Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,549 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? (18200 Views)

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? / Church Members Flog The Devil With Canes In Church (Pics, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Greenishland(f): 12:20pm On Jul 11, 2021
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Ephesians 5:3‭-‬4 KJV

Observe that the Bible passage above condemned foolish talking and jesting and says it should not be once named among believers therefore comedy in church is a sin.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Judeoxide(m): 12:21pm On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

That's a fallacious statement.
The sin I know the bible said is irredeemable is the sin of blasphemy.
Some pastors crack jokes during sermon, does that mean they will go to hell ??
Where exactly in the bible is it written that when one makes someone laugh in the temple that one must go to hell ??
Sin is an immoral conduct. Is making someone happy an immoral conduct ??

I am neither a Christian nor in support of cracking jokes in churches but that doesn't mean that those who do it will not make heaven.
The bible has given a criterion for going to heaven which is only believing on Jesus Christ, and this makes me wonder what gives you such temerity to conclude that someone that just crack a mere joke will go to hell, and besides, you didn't even specify if the joke is an immoral joke or a harmless joke that does not in anyway adulterate the essence of the gatherings of God's people.
yea truly you are not a Christian
God condemned comedy in the Old Testament
But make we leave am there
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by NoToPile: 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2021
I don't support it.

Church is not for entertainment nor social gathering or club.

This is part of the reason we are having powerless christains.

I wonder why their pastors support it.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Hotspotbro(m): 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2021
There's comedy already inside testimony.someone will tell an engrish filled story about how he fell from a 2 storey building....
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Oluwatejiri: 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
Karlo vych:
embarassed embarassed I fully support it, the funniest one I heard was when a pastor said drove his vehicle from Ogun State to Lagos State without gas in the tank.

WTF!!!!!!!! grin grin
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by JKhafe(f): 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2021
Some churches do stand up comedy. They invite comedians from outside, and possible within the church to crack some jokes on the altar.. To me, stand up comedy in church is ungodly and a sign of disrespect of the sacredness of God's altar. It is a mockery of the sanctity of God's altar. You don't tell jokes with some lies on God's altar. The altar of God is not for caricature, but for holy things that are pleasing to God.

What is your view?
NO.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bejusttoall: 12:57pm On Jul 11, 2021
It shouldn't be encouraged in any form.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Josywhyte: 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2021
paxonel:
do you think that place in front of church is God's altar?
You must be joking.

God's altar is right inside you, not any building or construction in front of church.

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being.....

No mind that OP

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Vipro(m): 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

Where exactly in the bible is it written that when one makes someone laugh in the temple that one must go to hell ??

I am neither a Christian nor in support of cracking jokes in churches but that doesn't mean that those who do it will not make heaven.
The bible has given a criterion for going to heaven which is only believing on Jesus Christ, and this makes me wonder what gives you such temerity to conclude that someone that just crack a mere joke will go to hell, and besides, you didn't even specify if the joke is an immoral joke or a harmless joke that does not in anyway adulterate the essence of the gatherings of God's people.
Nice reply,,,

But please can you quote anywhere in the Bible to butress your fact.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Josywhyte: 1:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
Churches don spoil since,no be today. Moreover,the 'altar' you're talking about is not the one u see in the church where your pastors stand to preach,but your heart. Receive sense for once
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by chibnnodi: 1:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
No, it's a way of inviting the devil to the church.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogunsbanjul(m): 1:09pm On Jul 11, 2021
Not all that call me Lord are called by me
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Ochelyko1: 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2021
livette:
Some churches do stand up comedy. They invite comedians from outside, and possible within the church to crack some jokes on the altar.. To me, stand up comedy in church is ungodly and a sign of disrespect of the sacredness of God's altar. It is a mockery of the sanctity of God's altar. You don't tell jokes with some lies on God's altar. The altar of God is not for caricature, but for holy things that are pleasing to God.

What is your view?

Ofcourse in the true body of Christ, the true church don't even have time to crack jokes how much more to stage for it.

