Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,527 members, 7,837,014 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? (10622 Views)

Why Do You Choose Your Current Church Denomination..? / What Attracted You To Your Current Church / I Need Your Opinion On Changing My Current Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chrizzyace: 11:18am On Nov 07, 2021
Bigredmachine:

This is what am taking about ... You say am castigating the Catholic church, fine I may not have voiced my displeasure using the right grammar, as English no be my mate... But what am saying is that everyone has one or two things to say about their church being the best...

Good they have told us countless time how we pray to God through Mary to intercede for us and how its not worshiping but honour of some sort...

I can't just go on and on but there are so many things wrong with the church of today...

Maybe you should just stay at home and worship God in your own way, no need going there and deceiving yourself that you’re staying because Catholics don’t brag about their religion unlike other churches... the doctrines and teachings are what matters, if it doesn’t go well with you then leave.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Bayaar02(m): 11:19am On Nov 07, 2021
I'm a Baptist member. Na inside am dem born me. Most of us were born in the religion we're practicing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by djranking00(m): 11:20am On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

How is Mary the mother of God?

You're heretic you will never understand the Holy Trinity

Let me come down to your standard with a little logic

Since Mary is Jesus’ mother, it must be concluded that she is also the Mother of God If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and if Jesus is God, then Mary is the Mother of God. There is no way out of this logical syllogism

Although Mary is the Mother of God, she is not his mother in the sense that she is older than God or the source of her Son’s divinity, for she is neither. Rather, we say that she is the Mother of God in the sense that she carried in her womb a divine person—Jesus Christ, God “in the flesh” (2 John 7, John 1:14)—and in the sense that she contributed the genetic matter to the human form God took in Jesus Christ

8 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Bigredmachine: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2021
chrizzyace:

Maybe you should just stay at home and worship God in your own way, no need going there and deceiving yourself that you’re staying because Catholics don’t brag about their religion unlike other churches... the doctrines and teachings are what matters, if it doesn’t go well with you then leave.

I never said Catholics are bragging man, catholics don brag...
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Ayomivic(m): 11:24am On Nov 07, 2021
Bigredmachine:
I was born into my current church and not that am happy in it... I just don't ... Have a choice

If it is catholic you are talking about the that means you are attending the church but you don't grow. And as a Christian will need to grow in faith.

Which Society do you belongs to in the church because if you are not in any society how will you asked about what you don't understand about the church?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by FirmTR(m): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2021
wunmi590:

Uncle, you are not a catholic, stop saying what you don't know just because you don't like it from the onset....

My family wasn't born a catholic, I moved them there, we were born Methodist, and a friend introduced me to catholic in 1998 and since I joined, my mum, dad and my sisters also moved in with me...

I married in catholic....

If you don't like the church, move out and stop spreading hate

Oga, abeg show me the hate for wetin he write.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Ayomivic(m): 11:30am On Nov 07, 2021
Bigredmachine:

I was born into a Catholic church, and over the years I have seen so many things I don't like about Catholics e.g the worshiping and bowing down to images, which the Bible clearly kicks against... So many other things they do that I begin to doubt if Catholic is a real church...

They will tell us how Catholic was the true and only church founded and approved by Lord Jesus Christ by himself and every other church broke out from Catholic church...

Talking about switching... I have also seen how other churches now rival themselves as being better than the other... You see deeper life members bragging they worship God more than living faith or redeemed... So many competition here and there which I don't like...

Its all these things that has just made me stay put in Catholic and not really because I like their style but going to another church won't even change anything...

Its not about the church u go to, its about the individual person way of live, I can learn the teachings of any church if I feel they are saying the right things and not brag of how this church is better than that one

The truth be say church matter dey tire me and I see all the church out there as business centre

Bro , before you condemned catholic. Have you approach your priest to ask questions on what you don't understand about Catholic?

Have you asked questions about catholic from someone that knows than you in the church? If you have not. You are still an ignorant like me before I asked questions.

God did not say we should not make image of things in the bible . You and your pastor gave the passage wrong interpretation.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

You don't know where I have been!
Keep shut.

