Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30993 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 5:14pm On Jan 07, 2022
Shiver99:
A torch, allegedly.

For lighting rooms and houses.

You know what they used for fuel, and how they lit fires back then?

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 07, 2022
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas

They were so civilized that that had no single empire. Remove your mask.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 7:19pm On Jan 07, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

They were so civilized that that had no single empire. Remove your mask.

Lol!
Was there any empire in Nigeria?
Ndiigbo were democrats.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 7:23pm On Jan 07, 2022
In 1935, G. I. Jones, an anthropoligist and colonial administrator took pictures of the Nsude pyramids, ancient Igbo pyramids, in Udi, Enugu state Nigeria with a Roloflex camera which he acquired and developed a system for immediate developing which produced negatives of such high quality that they continue to produce excellent prints six decades later. It was at this time that he built up the extraordinary photographic record of Southeastern Nigerian culture.

The pyramids, numbering 10 in number are circular and stepped and were made of clay.

Here are pictures of the pyramids:

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 1:01am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:
In 1935, G. I. Jones, an anthropoligist and colonial administrator took pictures of the Nsude pyramids, ancient Igbo pyramids, in Udi, Enugu state Nigeria with a Roloflex camera which he acquired and developed a system for immediate developing which produced negatives of such high quality that they continue to produce excellent prints six decades later. It was at this time that he built up the extraordinary photographic record of Southeastern Nigerian culture.

The pyramids, numbering 10 in number are circular and stepped and were made of clay.

Here are pictures of the pyramids:

I wish there had been a widespread use of more durable building materials back then. That way, those pyramids might still be standing till today...like the ones in Egypt built more than 3,000 years ago!

You know the specific purpose of the Nsude pyramids?

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 5:22am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

Lol!
Was there any empire in Nigeria?
Ndiigbo were democrats.

Yeebos don't cease to amaze me. Did you just ask whether there were empires in Nigeria?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 8:06am On Jan 08, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

Yeebos don't cease to amaze me. Did you just ask whether there were empires in Nigeria?

Yes. I asked. Was there any?
I mean empire not mushroom local kingdoms masquerading as empires that the British sacked within days. grin
Now answer me, was there any empire in Nigeria?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 8:06am On Jan 08, 2022
IGBOSON1:

I wish there had been a widespread use of more durable building materials back then. That way, those pyramids might still be standing till today...like the ones in Egypt built more than 3,000 years ago!

You know the specific purpose of the Nsude pyramids?

No one really knows. Just as no one really knows what Egyptian pyramids were for.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 8:30am On Jan 08, 2022
I noticed groups who never had Indigenous cloth making, and had to depend on Mohammadians bringing "Konkosa" ( that's what we call Agbada and Babariga in Igbo) to them, talking about Igbo civilization not having clothing.

Let it be known that just as the Igbo are the most advanced black race in terms of metallurgy in the area called Nigeria in precolonial era, so were we in clothing weaving.
Akwete became the most famous cloth weaving centre in Igboland, just like Awka became the most black smiths, but as a matter of fact, there were hundreds of cloth weaving centres scattered all over Igbo interior in precolonial area, and the quality and quantity of their products were unmatched by those from elsewhere outside Igboland and within the area we call Nigeria

Willam Balfour Baike was in Igboland in 1850s, and this is what he had to say about Igbo textile industry.
He actually called our products "Fancy clothes".
Do you blame him, the clothes were so beautiful and elegant that he had to use that choice of word.
If we never wore our fancy clothes everyday in such a way to cover every part of our body, it's because of our hot and humid rainforest which wasn't compatible with heavy clothing.

9 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 8:36am On Jan 08, 2022
There is this precolonial picture of Igboland I once stumbled somewhere, where the people created a layered (stratified) viewing/sitting stands in the community Ilo/ama, where spectators sat to watch the local wrestling tournaments or even during community gathering for meetings.

I have been searching for that picture with no success for days now.
I was proud our ancestors thought of such innovation.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by nku5: 8:54am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

Let it be known that just as the Igbo are the most advanced black race in terms of metallurgy in the area called Nigeria in precolonial era, so were we in clothing weaving.

