Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,490 members, 7,850,712 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:50 AM

There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan (17043 Views)

How To De Congest Lagos / Senators From The South Back Buhari On Inclusion Lag-calabar Rail In 2016 Budget / Imsg Set Committee To De-congest Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by delicious1(m): 3:37pm On May 18, 2011
There is a need to industrialize the whole country -one state at a time.
And the magic word to do that is -POWER.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Sunofgod(m): 4:15pm On May 18, 2011
alj_harem:

brother, the yorubas on this site are a pest which i know but it does not mean i should not stand for the truth

i know what hurts ndigbo the most and i do not like it when yorubas use it to taunt igbos

but also it does not mean we igbos should insult them just because they are insulting us

leave them to me, let me handle them

about beaf, well he is just doing this because he is related to jonathan that's all

i do not trust him 1 bit, he seem like like an animal in a cage with a laptop undecided

even from his post u should see this in him

please brother i am sorry again

and i would like us to stick to the topic, this igbo yoruba bashing is getting out of hand

but yes the yorubas started this and i noticed

This snake again,

So whenever 'Beaf' gives you a 'Verbal Slap' you go running to the moderators?

Today you are claiming to be Igbo.

Shame on you.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 18, 2011
See quarrel! GEJ didn't even mention south east in his statement. The YoruIgbos begin fight.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by EzeUche2(m): 5:38pm On May 18, 2011
^^^

True, I did not see any mention of South East in the article.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Donmichaelz(m): 3:40am On May 19, 2011
Lagos is too CONGESTED,people lap dem self 2 sleep because of no space, kudos 2 GEJ d num1 citizen of 9ja folowed by 150million nigerians b4 u,haters, I LÖVE NÎGÊRIÂ
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Donmichaelz(m): 3:40am On May 19, 2011
Lagos is too CONGESTED,people lap dem self 2 sleep because of no space, kudos 2 GEJ d num1 citizen of 9ja folowed by 150million nigerians b4 u,haters, I LÖVE NÎGÊRIÂ
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Donmichaelz(m): 3:41am On May 19, 2011
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Donmichaelz(m): 3:41am On May 19, 2011
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Diligence: 7:41am On May 19, 2011
If Biafra had continued over 50 years ago, we wld be competing wt Japan & co, and no1 will rem Eko (which means camp or war-camp by Oba of Benin when eko/lagos was really under their kingdom) Eko happens to be an extension of the benin kingdom and I believe the obas still pay homage to the Oba of Benin.

If FG is serious abt this, then in 10-20 yrs time, lagos wld remain a slum and houserent wld drop from whatever it is to N10,000 per annum!

An elephant does not know how important the tail is until it's cut off!
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by fenandopo: 7:43am On May 19, 2011
where in this thread did he say a thing about the south east? talkless of developig it? he made a general statement about developing the regios and the ibos are happy? this was o specific statemento!!
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by DeepSight(m): 7:48am On May 19, 2011
Quote from Ekt_Bear -

I've no problem with attempts to "de-congest" Lagos (whatever that means), so long as the relevant moneymaking structures there in (the port) are handed over to Lagos State. Then at that point, any Tom, manliness and Harry can build a port, manage it himself and derive the benefit thereof.

In such a situation, I think the intrinsic and physical advantage of Lagos Port will cause it to still dominate the industry.

I would be pretty displeased if Lagos Port is sabotaged by GEJ, though.

Build more ports. . . but then let us control the management of our own port (and get the revenue from it.)

What do you mean "our own port"? ? ?

Was the Lagos Port built with Lagos State Funds?

Was Lagos not the capital of a Federal Nigeria when it was built? To then demand that that federal facility (built with federal funds) should be handed over to the Lagos State govt is thus not only unfair, but highly opportunistic. If you must be fair, you would not then say that "others should build their own ports." Since federal funds were used to build a port in the then federal capital (lagos) what you should say should be that the federation should not shy away from funding ports in other places - which makes good economic and national planning sense, anyway.