I will take u as children of the Jew that told Moses to keep shut when he want to liberate them.

Mr unbaptised publisher or what do you guys call urself, tell them at home so they can join hand with u and pray for u, so ur eyes can open.

In case u have any questions bothering you about ur new fireplace let me know.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Bigredmachine: 11:36am On Nov 07, 2021
Ayomivic:

Bro , before you condemned catholic. Have you approach your priest to ask questions on what you don't understand about Catholic?

Have you asked questions about catholic from someone that knows than you in the church? If you have not. You are still an ignorant like me before I asked questions.

God did not say we should not make image of things in the bible . You and your pastor gave the passage wrong interpretation.

Am not condemning catholic... And I don't have another church I attend neither do I have a pastor... Maybe am far from church or I am not ready to learn about the Catholic church...

Not that I believe or accept the conclusion of those who say Catholics bow down to images and are weak in praying... Just that me as a person, I just don't think u must go to church before u do what's right... Cos we have churches scattered all over yet evil still strives in our everyday lives... Maybe am not ready to hear the truth or maybe somebody needs to tell me what I don't yet know...

But for now, I will say am a Catholic cos am born into it and no one can convince me to join another church...

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 11:38am On Nov 07, 2021
Sirjendon:

I will take u as children of the Jew that told Moses to keep shut when he want to liberate them.

Mr unbaptised publisher or what do you guys call urself, tell them at home so they can join hand with u and pray for u, so ur eyes can open.

In case u have any questions bothering you about ur new fireplace let me know.

With due respect, get lost.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 11:50am On Nov 07, 2021
djranking00:

You're heretic you will never understand the Holy Trinity

Let me come down to your standard with a little logic

Since Mary is Jesus’ mother, it must be concluded that she is also the Mother of God If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and if Jesus is God, then Mary is the Mother of God. There is no way out of this logical syllogism

Although Mary is the Mother of God, she is not his mother in the sense that she is older than God or the source of her Son’s divinity, for she is neither. Rather, we say that she is the Mother of God in the sense that she carried in her womb a divine person—Jesus Christ, God “in the flesh” (2 John 7, John 1:14)—and in the sense that she contributed the genetic matter to the human form God took in Jesus Christ

In your mind, you understand Catholicism more than sb born into it, an avid follower, sb close to becoming a priest, and sb who decided to change. I can smell the sarcasm in your “coming down to my level.”

Let's not even remember the role of the Catholics during the war, the papacy and all that.

Look at what you posted. You identified Jesus and God differently yet say she is the mother of Jesus yet the mother of God. Does it sound reasonable to you or are you trying to defend what is not there? Don't you know Jesus was created and God wasn't?

All your confusion arose because you don't know God has his own name.

What are the uses of graven images in a so-called house of God? Isn't it what the Babylonians did?

The same John you quote wrote 17:3 and identified these people differently...and note, emphasis was not made to Mary as an intercessor, or as a medium to everlasting life.

There is nowhere in the bible did it urge us to beg Mary to beg God. Even Jesus, Mary's Son, while teaching us to pray said:

“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.”

He also said anything we ask in his name, God will answer.

If the Holy Trinity has three figures, why is Mary not the mother of the Holy Spirit? Why is the holy spirit less active when a connection is made to Jesus being God and vice versa?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by luizpippo(m): 11:50am On Nov 07, 2021
Aside djranking007, who made effort to give some schooling, the rest of the catholic crew were basically dragging chatinent and the OP (omicron).

They only stopped short of calling this guys names because it would paint them in bad light.

I was born into Celestial, attended Foursquare as a kid, decided to stop attending any as a school cert holder, join Christian union campus fellowship after gaining admission, then attends Christ Embassy during holidays, left after 10 years because i have fallen into a ritual of always being indebted in church, as i am paying one pledge, i am already owing another.

