Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? (27808 Views)

What Is The Weirdest Food Combo You Have Ever Eaten? (picture) / What's The Weirdest Food Combo You've Heard Or Seen? / Lockdown: Nigerian Man Dies Of Hunger (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Ahmback(m): 1:18pm On Sep 30, 2021
dshokodiza:
.."Back then in Sec Sch.... niggas in the dormitory would use toothpaste to eat bread" Was Ajicombined���..
that's why hunger will never be my cause of death. I've survived a lot
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by tunize(m): 1:19pm On Sep 30, 2021
Lamanii22:
I'll just mix garri, ororo and salt I'll then eat
I did this twice in my Finals back then wen hunger almost killed my enemy just soak and drank the mixture like DJ mix had worst experience but I nor just wan remember am thank for the small upgrade.

1 Like

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by FahBuLous: 1:21pm On Sep 30, 2021
Debauhaus1990:
I didn't eat for a whole day, the following morning I became unstable, shaky, hungry all was happening at once. I just took palm oil mixed it with salt and just drank it. I wasn't satiated yet, I had to eat the kponmo my brother soaked overnight because I would have died if I didn't eat it.
Btw, hunger is the only thing that can humble anybody.
Ahswear grin grin grin grin
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by ChasinGood(m): 1:23pm On Sep 30, 2021
Mhen,hunger don show plenty ppl shege for this Life. But we'll continue to overcome by the blood of the lamb and by the words of our testimony. grin
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Warricity: 1:25pm On Sep 30, 2021
24hr left for last paper/exam, school don empty half way into cooking d last cup of rice gas finish....oboy see tension, hotel don empty I was literally the last man standing. Hard to tear old handouts and notes to continue the fire until d rice was cooked.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Missionaire: 1:26pm On Sep 30, 2021
Sonnobax15:
undecided
I was in ND2 as then...The hunger struck so hard on me to the extent that one fateful night,I arranged a gang (my hostel mates) and went into a nearby bush to search for snails cheesy. The funny part was that snails was being worshipped as a deity by the villagers...Na when their local vigilante jam us,dem begin warn us say na that the same bush armed robbers dey use as their hide outs after robbery sad na then we begin explain wetin carry us go there. Thank God we were with our school I.D cards grin. Las las,they set us free...

My friend and I did same at DELSU Abraka.... Chai.
Hunger Bad oooo.
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by charlexarmani(m): 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2021
one4GOD:
long ago i looked around all i had was yam flour at home, i used it as thickner for soup with just onion, maggi, pepper, salt and oil. then i did amala and ate. But now God don punish poverty for my life oooh nah dieting dey worry me now grin grin grin grin
Oga abeg show ur guy love SAPA just dey blow person
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by WaterWalker5(m): 1:30pm On Sep 30, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
Just as the subject above.

What is the weirdest things hunger makes you do?

Mine is..

When i was living alone as a young man. There was one particular week that i was damn broke. No money on me except #1000. I use the money to made yam porridge.

But can you imagine that i turn the yam porrigde into soup?

I beg my landlady for garri, she accept and i made eba with it. Using the yam porridge soup to step it down. embarassed

May god help us all
@JuliusMommoh yours is better. At least you had 1grand as base income. I've done several weird things out of hunger. Once I prepared rice concotion without oil and maggi. Just onions and salt and a little oil. Another occasion I had to go into a nearby bush to harvest wild cocoyams so that we can eat something but the weirdest I've done till date occurred in 2008.
I was staying with my aunt in Aina area in Iju and I was very broke. All I had was N50.00 and I was hungry. My aunt had nothing much and I didn't wanna impose on her so an idea came to me.
On the street "Afrika Shrine was situated along that Agidingbi area, was two event centers that always host events every weekend.
So I dressed in a faded shirt and denims with a not so good shoe and trekked to that Afrika Shrine street in the morning around 10am and waited somewhere until the event center opposite the Shrine building started their event. It was a wedding reception. I went there and entered like an invitee in my dressed down attire and got a seat with some well dressed individuals and was served.After filling my stomach there. I left the place and walked to the one at the beginning of the street on the left side. This one was another reception with a buffet. I even ran into a member of my church at this one. I took plate and was served. I ended up being well fed and even went for choir rehearsal that evening. That was the last time I went for a "Mo gbo m'oya party."

