Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception (8354 Views)

The Misconception About Votes From Northern Nigeria / Here Is The Man That Caused Disunity Among Yoruba And Igbo People / FFK: "Nnamdi Kanu Kept On Naval Warship Off The Coast Of Bayelsa By Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Efewestern: 3:06pm On Sep 08, 2021
Obdk:

Before you continue ur lies.
Which language is edoid..

Know basics before you quote me.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 3:07pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

Ok. Most people think I’m Igbo when they hear my first and last name.

Even me, I have always assume you to be an Igbo lady.

Nigeria is far more complex than most people know.

When I was in the university, I had a course mate and a friend whose surname is Omachi. For years, I thought he is an Igbo guy until one day we were gisting and someone referred to him as 'you Igbo people' and he told us that he isn't an igbo guy. He said he is from Benue!

Then most people only knew of 'The three major tribes' (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba) and anybody that wasn't Hausa or Yoruba was branded 'Omo igbo'

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Obdk: 3:11pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

What if I tell you that ;
Anye= Onye Omu= Umu ?
A ye = nwanyi
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Fejoku: 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2021
With those communities OP listed, I'll ensure to carry out real investigations on them by visiting some of them to put this matter to rest.
Now unto the Igbo(Ndokwa)/Isoko relationship, one can't understand them without understanding that history.
In the old days early 19th century, Aboh was the most powerful kingdom on the Niger up untill Idah in the Igala country. She heavily participated in slavery getting slaves from all around her area of influence and still buying from Idah. She will then sell those slaves to Brass who will either take the victims to Bonny or sell them straight to Brazilian slavers who inside the Brass rivers to evade British anti-slavery ships at that time because slave trade was abolished in 1807.
In those days ethnicity was very fluidy especially in the boundary areas. People moved around and settled wherever they get much food and less problems irrespective of the different language they encounter there. They just learn the language in some cases or muddle up the language with that of others to develop a slightly different language from both languages. If one language features more in the mixed language, it continues to share the same language classification with the predominant language around it. I can say confidently that I now understand Isokos claim of being distinct from Urhobo. Isokos might have originally been Urhobos but after the great exodus from Benin city, a lot of other edoids who fled passed through their territory and added to the mix. Such edoids are the Egenni, Epie-Atissa etc. One will notice that the Isokos have both LGAs sandwiched between Igbos of Ukwuani and the Urhobos therefore a good number of Igbos must have moved into the territory and added to the mix to create a further divergence from Urhobo. Some Isoko South communities Igbide to be specific claim Igbo origin but are today Isokos. This is how one can be able to understand the name similarities that exist between Igbo and Isoko. Some Isoko communities are found in the Ndokwa East/Isoko South fringes and the story of a mixture of people is the same. It is with this understanding that one can use to question and look at such communities like Osekwenike and Abuetor(Igbo sounding names) as Igbo communities. I'll appreciate if any Isoko can give us the meaning of those names in the Isoko language.
It is my desire that we discuss these things with the mindset of understanding one another and accepting the truth for what it is.
Another thing we must not forget is the fact that some other really tiny languages might have been swallowed by either Igbo or the edoids around that area because from my studies, I've come to see a continuum that shows clearly how connected most people around that lower Niger is. It might be very difficult to put them into exactly one language family e.g Igboid or edoid or Ijoid. Take for instance, the Igboid Ekpeyes call their king 'Eze Logbo' and here we see an Isoko claim that those communities have their king traditional title as Odiologbo. One can see the clear similarity and can help us to understand the distinction between them and other Isoko communities. I can say for sure that the lower Niger area around Yenagoa, Sagbama, Brass, Ogbia, Ahoada, Abual/Odual and Degema is a melting point of the Igboid/Ijoid/Edoid and the central deta groups. The ijaws clearly masters of the swamps therefore those closer to the swamps are sucked in to their fold. The next like the Abual/Odual, the Ogbia, Kugbo, Abureni, Obulom etc together classified as the Central Delta languages are rarely known in southern Nigeria so they were claimed by the Ijaws. The Ogbias are counted as the biggest of them all.
I'll edit and finish up later. I'll also add a picture of language classification around that area later.
Contd
Next on the list is the smaller Edoid who remained mostly around the Yenagoa area. One other group travelled farther east and settled. They are the Degema people.
The Igboids(Ekpeyes and Ogbas) are next up in the central delta but deep down in the Eastern delta, the Igbo went down and is muddled up with a lot of other ethnicities that are today classified as the Kalabaris. Here the Ibibiods, Igboids and Ijoids melted into a fusion of one people with Igbo language being very common. Going into the swamps and Islands of Okrika will see the Ijoids dominating but going into Bonny will find Igbo dominating the major town with Ibani occupying the interior villages.
Below is a picture of the language classification of the areas of discussion.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

