Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! (3615 Views)

Who Was The First Human To Celebrate Jesus? / Being An Atheist Is It An Excuse To Be Wicked? / Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 07, 2021
HardMirror:
chai! how is it similar? he said atheists who dont believe in god can actually be atheist wannabes. i am saying it is impossible for someone who does not believe in anygod to be an athies wannabe. these are polar points. not same in any way.

Don't mind that one!!

You either believe or you don't!!!

What else??
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Joshkid(m): 1:52am On Aug 08, 2021
Ishilove:

Where have you been?
been busy with school's stuff... Now that I'm a graduate, I guess that's going to mean, I'll have much free time to myself
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:12am On Aug 08, 2021
Your concept of God differs from mine and that is the same thing happening throughout the world, so before two persons can agree on laws of God they must both have the same line of thought about God.
I am Maximus one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES our concept of God makes us agree on terms and conditions globally but if you're kicking against grouping then there's no reason to ask me how i view my God or the terms and conditions of my own God. So far i'm not disturbing you in any way go and worship your God! smiley

22jumpstreet:

Take a moment to think of it...do we need to be in a group before we respect our parents and elders...? I don't really know your fixation on belonging to a Cult or group. It is just for us to know how to act and behave from day to day.... It won't take you a whole year to learn God laws.. I really don't see the benefits..
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:19am On Aug 08, 2021
You're not consistent with this your God!
You said your God is consciousness and living inside you, which means the same is applicable to everyone else so why must you think your own God is punishing you because of what the God of the other person compels him to do? smiley

22jumpstreet:

But God is punishing all of us because of your actions...and your likes...
I have to condemn your actions...

If my own God lives inside me (as you said) then why must you be the one coming to tell me what my own God (who lives inside me) wants from me? Does that sound reasonable to you? cheesy

22jumpstreet:

Continue insulting your creator..When your time comes he will judge you...
I won't do that for him..
Just continue..

As long as you're disputing about Jesus Christ the only begotten son of God, you will never ever find two persons agreeing on terms and conditions because terms and conditions are set by an entity that's the purpose of Jesus the King you're battling to debunk.
Already he has millions of subjects out there willingly living by the terms and conditions he set for us, that's why we have LOVE, JOY and PEACE permeating our group but you keep calling us a cult.
So go ahead and set matters straight with your neighbours and see how easy you're going to do it without Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God! smiley
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Myer(m): 8:53am On Aug 08, 2021
HardMirror:

it is just too hard for some people to even pretend to be christians. i laugh at a lot of people who claim i was not a christian and yet they lie, they curse. as a christian i could not ever call anyone unsavoury names. infact i would say losing my faith made me lose alot of "virtue" honestly. i am very different now, a proper "sinner" yet i see those trying to tell me what christianity is and is not and they dont even know the basics because they do not read their bible, they are not committed, they are just christian wannabes like ishilove and anas09.
by their fruits you shall know them.

What do you expect from them when their pastors and GOs lie and curse the same?
Most professing Christian's are actually more followers of their pastors than followers of Christ.

Truth is most Christian's are living in denial. Which is why I admire your honesty.

So many Christian's are doing worse things than unbelievers but go to church on Sunday and lead praise and worship. I had a youth pastor that was servicing the girls in both the choir and drama group.
And those who knew did nothing about it.

And I know fellow workers that were doing things that we knew but just christianized it that God is going to save him.
Imagine telling a Christian after conversion, discipleship and even working for the Lord that God is still going to save them?
Does that not simply mean that Christianity like other religions is flawed and doesnt have all the answers?

I was a firebrand Christian like you too. Did all the confession of faith genuinely, submitted myself to baptism, discipleship, even joined various church departments. At some point I was among the youth leaders, I was a teacher of foundation class, i was in the evangelism group and made evangelism my priority since those were supposedly the last words of Jesus according to Matthew and Mark.
I was in the cleaning department, PR department where we welcomed new comers, prayer warriors (though we called it prayer academy) and availed myself for various other church responsibilities.