But when you say "our port", lol, bros, that just shows a sad level of divisive thinking which is all the more deplorable when you consider that the said facility was built with revenue from elsewhere.

"Our Port". . . man, i just can't get over that! Your words just sum up the regressive tribalistic mindset of Nigerians. You ask that a federally funded facility in the then federal capital be handed over to Lagos State, and then you demand that everyone else should go and fund theirs by themselves.

Gosh, I actually always viewed you as one of the more rational ones on the Politics board!
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by alexleo(m): 9:10am On May 19, 2011
Ekt_Bear makes sense sometimes but at another time he will allow himself to be drawn into irrational thinking due to unnecessary  tribal sentiments.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by emmatok(m): 9:25am On May 19, 2011
There is need to decongest Lagos – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan said the Federal Government is desirous and committed to decongesting Lagos State of cargoes as well as making the aviation industry more efficient.

He also reterated the need to ensure that the six-geopolitical zones in the country are economically viable to drive growth in the nation.

Jonathan said this in Ilorin on Tuesday while inaugurating the International Cargo Terminal building, Ilorin International Airport.

He said his administration would make sure that the zones were not “just for sharing political offices” but are strong economic hubs and catalysts for socio-economic transformation.

He explained that the government would revolutionise agriculture as a viable strategy for industrial revolution, job creation and economic transformation.

The President, who was in Kwara State for a one day working visit, inaugurated some projects embarked upon by the Kwara State Government.

The projects included, the International Cargo Terminal building, the International Aviation College, Ilorin, Kwara State University being built by Charvet Nigeria Limited, Mass Train Transit Scheme and Ilorin Water Works Project, Asa-Dam.

Jonathan said, “From all indications, we will play our own part to encourage our airports to receive cargoes. FG is committed to decongesting Lagos and making sure that the six geo-political zones of the country are not just used for shared political offices but also for economic development to position them for economic growth so that Lagos would be decongested.”

The President stated that the Federal Government might no longer be involved in running secondary and primary school education but would devote its resources in elevating the standard of university education in the country.

Kwara State Governor Bukola Saraki said his administration had built a solid foundation for the economic and socio-political transformation of the state.

He added that the projects would improve the economic viability of the state as well create jobs for the teeming unemployed residents and other Nigerians.

“We hope that by August, 1, we will have the first set of students to start learning here. We have already 22 registered students and there is capacity for more,” he said.

The Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Zulu-Gambari, said the nation had many problems but advised Jonathan to deliver efficient and functional electricity to the nation.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110518302297

[quote][/quote]

@OP

Please show me where SE was mentioned in this article? when the president was even at Ilorin

You  People just like to bring your tribe into everything.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by KelechiUd: 9:33am On May 19, 2011
they would be laudable,if achieved.the question is,would they?fingers crossed
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by KnowAll(m): 9:48am On May 19, 2011
Mass Train Transit Scheme and Ilorin Water Works Project, Asa-Dam

Most people in their delirious tribalistic views missed a salient point here. Is Ilorin planning a mass train transit scheme and what are the details of this project.? 
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by EPOMA(m): 9:51am On May 19, 2011
dem_people:

[size=14pt]There is need to decongest Lagos – Jonathan[/size]

President Goodluck Jonathan said the Federal Government is desirous and committed to decongesting Lagos State of cargoes as well as making the aviation industry more efficient.

He also reterated the need to ensure that the six-geopolitical zones in the country are economically viable to drive growth in the nation.

Jonathan said this in Ilorin on Tuesday while inaugurating the International Cargo Terminal building, Ilorin International Airport.

He said his administration would make sure that the zones were not “just for sharing political offices” but are strong economic hubs and catalysts for socio-economic transformation.

He explained that the government would revolutionise agriculture as a viable strategy for industrial revolution, job creation and economic transformation.