Finally, joined Living Faith and holding strong till i move abroad.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 12:01pm On Nov 07, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

I was a Muslim too before my conversion to JWs!
Truly JEHOVAH is rocking the nations and bringing out the desirable things:

‘And I will shake all the nations, and the precious things of all the nations will come in; and I will fill this house with glory,’ says Jehovah of armies. Haggai 2:7

I don't know who should welcome the other into the one and only big and happy family of peace loving organization! smiley

Brother!
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

With due respect, get lost.

I will take u as Joseph brother's, who wish him to get LOST but later bow before him Egypt.

JW will never give your peace of mind the answer u need to what u don't understand in Catholic is in your Bible.

But because u are lazy u went to Special Center (JW) ppu dat need help too in understanding the Bible.

Now they will make u and ur house hold enemy's.

Loose ur brain and get wisdom

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2021
Nickymichy:
I once spent about two years looking for the right church to attend...i attended a few without conviction until when I finally joined this my present church....no 100% though but, everything about the church is based on the word of God

You are not proud to mention it.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 12:05pm On Nov 07, 2021
caracas:

Oga you know nothing about the Catholic doctrine, at best you're just a passenger n a Sunday material.
No true Catholic will doubt for a second about the authenticity n authority of the Catholic church
The one true church.....
Lol.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2021
obinnaxci:
I was raised a catholic. I wanted to change church badly. I've been to all the churches and even went to mosque once on a Friday, voluntarily. I would have been a Muslim if I wanted but I can't denounce Jesus as my lord and saviour. Other churches have a lot of comma, eg. the standing and dancing for over 1 freaking hour and praying over the top of your voice is irritating. I prefer the sober life of Catholicism. JUST KNEEL for a couple of seconds, stand for a couple of minutes and viola. No stress. And when the priest says pray for your private intentions, you will never hear nor see anyone raise their voice so high in the name of prayer. Other Christian denominations pray to God like God is deaf. Smh. I still wonder why.

That's because they have a megaphone outside. They want people to hear the routine.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by chatinent: 12:08pm On Nov 07, 2021
Sirjendon:

I will take as Joseph brother's, who wish him to get LOST but later bow before him Egypt.

JW will never give your peace of mind the answer u need to what u don't understand in Catholic is in your Bible.

But because u are lazy u went to Special Center (JW) ppu dat need help too in understanding the Bible.

Now they will make u and ur house hold enemy's.

Loose ur brain and get wisdom
I hope you don't run when we begin this conversation. I hope you don't run because I am sure you do not even know the Catholic doctrines well.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Imustnottalk: 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2021
obinnaxci:
I was raised a catholic. I wanted to change church badly. I've been to all the churches and even went to mosque once on a Friday, voluntarily. I would have been a Muslim if I wanted but I can't denounce Jesus as my lord and saviour. Other churches have a lot of comma, eg. the standing and dancing for over 1 freaking hour and praying over the top of your voice is irritating. I prefer the sober life of Catholicism. JUST KNEEL for a couple of seconds, stand for a couple of minutes and viola. No stress. And when the priest says pray for your private intentions, you will never hear nor see anyone raise their voice so high in the name of prayer. Other Christian denominations pray to God like God is deaf. Smh. I still wonder why.
these are issues Christianity are facing because of this mentality we judge other doctrines because we don't believe in them or we are not into them any doctrine you accept stick to it not going from one church to another or poke nosing into other churches affair you know no peace doing that
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by BamakSNR(m): 12:13pm On Nov 07, 2021
I was born into the Baptist family.
But I started listening to Apostle Joshua Selman, Bishop Oyedepo, Pastor Sam Adeyemi and that was when my hunger for more started. I even received the holy ghost through Selman ministration. So I decides to change my church to Living Faith. And I'm very happy to worship there. It's now my church. And another reason why I prefer living faith is they pray with understanding, teach the word so deeply, and there's spirit of excellence in their churches.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Orch1981: 12:13pm On Nov 07, 2021
Myzubby:
REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD
I LOVE EVERY THING THE CHURCH
I AM A FAN OF OTHER CHURCHES AND I HAVE ATTENDED SOME OTHER CHURCHES TOO . BUT I LOVE RCCG . I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT
Because them dey help you out is that church
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by djranking00(m): 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

In your mind, you understand Catholicism more than sb born into it, an avid follower, sb close to becoming a priest, and sb who decided to change. I can smell the sarcasm in your “coming down to my level.”