7 Likes

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by stinjoe(m): 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2021
God will keep blessing Sir Nnamdiosu. You really saved me that day oo.. God's continuous blessings Sir!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by dwisedgreat: 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2021
Hmmm.....this just reminded me of a though time in my family....
Lost my dad...am the first child of 5 kids...thingd bcame so hard that there was a day my mum went out to get garri....
We use cold water to make it as eba....then use water and salt as soup..... embarassed..

But i give thanks to God for survival...
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by bigcee(m): 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2021
Rayd502:
I made vegetable soup with magarine.It happened when I was in uni.
That one na intercontinental dish, Lwkmd grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 30, 2021
ford101:
rubbish that's a normal hostel life food na.its even better than cooked one if u add just little part of the seasoning.
Nor vex
It was not normal to me because i didnt enjoy it.
I never did it again
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by hurryup123(m): 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
helinues:
Back in tertiary, you missed garri with rice, eat rice with bread, soak garri for almost hour to rise..

grin grin
we call that type of garri soak and travel
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by gemiclem(m): 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
stinjoe:
What hunger does to a sane man can make one go haywire if care is not taken. My tales are numerous. I had to lick maggi cube. It was crazy. I have currently turned this my hunger hullabaloo to fasting. Mention me if you want me to include your name to the list of people I am praying for. I have automatically turned to a burden bearer. Someone should please help me ooo before hunger finish someone here.
One very thing I can assure you is that, it's just a phase. You are surely going to look back one-day, and smile. Never give up dear. God is surely with you.

If 2k every weekend is not too small for you, contact me on my WhatsApp number. its on my signature

4 Likes

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by gemiclem(m): 1:38pm On Sep 30, 2021
Polynek:
My own no b past tense oo as am typing Dix now I haven't eat anything since morning my hope 4 night is d small garri wey dey my bucket, and as Nigeria de so any person wey beg on SM, many go take u as a scammer angry

If 2k every weekend is not too small for you send a dm to my WhatsApp number on my signature

1 Like

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by HRSweetness(f): 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2021
Offpoint1:
Ate eba with palm oil and salt...
Ate fufu with leftover indomie water
Ate raw rice with my neigbour's stew aroma
Trek from Oda Town in Akure to Futa to borrow N500.
Trek from Badadgry to Ajah for 30k job's interview...
If suffering was person, then it's Offpoint.

Life's brutal and those from less privilege homes take the worse share of it.

You don't know what the fxxck life is until you left your parents at teenage age, we ain't there yet but we will fight poverty with the last drop of our blood.
For those who got parental/relatives support and are still eating from their parents... You don't know y'all are lucky bastxxds

I'm so sorry for all you've been through cry
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by ringi82(m): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2021
Back then in year 1 at the University, na dat year I suffer pass. I managed 3 cups of beans for a week. I ate nothing but beans. Poured enough water in it to make it watery so I can manage it more. Got garri from a neighbour and added it to the watery beans for more power grin. That is how I survived the week.

