Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People (5120 Views)

Responding To Hismasterpiece, "Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People" / Gloria Bamiloye: "Why Wearing Of Trousers By Christian Women Is Not Good" / New Atheists Are Not Intellectually Bright, Philosophers Agree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 8:21am On Oct 29, 2021
Vic2Ree:

Very interesting. Do you believe in a god, or you know there is a god. Also please provide a description of this god. Thanks
Personally, believe and know is not as strictly delineated as we like to make it. Within human experience, their are very few things we can know with absolute certainty.
For example, there is no way of me knowing with absolute certainty that my mind is not the only one in the entire universe and everyone I meet is not a figment of my imagination or a very cleverly orchestrated illusion.
Using the understanding of how my mind works and the realities around me, the best explanation is that my mind is not the only one in the universe and that the other people I meet are truly minds just like mine even though there's no way of knowing with irrefutable certainty. Their are people who subscribe to the skeptical end of the spectrum called solipsist.
So because within our universe and human experience, there's always going to be a degree of uncertainty and mystery, the question of knowing and believing is not as clear cut as we would like to have it.
We would never reach peak knowledge,so the better question IMO is, with what we do know, are there good reasons to believe what we do not know with absolute certainty? And are the reasons the best possible explanation from what we do know?

I am a Christian and I believe in the christian God.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:26am On Oct 29, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
Is Jesus a whiteman ...
Whether white, yellow or black the truth is that a divinely gifted man lived with Jew in the first century. So his skin color is of no benefits to me but his teachings that is uniting people from all races making them LOVE one another more than blood relations and infusing in their brains the idea that killing people because of racism or politics is not right.
That's the importance of Jesus Christ not his skin color, you bunch of FOOLS! cheesy
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 8:45am On Oct 29, 2021
Vic2Ree:

Hmmm. In most cases, this proposition is a response to the theist claim that god(s) exist. At least, speaking for myself, my active disbelief in god is as a result of lack of evidence for god(s) as described by multiple religions. As a result of this lack of evidence, I choose to withhold belief. So I don't see how I could be making any claims myself but please enlighten me.

Edited
Technically (at least from a philosopher's point of view) to withhold or suspend belief for whatever reason does not make one an atheist (at least not under the standard definition).
The problem statement is, Does God exist? Theism give a positive answer of yes.
The "a" in a-theism should be considered as a negation, so if theism is construed as the proposition that God does exist, then atheism is an answer to the question by stating that No, God(s) do not exist.
And if theism is to be broadened to a set of religious beliefs then atheism is more broadly a rejection of all forms of religious beliefs, regardless of their position about the divine ( this was what the extract reed was trying to point out).
The answer "lack of belief" is just a claim about the state of mind of the person, not a claim about existence/inexistence of God. It is not an answer to the question itself.

With that being said,their are many people who don't fall under the standard definition but self identify as atheist or theist and to me that's totally fine. Their are those who are technically irreligious or "nones" who might subscribe to belief in spiritual realities but reject an form of organized religion who self identify as atheist. And their those who are truly atheist but do not self identify as such because they don't want to be identified with the New atheist movement (Neil deGrasse Tyson I believe falls under the category). And their are those who are theist(eg christians) who are practical atheist because even though they say they believe in a deity, they live as if their is no deity.
This view does make having conversations a bit harder cos we all have to define or redefine what we mean but that's just part of the complexity of human interaction (in my opinion).

So do I have a problem with people using "lack of belief" as their definition of atheism? Not really
What is kinda of unsettling is when people choose to make it the universal definition whilst willfully rejecting the standard definition(perhaps because it's unsettling to them and their worldview ); Especially since their definition is almost non existent amongst the people who study the subject matter for a living.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 8:52am On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Okay, so let's read through the entire section where you got that extract from

Please what do you think that portion is trying to say again?