The President, who was in Kwara State for a one day working visit, inaugurated some projects embarked upon by the Kwara State Government.

The projects included, the International Cargo Terminal building, the International Aviation College, Ilorin, Kwara State University being built by Charvet Nigeria Limited, Mass Train Transit Scheme and Ilorin Water Works Project, Asa-Dam.

Jonathan said, “From all indications, we will play our own part to encourage our airports to receive cargoes. FG is committed to decongesting Lagos and making sure that the six geo-political zones of the country are not just used for shared political offices but also for economic development to position them for economic growth so that Lagos would be decongested.”

The President stated that the Federal Government might no longer be involved in running secondary and primary school education but would devote its resources in elevating the standard of university education in the country.

Kwara State Governor Bukola Saraki said his administration had built a solid foundation for the economic and socio-political transformation of the state.

He added that the projects would improve the economic viability of the state as well create jobs for the teeming unemployed residents and other Nigerians.

“We hope that by August, 1, we will have the first set of students to start learning here. We have already 22 registered students and there is capacity for more,” he said.

The Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Zulu-Gambari, said the nation had many problems but advised Jonathan to deliver efficient and functional electricity to the nation.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110518302297

The only reason I supported CPC was when they said they will built an eight lane motorway to they east from lagos. 80% of industries in Nigeria is in Lagos  , so to de-congest lagos to other area, we need such a road first and people will be encourage to locate industries outside Lagos or ship goods to other areas. Make we dey look with all this talk
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by scholes0(m): 9:54am On May 19, 2011
A few questions for Igbo peeps smiley

-Why don't Igbo's develop their own regions, instead of flooding to  other parts of Nigeria??
-Igbos complain there is no federal presence in the SE, Ok, If that is true, what federal presence is there in the SW, bar Lagos??

If Igbos, and all other Nigerian tribes say ''Lagos is for everybody'', then The Federal government if they want to decongest Lagos, and develop other regions, must also, develop ANOTHER SEPARATE Hub in the South West, Since Lagos is already owned by all Nigerians, abi isnt it?? {Or isnt that what Non-Yoruba Nigerians say??}

Anmyway, decongest Lagos, it will only be better for that state in the longer run,And the Hypocritical Goodluck Whatever he is called, should start allocating to Lagos state, the federal budget allocation it deserves, due to its size, since it plans to ''De-congest'' the state,

Anyway, let us all wait and see how the ''Decongestation'' works out LOL , LOL , LOL
since we all know that our Federal government is a Talk talk, Parakeet chirping, all talk and no action type of government!!!   undecided undecided
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by juliebest(f): 10:09am On May 19, 2011
Seun should start banning tribalists on nairaland.

Good move GEJ to decongest Lagos.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by scholes0(m): 10:17am On May 19, 2011
^^ Yes o, tribalists must all visit the Brig, if they dont change that Ugly attitude, that is.

I actually support the decongestation of Lagos, if it is done in a GRADUAL, way, and the FG, Starts allocating to LAG , Its ''TRUE'' Federal Budget.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by emmatok(m): 10:40am On May 19, 2011
Their is noting bad about DE-congesting Lagos.

But the POSTER decide to bring tribalism(SE) into the whole story .
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by LordElNou: 10:43am On May 19, 2011
well, I hope these are delivered. It, sure, takes more than reading his speech out to the public in some Kwara State. He must start with acomplishment from the political appointments of public officers into their various offices. But if it's business as usual, well, we may end up waiting till his tenure ends
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by member479760: 10:54am On May 19, 2011
this is another trash talk/failure, let him provide electricity 24/7 then the system will take care of itself. olodo prof. want to industrialise without electricity. na our turn, na we get the oil, we must be there bla bla bla.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by jaymdee(m): 10:57am On May 19, 2011
Why can't we give tribalism a break? It ruins all common goals and gives this real notions that 'Nigeria' is a big fiction.
What the FG intends, is a de-centralisation of commerce main hub as Lagos. That, I think would make even national development and economic strength of the country's regions.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by DeepSight(m): 11:02am On May 19, 2011
Another quote from Ekt Bear -

I know that dredging the river niger is going to cost billions of dollars, and an enormous amount of money to maintain after that. If your state government and people want to sink their money in something uneconomical like that, no wahala. It is a free country.

