Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,122 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video (55505 Views)

Femi Osibona Arrested In 2020 For Resisting Sealing Ikoyi Building (Throwback / Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building / Femi Osibona: Face Behind Collapsed 21-storey Building In Ikoyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:36am On Nov 05, 2021
UnimkeAk:

"When I first came to Nigeria, I believed in consultants so much. If an architect tells me something, I will do whatever he tells me to do.... I later realized that some people they only Know book, they do not understand the practical aspect of the work...."
The consultant gave several warnings

I didn't really watch that part
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by richmondefosa(m): 11:37am On Nov 05, 2021
toprealman:

The system failed him. Let's show some respect to the dead regardless

My respect goes to the innocent dead who have no idea about the shady deals carried out by the developer.

I will neither respect nor show any form of sympathy or empathy for Osibona whose greed and penchant for cutting corners and ignoring professional instructions and advice.

He should rot in the deepest part of hell.

You will not tell me who i show respect to.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 05, 2021
A property developer giving interviews about his profession and keeps talking about "I dont know why", "grace of God", "i prayed to God", "God spoke to me", thats a dangerous person and it's unsurprising his building collapsed.

What I got from this interview is this man who believed too much in religion, he was lucky and his luck ran out.

1 Like

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Arabaincubus: 11:45am On Nov 05, 2021
I am heartbroken. This story has touched me completely.

How did the devil intrude into this otherwise beautiful story?

Fate! Nature and providence. May his soul and that of the others rest in peace.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Jakumo(m): 11:49am On Nov 05, 2021
perambulator:
A property developer giving interviews about his profession and keeps talking about "I dont know why", "grace of God", "i prayed to God", "God spoke to me", thats a dangerous person and it's unsurprising his building collapsed.

What I got from this interview is this man who believed too much in religion, he was lucky and his luck ran out.

Religion is often used as a smoke-screen to conceal criminality. This holier-than-though manner of speaking is extremely effective in Sub-Saharan Africa. Pastors claim the salaries of their gullible flocks to finance lavish lifestyles, all the while praising God to high heavens.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by philiancoop(m): 11:55am On Nov 05, 2021
This man had so much in mind to do in Nigeria. He said this was just 2-3% of what's to come.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 05, 2021
Jakumo:

Religion is often used as a smoke-screen to conceal criminality. This holier-than-though manner of speaking is extremely effective in Sub-Saharan Africa. Pastors claim the salaries of their gullible flocks to finance lavish lifestyles, all the while praising God to high heavens.

what is clear to me is this man was a quack!!! he was at the right place at the right time. he got into property development at a time when all properties were rising so he would have made money any which way. he also strikes me as a man who puts money first he knew the approval for 3 floors in the Uk was a mistake, he knew the impact on the environment but he still went ahead because in the Uk they are honourable people, once they make a mistake, they honour their mistake. there was a story he mentioned where he sold a property for 180k when the market price was 240k, that just shows a man who didnt even know his industry.

Like i said, this was a man who beleived in prayer only and was lucky. By his own admission, it's not today he has been cutting corners or disregarding experts.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by passthem(m): 11:59am On Nov 05, 2021
TOPCRUISE:
Sad. If at the end no one gets prosecuted for this mess then know that the government knows something that they don't want to reveal.
High rise buildings under construction have been collapsing in some parts of the world and the death toll is not as high as this.
Something is wrong with the rescue efforts.

The govt or its body knows so much in the collapsed building.
They all got bribed and unchallantly killed innocent souls who were simply
looking for daily survival and in the end,they died untimely.

It's this same govt that would create a job that's non-sustaining in term of
income and gives employees target daily, and it's from this target they are able
to pay them salary.So how then do you expect them to carry out due dilligence when
they are already bribed and the end result is DISASTROUS.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by lexy2014: 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2021
Jakumo:

Any tall structure that is erected within view of a lagoon, is susceptible to collapse due to the subterranean osmosis of water from the lagoon, into the upper strata of the soil on which buildings are constructed. In such waterfront land, building foundations are heavily reinforced with the use of "pilings", which are essentially massive pillars buried deep in the ground during the initial stage of construction.

Despite the inclusion of deep pilings to stabilize tall buildings located on reclaimed waterfront land, multi-story building collapses have been recorded worldwide, with the most recent one being the Surfside Condominium Towers in Miami Florida on Thursday, July 24th, 2021, which collapsed into itself like so many layers of pancakes, killing 98 residents of the condominiums that comprising that tower block.

Given the inherent dangers of erecting tall structures on reclaimed land near lagoons and waterways, it would be simplistic to ascribe the collapse of that building in Lagos to "substandard construction", or "explosives". Global warming is already undermining waterside construction projects globally, in a silent, insidious progression that is often invisible until walls crack and beams give way with explosive consequences.

Bros, d question is very simple and doesn't need too much grammar. Why did d building collapse?

1 Like

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Jakumo(m): 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2021
lexy2014:

Bros, d question is very simple and doesn't need too much grammar. Why did d building collapse?

So, upon how I suffer to write all dis grammar, you still no come like am? Ok make I answer ya question.

