Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,255 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs (31399 Views)

Thief Caught 8 Months After He Stole Phone & Withdrew N500K From Victim Account / Someone Stole My Phone But I Got His Number From Gmail How Do I Go About It / Someone Withdrew Over 100k From My Account. I Am Depressed Right Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by dapadawee: 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2021
EmptyGarden:
Give the person some time abeg to clear the account. grin
Recipient might be an innocent POS operator.
Hmmmmm
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Didi2d(m): 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
My question is, if the destination account is an pos/paga operator nko. What's going to happen
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by SenecaTheYonger: 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
EmptyGarden:

Your hard earned money and you had to wait for 3 hours to do the needful? Moreover, shouldn't your bank app or phone be password-protected? I use thumb print on mine for instance.... So the question is, how did they do it? Well, password or not, the first thing I'd do is block my SIM and that shouldn't take 3 hours.
C’mon close your mouth. Oponu
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by EmptyGarden(m): 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
toujurs:
Mr man, i see no reason why anyone would open a thread to complain how his phone falsely got stolen, Mind how you doubt people complaints. So you don't end up in a worst situation while people laugh at you. This forum seem to be for the locals.
Speaking frankly, this post should be in "Jokes".

1 Like

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Ofuks(m): 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
Dear OP,

Yes, the culprit is already in trouble.
You are very fortunate that the beneficiary account is in thesame bank.
The beneficiary account has been flagged/blocked already, and as soon as the account holder walks into any branch to complain, he/she would be detained.

However, I am very curious that your online APP was easily accessible to the thief, given that online banking apps require atleast a username, a password and a transaction pin or token....
Maybe the thief is even closer than you think....
Follow up on your bank for recovery....Goodluck.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by techWriter3: 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
Always Allow SIM secure.Very very important
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by EmptyGarden(m): 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

C’mon close your mouth. Oponu
I'm glag people like you are finding reasons to comment, must be a stepup.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Didi2d(m): 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
Ofuks:
Dear OP,

Yes, the culprit is already in trouble.
You are very fortunate that the beneficiary account is in thesame bank.
The beneficiary account has been flagged/blocked already, and as soon as the account holder walks into any branch to complain, he/she would be detained.

However, I am very curious that your online APP was easily accessible to the thief, given that online banking apps require atleast a username, a password and a transaction pin or token....
Maybe the thief is even closer than you think....
Follow up on your bank for recovery....Goodluck.

What if the beneficiary account is an pos/paga operator?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by hardon1(m): 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2021
jaeyking:

This is the comment I have been looking for
Times I ave always told my friends always have 2 account.
One for spending and the other for savings.
Your savings account should never have an ATM or be ussd active.
That's the little way u can be safe

Poster is not telling the whole story... Y phone doesn't have app and I only use ussd for transfers. My password is not saved anywhere else except in my head. And to the best of my knowledge password cannot be reset without knowledge of the previous one. How did they steal his money then

The only thin ussd do on my phone without password requirement is when am buying airtime for my line

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Olayetan(m): 6:20pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Are you this stupid and daft? Like they can’t remove my sim and put on another phone? You’re really an empty garden please stop derailing my topic till brainy ones bring up an idea

Requiring my transaction password? Did you not read the part I told you they could reset my transaction pin via sms according to what the banker told me

Its possible they can reset your pin but they will still need to provide a certain info about you before the reset can be successful.

An info like your date of birth to be sure nobody is trying to access your account or UBA doesn't ask any personal info when requesting for a pin reset?

3 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by babadee1(m): 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2021
gassbee:
how do u freeze ur account without ur phone

Get the number of your account manager or someone working at your bank. Write down the number somewhere safe. Once you notice your phone is stolen get the number and call the person immediately to help you freeze your account. Hope this helps.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by boom99(m): 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2021
God protect my account abeg. I no wan faint

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by OgundeleT(m): 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:
Good evening all I’m gonna make this very brief plz I need help

Someone stole my phone this morning and within 3hrs i opened my bank app only to realize they’ve taken over 180k from my account with the bank description of “intrabank charges”

I called UBA immediately and still went to their branch they got my account frozen with the account where the money was transferred to because it’s also a UBA account

I’ve written the letter they asked me to write and they said they’ll get back to me within 5 working days

