Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:32 PM

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? (18678 Views)

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? / Church Members Flog The Devil With Canes In Church (Pics, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by UncommonLogic: 9:59am On Jul 11, 2021
Any business will use any legal means to increase profit. Churches are nothing but business centers hence any legal means that can be used to increase attendance and profit is welcome.
The whole church thing is comedic in the first place.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Trustedpronet: 10:03am On Jul 11, 2021
Comedians and pastors are in same business.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by danowena: 10:04am On Jul 11, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed embarassed I fully support it, the funniest one I heard was when a pastor said drove his vehicle from Ogun State to Lagos State without gas in the tank.
Stop mocking miracles if you don’t understand them. It is better you just look away than mock them if you don’t believe. May miracles not evade you when u need them most.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ICEWIN: 10:16am On Jul 11, 2021
livette:
Deceive and comfort yourself with lies.
ook.
can you prove to me that am lying to myself.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by yuping(m): 10:17am On Jul 11, 2021
My take is this, if you pay for Davido or wizkid event/show and after one performance and they bring in a pastor or B4 performance they bring in a preacher that is telling you how unholy or how God hate girls dancing half naked, you know you won't be happy and it might ruin your jolly mood for the show right.
If Wizkid and Davido are not adding pastors to their billboard and event Artist, to call the holy or religious people to come to their event I think the church should also not see Artist and Comedian as an Attraction personalities
Preach to those that will hear, listen and change from the word of God. And is not by the commedian or comedy, we all know the right from wrong, we just pretend not to.
Church is a sacred place not for mockery.
And always remember the only time Jesus got angry is when he saw people trading in a temple what's wrong can't be right.
#Peace
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ICEWIN: 10:21am On Jul 11, 2021
breathelove:
Pls let's not encourage sin. Sin is an abomination to God. No body would enter the kingdom with unrepented sin. Pls encourage people to repent of their sins
ok sir have heard u. is not asiv am encouraging sin,everybody knows sin is bad. am only trying to make a point that we leave by #GODgrace
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by GoodBoi1(m): 10:25am On Jul 11, 2021
Most of you forget that your body is a living sacrifice and a temple of God. So if you listen to comedy outside church and it is okay by you but condemn it in church you are a hypocrite. Comedy is okay if it is done in moderation. I think churches don't do comedy all the time. Believers are the body of Christ not concrete
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by helicoptarr: 10:32am On Jul 11, 2021
Matthew 12:36 KJV

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Ephesians 5:4 KJV

Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

James 2:12

So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.

A stage is a stage and an altar is an altar.

An altar cannot be used as a stage. It is a sacred place.

John 10:27 (KJV)
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by aklosx(m): 10:37am On Jul 11, 2021
Nope for once
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 11, 2021
Yes. Because the church is only qualified as jokes and a circus show.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ictplotter(m): 10:54am On Jul 11, 2021
paxonel:
do you think that place in front of church is God's altar?
You must be joking.

God's altar is right inside you, not any building or construction in front of church.

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being.....
For your mind now, you quoting GOD'S WORDS? your above quotation have nothing to do with God but direct personal opinion of a well known rapist n criminal called saul or paul. Christianity is religious or lifestyle of paul.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by kokomilala(m): 10:59am On Jul 11, 2021
It's utter rubbish! See Ephesians 5:4.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by bobseto: 11:04am On Jul 11, 2021
Are you trying to say that its better to flog people in church?
I believe those comedias got the gift from God and its not wrong doing it to the glory of God.
There are clean jokes na,has your pastor never said anything funny while preaching? Why is then wrong for a comedian not to do same?
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

In Matthew 21:12, Jesus used koboko on people who were doing things other than prayer in the temple.

It goes to show that any comedian who cracks a joke on the pulpit has just got himself a first class ticket to hell.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ITbomb(m): 11:06am On Jul 11, 2021
When sermons are becoming boring and the business executives need ideas to keep the followers coming in with their offerings, Comedy comes in
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by arixona: 11:13am On Jul 11, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed embarassed I fully support it, the funniest one I heard was when a pastor said drove his vehicle from Ogun State to Lagos State without gas in the tank.
I think that was a parable, my thoughts though
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by brian91(m): 11:16am On Jul 11, 2021
angry
When the so called religious lifestyle had become a complete opposite of Christ instruction, doctrine, then it become a JOKE, thereby became an Haven for jokers to display jokes cool
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by pongwa(m): 11:19am On Jul 11, 2021
livette:
Some churches do stand up comedy. They invite comedians from outside, and possible within the church to crack some jokes on the altar.. To me, stand up comedy in church is ungodly and a sign of disrespect of the sacredness of God's altar. It is a mockery of the sanctity of God's altar. You don't tell jokes with some lies on God's altar. The altar of God is not for caricature, but for holy things that are pleasing to God.