1. Na so-so wota from Lagos Lagoon, don tey when e dey take style follow underground dey weaken house when dem build put near lagoon.

2. When time come reach, ground when be san-sand before, come turn to potto-potto under dat house. Na him be say wota don pass garri.

3. Na from there di house come dey weak, sotay one day when Sango fess come make Thunder halla Gbosaaaaa, na so di house follow collapse Gbaragadaaa Gbiiiiiiii ! In short, Na Sango vess cause am.

Got breast Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Sunkyapogee(m): 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2021
Blood money.
What do you expect?
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Hallabee1(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2021
achymmania:
as in

Aje...ok
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Hotzone(m): 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2021
China just abolished high rise building but Nigeria is thinking about encouraging high rise so here, whoever is in charge of capital development should be held responsible

RIP to the dead
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Lightorder: 1:04pm On Nov 05, 2021
Preciousppearl:
very wicked and heartless set of people. Best is buying materials yourself, I had to sacrifice time for that yet I think that's what triggered their wickedness, I caught the engineer stealing materials that was when I showed him the madness in me, turns out the security was in on it too. I arrested n changed them immediately.
that is! They packed some of my cement somewhere and told me that it has finished, until a friend of my who came to visit drew my attention to it. I returned to the site only to discover that he had left the job to his unskilled foreman to supervise. It ended up in a mess. Before I said jack, “ maṣe binu Team “ was already on ground , reminding me to be a good Christian and forgive
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2021
perambulator:
He comes across like a guy who was successful without really knowing why (he happened to be in the right place at the right time) and began to disregard the rules of his industry...ultimately paying the price.

Sums it up
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by toprealman: 2:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
richmondefosa:

My respect goes to the innocent dead who have no idea about the shady deals carried out by the developer.

I will neither respect nor show any form of sympathy or empathy for Osibona whose greed and penchant for cutting corners and ignoring professional instructions and advice.

He should rot in the deepest part of hell.

You will not tell me who i show respect to.
Breathe bro....
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by janga02(m): 2:33pm On Nov 05, 2021
michlins:
[quote author=mrfortunate1 post=107345078]
The vice president is the owner of the building. Are u ok now, isn't that what u want to hear? If not madness that is worrying you, it was clearly stated in the post that the man ( Femi Osibona) is the owner but your hateful and bigotry mind is still looking for some imaginary owner. the reason the owner needs to be made available is for him to answer to his manslaughter charges.

This collapse is as a result of recklessness and use of cheap materials below standards. But most of you don't want to hear it. You don't want the name of your favorites to be mentioned.

One thing I know about the Nigeria masses is that once their own person or someone they like is benefiting from irregularities and corruptions,they will fight tooth and nail to protect him or her.

With news about the building going past the recommended heights, there's no way the owner won't be aware of such infractions

Learn how to conduct yourself in public space, you don't need insult people before you pass meaningful statement if you don't know.

With that being said, Do you have a valid evidence to backup your statements here or its based on hear say?

I will advise you to be careful, because it may be a faceless forum but you can be trace to face the consequence of your unguarded utterances.

Have a nice day.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2021
onelovenigeria:

i get your sentiment ....but it still am assumption that the extra 6 floor might have been the cause of the collapse ...let wait for the conclusion when investigation is done....nothing can be rule out if not thing been equal...Nigeria of 2021 is not nigeria of 1999 ....so explosive can do such damage as well.....

Let's wait . . . but red flags from this interview were too conspicuous to ignore.

1. He has a rather convenient history of 'mistaken approvals' to add more floors than what is zoned to the neighbourhoods.
2. He doesn't trust Experts with his constructions.
3. He had a 'little problem' with this disastrous construction and was let off the hook by Sanwo-Olu.
4. He supervises himself . . . even though He isn't an Engineer.

I hope you can see the anyhowness of Nigerians showing here.

2 Likes

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 05, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

15 stories was approved for a building. The developer went on to build 21 stories instead. You still think it’s more likely the collapse was caused by explosives than overloading.

What is wrong with us Nigerians?

A lot of us are 'Functional Illiterates' - we can read and write but are incapable of complex thought processes.

1 Like

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by onelovenigeria(m): 2:53pm On Nov 05, 2021
Bagehot:

Let's wait . . . but red flags from this interview were too conspicuous to ignore.

1. He has a rather convenient history of 'mistaken approvals' to add more floors than what is zoned to the neighbourhoods.
2. He doesn't trust Experts with his constructions.
3. He had a 'little problem' with this disastrous construction and was let off the hook by Sanwo-Olu.
4. He supervises himself . . . even though He isn't an Engineer.

I hope you can see the anyhowness of Nigerians showing here.

i got your point ...
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by michlins(m): 3:05pm On Nov 05, 2021
[quote author=janga02 post=107354761][/quote] Sir, you can't point at any point where I insulted you or anyone. Irrespective of that,if you feel insulted by my statements, I'm sorry.

That being said, people will be punished for this type of recklessness to avoid a repeat. Let the government ensure that everyone involved is punished with no one spared.

