Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,572 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell (6555 Views)

⚫Those Who Speak In Tongues and those who Believe In Jesus Can Never Go To Hell / Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 11:39am On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
According to what is written of it in Mark 16 vs 17 - 18 , it is given as a sign that one believes. So, you don't have to first know of it before you are marked. undecided

Now that I don't believe?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Hismasterpiece(m): 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

May be you need to reread your own response again. How many times have you seen anybody interpret speaking in tongues? How many times have you seen any group follow Paul’s injunctions concerning interpretation of speaking in tongues? Going by the criteria you laid out if these are not obeyed then they are not speaking in tongues.

The problem with your approach is you want to negate my experience but you can’t do it without negating yours.

I see. So when you were a believer you witnessed people speaking in tongues without giving an interpretation. I can understand that.

Truth be told, i never have seen anyone give an interpretation.

But that doesn't mean it can't happen. I've read and heard accounts of people speaking in tongues and interpreting.

Just because you haven't experience it doesn't mean the scripture isn't true.

By the way you never told me what denomination you belonged to and what their beliefs are, so i can't trust your experience more than i do scripture.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
LoL! You are simply enjoying the euphoria that comes when speaking in tongues because it is affecting your brain. I feel this euphoria too, it’s not evidence of your god’s power. They did studies with MRI while people were speaking in tongues and they could see it affect the brain. If it was your god’s power by now you should have been able to change water to wine or gone into a hospital and healed everybody there.
What euphoria comes with speaking in tongues? undecided
Affect their brain in what way? undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:00pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
Now that I don't believe?
And you know what else, if i am not mistaken, you were also born-again...you ate communion at one point, were water baptized and so born of spirit(not to be confused with Holy Spirit) aka saved. grin

Speaking in tongues(even the silly speaking in gibberish) is a spirit thing - it is operated by spirit - not to be confused with Holy Spirit. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:05pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
And you know what else, if i am not mistaken, you were also born-again...you ate communion at one point, were water baptized and so born of spirit(not to be confused with Holy Spirit) aka saved. grin

Speaking in tongues(even the silly speaking in gibberish) is a spirit thing - it is operated by spirit - not to be confused with Holy Spirit. undecided

So the god choose me despite knowing I would become an atheist?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What euphoria comes with speaking in tongues? undecided
Affect their brain in what way? undecided

Neuroimaging of brain activity during glossolalia does not show activity in the language areas of the brain. In other words, it may be characterized by a specific brain activity and it can be a learned behaviour.
A 1973 experimental study highlighted the existence of two basic types of glossolalia: a static form which tends to a somewhat coaction to repetitiveness and a more dynamic one which tends to free association of speech-like elements.
A study done by the American Journal of Human Biology found that speaking in tongues was associated with both a reduction in circulatory cortisol, and enhancements in alpha-amylase enzyme activity – two common biomarkers of stress reduction that can be measured in saliva. Several sociological studies report various social benefits to engaging in Pentecostal glossolalia, such as an increase in self-confidence
SOURCE
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
He chose you? undecided

Nah! He sent His Law, Jesus Christ, into the world so that those who would chose Him can gain access to Him through His Law, Jesus Christ. I think you had better read John 3 vs 16 - 21 again. You chose to believe in Him at one time and then you chose to give up on that endeavor it seems... undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

Neuroimaging of brain activity during glossolalia does not show activity in the language areas of the brain. In other words, it may be characterized by a specific brain activity and it can be a learned behaviour.
A 1973 experimental study highlighted the existence of two basic types of glossolalia: a static form which tends to a somewhat coaction to repetitiveness and a more dynamic one which tends to free association of speech-like elements.
A study done by the American Journal of Human Biology found that speaking in tongues was associated with both a reduction in circulatory cortisol, and enhancements in alpha-amylase enzyme activity – two common biomarkers of stress reduction that can be measured in saliva. Several sociological studies report various social benefits to engaging in Pentecostal glossolalia, such as an increase in self-confidence
SOURCE
Oh, Stress reduction is what you describe as euphoria? undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
He chose you? undecided

