Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,225 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 (856225 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (834) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by kunbeeee: 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2021
Wawu! A new thread. Congratulations to all those who have received their PPRs, may Canada favour you all. To all those who were delayed, please do not give up, order your GCMS notes (if you have not done so already), address the issues raised and reapply.

Here to give my Landing Gist o.. as e dey hot.

School: Mcmaster University, Hamilton Ontario

Flight Details: Lufthansa, 21st August

Covid test: I did my Pre-departure PCR test with Medicaid in Ibadan on Thursday 19th August, 2021. The results were sent to my mail in the early hours of Saturday, 21st August.

ArriveCAN: After confirming negative PCR test, I downloaded the ArriveCAN app on my mobile phone & answered all the questions asked (flight details, passport information, vaccination status, PCR test results, quarantine plans etc.). After completing the form, I took a screenshot of the ArriveCAN receipt for future reference.
** Because somebody here already advised to register at the Switch Health Website if you will be landing in Toronto, as it makes the pre arrival testing process faster, I also did this. You can register here https://www.switchhealth.ca/en/travel/pearson/ **

Documents: Before heading to the airport, I printed the following documents:
• PCR test result
• Enrolment letter
• Study Permit Approval Letter
• Proof of Tuition payment
• Acceptance letter
• Bank statements
• Rental agreement for where I will be staying during the 14 days quarantine

Check-in /Boarding process: I arrived at MMIA Lagos at about 4pm. I travelled with my boo and we had a total 4 check in bags, 2 cabin luggage as well as our back packs.
Upon entry in the airport, we were directed to the customs officials, who asked us what we have in our bags. Of course this was where we started being billed. LOL!
After this, we went to weigh our luggage. The weight limit for check in luggage was 23kg each. While that of cabin luggage and backpack were 8kg and 4kg respectively. All 4 of our check-in luggage were between 23.5kg and 24.5kg. Cabin luggage and backpacks were way above the limits but the person in charge was gracious enough to give us a pass sha. wink
** I was kuku expecting the person that will come and tell me to pay 6k for yellow card. So, I can use him or her to catch cruise. Alas, nobody showed up. **
Then we went for document verification. I was asked for my negative PCR test results, Passport as well as my enrolment letter. Because my enrolment letter did not state my date of resumption (September 7), I was asked for my class schedule and then I was cleared for boarding. We sha chilled in the airport till we boarded the flight at about 10pm.

Flight/Stopover: During the stopover in Frankfurt, I went through another document verification process where I tendered my negative PCR test results and my boarding pass.
If you will have a long layover in Frankfurt, you can take advantage of their Hollywood booths where you can watch selected movies for free. I slept wella here!!
Abeg, the flight to Toronto was very very bumpy and the guy seating behind me kept using his legs to push my chair. I almost changed it for the guy o embarassed.

Arrival in Canada: I did a self-verification which involved scanning my passport and answering some questions about purpose of visit, vaccination status, expected duration of stay in canada etc. Then a receipt was printed, which I had to use throughout the arrival process.
There were some very strict officers o. Telling people to stand aside and all. One girl was even sent back to the queue because she wasn’t wearing her mask properly. Me I was sha praying o, because I didn’t escape Buhari just to be sent back at POE. When it was my turn, I was asked for the receipt (from the self-verification process), my passport, purpose of visit, school & course name, vaccination status, enrolment letter, Arrivecan receipt, proof of accommodation for quarantine etc. Then I was told to go.
This part was funny, because I had seen the officers giving a paper to some people when they leave and I assumed this was the study permit. So, when the lady said I could go, I was like is that all? (In my mind, “Ogbeni, where is my study permit now?”) But turns out the paper was like a pamphlet for vaccinated people.
After this, I was separated from bae, because he is a PR. Then I was directed to another set of officers who actually issue the study permit. I was asked for my passport & acceptance letter, how much of tuition I have paid, where I will be quarantining etc. and then my study permit was given to me!!!
I went to get my luggage. I actually waited for my luggage for almost an hour. They kept apologizing for the delay through the PA system but luggage no come out. This was quite frustrating sha. After finally receiving my luggage, I went for the arrival PCR test. Guys!! This is where the registration at the switch health website is important o. If you see the long queue, I avoided just because I told them I was already registered. In-fact the whole testing process did not even take up to 10 minutes. So please, register at the website before travelling.

