation.
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by monkeyleg: 2:39pm On May 03, 2011
@Prints,

I have passionately been involved in politics, especially that of delta state, as I believe effective politics is practiced locally. Lagos state is a good example. I evern toyed with the idea of running for office, was encouraged by members of my family, but my inner family frowned against it, for very good reasons, which is playing out for all to see. I was very much aware of your Uncles ambition as well.
What i have chosen to do, post 2011 elections, is to be more of a silent observer. I have seen money turn honest people into grand thieves. I will play my part when I can, especially for the innocent and ill treated amongst us, that is the best I can do.

If we do end up having a decent governor some day, then that will be good, but if Anioma state comes first, then I will take that as well. I have just come to accept that the depth of the rut within our society is unimagineable
Re: Delta State Gubernatorial Elections by polokor60(m): 11:51pm On May 04, 2011
@ monkeyleg and print,it's good to ve progressive minds like u on this forum.corruption remains the problem of delta state irrespective of the ethnic of group.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation / Prince Ademola Adeniji-Adele Burial In Pictures / Zamfara Residents Kidnap Bandits’ Wives In Retaliation For Abduction Of Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.