Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy (28479 Views)

Woman Abandons 4-Year-Old Child In Gambling Shop As Collateral After Huge Losses / Nigerian Couple Welcomes Triplets After 6 Years Of Infertility & Adopting A Baby / What Is The Cost And Procedures For Adopting A Baby In Nigeria- Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by gibzzhd: 2:55am On Sep 10, 2021
Awesome story I have read tonight. I have a close friend here in Port Harcourt who adopted a son about 2 yrs ago. The son is about 4 yrs now and doing so well with his father. Marriage is not for everyone and raising kids should be permitted for every one. We are gradually pulling the pull to get people free from mental slavery in this country. Gone are the days of the ancient land mark .if I don't want to marry let me be. It's not by force. Everyone have their life to live. My skeleton is not your own. Deal with yours.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Imustnottalk: 3:04am On Sep 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

Three years ago when questioned about his reason for adopting a female child, he mentioned the love of humanity as one of his reasons. The Nlder suggested volunteering at an orphanage which he replied "he rarely has time for himself....". How then should we expect such a person to have time to properly raise a three-year-old girl?! Remember, he is in his mid-20s.

Let's not forget that OP did not outline the process involved (his state of residence can be left out) in the thread and even when asked, he did not respond to their questions.
why are you more concerned about everything do you left a child at the orphanage and you are thinking the op has adopted her.you can't how I'm going to Live my life and I can't tell as well so always mind your business
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by HelipsTech: 6:31am On Sep 10, 2021
Ave always wanted to have a baby on or before my 25th birthday, but thanks to God, I am an awaiting father at the age of 22, e no easy sha but the feelings and responsibility gives me inner joy

I already love my babies
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Layormiii(f): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2021
Read through the thread and op avoided all the questions asking him about the procedure and amount and process of adopting a child undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Munzy14(m): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2021
zicoraads:

Omo...

WomenAScum abeg... grin cheesy

I go soon adopt pikin. Come buy one dog. Shikenan. C'est fini. grin
grin
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by greenie77: 9:21am On Sep 10, 2021
Layormiii:
Read through the thread and op avoided all the questions asking him about the procedure and amount and process of adopting a child undecided

For those asking him how they too can go about it, I was expecting him to give details on how to identify a registered orphanage, choosing a child, making an application, how he was interviewed, how social workers visited his home both expected and unexpectedly, how many times the toddler was presented before the magistrate to push the case for adoption etc.......If going through the legal route of adopting a child in Nigeria is a smooth ride, couples will not be patronizing baby factories.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Adaanna(f): 10:08am On Sep 10, 2021
@ Op God bless you for doing this.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Gerrard59(m): 10:50am On Sep 10, 2021
Imustnottalk:
why are you more concerned about everything do you left a child at the orphanage and you are thinking the op has adopted her.you can't how I'm going to Live my life and I can't tell as well so always mind your business

What was your grade in English when you wrote WASSCE (assuming you wrote it unlike Buhari)?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Imustnottalk: 11:37am On Sep 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

What was your grade in English when you wrote WASSCE (assuming you wrote it unlike Buhari)?
f9 better than you that did expo to pass .with all your good English you still don't have sense
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Youngsage: 11:59am On Sep 10, 2021
1Sharon:

He also said fornication is a sin, how many Nigerians obey that?

Hello Sharon, just stumbled on your last thread in the Islam section, kudos. I'm wondering why I can't leave a reply though. Any idea why the reply button is missing? First time I'm seeing that happen on here, seems strange

1 Like

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by FarmTech(m): 3:14pm On Sep 10, 2021
TMTR:

Look at our politicians today, infact look at our society in general, most if not all were raised in a religious background and how is that working out for us so far, Nigeria still ranks as one of the most corrupt countries and other negative indices while less religious countries are doing way better

Will rather teach her humanity
The problem with many Nigerian Christians is hypocrisy. For example, parents who are exposing their children to immoral celebrity programs, will u call them Christians? Yet, this is very rampant and the children will grow and follow the evil path celebrities show them. This is the major issue I see with fake Christians. But there are still good Christians.
Teaching her humanity isn't enof. It takes a change of heart for anyone to behave right. And only Christ can do that. Those so called countries u praise, are they not the ones that legalise abortion, prostitution, same sex marriage and other nonsense? Only Christ can truely save us from ALL sins. Money or prosperity is not everything. We have to always ask where we'll be after death.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by 1Sharon(f): 5:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
Youngsage:

Hello Sharon, just stumbled on your last thread in the Islam section, kudos. I'm wondering why I can't leave a reply though. Any idea why the reply button is missing? First time I'm seeing that happen on here, seems strange

Hmmm..I can see the reply button, try again
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by 1Sharon(f): 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2021
FarmTech:

The problem with many Nigerian Christians is hypocrisy. For example, parents who are exposing their children to immoral celebrity programs, will u call them Christians? Yet, this is very rampant and the children will grow and follow the evil path celebrities show them. This is the major issue I see with fake Christians. But there are still good Christians.
Teaching her humanity isn't enof. It takes a change of heart for anyone to behave right. And only Christ can do that. Those so called countries u praise, are they not the ones that legalise abortion, prostitution, same sex marriage and other nonsense? Only Christ can truely save us from ALL sins. Money or prosperity is not everything. We have to always ask where we'll be after death.

And their country is doing far better than yours. No Jesus needed.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Stereotypes: 6:01pm On Sep 10, 2021
Op's head may be in the right place but I think it is irresponsible of the adoption agency to let a mid twenties bachelor adopt a female child.

I have witnessed the hoops a couple have to go through to adopt so how did a single young guy get guardianship of a child ?

It's not like they are related ,even if they are related,the risk is way too high.

Why not adopt a male child like himself?

In Nigeria,where will the checks and balances be? What agency will be checking to make sure he's doing right?

Where will the stabilising influence for the child come from or will it be his relatives raising her?

I know how single mothers are attacked and told they cannot raise a male child properly, so how is this single very young guy going to manage a girl child? Even families with 2 parents struggle.

Op may have the right idea and be a wonderful person but this is odd especially because he went out of his way to adopt a girl.

I would like to aww with the rest of you but I'm too sceptical.

Best of luck to the baby .

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Topmaike007(m): 7:14pm On Sep 10, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Don't hold your breath
no give your Pikin up oo na beg I dey beg you
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
Topmaike007:
no give your Pikin up oo na beg I dey beg you
Lolz. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
greenie77:

For those asking him how they too can go about it, I was expecting him to give details on how to identify a registered orphanage, choosing a child, making an application, how he was interviewed, how social workers visited his home both expected and unexpectedly, how many times the toddler was presented before the magistrate to push the case for adoption etc.......If going through the legal route of adopting a child in Nigeria is a smooth ride, couples will not be patronizing baby factories.
I just hope its not baby factory cos Nigeria that I know would hardly give out a single male in his 20s a female toddler to raise.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
zicoraads:

Omo...

WomenAScum abeg... grin cheesy

I go soon adopt pikin. Come buy one dog. Shikenan. C'est fini. grin
Too toxic. Allow love penetrate ur soul
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Alldew: 1:12am On Sep 11, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Whenever you want to give her up for adoption kindly mention me. Good future gurantee
By good future what do mean. Answer pls.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Alldew: 1:16am On Sep 11, 2021
I'm sorry but this your baby girl adoption thing didn't go down well with me.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by TMTR: 5:46am On Sep 11, 2021
AutoChick4U:
I just hope its not baby factory cos Nigeria that I know would hardly give out a single male in his 20s a female toddler to raise.

Baby factory will deliver a child , feed and take of the child till she is three years plus Come on no baby factory will do that cause they sell the child almost immediately the child is delivered

Make Una dey reason things before Una dey talk am undecided
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by TMTR: 5:48am On Sep 11, 2021
Alldew:
I'm sorry but this your baby girl adoption thing didn't go down well with me.

I don hear, now go hit your head on the wall if it pains you that much

It's because of people like you I opted for a baby girl to prove y'all wrong.

Nonsense
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by TMTR: 5:59am On Sep 11, 2021
greenie77:

First of all,I never said it was a smooth ride adopting a child in Nigeria, if you read my post carefully , you will see where I said I began the process in mid 2018 and not until late 2018 before my application was granted , that is to say it took me almost half a year before I could adopt.

For those asking for the process, just get a good and popular lawyer especially the ones working with women affairs and NGOs , table your matter and be absolutely honest about everything. They will handle the rest cause those lawyers knows the registered orphanages and all the process involved, they will guide you through everything and the last but not the least be patient with everything cause you will need it.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by greenie77: 6:02am On Sep 11, 2021
TMTR:

First of all,I never said it was a smooth ride adopting a child in Nigeria, if you read my post carefully , you will see where I said I began the process in mid 2018 and not until late 2018 before my application was granted , that is to say it took me almost half a year before I could adopt.

