Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,045 members, 7,849,220 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:30 PM

Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (22155 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction / The Funny Thing About This Bonny/Opobo Argument / Bonny Island: Nigeria's Most Organised Island With Amazing Scenery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
oya go to Ndoki land and tell them they are not Ijaw na.....

if it well sure for you that ndokis are not proud of their Ijaw, then stop arguing with us online....but dont made the mistake going to ndoki land to say they are not Ijaw oo, because will come back with one eye oo..

hahahahahahahaha
please go to obigbo and tell there Eze that he is ijaw . you will become extinct once you finish your presentation

5 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2021
eduj:

when bayelsa and rivers was still the same state ,what did you guys do ? robbed the uninformed majority into blindness, yet you come out to call another tribe criminals ?

your son as president wanted to site a petrochemical complex in delta akin to what dangote is building in lekki, but greed didn't allow you guys to let the project startup. you guys just had to try to grab other ethnicities.

should I point out the warri war between the ijaw and the itsekiri ?

the gegelege debacle of Edo state ?

is it your attempt as a tribe to claim ethnicities in Akwa ibom ?

or your false population posturing in delta state ?

The worst type of animals are those who steal from the dead or wounded and that's what you guys did after 1970 in ph- yet, you still know your rank in Nigeria in terms of poverty as a tribe
if we are talking poverty tribe in this nigeria, then igbo come first..... igbo and poverty is like 5&6...... insignificant igbo tribe

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2021
eduj:

hahahahahahahaha
please go to obigbo and tell there Eze that he is ijaw . you will become extinct once you finish your presentation
mumu..
Ijaw-ndokis in oyigbo that are more Ijaw than myself...
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Sergio101(m): 9:51pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
thats why we want biafra to be only anambra, because anambra is the only igbo state......because the rest 4states are largely
own by other tribes...example...
enugu...own by Igala..
imo....jointly own by igbo Mbaise, orlu egbemas..
abia....jointly owned by Igbos, Ijaw ndokis, Ibibios,
Dude it's okay. your words are dry and stale. portrays secondary school dropout sincerely. I mean, must you ridicule yourself just in the name of replying people.
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by BiafraInc: 9:51pm On Aug 19, 2021
Opobo–Nkoro (also spelled Opobo/Nkoro) is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria. It is part of the Andoni/Opobo/nkoro constituency of
the Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Rivers. The capital is Opobo Town. The Opobo–Nkoro people are mainly farmers and
fishermen.They are of Igbo extraction. They speak
Igbo language. Just like the neighbouring Bonny,
founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the
hinterland transformed the demography of the
area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also
settled there and the Igbo language was adopted.
Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw
communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters
have fully been integrated into the original
indigenous Igbo communities.
Pro-Natura International Nigeria has been assisting in community-led development in the LGA.
Source:www.wikipedia.org/wiki/opobo-nkoro

I wonder why there are alot of Igbo communities in Rivers state.i never new the Opobo-Nkoro people are of Igbo extraction
(Quote) (Report) 6 Likes (Like) (Share)

https://www.nairaland.com/2468393/people-opobonkoro

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
guy ndokis are pure Ijaws......

your land grabbing will not work.....

Are you tired, they've given you facts. I read it and researched and all what the beautiful Igbo people are saying is true. grin grin
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:27pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
go back and search properly, there are Ijaws also in abia state......

Where My mom's place grin grin
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by BiafraInc: 11:28pm On Aug 19, 2021
Wabara seeks Ndoki unity in Abia, Rivers.

Okey Sampson, Umuahia

“Though tribe and tongue may differ, but in brotherhood we stand …”

This line of Nigeria’s old National Anthem, which preached unity in diversity, appeared to have motivated former managing director of the defunct Hallmark Bank, Chief Marc Wabara, when he recently gave the peace and unity speech to the Ndoki of Abia and Rivers states.

The occasion was the launch of a book, “Umuagbai Ndoki: History and Culture,” at the Umuagbai Ndoki Town Square, Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State.

