Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings (39423 Views)

Youtube Earnings Discouraging. Please Help / Adsense: 17 Ways To Increase Your Earnings / My Adsense Earnings Proof (plus Tips For Earning Big Through Adsense) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by quolahpoh: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2021
seankay:
Small add wey I run for google for 17 days, dem charge me over $600.

How can I make money on YouTube please?
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Kabaka100: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2021
spirul77:
Me I have few questions, does YouTube pays when you post videos that are not originally made by you? I mean, does YouTube pay those channels posting football match highlights? Those people that post football matches highlights, how do they make those highlights videos, what tools do they use and how do they possibly do this few minutes after the match? If an adsense is linked to a YouTube channel will you be paid differently ? And finally can one Adsense be linked to YouTube and a site at the same time.?

Dem say who dey ask question no dey miss road.

As long as u own a channel, if there's enough viewership of the video content/s(whether it's an original video by u of repost of other people's videos) to warrant payment, Google will pay u as long as ur content hits the numbers
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2021
ufotty2001:
Your own is even better .. me Amazon deduct 30% of tax every month from my earning..
This is the first time I'm hearing this. I have been earning from amazon over the last three years and they have never deducted any tax from my earnings. Are your earnings from Amazon KDP?
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by ndividual: 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:
Hello fellow youtubers!

For the past three months now Google has been deducting US tax from my YouTube earnings. That's after I filled the tax form. I don't know if I didn’t feel the form properly. They deduct as much as 24% of my earnings and it's really sickening.

They don't deduct any Tax from my Adsense earnings, but they do on YouTube earnings.

I just want to be sure that I'm not alone on this. Has Google been deducting US tax from your YouTube earnings?

Sorry man. You're not alone at all. But there's nothing you can do about. Its withholding tax.. For other who are interested, I'll explain why

Obama in 2013 signed a tax bill that taxed the proceeds to TAX foreign merchants for sales made by US Customers.

That's the key takeaway. The only way to remove it is if there is a tax treaty between your country (I'm assuming Nigeria) and the US

Nigeria doesn't have a tax treaty with US, so withholding tax applies. Compared to Canada that does have a tax treaty, so there's 0% Withholding tax.

Sad reality that your country of birth is still fighting against you even when you earn foreign exchange.

In my own case, I used to sell Mobile app templates on Themeforest for $25 a sale. Themeforest took half it it, but US Withholding tax took half from my half, so net earning was $6.25

Sorry man. Just double your efforts. You're not alone. Some countries don't even allow US citizens to open banks accounts with them because of it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2021
Calitoscassius:
There is nothing wrong with the amount you are taxed, I have been paying taxes since i was 18 years old. You people obviously do not pay taxes in nigeria. That is why you may be surprised.

When you people were applauding Joe Biden during campaigns and elections, did you not know he will tax people?

If I was paying tax to Nigeria, I'll feel better. But I'm paying tax to US who don't know how I manage to create contents that their residents find useful.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by samintegrity(m): 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2021
He's not supposed to fill the form unless he resides in the US or claims to be.

My question is, are you using a IS AdSense account??

Many created one due to serious issues of approval being faced.

So if you are using a US AdSense account then yes there's nothing you can do about it but if your AdSense account is a Nigerian one, I meant while signing up for adsense account you didn't claim to be in the US but Nigeria then you need contact them asap so as to get it resolved.

Shalom..

Meanwhile I am inviting you all to the forthcoming YOUTH convention of the RCCG..

It's going to be a bliss..

See more details in flyer..

1 Like

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Stephenmoka4(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2021
IamPlato:
Bro abeg tell Me How You Grow Your Youtube Subscribers biko... Me Too Need Start Making Money so I Can Be Discussing money Situation.

I Need To Grow My Youtube, i Have Content But very low Subscribers
Something that catches people's interest. Crypto, money, free offers etc
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by genkins(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2021
Guys watch and subscribe, leave a like for my channel. God bless
Africa has had its fair share of crazy dictators. From the likes of Idi AMIN to the likes of Omar. Bongo.. But there are some of them we haven't heard about or we cannot say how crazy they were.
1.Paul Biya
2.Yahay Jammeh
3.jose Eduardo Dos Santos
5.Thoedoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
6.King Mswati of Swaziland

And many more.

