Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,090 members, 7,953,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:11 PM

Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan (9297 Views)

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri / Support Me Or I Come After You Says Jonathan...martin Elechi's Son Arrested / IBB Is Confused, Says Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by krixik(m): 8:27am On May 27, 2011
Speaking at the “2011 Presidential Inauguration Lecture” with the theme, “A Transformation Agenda for Accelerating National Development,” Jonathan in his remarks noted that a four-year tenure was too short for a President and governors to make significant impact just as he contended that for Nigeria to transform rapidly within the next four years, there was the need for a well developed national planning. Besides, he stated that there was need to stabilize the polity and reduce the frequent reshuffling of the cabinet.

Reacting to the guest lecturer, Prof. Ladipo Adamolekun’s posers on leadership, Jonathan remarked: “I will not talk about the tenure of the Government, the constitution has said four years, though some believe that four years is too short to make any change, which I also believe. I believe because if you are a new person and you are elected as a governor today, it will take one to one and half years for you to really stabilize. And you also know that some members of your cabinet are not good and that is why in most cases, after one year or two Mr. president reshuffles the cabinet and by the time you want to go for another two and half years, it is another election and you are all busy about winning election. That is a constitutional problem.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49402:four-year-term-short-says-jonathan-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Why can't African leaders stick to their words? Before elections president Jonathan told the world that he is going for a four year single term but now that he has won the election he is singing a new song. He has realised suddenly that four years wouldn't be enough for him. I am not against his second term bid but the fact that he has told the whole world and probably some people voted for him cos of that he should stick to his words. It's not a hard and difficult task, somebody had done it before in Africa in the person of dr nelson Mandela and today he is an icon and a hero not only to south africa but the whole world. He is celebrated across the globe as a symbol of truthfulness, uprightness and humility. So president Jona you better choose the path of truthfulness and be celebrated rather than choose the path of lies and be humiliated.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by joecrack(m): 10:13am On May 27, 2011
Stop peddling rumours,he said many peole have said 4years is not enough to transform a country like nigeria,and he also believed it.
Besides,do u have a problem if he decides to run.stop him if u can.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Kanana(m): 12:50pm On May 27, 2011
Bros Jona is too early to start campaigning 4 another term when u ve not started the first. Btw we are still waiting to c how u will swivel the country with the wolves sorrounding you.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by joecrack(m): 1:01pm On May 27, 2011
Bad belle commot for road
Kanana:

Bros Jona is too early to start campaigning 4 another term when u ve not started the first. Btw we are still waiting to c how u will swivel the country with the wolves sorrounding you.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by texazzpete(m): 1:21pm On May 27, 2011
joecrack:

Bad belle commot for road

In any normal country in the world, the candidates make a huge deal out of their ability to hit the ground running when they are made President/Prime minister or Governors. In the last US elections, it was a big part of Hilary Clinton's and McCain's rhetoric that they were more ready to hit the ground running than Obama. Obama took great pains to dispute the notion that he was a 'greenhorn'.

Here your so-called 'fresh air' is telling you that it would take a whopping 1 to 1.5 years to 'stabilize' and you're eating up this crap without shame? Even people like Beaf must admit that this is utterly shameless. Are campaigns not run on the premise that the candidates have the competence to fill that position?
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by md4real(m): 1:37pm On May 27, 2011
With these statements, it simply means that its a return to status quo.
He is either solicting for another term already or of course, displaying of of his numerous cueless rants
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by kbdrim(m): 1:37pm On May 27, 2011
[Stop peddling rumours,he said many peole have said 4years is not enough to transform a country like nigeria,and he also believed it. Besides,do u have a problem if he decides to run.stop him if u can.]