Akwete became the most famous cloth weaving centre in Igboland, just like Awka became the most black smiths, but as a matter of fact, there were hundreds of cloth weaving centres scattered all over Igbo interior in precolonial area, and the quality and quantity of their products were unmatched by those from elsewhere.

Awka metal workers were in high demand even outside Igbo land. The Benin kingdom's demand for their high quality weapons made many of them very rich

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 9:12am On Jan 08, 2022
nku5:

Awka metal workers were in high demand even outside Igbo land. The Benin kingdom's demand for their high quality weapons made many of them very rich

Yes. But they were not the only blacksmiths in Igboland.
They were just the most popular. There were Nkwerre, Ehugbo, Agbaja(Okpogho town), etc blacksmith centres in Igboland too.
Awka was just the finnest and most travelled.

6 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by nku5: 9:29am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

Yes. But they were not the only blacksmiths in Igboland.
They were just the most popular. There were Nkwerre, Ehugbo, Agbaja(Okpogho town), etc blacksmith centres in Igboland too.
Awka was just the finnest and most travelled.

Wow. Interesting
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 10:57am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

No one really knows. Just as no one really knows what Egyptian pyramids were for.

The purpose of the Egyptian pyramids are known.....they were built as a resting place for the great Pharaohs of Egypt. Egyptians believed in the afterlife, so they built these huge monuments and buried their dead kings there as well as stocked the tombs lavisly with their expensive belongings like gold, apparels, chariots, etc. Unfortunately, they've been plundered by tomb raiders over the past centuries.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 10:58am On Jan 08, 2022
IGBOSON1:

The purpose of the Egyptian pyramids are known.....they were built as a resting place for the great Pharaohs of Egypt. Egyptians believed in the afterlife, so they built these huge monuments and buried their dead kings there as well as stocked the tombs lavisly with their expensive belongings like gold, apparels, chariots, etc. Unfortunately, they've been plundered by tomb raiders over the past centuries.

These are only theories.
No one knew for sure why those pyramids were built.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 11:01am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

These are only theories.
No one knew for sure why those pyramids were built.

The burial chambers within the pyramids are still there to this day....just empty.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

Yes. I asked. Was there any?
I mean empire not mushroom local kingdoms masquerading as empires that the British sacked within days. grin
Now answer me, was there any empire in Nigeria?

I know you can't read (except the inscriptions on a gala carton), but get one of the little elementary boys in your area to get a history book on Nigeria. If you're attentive enough you should hear him read out things like the Oyo Empire, Sokoto Caliphate, Bornu Empire, Benin Empire etc. Though you may still not understand because during those period Igbo ancestors were still wearing palm f**king fronds and hopping from tree to tree.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 11:24am On Jan 08, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

I know you can't read (except the inscriptions on a gala carton), but get one of the little elementary boys in your area to get a history book on Nigeria. If you're attentive enough you should hear him read out things like the Oyo Empire, Sokoto Caliphate, Bornu Empire, Benin Empire etc. Though you may still not understand because during those period Igbo ancestors were still wearing palm f**king fronds and hopping from tree to tree.

Those were mushroom kingdoms disguising as empires.
Who did they defeat?

Oyo empire was ransacked by Nupe people, Oyo ile was seized and have become Nupeland ever since then.

All Yorubas went to British to beg them to colonize you just to free yourselves from senseless Kiriji fights you were having with yourselves. You were so pathetic you couldn't master the simple act of conflict resolution among yourself that you resorted to submitting to British colonialism willfully to save yourself from yourselves.

Sokoto and Bornu were easily brought under British control. Is that one an empire? grin

Bini was ransacked and raised to ground with Oba hounded like a common thief to Calabar just in a matter of 5 days.

And these are what you call empires?

My Igbo ancestors were teaching your Yoruba ancestors superior metallurgy skills.
Our clothing industry was so superior that William Balfour called our clothes "Fancy clothes", whereas you needed Portuguese and Mohammedians to supply you with clothes.

Ndiigbo both mounted the fiercest and most sustained resistance to British colonialism in this area called Nigeria today.
Be they the Enu-anis, the Aros and allies, the Ezza, etc.

You are not Igbo match Biko. When we speak, you should sit down and take notes.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 11:26am On Jan 08, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

Don't know why your bigoted and hateful self is on this thread? Why don't you fck off!

