Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? (47519 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / Which Of These Soups Is Best With Akpu? / Have You Tried Egusi Stew With White Rice? Yes There Is Egusi Stew For Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Prettyclown: 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2021
South east
iamyemiakins:
Who get soup pass between South-East and South-South sef?!

Make I know where I go dey find babe from, I must try all these soups and more! tongue

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by nedekid: 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

Even if an Angel comes from heaven to inform me that eating Ewedu will stop all of Earth's problems.

Please, let the problems continue.

I'm not going to guzzle hydraulic fluid.
Bros, ewedu with gbegiri is the bomb. You don't know what you are missing. cool
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by WispyEthereal: 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2021
Geekop:
That's not all...
What about white soup, black soup and the rest smiley smiley
there are so many not on the list
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Prettyclown: 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2021
I have tried every except....Miyan kuka and Gbegiri
iamyemiakins:
How many of the soups in the picture below have you tried/tasted?

I have tried six of them:
Okra
Ewedu
Ogbono
Egusi
Ẹ̀fọ́ rírò
Gbegiri

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Prettyclown: 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2021
I have tried everything except....Miyan kuka and Gbegiri
iamyemiakins:
How many of the soups in the picture below have you tried/tasted?

I have tried six of them:
Okra
Ewedu
Ogbono
Egusi
Ẹ̀fọ́ rírò
Gbegiri

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Prettyclown: 3:38pm On Oct 30, 2021
Are u not Yoruba
TarOrfeeek:

Even if an Angel comes from heaven to inform me that eating Ewedu will stop all of Earth's problems.

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by delpee(f): 3:39pm On Oct 30, 2021
Afriqan:
I love all 5 Yoruba soups: Efo Riro, Ewedu + Gbegiri, Okro soup and Egusi... Yum!

Actually there are more Yoruba soups which are now virtually lost to urbanisation. Ebolo (like coriander) and Worowo (bologi) soups for instance are made from highly nutritious vegetables. It's only recently that I started seeing ebolo in some Lagos markets though It's a seasonal veggie and most common around Osun/Oyo states.

There's also Obe Isapa (roselle) with or without egusi that is taken with pounded yam and Elegede (field pumpkin) soup.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Sonyboom765: 3:41pm On Oct 30, 2021
Your dead brain igbo father hate so tey u don de hate ewedu too...lol. Bro your entire household is doomed with exception of nobody.
TarOrfeeek:

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 30, 2021
delpee:

Actually there are more Yoruba soups which are now virtually lost to urbanisation. Ebolo and worowo soups for instance are made from highly nutritious vegetables. It's only recently that I started seeing ebolo in some Lagos markets though It's a seasonal veggie and most common around Osun/Oyo states.

There's also Obe Isapa (roselle) with or without egusi that is taken with pounded yam.

That's so true. We lost most of our traditional foods to westernisation. We are always the ones to stop a child from speaking our native language and adopting bread and sardine instead of Eba and Egusi... SMH embarassed
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by jozee8: 3:43pm On Oct 30, 2021
Apart from Nsala soup, I've eaten all grin
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by FuckAllTheMODs: 3:46pm On Oct 30, 2021
36STATES:

They like to give everything their Yoruba names. Like none existent Ofada rice. Even rice grown in the north and east are called Ofada rice by average Yoruba man, even though there is no rice grown in Ofada in any significant quantity. They even have Abakeleke and Sokoto rice bagged and lebled Ofada rice.

Don't mind them, that is their way na.

Unluckily for them, people are wiser now and can see through that cunning act.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2021
All minus 1, 11, 12
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by ImaIma1(f): 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2021
Cooked all. The ibibio white soup version of ofe nsala. Made Miyan kuka for food and nutrition practical. #cookingisfun
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by iamDrRhymes(m): 3:49pm On Oct 30, 2021
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 30, 2021
BlackyOne:

how would you like to be treated to your second Banga soup experience?

Looking forward to that day yuh. cheesy I would like it nicely packaged with enough side attractions ( if you know what I mean) and delivered to my door step. tongue

Can you cook?
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by delpee(f): 3:53pm On Oct 30, 2021
Afriqan:

That's so true. We lost most of our traditional foods to westernisation. We are always the ones to stop a child from speaking our native language and adopting bread and sardine instead of Eba and Egusi... SMH embarassed

People are becoming wiser now. People now know that those veggies are highly nutritious. Those living abroad are sending their kids for Yoruba language and culture lessons.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by EraseTheDot: 3:58pm On Oct 30, 2021
Yorubaritua1ist:

Says a yoruba man.. I guess ofe onugbu,oha,nsala,ogbono soup,ofe owerri and the rest are borrowed..igbo is the tribe that have highest number of different cuisines in Nigeria
White soup belongs to Efik/Ibibios, ibos cooked a borrowed version.
Vegetable soups ain't ibo's forte. Oha soup is a watery soup with some sprinkle of scent leaves. Bitter leaf soup is a general delicacy.

