Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,354 members, 7,829,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs (31437 Views)

Thief Caught 8 Months After He Stole Phone & Withdrew N500K From Victim Account / Someone Stole My Phone But I Got His Number From Gmail How Do I Go About It / Someone Withdrew Over 100k From My Account. I Am Depressed Right Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by egojeny1(f): 6:42pm On Nov 19, 2021
lookingfly:
keep your PUK handy when setting sim pin. Go to settings, sim settings, then set sim pin etc.
Pls how do I get/see my PUK no?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by TheOgaBoss: 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2021
Loveknitting:

OK, I'm trying to comprehend this, if they could access a passworded phone, why not a passworded Sim?
they may not have accessed the phone, but remover his sim and put in another phone.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:
Put a sim lock on your phones especially the one that receives alert. This is getting too rampant. If asked for pin, use the default pin that comes with every sim pack. For MTN it's 00000, for AIRTEL it is 1111, for 9mobile it is 0000, for GLO it is 0000. The thief will try to gain access to the sim without success and PUK number will be required, if the PUK is attempted up to 10 times, the sim is automatically blocked. Phone lock is not enough anymore
After I input 00000, will I be ask to input a new password after that?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by amstamon: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
All of una just dey yarn dust without any solution.
My Brother, forget it because your money is gone.
This Same Thing Happened To Me 2018 Dec. my money on both uba and GTB gone 900k. they even loaded 50k airtime on one number .the bank asked me to contact the police, ahine the police at ikeja area hq asking me to pay 50k for them to get a job petition from abuja before they could carry out an investigation. Na swear I swear for their papa.
I Don tweet tire, even quote efcc, icpc, CNN, npf and even nta, nothing still happened till now

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by amstamon: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
All of una just dey yarn dust without any solution.
My Brother, forget it because your money is gone.
This Same Thing Happened To Me 2018 Dec. my money on both uba and GTB gone 900k. they even loaded 50k airtime on one number .the bank asked me to contact the police, ahine the police at ikeja area hq asking me to pay 50k for them to get a job petition from abuja before they could carry out an investigation. Na swear I swear for their papa.
I Don tweet tire, even quote efcc, icpc, CNN, npf and even nta, nothing still happened till now..
Bros Forget It

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Just123: 6:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
Mcslize:

Nice one!

When sim lock is activated on a phone, will the SIM request the PUK number any time the SIM is removed from the phone and put on another or whenever the phone is switch on, it will request the PUK number.

Throw more light on this.

Anytime the SIM card is removed/put in another phone or the phone is switch off, it will request for the pin you used in locking it, but if the wrong pin is tried ten times it will enter puk which can only be open by calling the customer care and answering some personal questions that shows you're the owner of the SIM.

If you're the owner of the SIM and you don't want to call customer service and you still have the SIM package, you can check your SIM package for the numbers, if you still have it.

Conclusion
The two ways are by calling customer service or if you still have your pack, inputting the numbers you see there.

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by kinibigdeal(m): 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

They didn’t open my phone I guess they did all via USSD, I never thought this could be possible till the banker told me they would reset my password via sms. The stolen phone didn’t have my bank app on it either

Always password your simcard

1 Like

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by dobnina(f): 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
EmptyGarden:
Give the person some time abeg to clear the account. grin
Recipient might be an innocent POS operator.

-------------
What you all gangsters stressing my life have failed to address is why it took him 3 hours to act. 'cause he could have easily blocked his SIM with the next man's phone. Network would only ask a few standard questions.
You talk first before thinking.
You face will look better with your mouth shut.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Heybeedee(m): 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
Oluwa ooo......Abeg guys how them dey password mtn n airtel ooo
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by EmptyGarden(m): 6:54pm On Nov 19, 2021
dobnina:

The way girls dey rush in defense of this op tire me o... Abi na me una dey rush? grin
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Loveknitting: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2021
TheOgaBoss:
they may not have accessed the phone, but remover his sim and put in another phone.