Let's not even remember the role of the Catholics during the war, the papacy and all that.

Look at what you posted. You identified Jesus and God differently yet say she is the mother of Jesus yet the mother of God. Does it sound reasonable to you or are you trying to defend what is not there? Don't you know Jesus was created and God wasn't?

All your confusion arose because you don't know God has his own name.

What are the uses of graven images in a so-called house of God? Isn't it what the Babylonians did?

The same John you quote wrote 17:3 and identified these people differently...and note, emphasis was not made to Mary as an intercessor, or as a medium to everlasting life.

There is nowhere in the bible did it urge us to beg Mary to beg God. Even Jesus, Mary's Son, while teaching us to pray said:

“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.”

He also said anything we ask in his name, God will answer.

If the Holy Trinity has three figures, why is Mary not the mother of the Holy Spirit? Why is the holy spirit less active when a connection is made to Jesus being God and vice versa?

Stop your lies you didn't come close to become a Catholic priest if not you will understand what am saying you're a heretic what major seminary did you attend

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by sageb: 12:22pm On Nov 07, 2021
nedzuby:

I questioned a lot of things but I decided to find answers within so one day I stumbled on Pastor Poji Oyemade insights of living in 2006.

I was carried away with the way he answered all my questions in according to how I was able to answer them within that I forgot to get his name, time of the program and the church name. I spent 3 months searching asking who is this Pastor, what church does he pastor and what time STV should it.

I eventually stumbled on him again, this time I searched online for him and his church. I found the church website and downloaded a lot of his messages I just couldn’t get enough. In fact I started going to the office early to watch the 6:30am preaching on STV and it was not until 2008 that I attended my first service at the Victoria Island center.

Even if I don’t attend the physical church I either watch it on YouTube or listened to the audio service in Mixlr. Though I have been outside Lagos for over 10 months now I still listen to him and I was so glad to see on Facebook that Covenant Christian Center is coming to Port Harcourt that I have to register.

My reason for joining Covenant Is because Pastor Poju Oyemade preaches Practical sermon and his humility is out of this world.

Where is the church located in port Harcourt?
Post the address
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by kelmicheal: 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2021
You can make your choices its very simple.

Each churches in Nigeria has their own uniqueness and what they do best.

Eg

Heavenly bound church
Prosperity church
Sin and pray church
Charity church
Kill your enemies church
Praise and Worship church.

Just make your choice
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by brainhgeek(m): 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2021
Omicron007:

Seconded.

You took those words from my mouth.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by brainhgeek(m): 12:42pm On Nov 07, 2021
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Pejah97: 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

I was born a Catholic. I remember asking a Reverend Father what “bowing down to graven images as a sin” meant. He was biting his words cos he suspected the Jesus statue would be questioned.

Due to my inquisition, I had to dig deeper. Why venerate Mary? What is really her role? What's the role of the rosaries using the Bible? Can Jesus be God and still pray to God? What are the use of those Holy Sacrament and Hail Mary incantations? Where is Father Christmas in the Bible? Is Mary the mother of God? Very many questions...

I gave up.

I am now one of the JW.
if your on Facebook try and follow Father Kelvin Ugwu. Then u will know much about the holy mother church
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by brainhgeek(m): 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2021
chatinent:

You always have a choice.

You are only afraid of what people will say...not even what you think is right.

It's Catholic.

I am not a prophet.

You took those words from my mouth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Polynek(m): 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2021
Born in Catholic and still a Catholic.
With my level of exposure I don't see myself charging church WTF undecided does changing church solve ur life problems?
Christianity don cast since nal even my own church still get dea own problem

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2021
Bigredmachine:

I was born into a Catholic church, and over the years I have seen so many things I don't like about Catholics e.g the worshiping and bowing down to images, which the Bible clearly kicks against... So many other things they do that I begin to doubt if Catholic is a real church...