Nah! He sent His Law, Jesus Christ, into the world so that those who would chose Him can gain access to Him through His Law, Jesus Christ. I think you had better read John 3 vs 16 - 21 again. You chose to believe in Him at one time and then you chose to give up on that endeavor it seems... undecided

You said:
Kobojunkie:
According to what is written of it in Mark 16 vs 17 - 18 , it is given as a sign that one believes. So, you don't have to first know of it before you are marked. undecided
In response to when I said I spoke it as a child before I even knew of believing in Jesus. So according to you I was marked to have it despite the god knowing I would become an atheist?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Oh, Stress reduction is what you describe as euphoria? undecided

Check what the alpha-amylase enzyme does.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

You said:
In response to when I said I spoke it as a child before I even knew of believing in Jesus. So according to you I was marked to have it despite the god knowing I would become an atheist?
Maybe I got you wrong then. You are saying that this speaking in tongues you talk of was from when you were a child and not as an adult? Care to expand on what you refer to as speaking in tongues then? undecided

According to Mark 16 vs 17 - 18, the mark is on those who believe in Jesus Christ. So, if you never believed in Jesus Christ, you can't be marked by Him. It has little or nothing to do with being "chosen". undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I see. So when you were a believer you witnessed people speaking in tongues without giving an interpretation. I can understand that.

Truth be told, i never have seen anyone give an interpretation.

But that doesn't mean it can't happen. I've read and heard accounts of people speaking in tongues and interpreting.

Just because you haven't experience it doesn't mean the scripture isn't true.

By the way you never told me what denomination you belonged to and what their beliefs are, so i can't trust your experience more than i do scripture.

This is one of the challenges, most of these things are something you heard second hand. You yourself have never witnessed interpretation going on yet I bet the church you attend has people praying in tongues very openly. If none of you know what the next person is saying how is your situation now different?

You never asked what denomination I was of or what they believed. I'll tell you anyway, I attended Living Faith Church aka Winners for 25+ years and if you know Winners you'll know they firmly believe in the same things you are saying.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
Check what the alpha-amylase enzyme does.
According to Wiki, it is a digestive enzyme. undecided
Alpha-amylase, is an enzyme EC 3.2.1.1 that hydrolyses alpha bonds of large, alpha-linked polysaccharides, such as starch and glycogen, yielding shorter chains thereof, dextrins, and maltose. It is the major form of amylase found in humans and other mammals.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Hismasterpiece(m): 1:37pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

This is one of the challenges, most of these things are something you heard second hand. You yourself have never witnessed interpretation going on yet I bet the church you attend has people praying in tongues very openly. If none of you know what the next person is saying how is your situation now different?

You never asked what denomination I was of or what they believed. I'll tell you anyway, I attended Living Faith Church aka Winners for 25+ years and if you know Winners you'll know they firmly believe in the same things you are saying.

I don't just believe it because i heard stories about it. I believe it because it is written.

Let me ask you a question. When you were a Christian was it because of a personal conviction you had or because your parents were Christians and took you to church with them every sunday?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
According to Wiki, it is a digestive enzyme. undecided

It breaks down sugars to the kind found during the preparation of malted drinks and alcohol. So you have someone who is relaxed and having sugar enter his bloodstream how do you expect such a person would feel?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I don't just believe it because i heard stories about it. I believe it because it is written.

Let me ask you a question. When you were a Christian was it because of a personal conviction you had or because your parents were Christians and took you to church with them every sunday?

You believe what you read in written stories, not much different from the ones you heard.