Fair enough, thanks
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by EmptyGarden(m): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2021
dobnina:

This one you dey rush dey defend am, he already has a girlfriend o.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Geeman2006: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2021
Sorry for that Op! Thats why i have never activated USSD Mobile banking on any of my lines. It is very vulnerable if your phone gets into the wrong hands. It is either Bank app, ATM or me personally at the bank. And my account with large funds doesn't have an ATM. I Suggest you Strictly use bank apps going forward.
Reason for APP incase in wrong hands:
1. They need to first unlock your phone password.
2. They also need a password for the bank app
3. Even if they remove the sim and put in another phone, they still need to unlink the app from your Old phone requiring your set password.
4. Some phones even give you the option to hide some apps that only you can unlock with a password.
5. You also have the option of locking your sim , so when put in another phone, it requests for password.

my 2cents tho.

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by stanisbaratheon: 7:00pm On Nov 19, 2021
This is where SIM password comes handy.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by dominique(f): 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
[size=8pt][/size]
whatmoreng:

00000 to my mtn says"the number you call does not exist ". Besides, my line is very old. Cant even remember my pin or puk. I have to enable this extra sim security

Don't input the number more than once so it won't go to puk mode. You can Google default pin codes for your network. I don't think the one I gave is very accurate
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by lonelydora: 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:
Good evening all I’m gonna make this very brief plz I need help

Someone stole my phone this morning and within 3hrs i opened my bank app only to realize they’ve taken over 180k from my account with the bank description of “intrabank charges”

I called UBA immediately and still went to their branch they got my account frozen with the account where the money was transferred to because it’s also a UBA account

I’ve written the letter they asked me to write and they said they’ll get back to me within 5 working days

Now since there’s a valid recipient account where the money was transferred to is there no way I can catch the culprit with help of the police? My iPhone 11promax of barely 6months gone with money

I had to call MTN too to block my SIM

Please is it possible to get the person tracked and arrested

Modes please move to front page Lemme know my next action thanks

NB: both my account and fraudsters account where he sent the money to has been frozen by UBA because we use same bank

You are lucky. Since the account they transferred it to has been frozen. Rejoice, the phone thief will be caught. Just involve police.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by ReubenE(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Are you this stupid and daft? Like they can’t remove my sim and put on another phone? You’re really an empty garden please stop derailing my topic till brainy ones bring up an idea

Requiring my transaction password? Did you not read the part I told you they could reset my transaction pin via sms according to what the banker told me

Maybe the banker didn't give you the full information.

No one can reset your USSD pin without knowledge of your account number, date of birth or other security questions. Except they used a technology that is unknown to the general public, the thief, whoever it is will answer/give some personal security questions before resetting any of your bank passwords.

Secondly, daily transfer through USSD is 20k, any amount larger than that will require the last six digits of your card number. For them to have transferred 180k, it means they have details about you. Then, if it is your bank app, a password is required to operate it.

OP, was your phone stolen in your house or elsewhere? The story you narrated is asking many questions....

When I tried to reset my own pin.
It first requested for my account number, then date of birth, and another question.

4 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by BarrElChapo(m): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Someone stole my phone this morning and within 3hrs i opened my bank app only to realize they’ve taken over 180k from my account with the bank description of “intrabank charges”

I called UBA immediately and still went to their branch they got my account frozen with the account where the money was transferred to because it’s also a UBA account

I’ve written the letter they asked me to write and they said they’ll get back to me within 5 working days

Now since there’s a valid recipient account where the money was transferred to is there no way I can catch the culprit with help of the police? My iPhone 11promax of barely 6months gone with money

NB: both my account and fraudsters account where he sent the money to has been frozen by UBA because we use same bank

Get a lawyer cos the bank will not release either the money or the information of the other party without an order of court.

Institute a civil suit now best to say that the money was mistakenly transferred cos if you say the money was stolen, then it becomes a crime and the police bureaucracy will begin, if you recover the money through the civil suit you can use the money to proceed against the culprit in the criminal suit BUT if you have the means and patience then....

The Police (because it is a crime) will have to seek an order of court (compelling the bank) to release the information of the other party to aid their Investigation, which the court is likely to grant. Then you can proceed with tracking and arresting the person and criminal proceedings will begin against the person for the recovery of the stolen items plus punishment.

Now paragraph B should come before A if you but you'd to be patient plus Nigerian police are like a problem themselves cos every step of the way you'd be spending money. Good luck.