But your people speak Bini as well. If I can remember when we were still discussing you peoples nationality years ago, your people proudly proclaimed Bini.

Nooo, Isoko is different from Bini but they were parts of the Bini Empire and thus have Edoid heritage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
SlayerForever:

If it is about the claim in the second paragraph he is 100% correct. It seems you're not familiar with that issue. Check Ibrede, Igbuku, Onogboko, Osafo, Ige etc etc.
I don't think you understand the Man.
He is neither here nor there. He never said that Aboh is Igboland.
He is still maintaining neutrality, that is Igbo/Bini/Isoko.
In other words, Aboh could be considered as a "No man's land" from his submission. But that doesn't mean Ndigbo will dive in when the Indigenes never proclaimed that they are on any of the three party, Infact they are openly against pro-Igbo movement.
Go back to the thread from the Aboh dude when he was claiming Igbo. His intention was made clear that is
"OK I am now igbo. I have considered to be Igbo after much persuasion and grovelling from Ndigbo, but Aboh must be reinstated as the commercial hub of Igboland over Onitsha then Aboh again shall be considered as the Cradle of Igbo Civilisation with Aboh Obi considered as the king of Ndigbo"
This is exactly what his thread was saying. Go back and read it again. Read in between the lines.
The Dude is never Igbo and won't in the near future. Don't let Aboh of all people play the Ikwerre game on Ndigbo over again.

6 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Biafman: 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

Actually he’s a distant relative. My moms name is Chioma but she is not Igbo. Her mom is from Ndokwa East I think. I will ask her again.
YOU ARE SO DAFT. YOUR MOM'S NAME IS CHIOMA, BUT SHE IS NOT IGBO. NOT ONLY THAT SHE ANSWERS CHIOMA, BUT SHE ALSO COMES FROM NDOKWA, YET SHE IS NOT IGBO. WHAT A DUMBO. SOME OF YOU DESERVE TO BE KNOCKED ON THE HEAD.

6 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ariani: 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2021
Efewestern:

Okoro is an ancient Edoid word for man. It is used by almost all groups influenced by Edo. Ilaje, Isoko / Urhobo, Itsekiri etc make use of okoro.

examples

Okoro - Man/boy
Okoro-tie/Okotie - Short man
Okoro-Odudu/Okorodudu - Black man

I can't give a translation to Okorafo, maybe it's wrongly spelt.

Silly post.
Okoro is an Igbo imprint on Edos.
You don't think that after living door to door with Igboid groups for centuries Edoid people will have no Igbo imprints on them?