Wabara, who hails from Ohambele, Ndoki, Ukwa East Local Government of Abia State, while speaking as chairman on the occasion said that Ndoki people, whether in Abia or Rivers State, are one and should behave and work as so.

The ex-bank chief recalled how, before the Justice Mamman Nasir Boundary Adjustment Commission of 1976 that balkanised the Ndoki nation, the people had single administrative headquarters and were doing things as one. He opined that Ndoki people should not allow administrative, geographical or natural boundaries to bring division among them.

“I can say before the boundary adjustment of 1976, the Ndokis, somehow separated by Imo River, had everything in common administratively and were doing things collectively. Based on this, it is my advice that we should not allow administrative, geographical or natural boundaries to bring division among us. As chairman of the occasion, I want to say that the unity of Ndoki people is very, very important,” he said.

Speaking proper on the book written by Eze Nwankwo Nwankwo; traditional ruler/Ezeala IX, Umuokobo clan, Umuagbai, Wabara stated that the history of Umuagbai would not be complete without talking about the history of Ndoki people just as Ndoki’s history would not be entire without that of Umuagbai, stressing that the histories of both are interwoven.

“Umuagbai is an integral and important community in Ndoki and as such the history of the community will not be complete without the history of Ndoki just as that of Ndoki will not be without Umuagbai.”

On the awards given to deserving sons and daughters of the community and the launch of the community’s education endowment fund, which were part of the event, he congratulated them for being outstanding role models to the younger generation.

Wabara poured encomiums on the author of the book for also initiating an education endowment programme, saying it was the best empowerment that could be given mankind, particularly when it is on the tertiary level.

Eze Nwankwo, the author, said he wrote the book to serve as a legacy for the younger generation, as the little they knew about their community’s history died with their parents.

The monarch said it was unfortunate that an attempt was made to stop teaching history in schools and asked, “What are they trying to hide?”

Nwankwo said Nigeria should go back to what used to be in terms of the country’s history, to project its identity, noting that he who does not know where he started might not know where he is going.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/wabara-seeks-ndoki-unity-in-abia-rivers/

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:30pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
ibo? is ibo a tribe? a tribe made up of subhumans...
asked yourself why everybody rejecting the ibos? even God has rejected ibo...... A small dot tribe that common aba kyari used in got easy ranks..... Only Ijaw women can who Igbo men in war

Why is it paining you. See the words you gave. He wanted to keep you up for a discussion and you began spitting venom grin cheesy
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by BiafraInc: 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2021
Egwu-onwa Among The Ndoki Of Rivers State

By Otuka Ucheoma

07 November 2015 | 11:00 pm

IN our world, children have always played since the dawn of civilization, and description of these activities are found throughout the literature of mankind. Every civilization handed down to its children from one generation to another, traditional types of games. Play itself helps in the development of the brain. It is the vital activity that children use to learn about and interact with their world. It is usually the work of a child in which they are preparing themselves for adult roles and for society at large. For a child, play is the vehicle for exploring and learning, developing new skills and connecting with others. Through self-directed play, children follow their interests, explore the unknown, link outcomes with choices, conquer their fears and make friends.

Clinically, play is good for children’s health, hence they can play all day, that is, if some sort of check is not put in place. In Ndoki area, much like what obtains in other climes, the chattering voices of children are occasionally heard re-echoing from the streams as they jump and swim away. The girls will splash water and chase-about one another at the shallow areas while the boys, in their characteristic bravado, maneuver tree branches to plunge into the deep. At home under the shade of big udari or ugba trees in and around the neighborhoods, children continue to have fun as they group themselves in their play.

But despite these plays children indulge in at daytime, there are equally the ones they engage in by moonlight. However, in the course of this discussion, we would not include other entertainment activities of moonlight which abound. For example Oku-kpum or Eru-Onwa masquerades of the Azumini areas, which swiftly jumps and summersaults. And the Ari-ada which expands and contracts in size as it performs. We would concentrate on the moonlight play as practiced by children.

