Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,929 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30998 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 4:53pm On Jan 08, 2022
Women are treated exactly the same way in the Fulani enclave as they are in Eboe land

Not seen
Not heard
Second class
Marriage is essentially an ACQUISITION

like a camel or goat
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by CovenHighPriest: 4:59pm On Jan 08, 2022
The title of the thread is the way Igbos lived in the olden days, yet it is causing some people sleepless nights.
If you don't like the thread just skip, if you think your tribe history isn't discussed go ahead and create one for your people not roaming around this thread dropping shît like infested flies that if squashed will come again with a different monicker but the same default shítty settings that is noticed from a mile away.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:05pm On Jan 08, 2022
No lies
No revisionism
no repackaging of the history of barbarism and cannibalism
No laundering of the savage legacy
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KosiGee(m): 5:06pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
Many of you are liars.In saying that I am being polite

If you are not aware, this is just to remind you that trolling is no remedy for your misery and depressions.
Constituting nuisance online will only make your condition worse.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:09pm On Jan 08, 2022
KosiGee:

If you are not aware, this is just to remind you that trolling is no remedy for your misery and depressions.
Constituting nuisance online will only make your condition worse.
boring and dry
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:22pm On Jan 08, 2022
What s striking about your history is you cannot mention ONE NAME of an Eboe person of significance

NOT A SINGLE NAME

When pressed you will say olaudah Equiano

A slave of arguable origin is that not embarrassing?

Not a single person male or female of any significance who did anything of note INSIDE Eboeland
Your history is one of enslavement by Ijaw Itsekiri, Efik etc

keep quiet and stop making noise
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 5:41pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

When you are losing the argument or run out of ideas change to attacking others. The same tired tactics
We are not discussing Yorubas here. YOU are the ones claiming egalitarian NOT Yoruba
Yoruba do not deceive themselves claiming egalitarian

We are just letting you know that that egalitarian story is bullshitt

Leave that umuada story
Can women inherit land in Eboe land?
Can you talk of Egalitarianism and OSU ISM in the same space?
Was there slavery and indented labour in traditional Eboe society?

Women have no say in Eboe society just like in Feudal Northern Nigeria NO DIFFERENCE

You are the one that is losing here.

You can't bring my culture to the table for both of us to be analysing it while yours is hidden. You are ashamed of your own culture because of the injustice against her citizens and the misogyny associated with it.
So if I am to prove to you how egalitarian our culture is, I must use another for reference. Probably a proven one that is strict on women and commoners. That's where the questions on Yoruba unjust culture comes in.

Speaking of political equality in Igboland.
If you had known what Umuada is, you won't be asking how egalitarian Igbo culture is.
Of all the nations in Nigeria, its is few that their women participate in decision making of the community and Igbo is one of them. Yoruba is far from it.

Umuada is the opposite of Umunna in literal translation. Umuada is strictly for women as Umunna is strictly for men to ensure equality.
Both have specific roles they play in the society and one doesn't superimpose on the other.

Can the same be said for Yorubas?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:45pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

You can't bring my culture to the table for both of us to be analysing it while yours is hidden. You are ashamed of your own culture because of the injustice against her citizens and the misogyny associated with it.
So if I am to prove to you how egalitarian our culture is, I must use another for reference. Probably a proven one that is strict on women and commoners. That's where the questions on Yoruba unjust culture comes in.

Speaking of political equality in Igboland.
If you had known what Umuada is, you won't be asking how egalitarian Igbo culture is.
Of all the nations in Nigeria, its is few that their women participate in decision making of the community and Igbo is one of them. Yoruba is far from it.

Umuada is the opposite of Umunna in literal translation. Umuada is strictly for women as Umunna is strictly for men to ensure equality.
Both have specific roles they play in the society and one doesn't superimpose on the other.

Can the same be said for Yorubas?
Can women land inherit in Eboe land?
NO

Women did not own land in traditional Eboe society

When their husbands died we all know the story or washing the dead body,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OSU ism is not compatible with claims of egalitarianism
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 5:46pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
What s striking about your history is you cannot mention ONE NAME of an Eboe person of significance

NOT A SINGLE NAME

When pressed you will say olaudah Equiano

A slave of arguable origin is that not embarrassing?

Not a single person male or female of any significance who did anything of note INSIDE Eboeland
Your history is one of enslavement by Ijaw Itsekiri, Efik etc

keep quiet and stop making noise
The only people with history of enslavement is Yoruba.
Prior to the christening of "Hausa Banza" which was the term you people were referred to by the civilised Huasa people, the modern day Yorubas were categorised as uncivilised people down south of Hausa land who were raided by Nupe and Jukun for further enslavement in Kano.