10 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2021
Fejoku:
With those communities OP listed, I'll ensure to carry out real investigations on them by visiting some of them to put this matter to rest.
Now unto the Igbo(Ndokwa)/Isoko relationship, one can't understand them without understanding that history.
In the old days early 19th century, Aboh was the most powerful kingdom on the Niger up untill Idah in the Igala country. She heavily participated in slavery getting slaves from all around her area of influence and still buying from Idah. She will then sell those slaves to Brass who will either take the victims to Bonny or sell them straight to Brazilian slavers who inside the Brass rivers to evade British anti-slavery ships at that time because slave trade was abolished in 1807.
In those days ethnicity was very fluidy especially in the boundary areas. People moved around and settled wherever they get much food and less problems irrespective of the different language they encounter there. They just learn the language in some cases or muddle up the language with that of others to develop a slightly different language from both languages. If one language features more in the mixed language, it continues to share the same language classification with the predominant language around it. I can say confidently that I now understand Isokos claim of being distinct from Urhobo. Isokos might have originally been Urhobos but after the great exodus from Benin city, a lot of other edoids who fled passed through their territory and added to the mix. Such edoids are the Egenni, Epie-Atissa etc. One will notice that the Isokos have both LGAs sandwiched between Igbos of Ukwuani and the Urhobos therefore a good number of Igbos must have moved into the territory and added to the mix to create a further divergence from Urhobo. Some Isoko South communities Igbide to be specific claim Igbo origin but are today Isokos. This is how one can be able to understand the name similarities that exist between Igbo and Isoko. Some Isoko communities are found in the Ndokwa East/Isoko South fringes and the story of a mixture of people is the same. It is with this understanding that one can use to question and look at such communities like Osekwenike and Abuetor(Igbo sounding names) as Igbo communities. I'll appreciate if any Isoko can give us the meaning of those names in the Isoko language.
It is my desire that we discuss these things with the mindset of understanding one another and accepting the truth for what it is.
Another thing we must not forget is the fact that some other really tiny languages might have been swallowed by either Igbo or the edoids around that area because from my studies, I've come to see a continuum that shows clearly how connected most people around that lower Niger is. It might be very difficult to put them into exactly one language family e.g Igboid or edoid or Ijoid. Take for instance, the Igboid Ekpeyes call their king 'Eze Logbo' and here we see an Isoko claim that those communities have their king traditional title as Odiologbo. One can see the clear similarity and can help us to understand the distinction between them and other Isoko communities. I can say for sure that the lower Niger area around Yenagoa, Sagbama, Brass, Ogbia, Ahoada, Abual/Odual and Degema is a melting point of the Igboid/Ijoid/Edoid and the central deta groups. The ijaws clearly masters of the swamps therefore those closer to the swamps are sucked in to their fold. The next like the Abual/Odual, the Ogbia, Kugbo, Abureni, Obulom etc together classified as the Central Delta languages are rarely known in southern Nigeria so they were claimed by the Ijaws. The Ogbias are counted as the biggest of them all.
I'll edit and finish up later. I'll also add a picture of language classification around that area later.

Good bless you sir, you have a good understanding of the History and ethnography of Southern Nigeria.

Once again, thanks for this OBJECTIVE piece.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2021
Efewestern:

Okoro is an ancient Edoid word for man. It is used by almost all groups influenced by Edo. Ilaje, Isoko / Urhobo, Itsekiri etc make use of okoro.

examples

Okoro - Man/boy
Okoro-tie/Okotie - Short man
Okoro-Odudu/Okorodudu - Black man

I can't give a translation to Okorafo, maybe it's wrongly spelt.

Okunrin (Yoruba)= Okoro (Bini)= Okoro (Igbo)= MAN.

Okorodudu (Urhobo)= Okunrin dudu (Yoruba)= Okoroji (Igbo)

Okuta( Yoruba) = Okute (Itsekiri)= Okwute= Igbo

Yoruba-Bini-Itsekiri-Urobo/Isoko-Ika-Ikwerre- Ekpeye-Igbo represent a language continum.

In the distant past, we spoke the same language.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 3:42pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

You know you are lying but you think it's cool because you don't know the implications.
I will allow you to finish before I let you know

He is saying the truth. However you need to understand that truth may have more than one sides and not necessarily limited to the side you know.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Homeboiy: 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2021
It’s just like we Nsukka people

Maybe if we were not carved into South east

People will still say we are not igbos
Most Nsukka names I don’t even know the meanings
Names like
Itodo
Oche
Agbo
Apeh
Ameh
Idoko
Attah
Apochi

These are both igala and idoma names

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by SlayerForever: 3:50pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

In other words, Aboh could be considered as a "No man's land" from his submission. But that doesn't mean Ndigbo will dive in when the Indigenes never proclaimed that they are on any of the three party, Infact they are openly against pro-Igbo movement.
Go back to the thread from the Aboh dude when he was claiming Igbo. His intention was made clear that is
"OK I am now igbo. I have considered to be Igbo after much persuasion and grovelling from Ndigbo, but Aboh must be reinstated as the commercial hub of Igboland over Onitsha then Aboh again shall be considered as the Cradle of Igbo Civilisation with Aboh Obi considered as the kind of Ndigbo"
This is exactly what his thread was saying. Go back and read it again. Read in between the lines.
The Dude is never Igbo and won't in the near future. Don't let Aboh of all people play the Ikwerre game on Ndigbo over again.

