Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (31011 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:44am On Dec 31, 2021
You can honestly create a fresh new thread just on Igbo clothing alone. I am still torn on whether I should. Their patterns were amazing and the dyes that they used had been noted to last for decades

Look at the beauty...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:45am On Dec 31, 2021
More Igbo clothing fabric

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:47am On Dec 31, 2021
More...

And these textiles only represent southern Igbo clothing options, which is just a small fraction of the various fabrics that exist across Igboland.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:47am On Dec 31, 2021
Colonial exhibit of predominantly Igbo wares

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:06pm On Dec 31, 2021
Entrance to Igbo compound

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by CovenHighPriest: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thread is back, bless you bro

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Donmobi(m): 12:43pm On Dec 31, 2021
I love this!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:20am On Jan 01, 2022
Igbo women were known for their elaborate and elegant coiffures. It was a distinct trait.
To the point that foreigners such as colonials, could easily identify Igbo women, even in diaspora settlements outside Igboland because of their hairstyles.

Some hairstyles of Igbo women

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:22am On Jan 01, 2022
Their diverse hairstyles were often more distinct because many women in the niger delta wore shorn hair or other rather simple styles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:23am On Jan 01, 2022

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:25am On Jan 01, 2022
more

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ThickSharon123(f): 1:08am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
More...

Most of these houses look Egyptian, and what fascinates me is the drawings on the wall which I believe depicted something to the owner.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ThickSharon123(f): 1:13am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
Much like the people of the orient, Igbos loved their carpets and matting, and you could see these artistic pieces across an Igbo house.

They used matting to cover the floor, furniture or even hang on walls.

This mat is still big business today. I'm also an interior decorator, I'm planning to make an Igbo ancient interior masterpiece, this would be helpful for my next project.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ThickSharon123(f): 1:16am On Jan 01, 2022
This thread is worth the front page

Seun and Lalasticala

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by omoharry(f): 1:53am On Jan 01, 2022
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas
in the world or the southern part of Nigeria? World ke !!
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 2:01am On Jan 01, 2022
Recovered pieces of cloth. Different textile styles from various parts of Igboland...

Igboland had many developed cloth manufacturing centers, and clothing and textiles were one of their chief exports. Due to this, they were less eager to adopt European exports than some of their neighbors.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 4:23am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
Some more tobacco pipes...

A pastime of much of the populace

Did they use what we presently know as utaba for those pipes in the olden days?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 4:29am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
Recovered pieces of cloth. Different textile styles from various parts of Igboland...

Igboland had many developed cloth manufacturing centers, and clothing and textiles were one of their chief exports. Due to this, they were less eager to adopt European exports than some of their neighbors.

I hope there’s a book showcasing all these wonderful ancient Igbo achievements and way of life. And it should be part of the curriculum for Igbo studies in secondary schools in Igboland. This would help engender in our youths a sense of pride and awareness of what we’ve achieved in the past and where we came from.

6 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 4:39am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
Musical instruments

Igbos really loved thumb pianos...

Ah....i remember the distinct sound those thumb-pianos make! Their sound typifies Igbo music of a bygone era! The Efik/Ibibio are known for the one they use wood to make. Any Efik/Ibibio can help us with the name of that instrument. You normally see kids using them to bang out tunes!

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IGBOSON1: 4:42am On Jan 01, 2022
Shiver99:
Common scarves...

Ichafu! Reminds me of Mum! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by hakeemhakeem(m): 6:41am On Jan 01, 2022
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas

Mention your great grandfather Royal house in ilasha

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Pentagon007: 7:11am On Jan 02, 2022
This thread is historical archive. It deserves Front page. Lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:52pm On Jan 07, 2022
Igbos were by far one of the most, if not the most obvious obstacle to the British onslaught.

The most advanced British forces amassed in Nigeria was used to invade Igbo territories and still Igboland took several decades to be put under the control of the British.

For instance, the aro expedition described below, which was the largest and most advanced military expedition in southern Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2022
However, for the British that wasn't the end of it. Colonising forces soon found out that the headache that they had with the aro and their allies was only a fraction of the resistance they would face in Igboland.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2022
Despite the fact that the British clearly held all the cards.

They had advanced weaponry like proto-machine guns and gunboats while Igbos had traditional weapons and outdated rifles (which were rather usless in forest domain outside of hunting),
they had experience in forest warfare while igbos had no experience with European conventional warfare,
they had African soldiers and African allies on their side (including Igbo christians and igbos of different groups) while resisting Igbos had themselves and a few allies.

Yet, Igbos were still able to adapt and hold a resistance for decades.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2022
By the end of it all, when colonisers had subdued the local populace, they went on a 'de-arming' campaign. To get rid of any fire-arms that Igbos could use to resist the invaders.

Throughout their military expeditions, they recovered thousands upon thousands of guns, that Igbos were forced to give up. This confirms the statement of one British traveler when visiting an Igbo town, that the men were armed to the teeth with rifles, bows, swords, etc, etc.

No wonder Nnamdi Azikiwe said that Igbos were a race that had never been colonised (of course prior to British invasion ).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2022
Igbo towns consisted of a heavily armed populace, which made it a poor choice for invasion from other tribes.

A European description of an Igbo town (Ngwa).

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IduNaOba: 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2022
Shiver99:
You can honestly create a fresh new thread just on Igbo clothing alone. I am still torn on whether I should. Their patterns were amazing and the dyes that they used had been noted to last for decades

Look at the beauty...
I sell these
Hand made akwete
Akwete = akwụ Ete
This in Igbo afa language is very deep.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IduNaOba: 4:41pm On Jan 07, 2022
Shiver99:
Entrance to Igbo compound
My grandfather had these walls even as recent as 2005 it's gone now though, replaced by block fences.

I wish it was still there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by IduNaOba: 4:42pm On Jan 07, 2022
As someone whose passion is igbo promotion and presevation I find this thread very delicious and educative

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2022
IduNaOba:

My grandfather had these walls even as recent as 2005 it's gone now though, replaced by block fences.

I wish it was still there.

I really hope that Igbos in the future revamp their clay/adobe architecture, much like the middle-easterners have done. Or the east asians with their bamboo architecture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2022
A torch, allegedly.

For lighting rooms and houses.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply)

DSS Opts For Propaganda Against Igboho, Kanu - The Nation / Photos: Fayose Distributes Rice, Chicken & Cash To Ekiti People / Jonathan, Buhari In Private Meeting In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.