But the denomination Churches which are the church of man, founded and build by man not Christ can accommodate such nonsense.
And is happening already bcus the spirit of Christ is no longer there.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by pintoism(m): 2:12pm On Jul 11, 2021
Revelation 21:8. "... All liars shall have their part in the lake of fire"

The bible has given a criterion for going to heaven which is only believing on Jesus Christ, and this makes me wonder what gives you such temerity to conclude that someone that just crack a mere joke will go to hell, and besides, you didn't even specify if the joke is an immoral joke or a harmless joke that does not in anyway adulterate the essence of the gatherings of God's people.[/quote]
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Joetttimua1811(m): 2:21pm On Jul 11, 2021
Following
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 11, 2021
The Church itself is stand up comedy
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Montaque(m): 2:27pm On Jul 11, 2021
BKayy:

When did you meet Jesus?
Na so madness dey start oh.
Better go psychiatric hospital before it becomes late

Go and read your Bible
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by osazsky(m): 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2021
livette:

What is your view?
seconded
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 3:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
Vipro:
Nice reply,,,

But please can you quote anywhere in the Bible to butress your fact.
I am not a preacher.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Judeoxide:
yea truly you are not a Christian
God condemned comedy in the Old Testament
But make we leave am there

So you needed proof to believe me...

Where in the bible did he condemn it ??
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Vipro(m): 3:09pm On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

I am not a preacher.
No wonder.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
ogologoamu:

Ephesians 5:4
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

FILTHINESS, FOOLISH TALKING AND JESTING (COMEDY) are not convenient but given of thanks is convenient.

You obviously read the Bible backwards.

The unsentimental, unbiased and realistic meaning of that text is that Filthiness, foolishness talking and jesting which are not important/necessary are not allowed; unless it is done to give thanks.
In other words, if they are convenient... necessary...or important, they are allowed as long as they portray or have the essence of Thanksgiving.
I am not even a fan of church comedy but alas! Let address the bible just as it is.

Pls Try to understand the scripture.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
Vipro:
No wonder.

Of course!
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Afobaba33(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2021
Lagosianswag:
That's okay if the jokes are clean.
It's the new age's way of making church going exciting.

Even Angels Laugh Over Good Funny Jokes. smiley

It means you don't know the meaning of church
Moreover did our Lord Jesus Christ allowed such during His time or you think there are no comedians then?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by nairanaira12: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2021
AntiChristian:
Comedy that contains lies and untruths!

1. Indaboski

2. God drank tea with Daddy GO.

3. Fake miracle of the same arm in many churches.

Add yours!

There are fake Christians and pastors.
There are also fake Muslims everywhere

Come to ilorin and meet alphas and imams that behave more like herbalists and scammers. cheesy

So, fakeness is not limited to any religion. I hope you are not too stupid to reason otherwise?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Facemask(m): 3:46pm On Jul 11, 2021
Psalm 2:4
He who sits in the heavens laughs,

If God also sit on the throne and laugh, then why can't we?

My brother don't be religious...be like the God you serve

livette:

What is your view?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Oracleforce: 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2021
The Bible says, my house shall be called a house of prayer....not a house of fashion or comedy...comedy is not part of the early order of service that was one of the reasons power was so intense among them...comedian come with their carnal and worldly comedy skit to corrupt and dirty the mind of people...

Comedian is part of the entertainment industry and entertainment is. part. of Jesus mission her n earth...His mission is to use all means to save the perishing souls...so, can comedy skit save any sinner? Can a comedy minister light to those in the darkness? Can a comedy skit deliver the oppressed...
These are what you can see in any other religion even traditional religion expect some churches that do not value god's presence in their midst...
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by lauryy(f): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2021
Nigerians like taking things too serious. Churches are the equivalent of night clubs for people grown into a religious mindset. If it’s so bad then brothers and sisters in the spirit should not date each other, dance, wear modern clothing or jewelry of any sort.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogologoamu: 4:33pm On Jul 11, 2021
[quote author=Bluezy13 post=103598330][/quote]

Lies.

...... but rather giving of thanks.

This phrase nocked of your argument.

Don't jest or talk foolishly etc, instead give thanks to God.
Don't devote your time in doing things that doesn't matter or improve your spiritual life if you don't know what to do, give thanks to God.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by kushe: 4:34pm On Jul 11, 2021
I realize atheists are really smart people,but when they are putting up their arguments,who are they really arguing with or trying to convince.
If I didn't believe in something,I wouldn't even give it the tiniest bit of attention,yet you all seem to always be inviting God to a duel.
God doesn't need to prove his existence because he simply exists. He predates us,he is here in our times and he will outlive us.
Yet God had to prove his love to us by coming down to be born of a woman he created,he was rejected by those he sustained by the breath of his nostrils and finally he died for his sinful creation nailed to a log of wood he knew the date it's source tree germinated .
If we reject his love on this side of eternity,we have no power to reject his judgment on the other side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RCCG To Commission 12milion Capacity Auditorium. At The 63 Annual Convention / Happy Birthday Dr. D.k. Olukoya / Sexual Compatibility : How Can It Be Discussed In A Christian Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.