Hmm.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by CovenHighPriest: 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

"OK I am now igbo. I have considered to be Igbo after much persuasion and grovelling from Ndigbo, but Aboh must be reinstated as the commercial hub of Igboland over Onitsha then Aboh again shall be considered as the Cradle of Igbo Civilisation with Aboh Obi considered as the kind of Ndigbo"

I like you already grin

6 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Collyweed: 3:56pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

Yoruba-Bini-Itsekiri-Urobo/Isoko-Ika-Ikwerre- Ekpeye-Igbo represent a language continum.

Correct. Interestingly groups like Igala (which is technically Yoruba), Nupe, Idoma and probably others belong to the same group. That is like well over 60% of the country.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 4:08pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

"OK I am now igbo. I have considered to be Igbo after much persuasion and grovelling from Ndigbo, but Aboh must be reinstated as the commercial hub of Igboland over Onitsha then Aboh again shall be considered as the Cradle of Igbo Civilisation with Aboh Obi considered as the king of Ndigbo"

The bolded is not what I said on my thread alone I only said Aboh should be giving a port as well as Onitsha and investment brought into it's fishing economy nowhwere did I mention grovelling or persuasion and nowhere did I say I wanted Obi of Aboh to be considered King of Igbo I said based off of British writings that's what he was considered and I am Igbo not sure what your grudge is
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by oyatz(m): 4:15pm On Sep 08, 2021
Collyweed:

Correct. Interestingly groups like Igala (which is technically Yoruba), Nupe, Idoma and probably others belong to the same group. That is like well over 60% of the country.

Actually, the present classification of the peoples in this country into ethnic groups were introduced in

* The 19th century by the British in preparation for (full scale colonialism) administration, policing and of course taxation.

* 1950s : ethnic groups classifications solidified in preparation for Independence

* 1960-1966: Ethnic groups as basis for political participations

*1979 Constitution: Ethnic groups fully and permanently created as vehicles for sharing the national cake.

It should be noted that before 1850, indigenous people living in what we now call Nigeria had no basis to identified themselves as ethnic groups, what was important was to belong to strong Kingdoms/Empire like Bini Empire, Ijebu Kingdom, Sokoto Caliphate, Oyo Empire, Kanem-Borno Empire (irrespective of 'ethnic backgrounds') which can guarantee economic improvement and protection from competing neighbouring communities.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Tochi3(m): 4:23pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ndigbo beware.

There are lots of no good headslamming zombies from the terrorist routes of bushman dan fodio and there counterparts down south claiming wha they are not and never will be running amok here to cause confusion and disharmony among Ndigbo .

By their fruits you shall know them.

Pls Umu Chineke take caution.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by DREagon(m): 4:48pm On Sep 08, 2021
Homeboiy:
It’s just like we Nsukka people

Maybe if we were not carved into South east

People will still say we are not igbos
Most Nsukka names I don’t even know the meanings
Names like
Itodo
Oche
Agbo
Apeh
Ameh
Idoko
Attah
Apochi

These are both igala and idoma names

True Talk

If your people had crude oil during the civil war, you would have been in benue state by now, suffering from identity crisis.

6 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Homeboiy: 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2021
DREagon:

True Talk

If your people had crude oil during the civil war, you would have been in benue state by now, suffering from identity crisis.