I know my gist is long but you people should manage it like that grin

105 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by onomss: 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2021
God let your mercy prevail on this thread. My testimony is typed just waiting to add PPR date. I am receiving quotes with congratulations on this thread. Amen

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by makano: 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2021
Hello Sumam

You can make google your best friend as regards your first question. Better still, Lekiboboe who is considered the walking google here when it comes to related courses and schools can give you some suggestions as regards that..

For the second question, a spousal permit is a better option when applying for your spouse when you are already in Canada, visiting is mostly used for the kids..

Peace
Sumam:
Good day guys.

Pls I need help: With Bsc Business Admin and Msc Marketing, which universities can you recommend for PhD programs that ielts or GMAT is not required & they have funding opportunities.

Secondly - Applying for spouse, which is better with study permit (Swop or visiting visa)

Thanking you in advance
@justmellow @ makano, other gurus plsssssss
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2021
Please I have a question for Fanshawe student's because I dont trust my agent. I asked her to defer my admission and they said it was done but the school said I won't get the new LOA until they see my denial letter or approval letter.

Is this how Fanshawe operates?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by kunbeeee: 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
Oya let us see your face now wink
Lekiboboe:

I wonder how this dude looks like ---- BOMBACLAT!!!!! cheesy grin
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Kennyking1234: 4:20pm On Aug 25, 2021
D
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Lekiboboe: 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2021
kunbeeee:
Oya let us see your face now wink
Mafoo cool

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Lani84: 4:39pm On Aug 25, 2021
Good day my people.

Please we are in hot water o.

My sister applied to University of Calgary and got admitted for September 2021. Paid full fees and accommodation to support her visa application. She submitted her visa application on May 21st and has not heard back. GCMS notes show that eligibility has not even started. To avoid stories that touch, she opted not to start online in case her visa is not approved. She requested a deferral and the school has just today said no. Her options are: withdraw and re-apply later OR start online.

If she withdraws, won't the school notify IRCC and they will cancel her application? I can't even reach them to find out what happens to the fees.

If she starts online, and the visa is rejected, what happens?

We are looking for advice please and thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by gracedson: 4:41pm On Aug 25, 2021
kunbeeee:
Wawu! A new thread. Congratulations to all those who have received their PPRs, may Canada favour you all. To all those who were delayed, please do not give up, order your GCMS notes (if you have not done so already), address the issues raised and reapply.

Covid test: I did my Pre-departure PCR test with Medicaid in Ibadan on Thursday 19th August, 2021. The results were sent to my mail in the early hours of Saturday, 21st August.

ArriveCAN: After confirming negative PCR test, I downloaded the ArriveCAN app on my mobile phone & answered all the questions asked (flight details, passport information, vaccination status, PCR test results, quarantine plans etc.). After completing the form, I took a screenshot of the ArriveCAN receipt for future reference.
** Because somebody here already advised to register at the Switch Health Website if you will be landing in Toronto, as it makes the pre arrival testing process faster, I also did this. You can register here https://www.switchhealth.ca/en/travel/pearson/ **

• PCR test result
• Enrolment letter
• Acceptance letter
• Bank statements

Check-in /Boarding process: I arrived at MMIA Lagos at about 4pm. I travelled with my boo and we had a total 4 check in bags, 2 cabin luggage as well as our back packs.
Upon entry in the airport, we were directed to the customs officials, who asked us what we have in our bags. Of course this was where we started being billed. LOL!
After this, we went to weigh our luggage. The weight limit for check in luggage was 23kg each. While that of cabin luggage and backpack were 8kg and 4kg respectively. All 4 of our check-in luggage were between 23.5kg and 24.5kg. Cabin luggage and backpacks were way above the limits but the person in charge was gracious enough to give us a pass sha. wink
** I was kuku expecting the person that will come and tell me to pay 6k for yellow card. So, I can use him or her to catch cruise. Alas, nobody showed up. **
Then we went for document verification. I was asked for my negative PCR test results, Passport as well as my enrolment letter. Because my enrolment letter did not state my date of resumption (September 7), I was asked for my class schedule and then I was cleared for boarding. We sha chilled in the airport till we boarded the flight at about 10pm.