Now since there’s a valid recipient account where the money was transferred to is there no way I can catch the culprit with help of the police? My iPhone 11promax of barely 6months gone with money

I had to call MTN too to block my SIM

Please is it possible to get the person tracked and arrested

Modes please move to front page Lemme know my next action thanks

NB: both my account and fraudsters account where he sent the money to has been frozen by UBA because we use same bank
The perpetrator is someone close to you.
The person already know your password because the pin of USSD for UBA can not be reset without the last 4 digit number of the PAN on your card or Token. But, the maximum USSD transfer on UBA is 100k so how is the person able to make it 180k

6 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Nnannapat(m): 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2021
Sim lock is simply the answer to all these, once your sim is PIN protected, and there is a PIN, password or fingerprint lock on the phone, there is nothing that can be done to access your sim, except you shared your sim PIN with a loved one.

When the criminals steals your phone and realised that it is locked, they will remove the sim, thereby activating sim lock automatically, they will now insert the sim on their operational phone, and the sim will request for PIN which they don't have. So their efforts to get the sim active can only block the sim, so in that case no access to the sim. Case closed

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by SafetyPlug(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:
Put a sim lock on your phones especially the one that receives alert. This is getting too rampant. If asked for pin, use the default pin that comes with every sim pack. For MTN it's 00000, for AIRTEL it is 1111, for 9mobile it is 0000, for GLO it is 0000. The thief will try to gain access to the sim without success and PUK number will be required, if the PUK is attempted up to 10 times, the sim is automatically blocked. Phone lock is not enough anymore

I saw a recommendation like yours weeks ago when someone posted about being robbed. I jejely did the SIM lock thingy, local man no won hear story cheesy. People will still read this your post now and pass, thinking "It can't happen to me" undecided.

2 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by SenecaTheYonger: 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:
Put a sim lock on your phones especially the one that receives alert. This is getting too rampant. If asked for pin, use the default pin that comes with every sim pack. For MTN it's 00000, for AIRTEL it is 1111, for 9mobile it is 0000, for GLO it is 0000. The thief will try to gain access to the sim without success and PUK number will be required, if the PUK is attempted up to 10 times, the sim is automatically blocked. Phone lock is not enough anymore

1 attempt remaining. I never add sim lock before

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Wealthoptulent(m): 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Someone stole my phone this morning and within 3hrs i opened my bank app only to realize they’ve taken over 180k from my account with the bank description of “intrabank charges”

I called UBA immediately and still went to their branch they got my account frozen with the account where the money was transferred to because it’s also a UBA account

I’ve written the letter they asked me to write and they said they’ll get back to me within 5 working days

Now since there’s a valid recipient account where the money was transferred to is there no way I can catch the culprit with help of the police? My iPhone 11promax of barely 6months gone with money

NB: both my account and fraudsters account where he sent the money to has been frozen by UBA because we use same bank

But ur name is EMPTYGARDEN, yet u not empty n already CRYING here. Ile la wo Kato somo loruko
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Mcslize: 6:28pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:
[b]Put a sim lock on your phones [/b]especially the one that receives alert. This is getting too rampant. If asked for pin, use the default pin that comes with every sim pack. For MTN it's 00000, for AIRTEL it is 1111, for 9mobile it is 0000, for GLO it is 0000. The thief will try to gain access to the sim without success and PUK number will be required, if the PUK is attempted up to 10 times, the sim is automatically blocked. Phone lock is not enough anymore

Nice one!

When sim lock is activated on a phone, will the SIM request the PUK number any time the SIM is removed from the phone and put on another or whenever the phone is switch on, it will request the PUK number.

Throw more light on this.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by wallrichy: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
You have done the right thing by quickly informing the bank, ocking both accounts and blocking your SIM. Quickly make a report to a nearest police station to the your bank branch. Police will liaise with your bank and collect the detail of where that money was transferred to. I think you will get to the end of this case with the help of police and the cooperation of your bank....police will certainly billed you for your information. Good luck....

taylor89:

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by femi4: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

You could have blocked your sim in 3mins but you waited for 3hrs when it's too late to salvage the situation
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Leverage2021: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Bros where did this happen?