Care to tell us the challenge any of these so called 'empires' put up against the invading colonialists and slave hunters? Or they're 'empire' in name only and their 'power' only stopped at invading and bullying smaller neighbours? We know of some achievements of the Benin influence....even as far as to Eko. Care to tell us what the Oyo, Sokoto and Bornu 'empires' achieved....that is besides engaging in needless fights and bullying/enslaving weaker neighbours?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Akudaisi: 12:01pm On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

most pyramids are for traditional worshipping/rites.
But the Spinx of Giza is wireless electricity
https://www.godelectric.org/pyramids
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 08, 2022
IGBOSON1:

Don't know why your bigoted and hateful self is on this thread? Why don't you fck off!

[b]Care to tell us the challenge any of these so called 'empires' put up against the invading colonialists and slave hunters? [/b]Or they're 'empire' in name only and their 'power' only stopped at invading and bullying smaller neighbours?

You're even worse than I thought. Your logic; Care to tell us the challenge the Babylonian Empire put up against the invading Persians? Therefore, there was no Babylonian Empire. Smh. I've been wasting my time.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

Those were mushroom kingdoms disguising as empires.
Who did they defeat?

Oyo empire was ransacked by Nupe people, Oyo ile was seized and have become Nupeland ever since then.

All Yorubas went to British to beg them to colonize you just to free yourselves from senseless Kiriji fights you were having with yourselves. You were so pathetic you couldn't master the simple act of conflict resolution among yourself that you resorted to submitting to British colonialism willfully to save yourself from yourselves.

Sokoto and Bornu were easily brought under British control. Is that one an empire? grin

Bini was ransacked and raised to ground with Oba hounded like a common thief to Calabar just in a matter of 5 days.

And these are what you call empires?

My Igbo ancestors were teaching your Yoruba ancestors superior metallurgy skills.
Our clothing industry was so superior that William Balfour called our clothes "Fancy clothes", whereas you needed Portuguese and Mohammedians to supply you with clothes.

Ndiigbo both mounted the fiercest and most sustained resistance to British colonialism in this area called Nigeria today.
Be they the Enu-anis, the Aros and allies, the Ezza, etc.

You are not Igbo match Biko. When we speak, you should sit down and take notes.

Describing yourself as Igbo...in many sentences.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
The Eboes never evolved any kind of political administration beyond village level umunna politics
That is why it was easy for smaller groups to dominate , hunt and sell them as slaves for centuries

Many parrot egalitarian nonsense forgeting that there are monarchical orders in Onitsha, Oguta , Aro to name a few.
They claim to be democrats but they are not . Eboe society is organized to favor the rich
A small boy with money can but the highest titles in the land and order his elders to be flogged if they provoke him
Slavery was common so how can a society with slavery claim to be egalitarian. How can a society with Osus claim to be egalitarian
This claim of egalitarianism is another manifestation of Eboe narcissism; a tendency to see themselves as lions when others see them for the pussycat that they really are
The Aro were enslaved by the Akamkpa who established a ruling dynasty that is present till today. Aros are ruled by an externally derived dynasty. The Akamkpa were more civilized and introduced Nsibidi and the Ekpe secret society

Others had their share of the IEboe slave market. The Ijaaws, Efiks and even itsekiri all had a share of the Eboe slave pie

This umunna psychology persists among most Eboes till tomorrow

The people that call themselves Eboes today had little contact historically and many are just descendants of ahuge population of slaves freed by Ijaws and Efiks when the slave trade ended
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Igboid: 3:34pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
The Eboes never evolved any kind of political administration beyond village level umunna politics
That is why it was easy for smaller groups to dominate , hunt and sell them as slaves for centuries

Many parrot egalitarian nonsense forgeting that there are monarchical orders in Onitsha, Oguta , Aro to name a few.
They claim to be democrats but they are not . Eboe society is organized to favor the rich
A small boy with money can but the highest titles in the land and order his elders to be flogged if they provoke him
Slavery was common so how can a society with slavery claim to be egalitarian. How can a society with Osus claim to be egalitarian
This claim of egalitarianism is another manifestation of Eboe narcissism; a tendency to see themselves as lions when others see them for the pussycat that they really are
The Aro were enslaved by the Akamkpa who established a ruling dynasty that is present till today. Aros are ruled by an externally derived dynasty. The Akamkpa were more civilized and introduced Nsibidi and the Ekpe secret society