I became a believer in Jesus before my parents and siblings. It was a personal conviction and not because anybody forced me, I professed Jesus of my own accord.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

It breaks down sugars to the kind found during the preparation of malted drinks and alcohol. So you have someone who is relaxed and having sugar enter his bloodstream how do you expect such a person would feel?
Pretty much the same way I would feel after eating say a big bowl of rice which has alpha-1,4 bonds of large polysaccharides? undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:54pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Maybe I got you wrong then. You are saying that this speaking in tongues you talk of was from when you were a child and not as an adult? Care to expand on what you refer to as speaking in tongues then? undecided

According to Mark 16 vs 17 - 18, the mark is on those who believe in Jesus Christ. So, if you never believed in Jesus Christ, you can't be marked by Him. It has little or nothing to do with being "chosen". undecided

I spoke in tongues or had experience of glossolalia when I was a child. It was something my siblings and I did as a form of play amongst ourselves. At that point we didn't know that the concept of speaking in tongues was even a thing, we just did it when playing and even our parents didn't know what we were doing. Also we didn't know of believing in Jesus so it was not tied to any religious experience. Are you saying we were marked?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 1:57pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Pretty much the same way I would feel after eating say a big bowl of rice which has alpha-1,4 bonds of large polysaccharides? undecided

Sure, maybe not not with the same intensity but you would feel mildly euphoric. I just finished a meal of jollof rice myself and a big bottle of Fanta, I feel good I tell you.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
I spoke in tongues or had experience of glossolalia when I was a child. It was something my siblings and I did as a form of play amongst ourselves. At that point we didn't know that the concept of speaking in tongues was even a thing, we just did it when playing and even our parents didn't know what we were doing. Also we didn't know of believing in Jesus so it was not tied to any religious experience. Are you saying we were marked?
Can you expound on this experience of glossolalia? Was it just kids speaking nonsense of their own volition, or did it come with a feeling of being taken over by an invisible force and being made to emit strange sounding words? undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 2:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Can you expound on this experience of glossolalia? Was it just kids speaking nonsense of their own volition, or did it come with a feeling of being taken over by an invisible force and being made to emit strange sounding words? undecided

Nope, no feeling of being taken over, we did it at will. All glossolalia or speaking in tongues is the vocalisation of phonetic syllables, which was what we did. It did sound like we were speaking a foreign language to our ears.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
Nope, no feeling of being taken over, we did it at will. All glossolalia or speaking in tongues is the vocalisation of phonetic syllables, which was what we did. It did sound like we were speaking a foreign language to our ears.
Speaking in tongues or in gibberish tongues is not willed by the one through whom the sound comes from but by the spirit(again not to be confused with Holy Spirit) controlling the tongue. undecided

I thought you meant that you once spoke in tongues(spirit) while you were a Christian and the phenomenon never left you even after. I have read of some who no claim to no longer believe but still able to speak under the influence. undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 2:15pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Speaking in tongues or in gibberish tongues is not willed by the one through whom the sound comes from but by the spirit(again not to be confused with Holy Spirit) controlling the tongue. undecided

I thought you meant that you once spoke in tongues(spirit) while you were a Christian and the phenomenon never left you even after. I have read of some who no claim to no longer believe but still able to speak under the influence. undecided

I am saying there is no influence, it is something anybody can do. I spoke it before I became a Christian, I spoke it as a Christian and I can speak it now as an atheist. It is not "spirit" driven at all.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
I am saying there is no influence, it is something anybody can do. I spoke it before I became a Christian, I spoke it as a Christian and I can speak it now as an atheist. It is not "spirit" driven at all.
Again, what you describe is not it all. No it isn't something anyone can do, nor control. The gift is not willed by the speaker . undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 2:24pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
No it isn't something anyone can do, nor control. The gift is not willed by the speaker . undecided

Then how do you explain all the non-christians that do it?
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 2:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
Then how do you explain all the non-christians that do it?
I can't explain all since some of them maybe like you, making it happen of their own will. undecided