I even evangelise my own boss at work.
When she issued me a query, I saw it as an opportunity to preach Christ to the management and that was exactly what I did. I apologized for missing a Saturday training with the excuse that I was doing God's work.

But guess what? After some time, I realised I was simply trying so hard to believe what was not real.
Then I decided if Jesus preached against religiousness and hypocrisy I could not afford to live as one.

So your story is something I resonate with.
But most nairalanders professing to be Christian's are not even workers in their church, just bench warmers yet they judge others just the same way Muslims judge non-Muslims.

4 Likes

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 5:15pm On Aug 08, 2021
Ishilove:

Don't mind Hardmirror. He has left the body of your message to be focusing on semantics. How laughable.

Your arguments are very sound, by the way.
Abi o

Thank you. God bless you
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2021
Anas09:

Hardmirror the brokenmirror claimed there's no point in this post to counter apart from Wannabe
Lol
What was even frustrating was his definition of the phrase.
I heeded your advice already.

Happy Sunday Sir/Ma
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 5:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
Image123:

Lol, so you conveniently agree that there are "wannabes"? It suits your narrative, right. Be deceiving yourself and gullible people.
Lol
I was surprised to see him also use it.
I then asked myself, is it that he just got the meaning? Or he knew all along, but pretending and forcing another meaning to it?

May God have mercy on him and his ilks

Modified
Going through the thread and seeing how he is bent on applying different meanings to same word, I am just amazed at what length some folks can go in defending lies. undecided
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Image123(m): 5:35pm On Aug 08, 2021
Pelecius:

Lol
I was surprised to see him also use it.
I then asked myself, is it that he just got the meaning? Or he knew all along, but pretending and forcing another meaning to it?

May God have mercy on him and his ilks

May the Lord have mercy on him, he is blinded.
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2021
bukhety:

You jw?
No Ma
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by bukhety(f): 6:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
Pelecius:

No Ma
Ok
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
Pelecius:

Lol

Happy Sunday Sir/Ma
if you are truly interested in the truth. please try your best to watch this and give me your feed back https://www.nairaland.com/6692494/honest-liar-amazing-randi-expose
please feel free to counter the message therein
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 11:09pm On Aug 08, 2021
Myer:

What do you expect from them when their pastors and GOs lie and curse the same?
Most professing Christian's are actually more followers of their pastors than followers of Christ.

Truth is most Christian's are living in denial. Which is why I admire your honesty.

So many Christian's are doing worse things than unbelievers but go to church on Sunday and lead praise and worship. I had a youth pastor that was servicing the girls in both the choir and drama group.
And those who knew did nothing about it.

And I know fellow workers that were doing things that we knew but just christianized it that God is going to save him.
Imagine telling a Christian after conversion, discipleship and even working for the Lord that God is still going to save them?
Does that not simply mean that Christianity like other religions is flawed and doesnt have all the answers?

I was a firebrand Christian like you too. Did all the confession of faith genuinely, submitted myself to baptism, discipleship, even joined various church departments. At some point I was among the youth leaders, I was a teacher of foundation class, i was in the evangelism group and made evangelism my priority since those were supposedly the last words of Jesus according to Matthew and Mark.
I was in the cleaning department, PR department where we welcomed new comers, prayer warriors (though we called it prayer academy) and availed myself for various other church responsibilities.

I even evangelise my own boss at work.
When she issued me a query, I saw it as an opportunity to preach Christ to the management and that was exactly what I did. I apologized for missing a Saturday training with the excuse that I was doing God's work.

But guess what? After some time, I realised I was simply trying so hard to believe what was not real.
Then I decided if Jesus preached against religiousness and hypocrisy I could not afford to live as one.

So your story is something I resonate with.
But most nairalanders professing to be Christian's are not even workers in their church, just bench warmers yet they judge others just the same way Muslims judge non-Muslims.
if you are truly interested in the truth. please try your best to watch this and give me your feed back https://www.nairaland.com/6692494/honest-liar-amazing-randi-expose
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 11:09pm On Aug 08, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Well let me tell you that you're wrong!