Here, the ‘children,’ mostly within the age range of five to 15 gather themselves for play activities which include storytelling, tongue twisting, riddles, hide-and-seek, dancing, singing choreography, group dynamics and so much more. Play activities during moonlight in the culture of Ndoki people is known as egwu-onwa.

The Ndoki are an Igbo-speaking group which inhabit a vast area located around the southern most fringe of the Imo river and sprawls into three states of Nigeria, namely Abia, Akwa Ibom and Rivers. They are mainly farmers, traders and fishermen.

Moonlight play in Ndoki is carried out at nights when the moon is full, or whenever it gives enough light for visibility. It is played during the dry season. Those who participate in the play are usually between the ages of fives and fifteen years. It could be more or less. The play is a recreational activity which commences especially after dinner and runs into the night. It is characterized by a wide spectrum of activities which include songs, précis and responses, wrestling, dance/choreography, mimes, riddles, puzzles, story telling, group dynamics and so on. The origin of moonlight play in Ndoki may not be clear but it seems to date back to the beginning of the Ndoki as a people. These plays take place within the courtyard of a family or compound, especially for the very young children. But it is organized around the compound square or meeting ground for the more grown-up ones. It could last from the period after dinner to midnight, when everyone in the village may have retired for the day.

To begin the play, the leader of the children or anyone else usually shouts or calls – ota-e, ota-e! and the response will be uwuu! At this time all the children will dash out of their houses, abandoning whatever irrelevancies they may be engaged in. After being through with their home chores. All will head to the usual square where they would either sit or squat, depending on what the leader may direct. It is worthy of note that the leader may be the eldest, the most vocal or the most domineering among them.

When he or she calls outs, the children respond:
Leader: Ota-e!
Response: Uwuu!
Leader: Ota-e!

Leader: Eze elu kwe gi (if you lose all upper row of your teeth) Eze ala kwe gi (If you lose all lower row of your teeth). Gi were umoro ta aki (then you chew palm kernel with your bare gum)
Ota-e!

The literal meaning of the call may well be unconnected with the actual expression of invitation to come out for the play, but the outright communication it draws out is all that matters in this case.

As the children begin to converge, they may quickly draw out a game by forming a circle. They stand side-by-side one another holding each hands of the adjacent person in a circular form. The leader may sing:

Leader: Akpankolo
Response: Kpankolo
Leader: Udumee
Response: Egele
Leader: Onye omara
Response: Soro ya-ya-ya-soro yaaa!

While still holding hands following the tempo, they run side ways, clock wise or anti-clockwise, At the termination of the song, everyone stoops down as quickly as possible. So as not to be the last to do so. But should anyone be spotted to have stooped last, He or she is carried by two stronger people who will grab his hands while the other holds the two legs. He is carried to an imaginary garbage dump, while the rest will jeer at the loser and singing thus:

Leader: Ebufuenu nwa’ruru ala o! (let’s throw away the mischievous child)
Response: Echi-echi amuta ozo!! (Tomorrow a better one will be born)

Otuka Victor Ucheoma is of National Museum, Port Harcourt

https://guardian.ng/art/egwu-onwa-among-the-ndoki-of-rivers-state/

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:35pm On Aug 19, 2021
Eastlink:
Crap

I love you dear, you gave them back to back. This girl is proud of you. Thank you for keeping the respect of your identity and tribe. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Ndoki is just a dialect of Igbo. Everything an Ndoki man says in Ndoki dialect, every Igbo man understands.

The Igbo Bible was first written in Ubani Igbo dialect, which borrows a lot from Ndoki dialect. This is because it was understood by every Igbo person.

Adolphus Wabara who was a former senate President, is an Ndoki-Igbo man, who represented the SE.

I'm proud of you love. You kept the Igbo respect and the 44 million Igbos and more in diaspora would surely be proud of you too kiss

5 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
Captain8:
see o....great Ijaw tribe is talking and common Igbo is also talking...... when did Igbo even become Ijaw mate that they want to sit on thesame high class table with the Ijaw?
how can you talk to Ijaw the greatest tribe in africa?

The thing about you is, when someone has finished argument you come after and drop comments. My Igbo men are always busy kiss, so when you want to make your arguments do it here and then, and don't drop any later , perhaps early in the morning.