Kano was a city that at her zenith comprised of 60% slaves of which 40 out of the 60 is Yoruba.
The history of Yoruba in Nigeria can be demarcated into four.

1. Their enslavement by Hausa. Hausa later sold them off to the Arab world via trans-Saharan slave trade.
2. Their enslavement by Nupe and Jukun.
3. Their civilisation by Fulani.
4. The trans-Altlantic slave hunt. Hunt because unlike others, that of Yoruba wasn't really a trade.

The third was the last before the British took over. The remnants of their civilisation by the Fulani can be seen in their Aso oké, baban Riga and the official dressing of the Alaafin of Oyo which is a female Fulani dressing

Don't confuse your history with Ndigbo.
Ndigbo were never enslaved by any black.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

Can women land inherit in Eboe land

Our women marry, not stay at home (the fathers house) and breed like yours.
Unlike you people then, we have morals

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

The only people with history of enslavement is Yoruba.
Prior to the christening of "Hausa Banza" which was the term you people were referred to by the civilised Huasa people, the modern day Yorubas were categorised as uncivilised people down south of Hausa land who were raided by Nupe and Jukun for further enslavement in Kano.

Kano was a city that at her zenith comprised of 60% slaves of which 40 out of the 60 is Yoruba.
The history of Yoruba in Nigeria can be demarcated into three.

1. Their enslavement by Hausa.
2. Their enslavement by Nupe and Jukun.
3. Their civilisation by Fulani.

The third was the last before the British took over. The remnants of their civilisation by the Fulani can be seen in their Aso oké, baban Riga and the official dressing of the Alaafin of Oyo which is a female Fulani dressing

Don't confuse your history with Ndigbo.
Ndigbo were never enslaved by any black.

Let us ask Reno Omokri
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 5:50pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

Let us ask Reno Omokri
Ask him.

Before that, can you tell us why your people were categorised as Hausa Banza for centuries?

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:51pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

Our women marry, not stay at home (the fathers house) and breed like yours.
Unlike you people then, we have morals
We are discussing egalitarianism

Focus
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:53pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

Ask him.

Before that, can you tell us why your people were categorised as Hausa Banza for centuries?
Not relevant

Won't work

Stick to the topic
Do not change the subject unless you admit you have lost the argument
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:55pm On Jan 08, 2022
all that egalitarian talk is self deception
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Donmobi(m): 5:56pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
We are discussing egalitarianism

Focus
Constituting nuisance online will only make your condition worse. sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
I told you that unlike your uncultured women that breed in their fathers house, ancient Igbo women marry.

They had established marriage system where the lady inherits what she would from her father at her marriage day.
She then later inherits her mother after her death.

Did you hear inherit her mother?
Unlike your uncultured and none industrious women, Igbo women make enough money and acquire wealth that upon their death is inherited by her daughters and her last son.

That is one of the rule of inheritance in ancient Igbo land.

One criteria for marriage in Igboland is that the prospective husband MUST provide her spouse with a house and enough farmland which is registered to her name (this is the female land inheritance you are asking for)

I can go on and on to explain the law of inheritance in Igboland but we will stop here as I have answered your question.

By the way, as you read this, take out time to savour the difference between our ancient sophisticated culture with that of your primitive improvisation.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

Who brought your shameful culture here?

NOT ME

However your lies will not go unchallenged

Your claim of egalitarianism is nonsense
yours is a misogynistic and backward culture
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

I told you that unlike your uncultured women that breed in their fathers house, ancient Igbo women marry.

They had established marriage system where the lady inherits what she would from her father at her marriage day.
She then later inherits her mother after her death.

Did you hear inherit her mother?
Unlike your uncultured and none industrious women, Igbo women make enough money and acquire wealth that upon their death is inherited by her daughters and her last son.

That is one of the rule of inheritance in ancient Igbo land.

One criteria for marriage in Igboland is that the prospective husband MUST provide her spouse with a house and enough farmland which is registered to her name (this is the female land inheritance you are asking for)

I can go on and on to explain the law of inheritance in Igboland but we will stop here as I have answered your question.

By the way, as you read this, take out time to savour the difference between our ancient sophisticated culture with that of your primitive improvisation.
can women inherit land from her father in Eboeland?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:00pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

Who brought your shameful culture here?

NOT ME

However your lies will not go unchallenged

Your claim of egalitarianism is nonsense
yours is a misogynistic and backward culture
The more we go deep into this the more you will understand why the whites called Igbo political system the perfect democracy.

The more you see the huge gap our ancestors gave your primitive savages.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

The more we go deep into this the more you will understand why the whites called Igbo political system the perfect democracy.