I was very religious that week. I prayed to God for succour, and finally God answered my prayer by the end of the week. Since then, food became my no.1 priority before buying handout or textbooks. Na who chop belleful dey read.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by SonofGod231: 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2021
I realized how hard life was while in Malaysia.
I had to beg my sister back in Nigeria to send me a few bucks. I bought a big loaf of bread and ate it, morning, afternoon and night,in such a way that I would be praying it doesn't finish because I would have to resort to eating groundnut and crackers day and night.
Luckily,I got an offer I was waiting for from Nigeria to come back home and work for the federal government based on my training.
The money they sent me could only take me as far as Lagos because I've already used from there to buy one or two for my peeps back home the week before without really calculating myself,I was looking at what I should at least get for everyone at home.
By the time I landed at MMI Airport I had just 200 hundred naira on me and I needed to be in port harcourt,which was my final destination.
The shame of calling my Parents to tell them after staying abroad for years, I could not complete my Tfare from Lagos down to phc was embarrassing. The guy man I was chitchatting with all along from Kuala Lumpur airport told me,he also doesn't have one Kobo on him that he was waiting for them to just come and pick him after I opened up to him that I going to Ph.
So I decided to walk into of those offices at the outskirts of the airport,it was for one of those domestic airlines where forgetten and unrecovered luggages were kept just around the airport.
First,I went and sat there.After much contemplating. I went to met the receptionist there and told her my story,everyone told me they don't have money to give me ooo. They offered me a phone. I used it to call my godfather in ph but after telling me "so you don't even have any money on you there?"And how much was the flight from Lagos to Ph?He told me he would get back to me and didn't bother to call me back or pick again. I waited til night and decided to call my dad but after telling him I was in Lag. I could not summon the words to tell him I was stranded and needed help. So when he asked me when I was going to be in ph,I told him I was coming that I am in Lagos already.I also spoke with my mum and told her the same thing.
Then I came back to the reality of things,that I don't have one naira on me. I was just seating at that office with all my bags and luggage like i was waiting for one fancy car coming to pick me up.
It around 10pm I was hungry but that was just the least of the problems. One guy,a travels agent who had earlier seen me there,came in and saw the hunger and struggle in my eyes. He cared to ask, so I told him my lifetime experience.He told me not to worry,took me to a private waiting lounge at the airport where some persons were already waiting.On the Ironbar benches there was where I spread my duvet and slept that night.
Next morning,the same dude came and took me to one of the airlines sales rep at the domestic terminal.After discussing with the lady, he told me the lady would fix me on the next flight to Ph,he gave his phone number and left. I thanked the guy a million times even if e no give me one penny I appreciated his efforts.
After waiting for hours not far from this lady,she didn't look at me like someone was waiting on her.They called the next flight to Ph was boarding but she didn't bother to say a word to me.So I went up to her and asked her howfar and why I was waiting on her.Then she told me she was sorry that the flight was fully booked that there were no spare seats. That she told Mr.pero she would help me if there were empty seats remaining.
For the first time,I felt like crying.All my hopes turned into glass.
Saying to myself I really need to call my mum and explain this thing to her so she can relate it to my dad so they can know and find a way to send me some money rather than thinking I was still in Lagos probably because I wanted to flex a little.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by djranking00(m): 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2021
Sonnobax15:
undecided
I was in ND2 as then...The hunger struck so hard on me to the extent that one fateful night,I arranged a gang (my hostel mates) and went into a nearby bush to search for snails cheesy. The funny part was that snails was being worshipped as a deity by the villagers...Na when their local vigilante jam us,dem begin warn us say na that the same bush armed robbers dey use as their hide outs after robbery sad na then we begin explain wetin carry us go there. Thank God we were with our school I.D cards grin. Las las,they set us
free...

Ozoro poly dat year
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by nnamdiosu(m): 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2021
stinjoe:
God will keep blessing Sir Nnamdiosu. You really saved me that day oo.. God's continuous blessings Sir!

You welcome bro.
I asked that question so you'll know I haven't forgotten you.

I'll definitely send you another 'small ' thing soon. Let me just settle down.

God will surely help us all, our struggle won't be long. Amen. It's well bro

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by berryPee(m): 1:46pm On Sep 30, 2021
I had to feed on raw cassava and water for 5days.