Have a good day
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by bilulu(m): 3:21pm On Nov 05, 2021
RichDad1:
The man is dead now, can we allow him rest ?
he will not rest, do you know how many families he just wasted because of greed? maybe he not rest in peace
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by TheOgaBoss: 3:38pm On Nov 05, 2021
Arabaincubus:
I am heartbroken. This story has touched me completely.

How did the devil intrude into this otherwise beautiful story?

Fate! Nature and providence. May his soul and that of the others rest in peace.
believing in God does not make you cut corners or disregard professional opinion, because you should know the consequences of your action.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by zinaunreal(m): 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2021
The architecture of these buildings is damn dangerous. If it collapses, its is flat. No space for life
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Brushless: 4:38pm On Nov 05, 2021
BigDawsNet:
sad Hav you thought about Explosive attached around the building Piller

Nothing is impossible
Infact, I thought much about all this our demonic contractors who will always try to behave as if they are God. They have been perpetrating a lot of evils in many places; at the end of which the developer will always be blamed. This so called local contractors needs to be questioned more for such incidence as this and also shoullder as much blame as the developer.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by wirinet(m): 4:45pm On Nov 05, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

You think selling Italian clothes an shoes is a small business. If you’re smart about it, you can be making up to $1,000 commission on each Piece.
He was making £1000 commission on each suit and he could not afford an actual office? He was operating the whole 6 years from a mobile office ( meaning his car). so how much was the actual cost of the Italian suits? And was he the only one selling shoes and suits in London?

It's obvious he was involved in some sort of money laundering business.

1 Like

Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by wirinet(m): 4:51pm On Nov 05, 2021
Brushless:
Infact, I thought much about all this our demonic contractors who will always try to behave as if they are God. They have been perpetrating a lot of evils in many places; at the end of which the developer will always be blamed. This so called local contractors needs to be questioned more for such incidence as this and also shoullder as much blame as the developer.
You anxiously have know idea of how project management works. The contractor is only one member of the construction team. Other members are the Architect, the structural mechanical, and electrical engineers, the project manager, and a host of others. During construction of projects of such magnitude, site meetings are held every week or at worst every fortnight.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by wirinet(m): 4:56pm On Nov 05, 2021
toprealman:

The system failed him. Let's show some respect to the dead regardless
The reverse is the case. He failed the system. He felt he is more knowledgeable than the engineers and consultants. He felt bigger that officials of Lagos State Building Control Agency and other regulatory agencies who questioned the safety of the building and sealed it.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Calitoscassius(m): 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2021
This is what happens to dishonest people, now he is dead, he deserved it he probarbly thought is was invicible. Sad thing is, he took innocent people with him.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by Calitoscassius(m): 7:07pm On Nov 05, 2021
wirinet:

The reverse is the case. He failed the system. He felt he is more knowledgeable than the engineers and consultants. He felt bigger that officials of Lagos State Building Control Agency and other regulatory agencies who questioned the safety of the building and sealed it.
His own stupidity and arogance killed him, sad he took innocent people with him to the grave.
Re: TVC Interviewed Femi Osibona, Owner Of 21-Storey Ikoyi Building (Throwback Video by AnchorageHC: 1:06am On Nov 06, 2021
With total RESIGNATION to God's will I join many of our EX-MAYS '93 sets; to announce the demise of our very own brother and father - Adewale Bob Oseni. He’s a very good and jolly fellow. I'm still in great shock and trauma. My hostel-mate, right from our days in Mayflower Junior School to Mayflower Senior School. My fellow look-up to then in coordination, humility and respect. Very homely and loving! Even till now, never met him since finished high school, and will never meet you again.

Rest on Brother...

We got a distress of his body finally RECOVERED and RECOGNIZED yesterday evening from the ongoing evacuations from the IKOYI BUILDING COLLAPSE.

My sincere CONDOLENCES to his entire family; both here in Nigeria and his direct family in the USA - even to all sets of '93 Ex-mays.

May our Lord, God grant his family members the fortitude to bear this great irreparable and unimaginable loss.

Wale Bob-Oseni
May your soul REST in PEACE!!!

Mr. Femi Osibona
May your soul REST in PEACE!!!

lalasticlala:
The Managing Director/CEO of Fourscore Homes, Olufemi Osibona spoke on the challenges and prospects of the real estate sector in Nigeria amidst issues of surging rents, housing deficits, and over-regulation in a throwback video with TVC.

.... I applied for a 2-storey extension in UK, the council wanted to write 2 storey, they made a mistake. So when we started developing it some people, neighbors went to report. You know when you have a 2 storey in London, you can't do a 3 storey, 2 storey must go all the way. So they went to report me to the council, the council came, they agreed that they made a mistake, that I should not do the 3-storey, I went ahead and did the 3-storey. Then we went for a committee at the committee I won. That's how we did the 3 storey...."

Talking about not listening to experts, he said:

"When I first came to Nigeria, I believed in consultants so much. If an architect tells me something, I will do whatever he tells me to do.... I later realized that some people they only Know book, they do not understand the practical aspect of the work...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVsgzdEt9o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To Dubai. New Constructions And Update / Aftermath Of Onitsha Fuel Tanker Fire, As Traders Count Losses (Photos) / Abandoned Mansions: Estate Deserted In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.