Cc. amstamon
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Krismas(m): 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2021
mkoabiola:

But ussd can only do daily transfer of 20k.

How come?
grin Tank u. Sabi-rity no go kill u. Many OPs on Nairaland are pure and applied LIARS
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by engrcalvin: 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2021
UBA has no right to reverse the transaction without the consent of the beneficiary . Visit a Court of law and explain details to them, they'll issue a Court Order compelling UBA to reverse the transaction. This way the reversal process can be fast tracked.
So sorry for your loss

1 Like

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by joshuaidibia(m): 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

UBA is the best bank with customer service. If you message them on social media they will call you ASAP. Look how they froze your account and the recipient Acc sharply. If na that bank with big elephant, na another story you for dey. They can track it, you just have to spend a little
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by AutoChick4U(f): 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
jericco1:
Same thing happened to me in 2019..
My brother those bastards emptied my account.

And I bought the phone less than a month. Omo I no even bother tracking sef. Because I blamed myself entirely.

Anyway when you retrieve your line, try putting your SIM on lock.

That's what I did subsequently.

You can track the phone and if the person is not smart, you can catch the person otherwise oyo
how can I put my Sim on lock
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Way4orward: 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2021
Nigars at it again. I have been using sim lock since.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by fof1: 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Step 1 of ur Problems is Solved.
Step 2. Lodge a Criminal Complaint with d Details of actions taken with d Police.
Step 3. The Bank will assist d Police to complete the Recovery of ur Phone..
And Prosecute ur Attackers

1 Like

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Charly500(m): 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2021
olola4:
Never activate an ATM card or activate USSD for the Bank Account where you have huge funds

What happened to ops can happen to anyone, that is why you should only have the money you can loose in the bank account associated with your ATM and USSD

You just nailed it, i only push little money to
accounts associated with ATM and USSD when am urgently in need of cash. so usually have little or nothing left in such accounts.

I was robbed in Uyo back in September while on relieve duty, this same technique worked for me, had to just block the account by calling my bank, as i had nothing in that account when the atm was stolen.

To be honest we all have to wise up, since most of these guys are upgrading thier techniques everysec on how to rob people of their hard earned money.

1 Like

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by smasher1(m): 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

It's likely an insider fraud/thief. If you have not done ussd, the thief would require your atm card number, atm pin and account number. If he wants to reset your ussd pin he would require your account number, atm pin etc.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Frankiss44(m): 7:27pm On Nov 19, 2021
Loveknitting:

OK, I'm trying to comprehend this, if they could access a passworded phone, why not a passworded Sim?

They don't access the phone, they just put the Sim on another phone and that's it..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by mkoabiola: 7:27pm On Nov 19, 2021
Krismas:
grin Tank u. Sabi-rity no go kill u. Many OPs on Nairaland are pure and applied LIARS
I shock when he say USSD transfer such amount

I had to call my banker again to confirm.
He said it jus 20k daily..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by egojeny1(f): 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by agabusta: 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:
Put a sim lock on your phones especially the one that receives alert. This is getting too rampant. If asked for pin, use the default pin that comes with every sim pack. For MTN it's 00000, for AIRTEL it is 1111, for 9mobile it is 0000, for GLO it is 0000. The thief will try to gain access to the sim without success and PUK number will be required, if the PUK is attempted up to 10 times, the sim is automatically blocked. Phone lock is not enough anymore

Please create a thread on this and encourage the MODs to push it to the front page. I would have done same with this your comment, but its better from the original owner/author of the comment.

A good title for the thread is already in your statement: Secure you sim card with sim PIN, Phone lock is not Enough Anymore

Following your sound advice, I have created a sim PIN right away.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by egojeny1(f): 7:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
olola4:
Never activate an ATM card or activate USSD for the Bank Account where you have huge funds

What happened to ops can happen to anyone, that is why you should only have the money you can loose in the bank account associated with your ATM and USSD
He who have ears let him hear.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by jericco1(m): 7:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
AutoChick4U:
how can I put my Sim on lock

I did mine with a small phone but I don't know it is done with smartphones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Husband Arrested After Beating His Wife In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / How 7 Men Tied & Raped Me Inside Gutter - Woman Tells Court / Man Rapes, Forces Daughter Into Marriage In Lagos (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.