It makes it clear that the meaning of atheism has to be broader than merely saying it is a claim that gods do not exist. Certainly some atheists make that claim but not all just like the way JWs are Christian but do not believe that Jesus is the god, you can formulate a definition of Christianity that excludes them from that label.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 9:10am On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Technically (at least from a philosopher's point of view) to withhold or suspend belief for whatever reason does not make one an atheist (at least not under the standard definition).
The "a" in a-theism should be considered as a negation, so if theism is construed as the proposition that God does exist, then atheism is an answer to the question by stating that No, God(s) do not exist.
And if theism is to be broadened to a set of religious beliefs then atheism is more broadly a rejection of all forms of religious beliefs, regardless of their position about the divine ( this was what the extract reed was trying to point out).
The answer "lack of belief" is just a claim about the state of mind of the person, not a claim about existence/inexistence of God. It is not an answer to the question itself.

With that being said,their are many people who don't fall under the standard definition but self identify as atheist or theist and to me that's totally fine. Their are those who are technically irreligious or "nones" who might subscribe to belief in spiritual realities but reject an form of organized religion who self identify as atheist. And their those who are truly atheist but do not self identify as such because they don't want to be identified with the New atheist movement (Neil deGrasse Tyson I believe falls under the category). And their are those who are theist(eg christians) who are practical atheist because even though they say they believe in a deity, they live as if their is no deity.
This view does make having conversations a bit harder cos we all have to define or redefine what we mean but that's just part of the complexity of human interaction (in my opinion).

So do I have a problem with people using "lack of belief" as their definition of atheism? Not really
What is kinda of unsettling is when people choose to make it the universal definition whilst willfully rejecting the standard definition(perhaps because it's unsettling to them and their worldview ); Especially since their definition is almost non existent amongst the people who study the subject matter for a living.

Just like it is unsettling to some Christians that other Christians exist under that label who do not hold beliefs they consider core to being considered Christian yet the definition is broad enough to accommodate those differing beliefs.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 9:19am On Oct 29, 2021
LordReed:

It makes it clear that the meaning of atheism has to be broader than merely saying it is a claim that gods do not exist.
And what it does is cast a wider the definition to
include all rejection of religious beliefs if theism is defined as a set of religious beliefs.
Nowhere in that section does it propose that atheism includes a "lack of belief".

Pls read the section in full again to understand it's claim

Also read my read my reply to vic2ree for further expansion of thoughts.

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 9:44am On Oct 29, 2021
LordReed:

Just like it is unsettling to some Christians that other Christians exist under that label who do not hold beliefs they consider core to being considered Christian yet the definition is broad enough to accommodate those differing beliefs.
This in no way negates anything I wrote. There are many christians who choose to say that Christianity is not a religion (but just a relationship). That doesn't change the fact that Christianity is in fact a religion and if one was to study it, one would study it as a religion.

We live in a world where people choose to define terms on their own for one reason or another, which is fine(as I stated in my piece),but doesn't make their "definition" authoritative.

Pls read what I wrote again in it's entirety. I've pasted the most relevant part IMO below
jamesid29:

Point is, you can choose to subscribe with the "lack of belief" definition. That is within your proragative.
What is outside of your prorogative is to say that atheism should not be defined as " the proposition that God(s) do not exist" ; Especially when that is the standard definition within the field that studies it itself.

You can not say I'm wrong with the standard definition the same way I cannot disregard the big bang theory as purely an educated guess because I choose to define theory using it's colloquial understanding of being something that is a "an idea or opinion". That might be true for an everyday conversation but that is not true for the field of science itself or a scientific theory. Of course within science itself, there can be majority and minority views but that's a separate conversation on its own and should be weighed on each views merit.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 10:50am On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

This in no way negates anything I wrote. There are many christians who choose to say that Christianity is not a religion (but just a relationship). That doesn't change the fact that Christianity is in fact a religion and if one was to study it, one would study it as a religion.

We live in a world where people choose to define terms on their own for one reason or another, which is fine(as I stated in my piece),but doesn't make their "definition" authoritative.

Pls read what I wrote again in it's entirety. I've pasted the most relevant part IMO below
Point is, you can choose to subscribe with the "lack of belief" definition. That is within your proragative.
What is outside of your prorogative is to say that atheism should not be defined as " the proposition that God(s) do not exist" ; Especially when that is the standard definition within the field that studies it itself.