But what I said earlier is true. It is a mark given to those who believe. I once spoke in gibberish back many many many years ago in college myself. It was for a couple of days after which I was glad to be rid of the thing. I hated the feeling of having my mind and body manipulated by some force I knew next to nothing of. undecided
I wanted to believe in God, I thought and so I allowdd the words of this gal sink in to my head enough to successfully let my mental guard down and it happened. I would open my mouth to speak and all that would come forth were these syllables and words which may no sense to me...over and over it did. But the thrill quickly left me when I realized that I was simply repeating the same syllables and sounds over and over and knew nothing of what it was that came out of me. I was reminded of the Old ritual movies on TV and decided there and then that it was not worth it and tried to get rid of it but it continued. I eventually forgot about it since I stopped meeting with the gal and her group the next week.... but that don't mean the spirit or whatever it was, left. undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by GardenOfGod(m): 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
judemurphy:
Please, I have a question bothering my mind for a long time now,does speaking in tongues guarantee you a place in heaven or you can be speaking in tongues and still go to hell

2Timothy 4:6-8
6. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near.
7. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
That's the requirement to make heaven.

If you like speak in diversity of tongues, if you exhibit these properties of the devil in you, you are a candidate to hell.
1 Corinthians 6: 9-10
9. Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men a
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God

Walk out your salvation with fear and trembling....
Revelation 21:8
8. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

2 Peter. 1:3-9
3. His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
5. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6. and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7. and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
8. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.]

MaxInDHouse edi owo ekpinõi.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by LordReed(m): 4:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I can't explain all since some of them maybe like you, making it happen of their own will. undecided

But what I said earlier is true. It is a mark given to those who believe. I once spoke in gibberish back many many many years ago in college myself. It was for a couple of days after which I was glad to be rid of the thing. I hated the feeling of having my mind and body manipulated by some force I knew next to nothing of. undecided
I wanted to believe in God, I thought and so I allowdd the words of this gal sink in to my head enough to successfully let my mental guard down and it happened. I would open my mouth to speak and all that would come forth were these syllables and words which may no sense to me...over and over it did. But the thrill quickly left me when I realized that I was simply repeating the same syllables and sounds over and over and knew nothing of what it was that came out of me. I was reminded of the Old ritual movies on TV and decided there and then that it was not worth it and tried to get rid of it but it continued. I eventually forgot about it since I stopped meeting with the gal and her group the next week.... but that don't mean the spirit or whatever it was, left. undecided

I never felt nor do I feel manipulation when I speak in tongues, I am fully in control of all my faculties. Of course sometimes you do let the euphoria over take you and you break out into joyful singing and dancing.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
I never felt nor do I feel manipulation when I speak in tongues, I am fully in control of all my faculties. Of course sometimes you do let the euphoria over take you and you break out into joyful singing and dancing.
And for that very reason, you couldn't have been speaking of the very same phenomenon that is spoken of in the Bible. undecided

The sense of euphoria you speak of, also not biblical. undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Image123(m): 5:29pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

You believe what you read in written stories, not much different from the ones you heard.

I became a believer in Jesus before my parents and siblings. It was a personal conviction and not because anybody forced me, I professed Jesus of my own accord.

Remember to tell this to Samuel in your WhatsApp group. He keeps being myopic thinking everyone is like him, religious through birth.
Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Image123(m): 5:39pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

You're not the first duh, Judas was chosen directly by the very Lord Jesus. The Owner of all men can choose and use who and what He pleases. Don't think God is as petty as you are, except you repent, you're perishing still.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Speak In Tongues And Still Go To Hell by Image123(m): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:

According your same bible you should be able to do greater than Jesus yet with your speaking in tongues you have not changed water to wine talk less of doing greater. Call me when you do.

So you believe that turning all the water into wine would be greater?SMH.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Are You Righteous Enough To Make Heaven If Rapture/death Occurs Today? / Arming The Faithful Against Logic / Should A Christain Be Moved By A Horoscope Prediction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.