I was a Muslim before i embraced Christianity, if you're taking all the sects claiming Christians as Christians then you will be blind to the truth!
I once read what Mahatma Gandhi said about Jesus and Christianity, that's what led me to start making my own research to find out who are the true Christians?
What called my attention in your write-up is your mention of "GROUP", since you understand that there must be a specific group PRACTICING what the man Jesus taught!

Well there is a specific group today practicing what Jesus taught, they're totally different from all these sects claiming Christians having contradicting teachings and conflicting doctrines all in the name of one Jesus!

True Christians have the same line of thought globally and apart from the imperfect state of individuals throughout the earth true followers of Christ are guiltless and you can not find anything to say against them unless you just want to be hypocritical!

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:28pm On Aug 08, 2021
Truth is not what you hear but can't explain.
So if you're not fully competent and completely equipped to express yourself as in your own words then forget about the truth.
You've not known the truth.
There are hundreds of thousands of videos out there by people from different religious sects or schools of thought, each fully packaged to convince the audience but the truth is not like that. When you know the truth you'll be fully loaded to deliver with or without any video.
I believe you must have watched the video so what have you gotten that worths considering? smiley

HardMirror:
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 11:41pm On Aug 08, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Truth is not what you hear but can't explain.
So if you're not fully competent and completely equipped to express yourself as in your own words then forget about the truth.
You've not known the truth.
There hundreds of thousands of videos out there by people from different religious sects or schools of thought, each fully packaged to convince the audience but the truth is not like that. When you know the truth you'll be fully loaded to deliver with or without any video.
I believe you must have watched the video so what have you gotten that worths considering? smiley

the video is not my evidence. i want you to watch it so you can take what is presented into scrutiny. i am not asking you to accept it. take an honest look and be very critical, but try to be honest to yourself. i have done same for the christian faith.
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 6:21am On Aug 09, 2021
HardMirror:
Well, I'm not ignorant of magicians as I am fortunate to live in this age of information. Many information have been revealed that they are illusionists and I'm glad with this documentary also.
However, your faith must have been strengthen since you seem to be looking for reasons to strengthen your faith (faith in no God or his manifestations). Hence you must be glad about the Peter Popoff fraud (I'm also happy about him being exposed). Just that I believe you didn't pay enough attention to the details of the documentary. Else, you could have asked how possible it is that Peter was the only exposed fraud, considering the fact that James claimed to visit MANY of those camp meetings.
What's my point? I am a good skeptic, such that I had my moment of GREAT doubt in God. I have questioned so many MIRACLE claims and I am always on the look out for anyone who would be exposed (just like the Peter guy and other African fraudsters called man of God).
But I have issues with explaining how medical reports are being falsified (with no hospital coming out to debunk such claims. IF YOU WERE THE CHIEF MD, HOW WOULD YOU REACT IF A FAITH HEALER USED YOUR HOSPITAL MEDICAL REPORT TO CLAIM A DISEASE HAS BEEN HEALED, SUCH THAT YOUR HOSPITAL STILL MADE REPORT OF NO MORE DISEASE IN SUCH PATIENT), how baby developed without a WOMB, etc, and of course, how James was UNABLE to get explanation for other faith healing camps.

Even after my journey to faith with strange encounter, my eyes are still on the look out for what can normally be explained which is usually claimed to be miracle, or tricks claimed to be miracle. That's why I usually use the word wannabe for many NL atheists as most have a warped idea of believers in Christ and also not having in depth knowledge of atheism either. Most of us are not those gullible sheep who would believe just anything. In fact, as I responded earlier, it is not even a Christian thing to be gullible. .

So I'm not countering the fact that magic is illusion, I am informed already of that. Again, I'm not countering the fact that many tricksters appear to fool people in the name of Christ. In fact, they are only PROVING THE BIBLE TO BE TRUE (Matt 24:24).