You can not say I'm wrong with the standard definition the same way I cannot disregard the big bang theory as purely an educated guess because I choose to define theory using it's colloquial understanding of being something that is a "an idea or opinion". That might be true for an everyday conversation but that is not true for the field of science itself or a scientific theory. Of course within science itself, there can be majority and minority views but that's a separate conversation on its own and should be weighed on each views merit.

Not meant to negate what you said but for you to realise that this is the way things work. Meanings can be broadened by virtue of the way people use a word. You will be wrong to say JWs are not Christian because they don't adhere to your particular definition of Christian.

1 Like

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 10:59am On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

And what it does is cast a wider the definition to
include all rejection of religious beliefs if theism is defined as a set of religious beliefs.
Nowhere in that section does it propose that atheism includes a "lack of belief".

Pls read the section in full again to understand it's claim

Also read my read my reply to vic2ree for further expansion of thoughts.

Read this section and digest it.

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by XXXXTENTACION: 11:31am On Oct 29, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Whether white, yellow or black the truth is that a divinely gifted man lived with Jew in the first century. So his skin color is of no benefits to me but his teachings that is uniting people from all races making them LOVE one another more than blood relations and infusing in their brains the idea that killing people because of racism or politics is not right.
That's the importance of Jesus Christ not his skin color, you bunch of FOOLS! cheesy
Is jesus a jew...
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:35am On Oct 29, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
Is jesus a jew...
He was born bread and raised amongst the Jews by a Jewish couple, i don't bloody care about that just as i don't care about the skin colour or nationality of the man who invented telephone before i began using it! undecided
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by XXXXTENTACION: 12:44pm On Oct 29, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

He was born bread and raised amongst the Jews by a Jewish couple, i don't bloody care about that just as i don't care about the skin colour or nationality of the man who invented telephone before i began using it! undecided
The devil invented the internet and you use the internet do you know you are already going to hell... .. undecided
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Vic2Ree(m): 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

I get your point but you seem to be ignoring the fact that not all atheists are part of academia. Most people who disbelieve in god(s) don't have any knowledge of philosophy or care to have said knowledge. At the end of the day, I think our perspectives are ultimately subjective and only you can understand your own beliefs
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Tamaratonye5(f): 1:17pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Yeah. So if the the question of the existence/inexistence of the divine falls under the field of philosophy, would you agree that the adequate definition of atheism should come from from the field of philosophy itself?
Are you aware that philosophers don't have a patent on the definition of atheism?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Near1: 1:43pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Turns out that the definition of atheism as "lack of belief in god(s)" is almost non existent in the field of philosophy itself.
In almost all the encyclopedia & dictionaries of philosophy and amongst philosophers and in academia the standard definition of atheism is " the belief/view that there is no god(s)" or put in another way "The proposition that God(s) do not exist."

You can check
Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy( one of the most cited encyclopedia of philosophy)

Routledge encyclopedia of philosophy

Internet encyclopedia of philosophy

Encyclopedia Britannica

ismbook.com/ism-list/

The oxford companion to philosophy

oxford dictionary of philosophy

Blackwell dictionary of western philosophy

Cambridge dictionary of philosophy (the only dictionary to include the none-standard definition in a positive light but it itself holds to the standard definition as it's preferred one)

and so on

And it's what noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.

So amongst the vast majorities dictionaries of philosophy and within philosophical discourse itself, the standard definition is used.

That I think begs the question why the vast majority of people on the internet and atheist activists still chose to insist that atheism is simply " the lack of belief in god(s)"? A definition that's almost none existent in academia itself.

These four references from your list did not support your assertion:

Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
https://iep.utm.edu/atheism/
"The term 'atheist' describes a person who does not believe that God or a divine being exists."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/atheism...of-atheism
"Instead of saying that an atheist is someone who believes that it is false or probably false that there is a God, a more adequate characterization of atheism consists in the more complex claim that to be an atheist is to be someone who rejects belief in God for the following reasons (which reason is stressed depends on how God is being conceived):" etc.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10....&result=11
"A belief in the non-existence of a God or gods, or (more broadly) an absence of belief in their existence."
(Both Oxford references led to the same place.)