Na so e dey start, afterall uptil today obj say he was not interested in 3rd term, remember jerry gana and mantu started it at the confab like a joke
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by darqly(m): 1:42pm On May 27, 2011
@joecrack- why are you quick to slurp all the crap GEJ and co spew without even giving it some thought? A year and a half to stabilize? Even foreign players don't take a year and a half to stabilize (whatever that means). Ill advised remark in my opinion and a pointer to what the president hopes to achieve or in this case, Under-achieve.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 27, 2011
All this GEJ haters, he said he will stay 'ONE TERM', he just wants to extend the term not his stay,

FREE SHARE 2011
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by omo9ja1(m): 1:44pm On May 27, 2011
Well in all honestly the problem compound to the Nation called Nigeria is not something someone can boast of 4 year fix, however I want Mr GEJ to initiate a project that lead to the promise land, Moscow was not built in a day, little thing at a time, If its power you want to supply let us see action rather than all this talk-talk 4years is round the corner 0o0o0
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by metrixauto: 1:45pm On May 27, 2011
this guy should hit the ground running instead of this campaingn,honestly after 4 yrs this guy dont perform,nigeria will not 4give him
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by LoveKing(m): 1:49pm On May 27, 2011
I believe because if you are a new person and you are elected as a governor today, it will take one to one and half years for you to really stabilize. And you also know that some members of your cabinet are not good and that is why in most cases, after one year or two Mr. president reshuffles the cabinet and by the time you want to go for another two and half years, it is another election and you are all busy about winning election. That is a constitutional problem.

a leader cant talk like this, only a politician
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by LagosBoi2(m): 1:51pm On May 27, 2011
All of them na d same thief "OBJ and his followers", make we try some new ppl come 2015, someone from a different party. We can then hope for a change if not so then we should expect the situation to remain the same as it has always been.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Calculia: 1:53pm On May 27, 2011
HA HA HA! Pres Goodluck already wants a second term!! lol
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by apoti(m): 1:57pm On May 27, 2011
Nigeria is in deep poo for another 4 years, smh
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by chelseabmw(m): 2:00pm On May 27, 2011
:d :d :d
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:01pm On May 27, 2011
GEJ, in as much as i admire you so much,i still believe four is good enough to change the life of the citizenry,
FASHOLA one term as a governor has that any serious government can transform the situation of a nation, i know definitely, you must contest for another tenure, at least,let's benefit from the one we elected you in!!!!
i remember vividly, i read one news here, that says  JAPAN REHABILITATE THEIR ROAD UNDER 7 DAYS!!!! AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE
FOUR YEARS CAN BRING STABLE POWER, GOOD ROADS ALL OVER THE NATION,WELL EQUIPPED HOSPITALS AND SCHOOLS,EFFECTIVE SECURITY,AGRICULTURAL BOOST,PEACE IN NORTH (NO MORE NIGER DELTA)
GEJ, WE BELIEVE IN YOU, PLEASE DON'T Bleep UP
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by jensinmi(m): 2:07pm On May 27, 2011
If really he said this, then GEJ IS A FOOL & A CRETIN!!!

When we were talking last week of reducing the number of Ministries, he did not remember we had a constitutional problem.
Since we have been shouting that the way electricity has to be distributed throughout the National grid makes it so difficult to achieve our quest for 24/7 electricity, he did not remember we had a constitutional problem.

It is now that he is supposed to work that he remembers that we have a constitutional problem.
I suppose the 1 year he spent as president was not enough for him to stabilize. He is handing over to none other than himself, isn't he??

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 27, 2011
His statement does not surprise me. It is simply unfortunate that having ruled us for 12 years and counting the PDP is still talking about Nigeria not having a national plan. What exactly is PDP's plan for Nigeria? Besides Mr. President should not consider himself new in office by 2015 he would have spent about 5 years in office as Nigerian president.