Others had their share of the IEboe slave market. The Ijaaws, Efiks and even itsekiri all had a share of the Eboe slave pie

This umunna psychology persists among most Eboes till tomorrow

The people that call themselves Eboes today had little contact historically and many are just descendants of ahuge population of slaves freed by Ijaws and Efiks when the slave trade ended

The Ezes in Aro and Onitsha or Oguta are not Kings in the sense of King with a Kingdom who owes the land.
They were mostly Representatives of the Court which was made up titled men.
This is why the title of Eze in places where titular heads exist in Igboland is called Obi, which means COURT! They are representing the Court and have no land except those they share with their Umunna. Land in Igboland belongs to Umunna and a king have no control over lands. So where is the Kingdom?

No stupid none Igbo dare Cross Igboland and went Scot free, so I wonder which group you said hunted Igbos for slave.
The slave hunters in Igboland were the Abam, Edda, Ohafia who worked for the Aros. And they were and are all Igbo speaking Indigenous groups as well.

The Igbo society is egalitarian in that a man dies with his titles and cannot pass it off to the children.
The children must build their own reputation to earn titles built on purity or wealth to build one given on wealth.
There were no aristocrats. A child of a poor man can aspire to be among the titled men of the society and achieve it if he is hardworking enough or demonstrate uprightness, purity and wisdom.

You keep parroting the senseless Akamkpa story you manufactured out of your ass. Are you okay at all? No such thing in Aro.
Aro call themselves "Oke Igbo" (greatest of Igbos) and have been Igbo since the beginning of time.

Umunna is the basic unit of Igbo society, the real strength of Igbo spirit. It's the force behind our democratic tenets and aspirations as a people.

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 3:37pm On Jan 08, 2022
Igboid:

The Ezes in Aro and Onitsha or Oguta are not Kings in the sense of King with a Kingdom who owes the land.
They were mostly Representatives of the Court which was made up titled men.
This is why the title of Eze in places where titular heads exist in Igboland is called Obi, which means COURT! They are representing the Court and have no land except those they share with their Umunna. Land in Igboland belongs to Umunna and a king have no control over lands. So where is the Kingdom?

No stupid none Igbo dare Cross Igboland and went Scot free, so I wonder which group you said hunted Igbos for slave.
The slave hunters in Igboland were the Abam, Edda, Ohafia who worked for the Aros. And they were and are all Igbo speaking Indigenous groups as well.

The Igbo society is egalitarian in that a man dies with his titles and cannot pass it off to the children.
The children must build their own reputation to earn titles built on purity or wealth to build one given on wealth.
There were no aristocrats. A child of a poor man can aspire to be among the titled men of the society and achieve it if he is hardworking enough or demonstrate uprightness, purity and wisdom.

You keep parroting the senseless Akamkpa story you manufactured out of your ass. Are you okay at all? No such thing in Aro.
Aro call themselves "Oke Igbo" (greatest of Igbos) and have been Igbo since the beginning of time.

Umunna is the basic unit of Igbo society, the real strength of Igbo spirit. It's the force behind our democratic tenets and aspirations as a people.
You will always have an alibi and excuse.
There s nothing egalitarian about Eboe society
You worship money as a god
What is egalitarian about the OSu caste system
Do Osus inherit Osu status?
Was there no slavery in Eboe society? How is that egalitarian
What role do women have in Eboe society? Egalitarianism does not extend to women?
Can women inherit from their fathers land?

Stop kidding yourself

Umunna is not egalitarian it is misogynistic
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KosiGee(m): 3:59pm On Jan 08, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

It might interest you to know that the gate at Buckingham palace was a work of art done by the Awka iron smiths

I know this information has been circulating online but please be mindful of disseminating false information. The Buckingham palace gate was not designed by Awka blacksmiths.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 4:08pm On Jan 08, 2022
KosiGee:

I know this information has been circulating online but please be mindful of disseminating false information. The Buckingham palace gate was not designed by Awka blacksmiths.
When it comes to EBoes truth does not matter just concoct any fiction and it becomes their reality
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

You will always have an alibi and excuse.
There s nothing egalitarian about Eboe society
You worship money as a god
What is egalitarian about the OSu caste system
Do Osus inherit Osu status?
Was there no slavery in Eboe society? How is that egalitarian
What role do women have in Eboe society? Egalitarianism does not extend to women?
Can women inherit from their fathers land?