I only found that a couple references on your list included a definition which supported your assertion. I could not check several. Perhaps you would be so kind as to double check your own assertion and provide the quotes and links required to support your assertion, if in fact you found them somewhere even within the four above-listed references (I would assume a wide range of opinions are represented within each work cited).

In the meantime, it appears such philosophical references do not present any consistent definition for atheism between them and perhaps within them.

1 Like

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Oladimeji247(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

How about the positive claim of "God does not exist, but if you want to believe in talking snakes and donkeys, flying chariots and people that's fine, but with that kind of mentality you are disqualified from any intelligence discourse with atheists?" grin
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Near1: 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

And it's [worth] noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.

What gave you that impression? Certainly not all philosophers are atheists.

I would assume that the definitions of atheism as a positive belief were written by theistic philosophers, whereas the definitions of atheism as either a positive belief or a lack of belief were written by atheists (or perhaps by people without an ax to grind).
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
The devil invented the internet and you use the internet do you know you are already going to hell... .. undecided

And who told you that devil invented internet?

This your atheism is not good for your brains o!

Humans are developing their technological innovations gradually, God created humans and said:

Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth. Genesis 1:28

Note the highlighted in red, God said mankind should "SUBDUE THE EARTH" meaning it was God's plan that man should discovered all the potentials of the earth, atmosphere, gravitational forces and other useful things.

It's due to delay in continuity that brought us this far, otherwise if humans have to live for millenniums they would have discovered more than what we have today but because death keeps devastating the continuity in the discoveries that's why we are this slow.

So stop talking nonsense God already wanted humans to achieve much more than what we have today. For your information when we finally gain everlasting life will be so good because we will enjoy youthful life forever and nothing will stop or hinder our speedy advancement in technology! undecided
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Darkprime(m): 3:47pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Turns out that the definition of atheism as "lack of belief in god(s)" is almost non existent in the field of philosophy itself.
In almost all the encyclopedia & dictionaries of philosophy and amongst philosophers and in academia the standard definition of atheism is " the belief/view that there is no god(s)" or put in another way "The proposition that God(s) do not exist."

You can check
Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy( one of the most cited encyclopedia of philosophy)

Routledge encyclopedia of philosophy

Internet encyclopedia of philosophy

Encyclopedia Britannica

ismbook.com/ism-list/

The oxford companion to philosophy

oxford dictionary of philosophy

Blackwell dictionary of western philosophy

Cambridge dictionary of philosophy (the only dictionary to include the none-standard definition in a positive light but it itself holds to the standard definition as it's preferred one)

and so on

And it's what noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.

So amongst the vast majorities dictionaries of philosophy and within philosophical discourse itself, the standard definition is used.

That I think begs the question why the vast majority of people on the internet and atheist activists still chose to insist that atheism is simply " the lack of belief in god(s)"? A definition that's almost none existent in academia itself.

Hi there. If you look up "begs the question" in those same philosophical dictionaries, I think you'll find it doesn't mean what you think it means!
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Tamaratonye5(f): 5:14pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

What purpose would it serve in modern philosophy? If it didn't appear 12th - 19th century European philosophy, that may have been because the Christian god was taken for granted - indeed, had to be taken for granted, because questioning his existence was subject to punishment ranging from social disapprobation to public execution. In the definition you cite, there is a nod to other religions (gods) that would not have occurred to a European philosopher in the 1700's - they were all more theologians than philosophers: their categorization of thought-systems was quite different from those of the ancient Greeks, their Asians counterparts and modern ethicists. The god(s) thing is an afterthought; none besides Jehovah and his two alter egos is seriously considered as objects of faith between 400AD and 1900AD.

jamesid29:

And it's what worth noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.
How do you know this? And why is it relevant?

jamesid29:

Is this accurate? I don't think philosophical reference books do stop at that skimpy definition. For instance, from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

The purpose of this entry is to explore how atheism and agnosticism are related to theism and, more importantly, to each other. This requires examining the surprisingly contentious issue of how best to define the terms “atheism” and “agnosticism”. Settling this issue, at least for the purposes of this entry, will set the stage for discussing an important distinction between global atheism and local atheism, which in turn will be helpful for distinguishing different forms of agnosticism.