Flight/Stopover: During the stopover in Frankfurt, I went through another document verification process where I tendered my negative PCR test results and my boarding pass.
If you will have a long layover in Frankfurt, you can take advantage of their Hollywood booths where you can watch selected movies for free. I slept wella here!!
Abeg, the flight to Toronto was very very bumpy and the guy seating behind me kept using his legs to push my chair. I almost changed it for the guy o embarassed.

Arrival in Canada: I did a self-verification which involved scanning my passport and answering some questions about purpose of visit, vaccination status, expected duration of stay in canada etc. Then a receipt was printed, which I had to use throughout the arrival process.
There were some very strict officers o. Telling people to stand aside and all. One girl was even sent back to the queue because she wasn’t wearing her mask properly. Me I was sha praying o, because I didn’t escape Buhari just to be sent back at POE. When it was my turn, I was asked for the receipt (from the self-verification process), my passport, purpose of visit, school & course name, vaccination status, enrolment letter, Arrivecan receipt, proof of accommodation for quarantine etc. Then I was told to go.
This part was funny, because I had seen the officers giving a paper to some people when they leave and I assumed this was the study permit. So, when the lady said I could go, I was like is that all? (In my mind, “Ogbeni, where is my study permit now?”) But turns out the paper was like a pamphlet for vaccinated people.
After this, I was separated from bae, because he is a PR. Then I was directed to another set of officers who actually issue the study permit. I was asked for my passport & acceptance letter, how much of tuition I have paid, where I will be quarantining etc. and then my study permit was given to me!!!
I went to get my luggage. I actually waited for my luggage for almost an hour. They kept apologizing for the delay through the PA system but luggage no come out. This was quite frustrating sha. After finally receiving my luggage, I went for the arrival PCR test. Guys!! This is where the registration at the switch health website is important o. If you see the long queue, I avoided just because I told them I was already registered. In-fact the whole testing process did not even take up to 10 minutes. So please, register at the website before travelling.

let me Like and comment before reading.

11 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by obilec: 4:53pm On Aug 25, 2021
[/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by obilec: 4:54pm On Aug 25, 2021
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Victoryokondu: 4:56pm On Aug 25, 2021
Lani84:
Good day my people.

My sister applied to University of Calgary and got admitted for September 2021. Paid full fees and accommodation to support her visa application. She submitted her visa application on May 21st and has not heard back. GCMS notes show that eligibility has not even started. To avoid stories that touch, she opted not to start online in case her visa is not approved. She requested a deferral and the school has just today said no. Her options are: withdraw and re-apply later OR start online.

If she withdraws, won't the school notify IRCC and they will cancel her application? I can't even reach them to find out what happens to the fees.

For starters go to the school website and check for their refund policies in the event of a withdrawal that will answer the question of fees.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by obilec: 4:56pm On Aug 25, 2021
kunbeeee:

• PCR test result
• Enrolment letter
• Acceptance letter
• Bank statements

Omo I nor sabi use this nairaland quote feature. Please can I send you a message? Congrats
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Peacekid(m): 5:01pm On Aug 25, 2021
dotoracs:
They are yet to get across to my school and mu application is almost 5 months old.

My own supervisor told me they contacted them last week to verify the authenticity of funding and academic documents.