This documentary paints a comical picture about thier crazyness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmcOse-8YI
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Asour: 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2021
spirul77:
Me I have few questions, does YouTube pays when you post videos that are not originally made by you? I mean, does YouTube pay those channels posting football match highlights? Those people that post football matches highlights, how do they make those highlights videos, what tools do they use and how do they possibly do this few minutes after the match? If an adsense is linked to a YouTube channel will you be paid differently ? And finally can one Adsense be linked to YouTube and a site at the same time.?

Dem say who dey ask question no dey miss road.

Yes they generally do make money. (I.e. those that are monetized channels & the specific video is not demonitized for any reason including copyright).

Those channels adopt various means to bypass copyright flag down. Including editing the video inversely (i.e. left to right) as well as editing within video game plays.

Editing generally use Adobe premiere. Etc.
But they have decoders that record the parts of the game they want to have on their highlights right from the advanced decoders.

However, those highlights that show up 2/3 minutes after a game are usually poorly edited. Often incomplete & incoherent. The top notch editors take hours as the results eventually show.

1 Like

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by samsard(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2021
Truth234:
The deduction is likely from your U.S earnings... People that watch your channel in USA.
The only helpful response so far. That should be the reason. I learnt of this a few months back.

1 Like

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by angelfallz(m): 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2021
I'm a novice in such matters. But IMO if the op must pay tax, he should pay tax to the Nigerian government and not the US govt. Why?
This is because he is a Nigerian living in Nigeria(I assume he is living in Nigeria, he didn't say where he lives in his post) working in Nigeria and tax is paid by citizens of a country to the government in order to fund government spending and various public expenditures.

Now what YouTube is doing is to make non Americans(the op) who aren't even living in America to fund the US government, and other USA public expenditures that the op would not even enjoy, that is wrong.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2021
ndividual:

Sorry man. You're not alone at all. But there's nothing you can do about. Its withholding tax.. For other who are interested, I'll explain why

Obama in 2013 signed a tax bill that taxed the proceeds to TAX foreign merchants for sales made by US Customers.

That's the key takeaway. The only way to remove it is if there is a tax treaty between your country (I'm assuming Nigeria) and the US

Nigeria doesn't have a tax treaty with US, so withholding tax applies. Compared to Canada that does have a tax treaty, so there's 0% Withholding tax.

Sad reality that your country of birth is still fighting against you even when you earn foreign exchange.

In my own case, I used to sell Mobile app templates on Themeforest for $25 a sale. Themeforest took half it it, but US Withholding tax took half from my half, so net earning was $6.25

Sorry man. Just double your efforts. You're not alone. Some countries don't even allow US citizens to open banks accounts with them because of it.

Thank God for nairaland.com, I know I will always find a reasonable answer. Thanks bro for this. I just wanted to be sure this deductions are not as a result of not filling the form properly.

I just hope they don't bring this rubbish to my Adsense and Amazon earnings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Calitoscassius(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:

If I was paying tax to Nigeria, I'll feel better. But I'm paying tax to US who don't know how I manage to create contents that their residents find useful.
Well... that is the US for you. grin grin as long as you earned in $$$ and youtube is tax registered in the US you must pay tax to the US government grin grin wellcome to the real world and a "sane" country as some of you call it. Youtube/google also pays taxes to the US coffers. (IRS)

If you don't like it go do business else were.

1 Like

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by AmuEbule: 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:
Hello fellow youtubers!

For the past three months now Google has been deducting US tax from my YouTube earnings. That's after I filled the tax form. I don't know if I didn’t feel the form properly. They deduct as much as 24% of my earnings and it's really sickening.

They don't deduct any Tax from my Adsense earnings, but they do on YouTube earnings.

I just want to be sure that I'm not alone on this. Has Google been deducting US tax from your YouTube earnings?

What do you want Google to do? Stay there, dance away your life via owambe and don't invent anything.

Apple, Amazon, Mastercard, PayPal, Google, You tube, Instagram, and others are American companies and they pay taxes too.

1 Like

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2021
angelfallz:
I'm a novice in such matters. But IMO if the op must pay tax, he should pay tax to the Nigerian government and not the US govt. Why?
This is because he is a Nigerian living in Nigeria(I assume he is living in Nigeria, he didn't say where he lives in his post) working in Nigeria and tax is paid by citizens of a country to the government in order to fund government spending and various public expenditures.