It goes on to explore seven main aspects of the question in detail. The Oxford Companion to Philosophy has a short entry, by William Clifford, that reads, in part:

Atheism is ostensibly the doctrine that there is no God. Some atheists support this claim arguments. But these arguments are usually directed against the Christian concept of God, and are largely irrelevant to other possible gods

So he's expressly putting atheism in opposition to one other belief, and not in any larger context. If theism is referred-to as a "positive state", that reveals a fundamental bias - one that was prevalent in Eurocentric philosophy of the 19th and early 20th century. It places one single belief at the center of a world-view which is not further elaborated. But the seeds of dissent were present in the late 19th, and non-, as well as anti-religious thought surged in the second half of the 20th century. Euro-phil is liberated from the Christian doctrine by Bertrand Russell and his cohort, c 1930.

One idea does not make a philosophy. A belief in gods, ghosts, Manifest Destiny, Justice, Fate, the Unity of all Things, dark matter or the Rules of Acquisition, is but one aspect of a world view, a basis for one's attitude to life, other life forms, the physical world, moral standards, social organization and the drafting of laws. A conscientious philosopher would not regard either the lack of belief or the denial - even the vehement denial - of a single proposition as an end in itself, but proceed to explore the conceptual worlds to which that proposition logically gives rise. Of course, in the past century and a half, quite a few philosophers have done so.

jamesid29:

Do most of the people you know, in cyberspace or walking life, describe their own conviction about anything in academic terms? I suspect most atheists describe themselves that way, because they have, at some point, broken with a religious dogma, but not troubled to build an entire philosophy of their own.

I'm not sure what an atheist activist is. I think most are referring to a particular political issue, rather than a fully formed world-view. They're limiting their definition to a specific issue or context. Is Hitchens an activist? Okay, he was a bit smug and off-putting, poor guy. Russell and Huxley, I found quite engaging. Maybe it's the advantage of having a very class English at the tip of their pens. There are several types - flavours?, yes - of Western atheism in the early 21st century, but the major challenge to all of them is the aggressive resurgence of state religion. If atheists are too loud and shrill, it's because they're shouting back at a hurricane.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 5:56pm On Oct 29, 2021
Near1:

"The term 'atheist' describes a person who does not believe that God or a divine being exists."
Okayy. How is that contradictory to what I stated?

"Instead of saying that an atheist is someone who believes that it is false or probably false that there is a God, a more adequate characterization of atheism consists in the more complex claim that to be an atheist is to be someone who rejects belief in God for the following reasons (which reason is stressed depends on how God is being conceived):" etc.
Firstly sir,The link you pasted is incorrect and I did a word search on britannica's topic on atheism, but your exert didn't come up. Below is Britannica's reference on athiesm under the subject of philosophy. I'll also paste a picture of it's entry if you'd like.

Atheism, in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/atheism

"A belief in the non-existence of a God or gods, or (more broadly) an absence of belief in their existence."
Again here sir, your link does not pan out.

Oxford references is not the same as "The oxford companion to philosophy" or "oxford dictionary of philosophy". This two are specific dictionaries, while oxford references is an all purpose site with references from a wide variety of oxford publication.

Below is the reference by "The oxford companion to philosophy" and link
atheism and agnosticism.
Atheism is ostensibly the doctrine that there is no God. Some atheists support this claim by arguments. But these arguments are usually directed against the Christian concept of God, and are largely irrelevant to other possible gods. Thus much Western atheism may be better understood as the doctrine that the Christian God does not exist.... ...
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199264797.001.0001/acref-9780199264797-e-166?rskey=3OGKCc&result=166

And a quick Google search for a definition from Oxford References itself gives the below definition:

The theory or belief that God does not exist. The word comes (in the late 16th century, via French) from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.
below are the links:
https:///3EqCtjp or you can go directly to the google link.: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095431374#:~:text=The%20theory%20or%20belief%20that,'%20%2B%20theos%20'god'.