What is your view?
yes but it should should regulated
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 11:20am On Jul 11, 2021
ogologoamu:

It simply told you that the outlined are not convenient try to understand.

...the outlined are not convenient, why the is it part of the text ? Does it mean you think that a phrase in the bible is not relevant or are you removing from the word of God ??
It is common logic.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by TheGift: 11:23am On Jul 11, 2021
I support anything that is focused on glorifying God and edifying People in Church. However, I think anything that tries to attract and get people committed to God, that is based on gimmicks like entertainment e.t.c and not the message of redemption of Christ is a joke and should be left out of church.

Now should Christians go for comedy shows? That is another question and the answer would depend on certain variables.
livette:
Some churches do stand up comedy. They invite comedians from outside, and possible within the church to crack some jokes on the altar.. To me, stand up comedy in church is ungodly and a sign of disrespect of the sacredness of God's altar. It is a mockery of the sanctity of God's altar. You don't tell jokes with some lies on God's altar. The altar of God is not for caricature, but for holy things that are pleasing to God.

What is your view?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Tywo2018: 11:24am On Jul 11, 2021
RIP SOUND SULTAN...
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogologoamu: 11:25am On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

...the outlined are not convenient, why the is it part of the text ? Does it mean you think that a phrase in the bible is not relevant or are you removing from the word of God ??
It is common logic.

Ephesians 5:4
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

FILTHINESS, FOOLISH TALKING AND JESTING (COMEDY) are not convenient but given of thanks is convenient.

Pls Try to understand the scripture.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by 4good(m): 11:25am On Jul 11, 2021
Stand up comedy in church IS TOTAL RUBBISH
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Speakright79(m): 11:37am On Jul 11, 2021
livette:

What is your view?

You've said it all. The church that is consecrated to God is no place for mockers and scoffers (comedians), 2 Pet. 3:3. Please know that neither the comedians nor those who invite them will be guiltless before God. They are attempting to replace the joy of the Lord with empty comedy. Please flee from such "churches " as they are rejected by God.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nicoddemus(m): 11:45am On Jul 11, 2021
It's a bad thing
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by lastchild: 11:53am On Jul 11, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

In Matthew 21:12, Jesus used koboko on people who were doing things other than prayer in the temple.

It goes to show that any comedian who cracks a joke on the pulpit has just got himself a first class ticket to hell.
so it's only prayer you people pray in the church?

what about the marriage ceremonies?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Noblewealth(m): 11:56am On Jul 11, 2021
Whose fault? Ordinary comedian will jump on the pulpit and start cracking jokes and talking gibberish on the altar.. In the old testament it is called Holy of holies.. when you personally know that something is bad and you do It for the fun of it.. Then you have written a Quora letter to destruction..
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 11, 2021
I do not.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Joshuam1(m): 12:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
Ephesians 5:4
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 11, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

And the pastor that allowed him to use the pulpit?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Godwritten: 12:12pm On Jul 11, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Una no dey dance for una church? undecided
Una no dey do party for una church undecided
una no dey do Play for una church? undecided
So why is a comedy sketch or even having a comedian come do stand up comedy out of the question? No be for social clubs all of this dey shele? undecided

P.S. churches are social clubs or business operated mainly for the 3entertainment of the members undecided

The Church of Jesus Christ is not a social club or a place for party and jamboree.

Any church that invites comedians to use the Word and the Name of God to crack jokes should examine themselves.

Comedy in the church is a worldly practice introduced in the church to make Christians empty. It is the Holy Spirit that can give you joy, happiness and peace the passed human understanding NOT scoffers that call themselves comedians.

''Men of God'' who allow this unholy practice in their churches think that keeping members entertained by comedians would make them stick to the church, but they are wrong. The Holy Spirit does the work.

Now, church is a house of prayer and where the Word of God is taught for believers to be strenghtened in faith for the work of the ministry.

Infact, the Bible call them comedians, scoffers. Many scriptures including Psalm 1:1 said it shall not be well with them.

Therefore, come out from them so that you shall not be a partaker of their iniquity, says God.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by EgusiShankly: 12:20pm On Jul 11, 2021
A loud NO..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pastor William Kumuyi Visits Wike (Photos) / Pastor Obie Jason: Christians Dating Is Wrong, You Date And Get Dirty / Some Tricks The Devil Can Use To Stop You From Succeeding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.