For those asking for the process, just get a good and popular lawyer especially the ones working with women affairs and NGOs , table your matter and be absolutely honest about everything. They will handle the rest cause those lawyers knows the registered orphanages and all the process involved, they will guide you through everything and the last but not the least be patient with everything cause you will need it.

Ok. I will want to know if your daughter ever appeared before a Magistrate for her case to be pushed for adoption?
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 6:25am On Sep 11, 2021
TMTR:

Baby factory will deliver a child , feed and take of the child till she is three years plus Come on no baby factory will do that cause they sell the child almost immediately the child is delivered

Make Una dey reason things before Una dey talk am undecided
Well, what u did is admirable even though odd cos it doesn't happen often in this society. You can get her a Lil puppy to bond with as well
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 6:30am On Sep 11, 2021
TMTR:

I don hear, now go hit your head on the wall if it pains you that much

It's because of people like you I opted for a baby girl to prove y'all wrong.

Nonsense
Who grooms d Lil girl? Do u have a maid?
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 6:31am On Sep 11, 2021
Alldew:

By good future what do mean. Answer pls.
He meant he got money and connection to give her a good future as per alpha and omega wey him be
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by TMTR: 7:06am On Sep 11, 2021
greenie77:

Ok. I will want to know if your daughter ever appeared before a Magistrate for her her case to be pushed for adoption?

okay,let me just outline the process involved to the best of my knowledge because my lawyer practically handled everything and I was just being updated on the progress of everything because of my busy schedule.

First you write to the state ministry, ministry of women affairs and social development to be pricise accompanied with relevant documents like ID, A medical Certificate of fitness from a government hospital, Evidence of means you will use to take of the child be it business or gainful employment, passport photographs, if the ministry deems your application fit , they will then forward to the courts for processing , the courts will no now decide if to do an open Court hearing or in the chambers.

After that, the court will assign an Officer to inspect the applicants which includes home visits and even visits to your workplace and business to ascertain if all your documents are true and if you are capable of taking care of the child. The officer then reports then back to the court about his findings, if his report is positive, the child will now be given to you on probation for three months or more but mine was three months to see how well you will do with the child, only if you pass the probation will your adoption application be granted.

Mind you , the court still reserves the rights to revoke your adoption until the child turns 18 if they one day pay you an unexpected visit and found out that you maltreat the child or something like that. So always make you are treating the child right.

And to your question , yes she did appear in court

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by greenie77: 7:10am On Sep 11, 2021
TMTR:

okay,let me just outline the process involved to the best of my knowledge because my lawyer practically handled everything and I was just being updated on the progress of everything because of my busy schedule.

First you write to the state ministry, ministry of women affairs and social development to be pricise accompanied with relevant documents like ID, A medical Certificate of fitness from a government hospital, Evidence of means you will use to take of the child be it business or gainful employment, passport photographs, if the ministry deems your application fit , they will then forward to the courts for processing , the courts will no now decide if to do an open Court hearing or in the chambers.

After that, the court will assign an Officer to inspect the applicants which includes home visits and even visits to your workplace and business to ascertain if all your documents are true and if you are capable of taking care of the child. The officer then reports then back to the court about his findings, if his report is positive, the child will now be given to you on probation for three months or more but mine was three months to see how well you will do with the child, only if you pass the probation will your adoption application be granted.

Mind you , the court still reserves the rights to revoke your adoption until the child turns 18 if they one day pay you an unexpected visit and found out that you maltreat the child or something like that. So always make you are treating the child right.

And to your question , yes she did appear in court

Thanks for the details, it has now provided a clearer picture.
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by TMTR: 7:11am On Sep 11, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Who grooms d Lil girl? Do u have a maid?

I wouldn't call her a maid but she is distant relative that I am helping with her schooling, she is in the university, she does all the grooming apart from her hair, I take her to the saloon for that

1 Like

Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by AutoChick4U(f): 7:13am On Sep 11, 2021
TMTR:

I wouldn't call her a maid but she is distant relative that I am helping with her schooling, she is in the university, she does all the grooming apart from her hair, I take her to the saloon for that
OK thats good. All d best
Re: My Experience Adopting A Child In Nigeria As A Young Guy by Mrsoft3(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2021
AutoChick4U:

You don take this matter personal o. Wait is it that you don't like what the op did? Or you are talking from an ugly experience point of view?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Christmas Giveaway For A Single Mother / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married / His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.