1 Like

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by gemiclem(m): 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2021
Greatn3ss:
I had to trek a very long distance just to save the last 150 I had with me for feeding for the rest of that day, when I got home I didn't want to drink garri because I've been drinking all the while but I had no choice cause my money couldn't afford anything tangible. Had to buy indomie #100 and garri #50, soaked the garri down while I was cooking the indomie so the garri can rise well. When the indomie was Ok i mix the garri with the indomie and ate so that it will at least hold me a little.. Many things o, even presently am doing part time labourer work after school hours just make them give me food chop, no payment.

E be things
0228268496 GTB
Abeg do something if God touch your heart

I get small something wey fit de give you 2k weekly if you serious
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by cosmos1440: 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2021
Offpoint1:
Ate eba with palm oil and salt...
Ate fufu with leftover indomie water
Ate raw rice with my neigbour's stew aroma
Trek from Oda Town in Akure to Futa to borrow N500.
Trek from Badadgry to Ajah for 30k job's interview...
If suffering was person, then it's Offpoint.

Life's brutal and those from less privilege homes take the worse share of it.

You don't know what the fxxck life is until you left your parents at teenage age, we ain't there yet but we will fight poverty with the last drop of our blood.
For those who got parental/relatives support and are still eating from their parents... You don't know y'all are lucky bastxxds

So, did you arrive early enough for the job interview ?
Or you trekked for 5days from Badagry to Ajah ?
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by iconnecta(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2021
drink semovita and milk
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by immortalityk: 1:52pm On Sep 30, 2021
gemiclem:

If 2k every weekend is not too small for you, contact me on my WhatsApp number. its on my signature
please can I also contact you?
I don't want to just disturb you
I got into an accident,I made the thread here on nairaland
I'm just still at home still healing,in large debts
if I can see anything from you sir,I will appreciate

https://www.nairaland.com/6745156/story-life-24-years-oldsad

I have many proofs to show I'm not lying
thanks
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by WowSweetGuy(m): 1:53pm On Sep 30, 2021
Manage to eat and expired food

Damn
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Meedon: 1:54pm On Sep 30, 2021
HRSweetness:

I'm so sorry for all you've been through cry
Ooin how sweet of you.
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by bigcee(m): 2:02pm On Sep 30, 2021
skammer:
Omo×1000

I can still remember vividly, how i ate 2cups of beans for 3 days cry
If i chop small, i go add more water, so e go plenty back. I did this for 3 days. May God help us
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by Greatn3ss: 2:07pm On Sep 30, 2021
gemiclem:

I get small something wey fit de give you 2k weekly if you serious
Honestly I'll appreciate that sir, if not for my studies I would have focused on more on hustling am not the begging type but I thank God for everything

1 Like

Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by ezeonline2(m): 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2021
Hunger bad o!
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by OkuFaba(m): 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2021
azraeljaheel:

bro its better not to have and then later have! Dan make u get now later no kum get! Na my case b dat nw! Am in a strange land na begn tinz! Went to a school in d area to clear their graz 4 2h! Imagine
it is well my brother
Re: What's The Weirdest Thing Hunger Made You Do? by gstream: 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2021
During my Undergraduate days at AAU ekopoma. I had already bought Garri to manage through Exam period, then the school authority concluded NO FEES, NO EXAM. omo see Gobe. I called my Parents in lagos, Omo, No show, I just kuku reason one Bros wey load me join pineapple motor go Abuja to Go see my uncle. Got there at night and slept at Zuba market because the vehicle was strolled to Abuja my uncle had left for the village that morning omo na so I weak. I left there for Lagos in those 404 old pick up again for Edo and then took soole(along) near UNIBEN to Lagos to cry on my folks for fees..still no level, I had to do Site work to get transport back to school and back to my garri that my Broda Rat were already feasting on...My Brothers & sisters, I be graduate las las.. this was in 2006. Nothing Balance Bro

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Posh Food Thread ❤ / Beware Of Reddish Palm Oil, NAFDAC Warns Nigerians / How Do You Feel When Not Given Food In An Occasion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.