Although I should also mention that the oxford dictionary of philosophy(Simon Blackburn) in it's 3rd edition does include "lack of belief" alongside the standard definition as a it's entry.
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=Mno8CwAAQBAJ&pg=PR5&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false [ page 36]
[/quote]

I only found that a couple references on your list included a definition which supported your assertion. I could not check several. Perhaps you would be so kind as to double check your own assertion and provide the quotes and links required to support your assertion, if in fact you found them somewhere even within the four above-listed references (I would assume a wide range of opinions are represented within each work cited).

I'm not sure we're looking at the same references sir.
And also I'm not sure how you missed the first entry on my post(Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy). since it's one of the most fully fledged piece on the subject with lots of references. And also one of the most cited online encyclopedias of philosophy.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agnosticism/

In the meantime, it appears such philosophical references do not present any consistent definition for atheism between them and perhaps within them.
Kindly read my replies to vic2ree a fuller expansion of thought on the matter.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 6:16pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

Firstly sir,The link you pasted is incorrect and I did a word search on britannica's topic on atheism, but your exert didn't come up. Below is Britannica's reference on athiesm under the subject of philosophy. I'll also paste a picture of it's entry if you'd like.

Atheism, in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.

Oxford references is not the same as "The oxford companion to philosophy" or "oxford dictionary of philosophy". This two are specific dictionaries, while oxford references is an all purpose site with references from a wide variety of oxford publication.

atheism and agnosticism.
Atheism is ostensibly the doctrine that there is no God. Some atheists support this claim by arguments. But these arguments are usually directed against the Christian concept of God, and are largely irrelevant to other possible gods. Thus much Western atheism may be better understood as the doctrine that the Christian God does not exist.... ...
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199264797.001.0001/acref-9780199264797-e-166?rskey=3OGKCc&result=166

And a quick Google search for a definition from Oxford References itself gives the below definition:

The theory or belief that God does not exist. The word comes (in the late 16th century, via French) from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.
below are the links:
https:///3EqCtjp or you can go directly to the google link.: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095431374#:~:text=The%20theory%20or%20belief%20that,'%20%2B%20theos%20'god'.

Although I should also mention that the oxford dictionary of philosophy(Simon Blackburn) in it's 3rd edition does include "lack of belief" alongside the standard definition as a it's entry.
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=Mno8CwAAQBAJ&pg=PR5&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false [ page 36]

And also I'm not sure how you missed the first entry on my post(Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy). since it's one of the most fully fledged piece on the subject with lots of references. And also one of the most cited online encyclopedias of philosophy.

Kindly read my replies to vic2ree a fuller expansion of thought on the matter.

It's almost as if you only read a few lines and stop. The following is from the Stanford page:

1 Like

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2021
Vic2Ree:

I get your point but you seem to be ignoring the fact that not all atheists are part of academia. Most people who disbelieve in god(s) don't have any knowledge of philosophy or care to have said knowledge. At the end of the day, I think our perspectives are ultimately subjective and only you can understand your own beliefs
I also get your point and if you go through what my earlier posts, I personally in no way have a problem how people choose to self identify.
It is within each person's propagative to choose what to believe without even needing to justify it as long as they are not trampling on the right of others or causing societal or self harm.
Below is an exert:
jamesid29:

With that being said,their are many people who don't fall under the standard definition but self identify as atheist or theist and to me that's totally fine.
I'm also not a philosopher by any stretch of the word
The conversation only started when reed(like most people tend to do online) tend to disregard standard definitions and only make their own prefered definition the legitimate/authoritive one.
LordReed:

Wrong. Once again atheism is the lack of belief in gods, it is not the proposition that gods do not exist. Try again.

If the answer has simply being something along the lines of, " I acknowledge the other definition(s) but I only subscribe to this particular definition cos it better articulates what I hold to be true".
That would have been a different conversation and in my opinion a legitimate answer.

I hope you get where I'm coming from sir.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2021
LordReed:

Read this section and digest it.
I have. Again can you kindly point out where it deviates from the standard position?