The more you see the huge gap our ancestors gave your primitive savages.
Whites? hahaha

Inferiority complex is deep in your blood

Whites ko

Greens ni

Why do you need external validation? You are not significant
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

can women inherit land from her father in Eboeland?

How many times will I tell you that our women marry.

Stop looking at things from your peoples perceptive.

The fact that your women stay at their fathers house and breed doesn't mean that there are no Africans with established marriage system before the whites introduced it to you people.

Besides I've explained the established female inheritance of the ancient wise Igbo people. Read it again.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:05pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

How many times will I tell you that our women marry.

Stop looking at things from your peoples perceptive.

The fact that your women stay at their fathers house and breed doesn't mean that there are no Africans with established marriage system before the whites introduced it to you people.

Besides I've explained the established female inheritance of the ancient wise Igbo people. Read it again.

So women do not have the same inheritance rights as their brothers?

Do those brothers not marry?

So where is the egalitarianism?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:06pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
Whites? hahaha

Inferiority complex is deep in your blood

Whites ko

Greens ni

Why do you need external validation? You are not significant

That is called a "third party"

They are the only third party that Ndigbo gave the honour of staying long among them. The rest black savages were either transported to be used as slaves in Igboland or we are out civilising people of which you Yoruba people are not left out.

The great Awka blacksmiths brought civilisation to Yorubas by introducing metallurgy to Ondo plains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:07pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

They are the only third party that Ndigbo gave the honour of staying long among them. The rest black savages were either transported to be used as slaves in Igboland or we are out civilising people of which you Yoruba people are not left out.

The great Awka blacksmiths brought civilisation to Yorubas by introducing metallurgy to Ondo plains.
Off point

Your claim to egalitarianism is debunked by the shabby way you treat women and the osu caste system
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:09pm On Jan 08, 2022
In a truly egalitarian society women will be allowed to own land
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

"Law of inheritance" I know this term would be hard for someone from a primitive ancestry.

Let me answer your question because the concept of marriage is alien to ancient Yorubas that their women stay and breed in their fathers house.

When a woman in Igboland as well as a lot of other civilised nations marry, they move to their husbands house. Though this is different for your own people that the women just start giving birth in their fathers house.

There is a ceremony associated with it. It is called "Marriage ceremony".
I believe you are conversant with this one because it is the ceremony that your men complain about because it is not in your culture.

During that ceremony, the father hands over her inheritance to her which will include slaves, jewelleries that costs alot of slaves (one ivory anklets worn by ancient Igbo women cost three slaves) etc. These she moves to her husbands house with where her husband have already provided a full house and land for her.

This is the culture of the wealthy Ndigbo.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

So blacks are savages and whites are gods
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
So blacks are savages and whites are gods
We are blacks but blacks have levels.

Judging by your ancestors primitive culture coupled with the fact that the concept of marriage is alien to them, it is safe to say that you people are savages

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

"Law of inheritance" I know this term would be hard for someone from a primitive ancestry.

Let me answer your question because the concept of marriage is alien to ancient Yorubas that their women stay and breed in their fathers house.

When a woman in Igboland as well as a lot of other civilised nations marry, they move to their husbands house. Though this is different for your own people that the women just start giving birth in their fathers house.

There is a ceremony associated with it. It is called "Marriage ceremony".
I believe you are conversant with this one because it is the ceremony that your men complain about because it is not in your culture.

During that ceremony, the father hands over her inheritance to her which will include slaves, jewelleries that costs alot of slaves (one ivory anklets worn by ancient Igbo women cost three slaves) etc. These she moves to her husbands house with where her husband have already provided a full house and land for her.

This is the culture of the wealthy Ndigbo.

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Bkayyy: 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

Women inherit their mothers exclusively but still inherit their fathers.

A woman can acquire as much land as she likes with the inheritance she got from her fathers at her husbands place.

And for the last time, she marries to live with her husband not like you people that remain and breed in their fathers house.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 6:18pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bkayyy:

We are blacks but blacks have levels.

Judging by your ancestors primitive culture coupled with the fact that the concept of marriage is alien to them, it is safe to say that you people are savages
No you said all blacks . You only allowed whites in your society

Your desperation to change the subject won't work

Egalitarianism

means every one has equal rights

How does that work with OSU caste system

That and the cannibalism that your white friends recorded should tell us who are the savages

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

It’s Wrong To Be Minister While Serving, NYSC Tells Musawa / DSS Deploys Operatives To Arrest Godwin Emefiele On Sight - Peoples Gazette / President Buhari Testing A Microphone At The Commonwealth Meeting (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.