Stop kidding yourself

Umunna is not egalitarian it is misogynistic
There is a political arm in the ancient Igbo Democracy called Umuada.
It is run by women. They participate in setting and reviewing laws in the society.

Now, to the misogyny allegations and caste system.
One of the prominent misogynistic culture in Nigeria is Yoruba.
Can you answer me these questions.

1. Why is it that a woman cannot be the Ooni of Ife?
2. Why is it that the only woman to be monarch in contemporary Yorubaland has conditions to be celibate why her male counterparts can marry as many wives as they like?
3. Why is it there are sections of the Yoruba community a female indigene dares not go close?

On the issues of segregation and caste system.
1. Why is it that not every family can become king in their own ancestral land?
2. Why is it that Yoruba titles are not borne out of merit but reserved for special families?
3. Why is it that a yoruba man is limited to the level of honour he can get from his own community due to circumstances of his birth?
4. Why are some families designated as unfit for equal treatment and some designated as sacrificial entities called "Abobaku"

These are just few of the over 20 questions on equality, caste and victim of birth circumstances in Yorubaland. Care to explain?

6 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KosiGee(m): 4:31pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
When it comes to EBoes truth does not matter just concoct any fiction and it becomes their reality

I am an Igbo man and I am proud of my ancestry and heritage. We are not liars. I have noticed that the Buckingham palace gate design/forging were being credited to some Awka blacksmiths. The two talented black smiths might have done some work while they were in England but the Buckingham palace gate is definitely not their work.
I know you’ve come here to derail this beautiful thread. You have failed and will continue to fail.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

There is a political arm in the ancient Igbo Democracy called Umuada.
It is run by women. They participate in setting and reviewing laws in the society.

Now, to the misogyny allegations and caste system.
One of the prominent misogynistic culture in Nigeria is Yoruba.
Can you answer me these questions.

1. Why is it that a woman cannot be the Ooni of Ife?
2. Why is it that the only woman to be monarch in contemporary Yorubaland has conditions to be celibate why her male counterparts can marry as many wives as they like?
3. Why is it there are sections of the Yoruba community a female indigene dares not go close?

On the issues of segregation and caste system.
1. Why is it that not every family can become king in their own ancestral land?
2. Why is it that Yoruba titles are not borne out of merit but reserved for special families?
3. Why is it that a yoruba man is limited to the level of honour he can get from his own community due to circumstances of his birth?
4. Why are some families designated as unfit for equal treatment and some designated as sacrificial entities called "Abobaku"

These are just few of the over 20 questions on equality, caste and victim of birth circumstances in Yorubaland. Care to explain?

When you are losing the argument or run out of ideas change to attacking others. The same tired tactics
We are not discussing Yorubas here. YOU are the ones claiming egalitarian NOT Yoruba
Yoruba do not deceive themselves claiming egalitarian

We are just letting you know that that egalitarian story is bullshitt

Leave that umuada story
Can women inherit land in Eboe land?
Can you talk of Egalitarianism and OSU ISM in the same space?
Was there slavery and indented labour in traditional Eboe society?

Women have no say in Eboe society just like in Feudal Northern Nigeria NO DIFFERENCE

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2022
KosiGee:

I am an Igbo man and I am proud of my ancestry and heritage. We are not liars. I have noticed that the Buckingham palace gate design/forging were being credited to some Awka blacksmiths. The two talented black smiths might have done some work while they were in England but the Buckingham palace gate is definitely not their work.
I know you’ve come here to derail this beautiful thread. You have failed and will continue to fail.
Many of you are liars.In saying that I am being polite

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply)

Fueling Uncertainty:investigating Nigeria's Subsidy Removal And Dangote Refinery / How Fulani Herdsmen Cut My Head With Matchet- Onyebuchie / Ammunition Recovered From A Residential Area In Borno. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.