They will tell us how Catholic was the true and only church founded and approved by Lord Jesus Christ by himself and every other church broke out from Catholic church...

Talking about switching... I have also seen how other churches now rival themselves as being better than the other... You see deeper life members bragging they worship God more than living faith or redeemed... So many competition here and there which I don't like...

Its all these things that has just made me stay put in Catholic and not really because I like their style but going to another church won't even change anything...

Its not about the church u go to, its about the individual person way of live, I can learn the teachings of any church if I feel they are saying the right things and not brag of how this church is better than that one

The truth be say church matter dey tire me and I see all the church out there as business centre

Lol once you begin to reason like Martin & the Kings, you will surely see a thousand and one reasons to poke what doesn't and is never an issue but only need your understanding alongside with a proper understanding of history.
Catholic said the Holy book is Sacred and only a concentrated priest can handle it, Martins & King James said never & started its translation despite heavy attack from the church. But today what do we have, different interpretation of the same bible ,by people who aren't a master of history divine impartation. The holy Bible is been abused in a torn manner . Been handled like a common book.. You can never say such of th Quran. The church have tried in preserving the Christianity you hold so dear. The included q pictorials illustrations of our various forerunners to remind us and make us conscious we aren't alone on this journey.

I has a switch from pentecostal to Catholism,why because I took my time to study what and what is the Catholic Church. I never asked anyone to explain or show me why this and that..A popular pentecostal preacher once said he got salvation from the Catholic Church. How did it happen whereby he wasn't even a Catholic. It was simple, the spirit ministered to him to enter a Catholic Church and just on seeing the crucifix on the alter alot of things went through his mind and he was save,Apt Selman happens to be this person.
Catholic Church is bigger and deeper than you think, they are solidly rooted in the word.
You placed a hinge on Status, if you clearly listen to their wordings no one In the Holy church have ever asked angels or saints to forgive them their sins. Or better still grant them their request. So if you aren't patient enough to know the ancient wordings you might just jump into conclusion.
You talked about paying adoring Mary , if you are so inquisitive in knowing why , you should have laid your hands on ancient journals and why it became a tradition of which was not so before. Read about our lady first appearance and her given instructions. Of course you know the Church won't just buy and accept any thing of such without concrete evidence and over time study. Note Catholic Church are never in a heist to attract you with miracles ,so their is no need to lie about the the Lord answering prayers through Mary the mother of Jesus.
The church adherence to the ancient scripture made it survive for over 2000yrs despite human imperfections. Unlike pastors who kit up in suits, which is never recorded in the bible, the vest of a Priest, its alters Dimensions are all recorded in the bible, and the exact way to concentrate it is all written down in Exodus.
Let's don't say a lie Only does who just want to jump into the Morden Form of Christianity will open their mouth to Castigate the Holy Church. No church on earth have any right to Talk about the Holy Church until they can survive for 100yrs.
If you talked about praying through saints, I will give u a simple scriptural instance, was God not knowing what he was doing when he asked Moses to make a statue of a serpent and any who looks on it will definitely live. Now let me tell you just what went through the mind of those looking at the status serpent ' ooo Lord heal me as I look on to you through this status' this happen a thousand yrs before the Holy church was formed. Still yet the holy church never thought about the possibility of having a stature until when revelation and appearance of Mary began.
Pardon all typo errors..Using a phone typing isn't my thing

6 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by tete7000(m): 12:51pm On Nov 07, 2021
Because it is there you find the fullness of truth.
Team Catholic all the way. The church is holy, universal and apostolic...Three cardinal corner point upon which a church ought to stand. Others are free to debate it, it is their choice, the choice they made within the limit of their ignorance.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Church? by nedzuby: 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2021
sageb:

Where is the church located in port Harcourt?
Post the address

Don’t have the address yet. But saw on Pastor Piju page on FB that their would be a meeting on the 13th of November 2021 and first service will hold on the 21 of November 2021

In case you want to be part of the volunteers here is link to register https://www.insightsforliving.org/portharcourt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jesus Ask His Disciple, What Did People Say That I Am / How I Realized Jesus Is A Fraud / When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.