If you want to argue, argue with precision and stop prolonging it. smiley
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by SaintBishop: 11:57pm On Aug 19, 2021
NikAustine:
Oga if they're not Igbo... Why is it or are they called "Igbo Etche?"

Cause when I see Igbo there it means they must be igbo.
It like someone being called Spanish Prince...we will all then agree he is Spanish na.

So I ask again...why are they called Igbo etche
Who ask for your opinion? As you don't have purpose in this life apart from kissing igbo people ass why not kill yourself so that your pathetic ancestors can rest in peace? Mumu.
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 12:12am On Aug 20, 2021
SaintBishop:
And yet you keep getting rejected by the ikewerres, the Okrikans, the kalabaris. Suck to be you.

At Calabar, when an Ikwere man came to introduce himself to me. He said he was from Rivers and his a proud Igbo man. That's why I don't believe anything you guys say online.

He was even rapping Igbo and couldn't allow me to speak English to him. I told him, do people have the same idealogy in your place, he proudly said 'Yes"

I brought up this discussion, about Ikwerre denying they are Igbos. He was like he doesn't know, but the majority of ikwerres say they are Igbo and proud of their ancestry.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 12:17am On Aug 20, 2021
theTranslator:
lol
Dumb0 no fit answer question lol grin
Mythology ko
Your father is a dumbass

Idiot no fit answer question

cheesy

You always come when the argument has died down, my Igbo men kiss are always busy, so if you want to speak, dear, you speak here and then, and not run afterwards and come the next day to finish off... People no get that time grin

I LOOOOVVEEE THE IGBO PEOPLE, and TRIBE AS A WHOLE kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ThickSharon123(f): 12:20am On Aug 20, 2021
theTranslator:
I am Yorùbá smiley
Only my sub group Egba has more achievement than all eboe

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Laugh finish me ooooo
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by SaintBishop: 12:35am On Aug 20, 2021
ThickSharon123:

At Calabar, when an Ikwere man came to introduce himself to me. He said he was from Rivers and his a proud Igbo man. That's why I don't believe anything you guys say online.

He was even rapping Igbo and couldn't allow me to speak English to him. I told him, do people have the same idealogy in your place, he proudly said 'Yes"

I brought up this discussion, about Ikwerre denying they are Igbos. He was like he doesn't know, but the majority of ikwerres say they are Igbo and proud of their ancestry.

smiley
What do you want me to do now? Tbh, i don't really care if the ikwerres are igbos or not. undecided
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Liebermantic: 1:02am On Aug 20, 2021
Captain8:
oya go to Ndoki land and tell them they are not Ijaw na.....

if it well sure for you that ndokis are not proud of their Ijaw, then stop arguing with us online....but dont made the mistake going to ndoki land to say they are not Ijaw oo, because will come back with one eye oo..
Why is the Igbo spoken in Bonny and Opobo the same with the version of one spoken and understood by Ndoki people?
Very soon, Bonny and Opobo will read the history documented before 1967, not fake history from Ijaw land grabbers..
Asimini, Odum, Oko jumbo, edimini, Ndoli etc are all Igbo people who ruled Bonny ..Even the Present King of Bonny is from Asimini lineage just like the king of Opobo came from Jaja's lineage..All are Igbos..The Ijaw inclination is due to Oil politics

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Eastlink(m): 1:49am On Aug 20, 2021
ThickSharon123:

I love you dear, you gave them back to back. This girl is proud of you. Thank you for keeping the respect of your identity and tribe. kiss
Lol, I'm flabbergasted. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by melodyogonna(m): 2:16am On Aug 20, 2021
theTranscriber:
lol
literature critics and contemporary unbiased historians such as Forsyth showed that the book was just a big cumulation of lies
In which book did Forsyth show this?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: Why I Will Pick Tinubu Over Osinbajo - Hon Bosun Oladele / FG Mulls Mandatory Savings Scheme For Nigerians / Meltdown In Nigeria Is Affecting Neighbouring Countries - Benin President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.