But there is no reason for others to have to subsidize such.

Are you for real? Who are the "others" that are subsidizing such. Where does the money come from? ? ? ?
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by mystikal(m): 11:03am On May 19, 2011
These ppl sha, if they were from say the U.S or maybe even South Africa, Person no for hear word o. Individuality zilch!

Good call from FG to hands off secondary education by the way.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by ektbear: 11:11am On May 19, 2011
@Deep Sight: So Lagos Port did not come into existence before independence? Why is anyone claiming they "built" an entirely economically self-sustaining entity that predated Nigeria?

It wasn't as if they met virgin bush somewhere and built it from scratch into a major port. It generated a lot of cash since it was colonized by the Brits. . .

If anything, the port has subsidized Nigeria, rather than vice versa.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by scholes0(m): 11:39am On May 19, 2011
^^ Statements like ''We all Own Lagos''--------------''We all own Lagos my foot, Tsssew.
Or even ''We single Handedly Developed Lagos , Abuja and Port-Harcourt'', statements like this make me cringe!!!!

Like For real?!!!! shocked shocked shocked

why dont u guyz say, we single Handedly developed the entity known as Nigeria today, From Gashua, Geidam and Daura in the North, to Brass, Calabar and Igbokoda in the south??, and from there, proceed to claim all Major Nigerian cities  lol Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!

TO THOSE, WHO THAT UP THERE,  {^^} CONCERNS, U ALL KNOW YOURSELVES, And please change that Bizzare attitude!!
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by chines4(m): 11:49am On May 19, 2011
Just a statement from GEJ and we are here tearing ourselves Nawooo. Me I just the look ooo. Each state should go and develop their state. My brothers in Lagos and Abuja come and develop your state ooo, Nigerians in  diaspora come and develop Nigeria. Let every one think home. Development of our states and our country is in our hands.

GEJ if u'r reading this just focus on Power, just give us electricity shikana, We can industrialize our states by ourselves (Government has no business in running companies, all government owned firms are dead)

OBJ only achievement is GSM.

Yaradua achieves nothing, before he died(may his gentle soul rest in peace)

GEJ we are still waiting, Nothing so far
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by GODSON2009(m): 12:00pm On May 19, 2011
i totally agree with goodluck jonathan,but realistically speaking the only concern i have is that non ibos who migrate to those areas might not be treated equally,if the way nollywood is presently constituted is anything to go by and the tribalism destroying the industry then hmmmmm
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by kodewrita(m): 1:35pm On May 19, 2011
Am yoruba and I have no problem with this.

Let him first overcome the generator importers (mostly from the south-east) and provide the east with Power and IPP projects.

Let him overcome the transporters (Ifesinachi, Ekene Dili Chukwu, Bob Izua, Agofure) by building a rail line to connect port harcourt to lagos (not omitting Enugu, and Owerri).

Let him take over the Calabar/Tinapa FTZ and make it profitable instead of the cash drain it is.

Finally, He should convince his brothers in the creeks to stop kidnapping non-indigenous entrepreneurs.
Re: There Is Need To De-congest Lagos And Industrialise The South East - Jonathan by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:11pm On May 19, 2011
NONONONO, DON'T QUIT
I STILL LOVE UR ROLE IN POLITIC ESPECIALLY TO THE HAUSAS  grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Police That Killed Muyideen Mustafa Has Been Stoned To Death In Illorin / Buhari: Death Of Children In Niger Republic School Fire Horrific / Ben Bruce Criticizes APC Budget For 2017 In New Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.