March 6th applicant
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by lobinche101(m): 5:01pm On Aug 25, 2021
Lani84:
Good day my people.

first thing first you need to calm down and no that you are not in any hot water. Before the gurus comes around to find a lasting solution,i think u have to take a decision really. i have seen people here who got their admission withdrawn, applied to either same or new DLI and are in canada now. i have also seen numerous cases where people start online, spent even the entire first year here in nigeria and stilll got approval. in short take a decision but try to carry your course adviser along.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 25, 2021
Please somebody answer abeg
Blazca:
Please I have a question for Fanshawe student's because I dont trust my agent. I asked her to defer my admission and they said it was done but the school said I won't get the new LOA until they see my denial letter or approval letter.

Is this how Fanshawe operates?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by nwauwa(m): 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2021
Blazca:
Please somebody answer abeg
NOT true, they send a new LOA. my cousin was in same boat and got a new LOA.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by demmyg4real: 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2021
makano:
“Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou taken up and cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that what he saith cometh to pass; he shall have it.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭11:23‬ ‭

“Therefore I say unto you, All things whatsoever ye pray and ask for, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭11:24‬

To all TRV hopefuls, this Part 20 shall rain approval testimonies all through in JESUS NAME. AMEN...

This Part 20 shall not pass you by, if you believe, let your Amen show it...

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL.. IT WILL END IN PRAISE

PEACE

Amen ijn

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by nwauwa(m): 5:10pm On Aug 25, 2021
I've been trying to pay visa fees of CAD $150 with my usd mastercard but keep error 481. pls anyone know what could be the problem?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by SwayB(m): 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2021
here we go
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Lani84: 5:13pm On Aug 25, 2021
Victoryokondu:

For starters go to the school website and check for their refund policies in the event of a withdrawal that will answer the question of fees.

Thanks! I will do that as well
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by nwauwa(m): 5:13pm On Aug 25, 2021
pls who paid visa fees recently (cad 150) and how did you pay? i need to submit this application today
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by SwayB(m): 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
nwauwa:
I've been trying to pay visa fees of CAD $150 with my usd mastercard but keep error 481. pls anyone know what could be the problem?
you can't pay with your MasterCard. it has a monthly limit of only $100. you need to get some with a domiciliary account who is trust worthy to pay for you or better still google barter by flutterwave and pay through it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2021
Do you mean your supervisor in school? Which supervisor do you mean, please?

Peacekid:

My own supervisor told me they contacted them last week to verify the authenticity of funding and academic documents.

March 6th applicant

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by nwauwa(m): 5:18pm On Aug 25, 2021
SwayB:

you can't pay with your MasterCard. it has a monthly limit of only $100. you need to get some with a domiciliary account who is trust worthy to pay for you or better still google barter by flutterwave and pay through it.
Usd master card is what I have been using
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 25, 2021
Thanks
nwauwa:

NOT true, they send a new LOA. my cousin was in same boat and got a new LOA.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Lekiboboe: 5:21pm On Aug 25, 2021
Sumam:
Good day guys.

Pls I need help: With Bsc Business Admin and Msc Marketing, which universities can you recommend for PhD programs that ielts or GMAT is not required & they have funding opportunities.

Secondly - Applying for spouse, which is better with study permit (Swop or visiting visa)

Thanking you in advance
@justmellow @ makano, other gurus plsssssss

Hi

While you await a response to your queries,

THESE ARE MY OWN SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU

To your first question, you might need to do some research on schools offering Business and Marketing programs at PH.D Level that don't require GMAT.

If there are schools that insist you need GMAT, you can try write a REQUEST FOR A GMAT WAIVER to the Graduate Coordinator or Admission Manager of the program, see the link below for a;

Sample Letter to waive GMAT in CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES (Avoid Plagiarism to the bare minimum)
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/99#90667909

If your GMAT REQUEST LETTER is convincing to them, it might be waived for you.

As regards IELTS for admission purpose, if you are a Nigerian, you don't need it, cos they know Nigeria is an English Speaking Country, the IELTS in admission requirements of Canadian Universities (DLI) are for Non-English speaking countries e.g Vietnam, Indian , Philippine etc.