My simple conclusion is that there won't be fake without an original
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Pelecius: 6:29am On Aug 09, 2021
HardMirror:
the video is not my evidence. i want you to watch it so you can take what is presented into scrutiny. i am not asking you to accept it. take an honest look and be very critical, but try to be honest to yourself. i have done same for the christian faith.
i have done same for the christian faith
If I may ask you, how have you done same thing with the Christian faith?
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:50am On Aug 09, 2021
The only thing you can do for the Christian faith if truly you want to be honest with yourself is careful reading, diligent studying, thorough meditation, humble discussions and heartfelt prayer to God for guidance. Proverbs 2:1-5

No video from any source can meet up with what you will gain from that, you may even end up with evildoers disguising as Christians {2Corinthians 11:14} while watching all motion pictures out of SCRUTINY of the Christian Faith! undecided

HardMirror:

1 Like

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by Anas09: 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
Pelecius:

Lol

Happy Sunday Sir/Ma
God bless you Saint of God.
And it's a Ma.

2 Likes

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by budaatum: 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2021
HardMirror:
the truth is it is EXTREMELY HARD TO BE AN ATHEIST.

Someone with a different experience to your own would not agree, Hard.

I was an atheist from birth, atheist as in I did not have the priviledge of being brainwashed to believe anything as my parents simply didn't have the time, being immersed in ma studying to be a nurse and pa a lawyer. ​

My first awareness of gods were Egyptian, as dad was immersed in their study too, and the Roman and Greek gods I was taught about in my non-Nigerian nursery school, along with the Five Ws and one H, which is like mud rubbed in the eyes, and an antidote to belief.

I was first introduced to belief on arrival in Nigeria, aged 7, and you could imagine how hard it must have been to be told at that age to believe what you are told as opposed to what you experienced with your own senses, or alternative explanations for what you are being told to now believe. It's like being told the white you see is black, I guess, which should at least make one go back and check. Imagine, however, how almost impossible it would be to have checked, found it is the white you first saw it was, and then being insistently told, it is indeed black and that you must accept it is black! And I did check, reading the Bible from page 1 all the way page by page to the end as my 9 to 11 year old project - it wasn't exactly as if I had anything better to do, not having a telly in the house three floors up and not being allowed downstairs to play much for fear gboọmọgbọmọ would whisk away ma's precious child. And at the end I knew I could not possibly believe a single word in it just as I wouldn't believe a single word in a story about Tom and Jerry!

That, I think, being told to abandon what you perceive with your own senses and accept what others now tell you, should be hard if not nigh impossible, but it sounds like you managed to do so, lol, abandon what you perceived with your own senses and accept what you were told to believe. (Or perhaps it was that you were blinded with belief from birth and could not even look to see with your own eyes) I too would be extremely mad at myself when I my eyes finally open and I get to see how naked I had been, especially since Christ is written to have gone about opening people's eyes so that they may see for themselves instead of believing what some other person told them they saw.

Na, I don't agree that it is hard to be atheistic to the beliefs of people around me and use my own senses instead. After all, its not as if everyone has mud spat on and rubbed in their eyes. And even if they had had mudded rubbed in their eyes, not many bother to go bath in the Pool of Siloam, is what I have found, so why trust their senses more than my own?.

While some might not mind being Adams enslaved by the fear of death in a garden of Eden, some of us would rather be use her own senses Eve to find out for ourselves if it is true that we shall surely die on the day that we eat. I mean, it is pointless fearing death, right, because once one is dead, one is dead. But imagine if you then don't die but go on to live for some 800 years! That ought to make one wonder, I'd think.

May you not believe but understand, I say, and may you have the strenght to do so, in Jesus Mighty Name.
Amen!

budaatum:
When I was like really young, these mates of mine who grew up in Obanikoro Village told me rats talk. Well, even at barely 7, I was atheistic in nature, so I argued that rats don't talk. Now there were like 5 of them, so they ganged up on me calling me all sorts of names and that I know nothing, "rats talk jo!".

One day, about two years later, we were in the home of one of them and NTA was showing Tom and Jerry.