Also, it seems you are even missing the point of the conversation. Pls see my reply to vic2rer

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 7:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
LordReed:

It's almost as if you only read a few lines and stop. The following is from the Stanford page:
Again, I'm reading it sir.
Below is the full exert of the portion you pasted out.

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

I have. Again can you kindly point out where it deviates from the standard position?

Also, it seems you are even missing the point of the conversation. Pls see my reply to vic2rer

You are proposing we adhere to a strict philosophical definition of atheism are you not?
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2021
Tamaratonye5:

What purpose would it serve in modern philosophy? If it didn't appear 12th - 19th century European philosophy, that may have been because the Christian god was taken for granted - indeed, had to be taken for granted, because questioning his existence was subject to punishment ranging from social disapprobation to public execution. In the definition you cite, there is a nod to other religions (gods) that would not have occurred to a European philosopher in the 1700's - they were all more theologians than philosophers: their categorization of thought-systems was quite different from those of the ancient Greeks, their Asians counterparts and modern ethicists. The god(s) thing is an afterthought; none besides Jehovah and his two alter egos is seriously considered as objects of faith between 400AD and 1900AD.

How do you know this? And why is it relevant?

Is this accurate? I don't think philosophical reference books do stop at that skimpy definition. For instance, from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

It goes on to explore seven main aspects of the question in detail. The Oxford Companion to Philosophy has a short entry, by William Clifford, that reads, in part:

So he's expressly putting atheism in opposition to one other belief, and not in any larger context. If theism is referred-to as a "positive state", that reveals a fundamental bias - one that was prevalent in Eurocentric philosophy of the 19th and early 20th century. It places one single belief at the center of a world-view which is not further elaborated. But the seeds of dissent were present in the late 19th, and non-, as well as anti-religious thought surged in the second half of the 20th century. Euro-phil is liberated from the Christian doctrine by Bertrand Russell and his cohort, c 1930.

One idea does not make a philosophy. A belief in gods, ghosts, Manifest Destiny, Justice, Fate, the Unity of all Things, dark matter or the Rules of Acquisition, is but one aspect of a world view, a basis for one's attitude to life, other life forms, the physical world, moral standards, social organization and the drafting of laws. A conscientious philosopher would not regard either the lack of belief or the denial - even the vehement denial - of a single proposition as an end in itself, but proceed to explore the conceptual worlds to which that proposition logically gives rise. Of course, in the past century and a half, quite a few philosophers have done so.

Do most of the people you know, in cyberspace or walking life, describe their own conviction about anything in academic terms? I suspect most atheists describe themselves that way, because they have, at some point, broken with a religious dogma, but not troubled to build an entire philosophy of their own.

I'm not sure what an atheist activist is. I think most are referring to a particular political issue, rather than a fully formed world-view. They're limiting their definition to a specific issue or context. Is Hitchens an activist? Okay, he was a bit smug and off-putting, poor guy. Russell and Huxley, I found quite engaging. Maybe it's the advantage of having a very class English at the tip of their pens. There are several types - flavours?, yes - of Western atheism in the early 21st century, but the major challenge to all of them is the aggressive resurgence of state religion. If atheists are too loud and shrill, it's because they're shouting back at a hurricane.

There's a lot to unpack here but I think you missed the central points of my claims.

Pls refer to some of my other post to Reed and vic2ree (especially the last one), to get the core of what I was pointing out. Thanks
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by jamesid29(m): 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2021
LordReed:

You are proposing we adhere to a strict philosophical definition of atheism are you not?
LoL... Pls read through my post with you and vic2ree again then.

This one might best illuminate the conversation
https://www.nairaland.com/6812440/why-believe-atheists-not-good/5#107163275
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Tamaratonye5(f): 7:29pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:
Near1:

"The term 'atheist' describes a person who does not believe that God or a divine being exists.
What you said is that atheism according to these sources does not provide representation of the definition that atheism equals a lack of belief. A person who "does not believe" is a person who lacks belief in the proposition that a god exists. The two are largely synonymous, so examining your first citation you were wrong.