That is it

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

OK. We have Bini people bearing Chioma in Delta State these days so it's no cause for alarm.
grin

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Fejoku: 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

Very much true. It's a language continuum.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Zooposki(f): 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
grin

Why the 32?
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Fejoku: 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2021
Abohboy:

The bolded is not what I said on my thread alone I only said Aboh should be giving a port as well as Onitsha and investment brought into it's fishing economy nowhwere did I mention grovelling or persuasion and nowhere did I say I wanted Obi of Aboh to be considered King of Igbo I said based off of British writings that's what he was considered and I am Igbo not sure what your grudge is
Initially, the British thought Obi Ossai was the king supreme of the great Igbos but they later found out he wasn't and himself confirmed that the larger portion of the Igbo country lies on the other side of the Niger. He was a king of great influence on the Niger nonetheless.
Aboh has always been Igbo which the king himself said with his own mouth. Anyone saying otherwise today is making out his ancestor to be a liar.

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 08, 2021
Zooposki:

Why the 32?
Keep asking me a fool!sh question

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by JANK23H(m): 5:27pm On Sep 08, 2021
Biafman:

YOU ARE SO DAFT. YOUR MOM'S NAME IS CHIOMA, BUT SHE IS NOT IGBO. NOT ONLY THAT SHE ANSWERS CHIOMA, BUT SHE ALSO COMES FROM NDOKWA, YET SHE IS NOT IGBO. WHAT A DUMBO. SOME OF YOU DESERVE TO BE KNOCKED ON THE HEAD.
A name doesn't totally tell ones origin.One can choose to bear a name outside one's tribe or ethnicity. Modern Africans bear European and Middle Eastern names doesn't mean they come from that part of the world.

I have uncles and aunts with Ghanaian and Yoruba name because they were born there.Interestingly,Ijaws do that a lot. A trip down to Ijaw villages in Ondo will confuse you based on your argument ; because a lot of them bear Yoruba names but are full fledged Ijaws.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by JANK23H(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2021
Fejoku:

No necessarily, languages are influenced by one another as ethnic groups interact.The old Anglo-Saxon language had a huge Germanic influence and also Latin,French, Portuguese and even Spanish.Given birth to modern day English Language.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 5:37pm On Sep 08, 2021
oyatz:

What if I tell you that ;

Anye= Onye
Omu= Umu ?

AYE/Iye/Ayi is still igbo for woman but an old term. Hence Nwa-ayi = woman, Nwa-iye = Wife, Ndi-Iye = Elder women.

Omu/Umu same word. Omu is even on the arochukwu flag

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by JANK23H(m): 5:38pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

AYE/Iye/Ayi is still igbo for woman but an old term. Hence Nwa-ayi = woman, Nwa-iye = Wife, Ndi-Iye = Elder women.

Omu/Umu same word. Omu is even on the arochukwu flag
Una must find way connect am sha� grin
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Ofodirinwa: 5:39pm On Sep 08, 2021
Fejoku:

I'm proud that the igbos in this thread are discussing linguistics and history while the others are just being ethnic and small minded.

Unless of course you're not igbo then ndo
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by JANK23H(m): 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

I'm proud that the igbos in this thread are discussing linguistics and history while the others are just being ethnic and small minded.

Unless of course you're not igbo then ndo
History discussed are all subtle attempt to connect everyone in sight to Igbo,there isn't any sincerity in these discussions.

We cannot all be Igbos!

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by ZZ22: 6:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Only the true sons of Idu (those that maintain their igbo root) and contact with Ndigbo use Okoro to describe men and it is not Okoro standing on its own but reflecting the circumstances of it.
Okorafo = Okoro Afọ (a man born on Afọ market day)
I believe you've now been clarified.
As for before, I was allowing you all air your ignorance to the fullest before clarifying.
Same way we have the name Okoronkwo/Okonwo a man born on Nkwo market day, Okorie/Okoye a man born on Orie/Oye market day and Okeke from Eke market day.

Efewestern hope you have been schooled for free here so throw that your Bini imprint mentality to dustbin and next time you see these names never you think, add or suffix anything Bini to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2015 Presidential Election - Final Prediction / World Bank’s Earmark $50 Million For Water Projects In Delta, Ekiti, Five Others / Olusegun Obasanjo vs Goodluck Jonathan

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.