"There," they said, pointing to the telly. "I thought you said rats don't talk?"

Turns out oyinbo rats do talk, silly me!
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by 22jumpstreet: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
FINDING GOD

Christians often implore me to find God. They assure me, if I seek God, I will find him.

I know it's possible to find gods. The ancient Greeks found Aphrodite, the ancient Iranians found Ahura Mazda, the Germanic people found Odin, Hindus today find Vishnu, Brahma and a host of others, Muslims find Allah, Christians find Jesus and Jehovah.

Finding gods is not the problem. Humans are so good at it that we find gods that are wholly fictional!

Finding gods that exist is the real problem. It is such a big problem that no one has ever been able to demonstrate that have done it. Not ever. Not once.

1 Like

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by budaatum: 7:18pm On Aug 09, 2021
22jumpstreet:

Finding gods that exist is the real problem. It is such a big problem that no one has ever been able to demonstrate that have done it. Not ever. Not once.

Perhaps by "find", you should think "understand". After all, no one has seen God, and it would be rather remiss to create an image of God for you to find.

That said, consider this image of God created by God, whom your doing unto is as doing unto God.

Also consider not being a 'Christian', since that implies "belief", which demons tremble for also doing. Seek understanding instead and you might be better off.
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by 22jumpstreet: 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
budaatum:

Perhaps by "find", you should think "understand". After all, no one has seen God, and it would be rather remiss to create an image of God for you to find.

That said, consider this image of God created by God, whom your doing unto is as doing unto God.

Also consider not being a 'Christian', since that implies "belief", which demons tremble for also doing. Seek understanding instead and you might be better off.

Don't understand the bold...what are demons?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by budaatum: 1:31am On Aug 10, 2021
22jumpstreet:

Don't understand the bold...what are demons?

Hmm. Demons, like most words in this field, are broad in meaning. They could be our thoughts, the one's we are tormented by; they could be that which causes us mental illness; they could be our fellow human beings, the one's that plot evil against us; they could even be ourselves tormenting ourselves. And in context of the verse quoted, they could be beliefs we claim to have but that we do not really have.

Take a Christian, for instance, who claims to be protected by Christ but who wails against perceived or imaginary enemies. Such a person would 'tremble' in fear because, despite their belief of protection, they still fear all evils. As I type this, a certain David comes to mind. If you read the Psalms, you might recognised the trembling of a tormented person despite all his believing.

The point is that belief is not so advantage as that which many claim it is. You would not build a bridge on mere belief but on actual knowledge if bridge building gained through learning. Nor would all the beliefs on earth put food on one's table and in one's belly less one bolsters such believing with some work which requires knowledge. You may imagine a baker, and consider how many loafs his believing may bake in order to hopefully further understand.

But please know that I am not exactly answering your question, for I trust that with some thought on your own behalf, you may be able to answer your own question with greater satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by shadeyinka(m): 6:53am On Aug 10, 2021
HardMirror:
Being an atheist is HARD!!! you need to be super human to leave faith!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rT8Re1EIQc

The song above is an embodiment of what keeps Christians in the faith. i can talk confidently about Christianity not because i hate Christianity more than other religions, but because i was a christian and that was my life.

As an Atheist i sometimes forget what it meant to be a christian and i wonder why people still buy into the absolute nonsense the christian faith is selling them... the truth is it is EXTREMELY HARD TO BE AN ATHEIST and here are the reasons.

-----
You have simply exchanged one kind of FAITH for another.
1. Christian-Faith in Accepting the Creator
2. Atheist- Faith in Rejecting the Creator

In ether case, there exist NO direct PHYSICAL proof of FACT of both position
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by shadeyinka(m): 6:55am On Aug 10, 2021
budaatum:

Hmm. Demons, like most words in this field, are broad in meaning. They could be our thoughts, the one's we are tormented by; they could be that which causes us mental illness; they could be our fellow human beings, the one's that plot evil against us; they could even be ourselves tormenting ourselves. And in context of the verse quoted, they could be beliefs we claim to have but that we do not really have.