Now what YouTube is doing is to make non Americans(the op) who aren't even living in America to fund the US government, and other USA public expenditures that the op would not even enjoy, that is wrong.

I'm surprise as well, I reside in Nigeria but tax goes to US.

2 Likes

Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by AmazingELixir: 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2021
W
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Arisenews2: 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2021
ifymadu:
You no want pay tax before?

He earned about $87.5 because if he was charged $21 as tax at rate of 24% then his earning will be

0.24x = $21

For those interested to know how much he earned. Lol

You're wrong. It's more than that actually. The 24% is on just earnings from US viewers.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by free2ryhme: 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2021
angelfallz:
Hmmm. Are you sure of what you're saying?

Did he submit any tax information
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by viktor88: 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:
Hello fellow youtubers!

The text form you filled is the problem.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by NaMe4: 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2021
free2ryhme:

You make money from a company registered on US soil it is only fair you pay your tax in that country.

grin

This was to be expected following the overzealousness of our clueless government on insisting companies like Twitter paid taxes to Nigerian government.

Even freelancers will get affected by such policies.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Arisenews2: 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2021
Truth234:
The deduction is likely from your U.S earnings... People that watch your channel in USA.

Right
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Calitoscassius(m): 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:

I'm surprise as well, I reside in Nigeria but tax goes to US.
Well... you shouldn't be surprised, grin grin it is what it is. You must pay taxes to the US. So that we can use the money (benefit) to eat more burgers and dougnuts and drink coca cola.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by tempest01(m): 4:56pm On Sep 21, 2021
Trimjos:
You don't want to show us ur earnings, but u want us to know that US is deducting tax from it.

Get the fvck outta here

He said they withdraw 24%. And the tax deducted is there. Can't you do maths? If you really want to know his earning
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Sanchez01: 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2021
samsard:
The only helpful response so far. That should be the reason. I learnt of this a few months back.
No, he is wrong. One of my sites make about $700 monthly on AdSense for Publishers, with US being the primary traffic tier. Going by that logic, I should be taxed in the same manner but no such thing. That claim is not in any way correct.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2021
Sanchez01:

That's because you never filled in your tax information within the given time. YouTubers across the world, were given until May 31, 2021 to provide their tax info with the condition that Google may be required to deduct up to 24% of your total earnings worldwide if it isn't provided.

If yiu neither filled the tax form and your AdSense for YouTube is registered as a US adsense, then you set yourself up for it.

I filled the form right on time. Moreover, my Adsense account is Nigeria account
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Arisenews2: 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2021
ifymadu:

He earned about $87.5 because if he was charged $21 as tax at rate of 24% then his earning will be

0.24x = $21

QED

Wrong
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Calitoscassius(m): 4:58pm On Sep 21, 2021
NaMe4:

This was to be expected following the overzealousness of our clueless government on insisting companies like Twitter paid taxes to Nigerian government.

Even freelancers will get affected by such policies.

Not quite, twitter should pay taxes to nigerian government, do you rather twitter didn't pay taxes to nigeria? Twitter pays taxes to the US, they should pay taxes to nigeria also.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Calitoscassius(m): 4:59pm On Sep 21, 2021
Arisenews2:

Wrong
Okay, tell us how it is wrong? Einstein!! undecided
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Arisenews2: 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2021
Betboss:

Actually, they sent a newsletter sometime in May that they will start deducting tax from earnings made from views coming from US.

I only wanted to know if this also applies to other youtubers in Nigeria.

Yeah, yours is even small. The deduct hundred of thousands (naira equivalent) from me monthly.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by Betboss(m): 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2021
TEDHorsePower:

Please what's the difference between YouTube earning and adsense earning?
Adsense is earnings from your website, Admob is earnings from apps on playstore and YouTube earnings are earnings from YouTube.

Earnings from your YouTube and admob are linked to your Adsense account.
Re: Google Deducts US Tax Monthly From My Youtube Earnings by saxby(f): 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2021
No be small thing, atleast better you wey get earnings, many are looking for such opportunities here. Btw, do you know you can pay up your bills from the comfort of your phone with the new IE mobile app?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Withdraw Money From Your Paypal / Doris Kamuche 'Adalgbo' Buried Amidst Tears (Photos) / How To Get Your Blog Comments Approved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.