If the school in Canada one way or the other require an ENGLISH PROFICIENCY from you, get a LETTER OF CONFIRMATION OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY LETTER (TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN FORMAT) from the THE SCHOOL YOU DID YOUR M.SC AND B.SC in NIGERIA. In a situation whereby you can't get both, at least try to get one of them, it would suffice. This letter can be gotten from your SCHOOL REGISTRAR in the senate or better still go to the EXAM AND RECORDS OFFCIE they should be able to guide you on how to get the letter

FOR SCHOLARSHIP,
If you are interested in doing your PHD in BUSIINESS ANALYTICS RESEARCH AREA or AREAS
https://www.nairaland.com/6567181/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/556#104551146

You can also apply the contents in the link above to your PROSPECTIVE RESEARCH AREAS IN OTHER BUSINESS FIELDS AND MARKETING

That being said, take your time and do thorough research on the below PHD programs (OPOOOOR!!!!) and check their faculty for their Business and Marketing Professors, then connect with them based on your RESEARCH AREA (FOCUS) as it aligns with their Areas of Research, publications, projects etc., cos you need to be accepted by a professor (supervisor) before you can begin your PHD ADMISSION APPLICATION

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Marketing
University of British Columbia, British Columbia

PhD in Management
University of Guelph, Ontario

PhD in Management
McGill University, Quebec

PhD in Management
Queen's University, Ontario

Ph.D. in Management
University of Toronto, Ontario

PhD in Business Administration
York University, Ontario

PhD in Management
Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario

Doctoral Program in Management (PhD)
Queen's University, Ontario

PhD in Management
University of Calgary, Alberta

McMaster University, Ontario

Concordia University, Quebec

Western University, Ontario

McMaster University, Ontario

York University, Ontario

PhD in Business
University of Alberta, Alberta

Simon Fraser University, British Columbia

Doctor of Business Administration
Royal Roads University, British Columbia

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Strategy and Business Economics

Doctor of business administration (DBA)
University of Calgary, Alberta

PhD in Business Administration (Management)
Saint Mary's University, Nova Scotia

Doctor of Business Administration, DBA
Athabasca University, Alberta

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Accounting

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Finance

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Management Information Systems

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Management Science

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Marketing

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Organizational Behaviour

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Transportation and Logistics

Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration in Urban Land Economics

PhD in Management
University of Manitoba, Manitoba

PhD in Management
Carleton University, Ontario

PhD in management
Memorial University of Newfoundland, Newfoundland and Labrador

PhD in International Management and Organization
University of Victoria, British Columbia

Lots of point and kill PHD Programs for you in Canada, so do your due diligence and try not to put all your eggs in one basket i.e Make sure you try all the programs, schools by contacting professors as much as you can, cos you wouldn't know the one that's gonna give you scholarship opportunity or opportunities, but note that, 76% of PHD PROGRAMS in CANADA if not all are SCHOLARSHIP EMBEDDED (FULLY-FUNDED)

As regards your second question, await response from the gurus and other members of this platform

Good luck!!!

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Peacekid(m): 5:21pm On Aug 25, 2021
nairagrounds:
Do you mean your supervisor in school? Which supervisor do you mean, please?

Yeah
MSc supervisor
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Temtem12: 5:21pm On Aug 25, 2021
Please i submitted my application may 16th and I haven’t gotten an update from ICC
Please what can i do? I’m meant to resume September 12th
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Lani84: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2021
lobinche101:

first thing first you need to calm down and no that you are not in any hot water. Before the gurus comes around to find a lasting solution,i think u have to take a decision really. i have seen people here who got their admission withdrawn, applied to either same or new DLI and are in canada now. i have also seen numerous cases where people start online, spent even the entire first year here in nigeria and stilll got approval. in short take a decision but try to carry your course adviser along.

Okay, thanks so much for responding!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2021
Wow! Did you requested any info from him? I mean for him to reveal such thing to you. I'd like to find out something similar from my school, too. What was your approach, please?

Peacekid:

Yeah
MSc supervisor
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 by Oyesquare10: 5:30pm On Aug 25, 2021
No PPR news today yet sad

Should I say they are currently focused on Afghanistans refugees and they have little staffs assigned to Study stream

Don't mind me, these people are really making me to overthink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (834)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.