Take a Christian, for instance, who claims to be protected by Christ but who wails against perceived or imaginary enemies. Such a person would 'tremble' in fear because, despite their belief of protection, they still fear all evils. As I type this, a certain David comes to mind. If you read the Psalms, you might recognised the trembling of a tormented person despite all his believing.

The point is that belief is not so advantage as that which many claim it is. You would not build a bridge on mere belief but on actual knowledge if bridge building gained through learning. Nor would all the beliefs on earth put food on one's table and in one's belly less one bolsters such believing with some work which requires knowledge. You may imagine a baker, and consider how many loafs his believing may bake in order to hopefully further understand.

But please know that I am not exactly answering your question, for I trust that with some thought on your own behalf, you may be able to answer your own question with greater satisfaction.
But we fight wars based on our BELIEFs and not KNOWING

Secondly, demons are real but only misunderstood

Did Adolf Hitler start the Second world war knowing that he will WIN or LOSE?
Did Britain choose to fight Germany despite the odds against them by knowing that they will win the war of by believing?
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 7:34am On Aug 10, 2021
shadeyinka:

define the word "FAITH"
Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 7:37am On Aug 10, 2021
budaatum:

Someone with a different experience to your own would not agree, Hard.

I was an atheist from birth, atheist as in I did not have the priviledge of being brainwashed to believe anything as my parents simply didn't have the time,
being immersed in ma studying to be a nurse and pa a lawyer. ​

My first awareness of gods were Egyptian, as dad was immersed in their study too, and the Roman and Greek gods I was taught about in my non-Nigerian nursery school, along with the Five Ws and one H, which is like mud rubbed in the eyes, and an antidote to belief.

I was first introduced to belief on arrival in Nigeria, aged 7, and you could imagine how hard it must have been to be told at that age to believe what you are told as opposed to what you experienced with your own senses, or alternative explanations for what you are being told to now believe. It's like being told the white you see is black, I guess, which should at least make one go back and check. Imagine, however, how almost impossible it would be to have checked, found it is the white you first saw it was, and then being insistently told, it is indeed black and that you must accept it is black! And I did check, reading the Bible from page 1 all the way page by page to the end as my 9 to 11 year old project - it wasn't exactly as if I had anything better to do, not having a telly in the house three floors up and not being allowed downstairs to play much for fear gboọmọgbọmọ would whisk away ma's precious child. And at the end I knew I could not possibly believe a single word in it just as I wouldn't believe a single word in a story about Tom and Jerry!

That, I think, being told to abandon what you perceive with your own senses and accept what others now tell you, should be hard if not nigh impossible, but it sounds like you managed to do so, lol, abandon what you perceived with your own senses and accept what you were told to believe. (Or perhaps it was that you were blinded with belief from birth and could not even look to see with your own eyes) I too would be extremely mad at myself when I my eyes finally open and I get to see how naked I had been, especially since Christ is written to have gone about opening people's eyes so that they may see for themselves instead of believing what some other person told them they saw.

Na, I don't agree that it is hard to be atheistic to the beliefs of people around me and use my own senses instead. After all, its not as if everyone has mud spat on and rubbed in their eyes. And even if they had had mudded rubbed in their eyes, not many bother to go bath in the Pool of Siloam, is what I have found, so why trust their senses more than my own?.

While some might not mind being Adams enslaved by the fear of death in a garden of Eden, some of us would rather be use her own senses Eve to find out for ourselves if it is true that we shall surely die on the day that we eat. I mean, it is pointless fearing death, right, because once one is dead, one is dead. But imagine if you then don't die but go on to live for some 800 years! That ought to make one wonder, I'd think.

May you not believe but understand, I say, and may you have the strenght to do so, in Jesus Mighty Name.
Amen!

I agree, that is why in the title i said "You must be superhuman to LEAVE faith" meaning you must have been into it in the first place. and i tell you, faith feeds on the basics of our human psychology. it was carefully designed, reinvented several times to perfectly exploit the weaknesses in our human nature.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by shadeyinka(m): 7:38am On Aug 10, 2021
HardMirror:
define the word "FAITH"
Simple:
Faith is trusting in the integrity of a personality!