I disagree with the President that 4 years is too short to perform. If we go philosophical the next question should be Is four years too short to under perform?  If NO then four years is not too short to perform.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by reindeer: 2:14pm On May 27, 2011
grin grin grin
You guys castigating GEJ, just wait for the ''GEJ can do no wrong army''

As far as they are concerned, this clueless mammal is a saint and can never do wrong.
I just hope someday they'll open their eyes and see who they are worshipping.
With the look of things, Nigeria can never change nor make progress under this (mu)2
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by 702: 2:19pm On May 27, 2011
ok 4 years ok! i av heard! grin
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by kaisolar: 2:20pm On May 27, 2011
Abeg, Jonathan should stick with the 4 year term. The idea of a 4 year term is that you show the people how quick you are at solving their problems, and hopefully guarantee yourself a 2nd 4 year term, not by campaigning or rigging, but by results.
Fashola is a good example of this. While GEJ believes one and half years is what he needs to "stabilize", and the next 2 and half years is for winning elections, BRF is using that term limit to win the hearts of the people with results!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Natasha2(f): 2:21pm On May 27, 2011
hmm I don't know what to say I was always behind Goodluck but he has been working like a blind animal  undecided anyways I still believe in him  cheesy

Nigeria needs intervention from witches and wizards the devil himself then finally God  undecided
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by jensinmi(m): 2:24pm On May 27, 2011
The newspaper title even attempted to make this man sound like a human. He on the other hand was not so interested in doing that.

Newspaper -
Jonathan in his remarks noted that a four-year tenure was too short for a President and governors to make significant impact . . .

Jonathan -
“I will not talk about the tenure of the Government, the constitution has said four years, though some believe that four years is too short to make[b] any change,[/b] which I also believe. . .

Focus on those words - Too short to make "any change".
He says he also believes it is too short.
How Dare he say something like this? Could he tell his family that his Manliness is "too short" to poke his wife and give here belle?

Now consider this quote from a wise man - "Before you can do something, you have to first believe it can be done."

GEJ has given up before he even started.

I AM TIRED OF THIS NONSENSE!!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by swagalish: 2:25pm On May 27, 2011
In a  country like Nigeria,  a 4 year term is not enough to stabilze the state of the economy. The perfect gentleman should be left alone. He has only told the world that His agenda might not be fully accomplished in 4 years . I will only advice him to bein first.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by boneyone(m): 2:28pm On May 27, 2011
shocked shocked ** 4 years ? stares with bated breath ***
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by blacksta(m): 2:31pm On May 27, 2011
I voted for GEJ and not PDP  -   

It is true what GEJ Is saying  - 4 years is not enough to enjoy FRESH AIR.  since you have been enjoying FRESH AIR poverty for 50 years - why are the Nigerian masses now complaining of a little 4 years.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by LoveKing(m): 2:38pm On May 27, 2011
jensinmi:

Now consider this quote from a wise man - "Before you can do something, you have to first believe it can be done."

cool
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by osifred(m): 2:39pm On May 27, 2011
am not a GEJ fan in any way but the truth must be said, before now GEJ has said left to him will be propose a 7years single tenure system for president and Governor. which i support him in a way,
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by davd: 2:40pm On May 27, 2011
It is a flimsy excuse. If am given one year to rule, i'l surely do something that Nigerians will not forget my positive impact. First step is to stop corruption from top(myself). How? I will be sincere and 'll not steal government money; any other person caught fraudulently diverting government money or property will be prosecuted; thirdly, all proposed projects passed, and duly sign for execution must be executed to specifications;  i'll make it mandatory all workers must receive their monthly salary as from 25th and should not exceed to another new month; and lastly, salary dichotomy in public/civil service must be removed, that is federal workers pay(salary) must be same with states workers. What is difficult here?
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Kx: 2:44pm On May 27, 2011
How long did fashola stay in power b4 recording massive transformation in lagos?

Tell me lagos is too small compared to the entire nation,
but cant the president solve at least power/energy issues in 4yrs for posterity?

With this expression of lack of belief, even 3terms wont be enof for GEJ.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Welder(m): 2:49pm On May 27, 2011
Voting for this man is a major mistake, i hope my fellow country men can actually understand the intentions of his wordss,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shelve 2027 Ambition, Allow Younger People To Run – Bode George Tells Atiku / Imo Police Arrest Suspected Kidnappers, Rescue Victim / Workable Suggestions To GEJ On How To End The Boko Haram Menace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.