I heard a case like this today
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by wallrichy: 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
You have done the right thing by quickly informing the bank and blocking both accounts and blocking your SIM. Quickly make a report to a nearest police station to the your bank branch. Police will liaise with your bank and collect the detail of where that money was transferred to. I think you will get to the end of this case with the help of police and the cooperation of your bank....police will certainly billed you for your information. Good luck....

taylor89:

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by TheOgaBoss: 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

Are you this stupid and daft? Like they can’t remove my sim and put on another phone? You’re really an empty garden please stop derailing my topic till brainy ones bring up an idea

Requiring my transaction password? Did you not read the part I told you they could reset my transaction pin via sms according to what the banker told me
this is why everyone should put a pin on their sim cards.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Champneys: 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

And so?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by barbiedunicorn(f): 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2021
dominique:

[color=#006600][/color]for someone that has misplaced his or her sim pack,how can one get the PUK number?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Ojarira: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2021
I am trying to put pin on my Etisalat SIM now for the 1st time, I used the default pin (0000) it's giving me 2 attempt left. As it's wrong pin

What should I do?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by xarm(m): 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2021
With just 25 to 30k I know who can track the phone for you.

If they sell the phone in parts that one hard o, na d person wey buy panel you go catch
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Loveknitting: 6:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
lookingfly:
they can use your sim to o withdraw cash from your account. That's why i set pin on my sim. If you off my phone or insert the sim in another phone, there will be a sim pin prompt which if you don't have.....na bad market for the thief.

OK, I'm trying to comprehend this, if they could access a passworded phone, why not a passworded Sim?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by Teenaira: 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2021
tillaman:
Sorry about your ordeal OP the culprit will surely walk Into the bank to make a complain so once the customer care rep sees what’s up they’ll alert the police so the thing is you just need to keep up with your bank provider

Sad thing is the iPhone they will sell the iPhone in parts I hope you catch that bastarddd

I think the banks created this problem for their customers and it is indeed a big one. The same thing happened to me and the culprit was able to gain access to 3 of my banks. But the one that pained me most is Access bank. The guy was able to even take loan from my account. The guy is an Access bank customer so I felt it will be easy for them to get him so that he could be dealt with appropriately. The reason being that he will have a referee and the referee will also have one and so if we can't get him easily we could get him through the referees. But ALAS, the bank is only interested in telling me to fund my account so that they could be deducting the loan which they know I never took. I tried severally and even involved the police self but what I realised is that there is no strong will by any of the parties to fish out the culprit, besides I have to spend lots of money and 'WAHALA' to get him, so I just abandoned the search but I have all details till date.
The solution is very simple. Make sure you setup ussd on the sim with which you get alerts, so that a password is already on the ussd platform. The guy will need to get the ussd password before he can gain access to your account. However, if you didn't setup ussd and one miscreant gets access to your sim, bye bye to your money and be prepared to pay loans too !!!.
My mistake is that I only use banking app, so I had the believe that since I didn't subscribe to ussd it will not be active on my account. I was wrong. Infact, all account holders have ussd active on their account automatically with a default password. Meaning if anybody with wrong intention gets your sim, then you have given the person an open cheque except it has been setup already by you with a password.
Sorry for the loss. I hope you will be strong enough to pursue the case.

3 Likes

Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by osmosis4sure: 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2021
NOTE : NEXT TIME PASSWORD UR SIM CARD USING UR OLD PUK NUMBER TO DO.... IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LOCK UR SIM

EmptyGarden:

Your hard earned money and you had to wait for 3 hours to do the needful? Moreover, shouldn't your bank app or phone be password-protected? I use thumb print on mine for instance.... So the question is, how did they do it? Well, password or not, the first thing I'd do is block my SIM and that shouldn't take 3 hours.
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by TheOgaBoss: 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2021
hardon1:

Poster is not telling the whole story... Y phone doesn't have app and I only use ussd for transfers. My password is not saved anywhere else except in my head. And to the best of my knowledge password cannot be reset without knowledge of the previous one. How did they steal his money then

The only thin ussd do on my phone without password requirement is when am buying airtime for my line
first bank?
Re: Someone Stole My Phone And Withdrew Over N180k From My Account Within 3hrs by depure(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
taylor89:

yea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Watch Split Face Diving Video Full Face Split Diving Accident Video Trending / This Little Boy Is Stranded After His "Master" Threw Him Out In Lagos / We Give 'Area Mama' N5000 After Each Operation — Notorious Armed Robber Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.