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 8:02am On Aug 10, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
The only thing you can do for the Christian faith if truly you want to be honest with yourself is careful reading, diligent studying, thorough meditation, humble discussions and heartfelt prayer to God for guidance. Proverbs 2:1-5

No video from any source can meet up with what you will gain from that, you may even end up with evildoers disguising as Christians {2Corinthians 11:14} while watching all motion pictures out of SCRUTINY of the Christian Faith! undecided

i have done the above bolded. infact i used to be an uncommitted christian as a kid, not like i did not love and fear god, but i was just a kid doing kid stuff. then when i grew a bit older, my senior secondary school days, i became more and more conscious about God, his will for my life and commitment to God. then i started doing all the above that you recommended. i grew very quickly in faith. i became very passionate about soul winning..... got baptized in water and in the holy spirit. all i wanted was to be whatever God wanted me to be, nothing else matters. God was the very beginning and end for me. I had an habit of reading the bible genesis to revelation withing 4-5months and i would write down what the holy spirit was ministering to me as i read. i lived like this until i got to 400 level when i began to access other information about my faith and the history of Christianity. i cannot deceive myself. these contrary information i was getting were factual, i struggled for a long time dismissing them with all manner of excuses, but i knew i was not being honest with myself. indeed, the whole scriptures were questionable, the whole christian experience was questionable, i just had to admit it.
why are some miracles never possible?
the ones we even think we are sure of, how real are they?
what exactly makes a christian better than a muslim or even an unbeliever?
asking practical questions from people like witches (yes i was a deliverance minister so had access to people coming for deliverances) proved that they were delusional and had no powers actually, they could be said to have mental issues, even thought it did not affect them from living normal lives, but they really were delusional.
i used to see angels, demons, spirits etc. all of a sudden i realized i was hallucinating, they were not real. i had put myself in that mental state aided by the effects of prolonged fastings and prayers.
the bible is full of contradictions, and outright lies everyother useful information there are commonsense wisdom. the othrstuff that should really distinguish the bible are practical lies.
what is the actual history of my dear religion. how did it start, where did the bible come from, etc and i realized this religion is just a man made religion.

i have had discussions with friends, they all are unable to defend or answer questions i am asking. all they want to do is refer to what the bible says. question is, is the bible even from god. a book just tells you hell, heaven, jesus, god, donkey, snake, dragon and you just believe and why do you believe? because the book says you should believe.

i have seen a lot and experienced a lot. i have learned lot and investigated a lot. this whole religion thing is man made, that is why when it faces real practical questions, all you can do is claim only god knows or you shift the goal post, you find excuses. that is why hospitals a booming, that is why pastors are quickly evolving to preach prosperity and make the church a place of entertainment and motivational speaking, because they quickly are finding out they cannot sustain the lies that god answers prayers, so they have to adopt to the realities. tb Joshua tried so much to sustain the aura that there are spiritual powers but we keep seeing him exposed when ever it really mattered. it is same story everywhere. i listen to pastors teach now and i laugh, because these words meant life and death to me when i was a believer, but now they sound so stupid, i realize they are just saying nonsense because the listeners are conditioned to take it as wisdom and word from a god. when you really think about what is being said, it is all childish nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Being An Atheist Is HARD!!! You Need To Be Super Human To Leave Faith! by HardMirror(m): 8:06am On Aug 10, 2021
shadeyinka:

Simple:
Faith is trusting in the integrity of a personality!

is that your definition of faith?
Faith, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid, is confidence or trust in a person, thing, or concept. In the context of religion, one can define faith as "belief in a god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion"

.. fine so whose personality integrity do atheists trust in?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Share Your Testimony If You Have Been Healed From Reinhard Bonnke's Crusade / Odumeje: Remembering The Days And Times Of Eddie Okeke (eddy Na Nawgu) / Does Allah Love Pigs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.