-erase the dot

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:01pm On Oct 30, 2021
gasparpisciotta:
Igbo have the best soups of all the tribes....salute!
not true, all are variations of the same thing

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by delpee(f): 4:03pm On Oct 30, 2021
oluwaseyi0:

I don't know but what I do know is that we south west don't have much soup probably just 3 or 4 popular soup variety and that's all

My Igbo family friend on the other hand is always cooking different stuff, they can afford to rotate soup for complete two months without repeating any variety, Yoruba options will be exhausted in less than 2 weeks of regular cooking considering you cook soup every four to five days

We have many actually. I mentioned some in my previous post. Some like ogbono (apon in Yoruba) and bitter leaf soup are also traditional Yoruba soups.

I learnt from the elders who grew up in the villages. We do have different types of vegetables cooked in various ways but most are hardly available in city markets. Some are seasonal.

For instance, I don't see amunututu (local spinach) in markets but it's usually available in Asian/Lebanese stores.

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2021
Box18:
Why una not put ogwho soup ? that soup na one in a million.
no owho, no black soup, no groundnut soup, op is a joker

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by malcom1X: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2021
Afriqan:
I love all 5 Yoruba soups: Efo Riro, Ewedu + Gbegiri, Okro soup and Egusi... Yum!

Egusi is an Igbo name.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2021
femi4:
The combo is superb with Tuwo. You're limiting yourself
Better with Amala and ponmo and titus fish. Very light and delicious
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2021
malcom1X:

Evusi is an Igbo name.
no it isn't. No tribe can claim egusi. It is universally nigerian
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by debbydams(f): 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2021
Egusi
Efo riro
Ewedu
Gbegiri
Okro
Ogbno
White soup
Miyan kuka
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by EraseTheDot: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2021
ImaIma1:
Cooked all. The ibibio white soup version of ofe nsala. Made Miyan kuka for food and nutrition practical.
After i jam one babe from that axis, i threw away all ibo soups. ibo soups are borrowed soups.

-erase the dot
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by silibaba: 4:09pm On Oct 30, 2021
Longsleeve:
I've tried 7.. Egusi still remains the best..

I don't think I will like Gbegiri and ewedu..

South south.

You lied.

Ewedu and that gbegiri na turn off for me.

Bitterleaf soup all the way cool
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:09pm On Oct 30, 2021
FuckAllTheMODs:

Which one is efo riro?

OP, the proper name is vegetable soup since it cut across different tribes.

I have eaten all but I don't think I can eat any of gbegiri, ewedu, miyankuka etc again or anytime soon. I had them during my years as a student and as a corp member.
My favorite is onugbo mixed with fresh egusi or Ogbono soup or onugbo alone...
The mixing is learnt from frequent patronizing of restaurants back then. cheesy grin
there a difference between vegetable soup and ego riro
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by ImaIma1(f): 4:11pm On Oct 30, 2021
EraseTheDot:

After i jam one babe from that axis, i threw away all ibo soups. ibo soups are borrowed soups.

-erase the dot

Borrowed? They have bitterleaf soup, oha, ofe Owerri, ofe nsala, etc. I love soups. So I cooked practically all. And I like to learn the soups from an indigene
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by adedayoa2(f): 4:12pm On Oct 30, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Who get soup pass between South-East and South-South sef?!

Make I know where I go dey find babe from, I must try all these soups and more! tongue
South south, those people dey cook food.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by delpee(f): 4:12pm On Oct 30, 2021
3gpvids:
Ewedu shall never see me
amen

: grin grin
Google about the health benefits. It's taken in other parts of the world, not just Yorubaland.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Iykoto86(m): 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2021
Longsleeve:
I've tried 7.. Egusi still remains the best..

I don't think I will like Gbegiri and ewedu..

South south.
you sure so bros?people they cook better soup here sha.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by adedayoa2(f): 4:15pm On Oct 30, 2021
I have eaten all, that miyan kiku is it the soup they call luru?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

See The Nsala (White) Soup That Will Make You Keep Asking For More (Photos,Video / Nigerian Delicacies That Will Make You Bite Your Fingers- Photos / Look At The Snake I Just Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.