Here's what you claimed:

It turns out that the definition of atheism as "lack of belief in god(s)" is almost non existent in the field of philosophy itself.

jamesid29:
Near1:

This citation appears to be defective as well, as it characterizes atheism as, "rejection of religious beliefs." That's perfectly consistent with lack of belief; if you reject a belief, you don't hold that belief. It doesn't necessarily mean you embrace a position opposite to those beliefs in denying that a god exists. The Britannica entry makes that clear in the following quote where it points out that conceiving of atheims as a denial is problematic:

To say that atheism is the denial of God or the gods and that it is the opposite of theism, a system of belief that affirms the reality of God and seeks to demonstrate his existence, is inadequate in a number of ways.

jamesid29:
Near1:

Yes, this is an error on Near1's part.

jamesid29:

atheism and agnosticism.
I'd have to see the full entry, but we'll accept your claim as valid for that article in the companion pending further investigation of the source. However, the companion is not a dictionary and doesn't try to be. My experience with Oxford Companion books is that they're more like a reader's anthology than a dictionary. So this ultimately isn't legitimate support for your claim.

jamesid29:

below are the links:
This is similar to what general-purpose dictionaries present and isn't really more than a quick and dirty reference for word definitions. The quote you gave constitutes the entirety of that reference. On the other hand, Oxford Reference also does quote Oxford's "The Dictionary Of Atheism" which does support the lack of belief definition which Near1 quoted. So that's one that does and one that doesn't.

jamesid29:

So that's another in the lack of belief column.

jamesid29:
Near1:
I've already discussed the problem with the Stanford entry, but since the Stanford entry does mention Antony Flew's advocacy of the lack of belief definition, so that's another strike against your claim.

So totaling things up:

Supports lack definition: 5

Doesn't support lack defn: 1 (Oxford Reference's primary entry for atheism)

Undetermined: 5 (ismbook actually says active disbelief, which could fall both ways, but it is counted as undetermined for now.)

So even if all 5 undetermined references went your way, at best, half don't reference lack of belief. If those examined are typical, then most actually do reference lack of belief.

1 Like

Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Oladimeji247(m): 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

It is within each person's propagative

undecided
Okay. Continue grin

The conversation only started when reed(like most people tend to do online) tend to disregard standard definitions and only make their own prefered definition the legitimate/authoritive one.

Since when are "philosophical" definitions (and you haven't even proved this is the case) the *standard" ones?

And yes, it is absolutely my prerogative to use the definition of most dictionaries and not some mythical "philosophers" in "academia". cheesy
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by LordReed(m): 8:13pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:

I also get your point and if you go through what my earlier posts, I personally in no way have a problem how people choose to self identify.
It is within each person's propagative to choose what to believe without even needing to justify it as long as they are not trampling on the right of others or causing societal or self harm.
Below is an exert:

I'm also not a philosopher by any stretch of the word

If the answer has simply being something along the lines of, " I acknowledge the other definition(s) but I only subscribe to this particular definition cos it better articulates what I hold to be true".
That would have been a different conversation and in my opinion a legitimate answer.

I hope you get where I'm coming from sir.

And do you get where we are coming from? We are using a broader definition of atheism that includes the standard definition as you call it. There is no reason to quibble over this unless you want to hold us over the barrel with the standard definition.
Re: Why I Believe Atheists Are Not Good People by Tamaratonye5(f): 10:02pm On Oct 29, 2021
jamesid29:
[size=8pt][/size]
There's a lot to unpack here but I think you missed the central points of my claims.

Pls refer to some of my other post to Reed and vic2ree (especially the last one), to get the core of what I was pointing out. Thanks
I've read them all, thank you very much, but you have not successfully made the case that there is One True Definition. If two different dictionaries have two different definitions, how do you get to claim one is the standard and the other is not?

Furthermore, I don't see what's so unsettling about the claim "lack of belief" since it is basically the null hypothesis between "I believe god(s) exist" and "I don't believe god(s) exist. I can assume that a lack of belief is appropriate until evidence shows otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

You Stand In Christ Stead- Pastor Chris / 666 Hand Sign In Deeper Lifes, Women Mirror Magazine / Ugandan Pastor Uses Lady As Practical While Education Sex To Church Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 210
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.