Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (149282 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 1:24am On Jun 27, 2011
Who builds your home?

Do not make the largest purchase of your life, without doing your homework. If you are ready to build your dream home, you must invest the time, to learn more about the Builders in your area.

Award-winning piece by Brabus on blog.com
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by caseymoney(m): 4:50am On Jun 27, 2011
Building houses back home for some of us abroad might be a nightmare because we are not SMART enough. I have been able to build my house and also assisted a friend without stepping naija. Here's my strategies, I have friends, family and a Building Pro. I'm always a step ahead of these guys and even get things done much easier than people back home. I use divide and rule to get the best out of these people with internet, mobile phone and all other technologies in place. I think it's silly for one to invest several millions on a project and has nothing to show for it. This was how I started my project. I use a friend I trusted and knew he's comfortable and God fearing and not the ones that ask you for a dollar to eat. I wired money to my friend for exchange or do a wire from my account in the US to my Nigeria account. I tell my friend to scrutinize the builder for any excesses and my younger ones back home are also there to give me the progress report. I sent them phones, laptop and cameras before engaging them in such project. They thought it was a gift but It wasn't just a gift to me but an instrument to monitor all my project back home. They use the camera to capture work done and the laptop to attach captured photos to my ftp sites. I also have an Uncle I trust who left the US for Nigeria. I call him for help If I need to know the cost of building materials in Lagos. I also have my loving Mom who does the job with her phone without moving an inch. You don't have to entrust your money to just one person. However, some contractors in Nigeria are thieves. They take their profit from a project capital before the commencement of the project or use your money for a project they have abandoned due to misappropriation. They live beyond their means and tend to use peters money to complete Paul's project. In short, for those of you abroad like me willing to invest in the property business back home, get a good building contractor for your project and have somebody on ground to checkmate him because 80% of them are not reliable. You may go for young and growing contractors like Brabus and the likes who has a future and a career to pursue in the building industry and not those Big thieves that would use your hard earned money to chase married woman and drink guilder.  That's my own piece of advice.

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:32am On Jun 27, 2011
caseymoney:

Building houses back home for some of us abroad might be a nightmare because we are not SMART enough. I have been able to build my house and also assisted a friend without stepping naija. Here's my strategies, I have friends, family and a Building Pro. I'm always a step ahead of these guys and even get things done much easier than people back home. I use divide and rule to get the best out of these people with internet, mobile phone and all other technologies in place. I think it's silly for one to invest several millions on a project and has nothing to show for it. This was how I started my project. I use a friend I trusted and knew he's comfortable and God fearing and not the ones that ask you for a dollar to eat. I wired money to my friend for exchange or do a wire from my account in the US to my Nigeria account. I tell my friend to scrutinize the builder for any excesses and my younger ones back home are also there to give me the progress report. I sent them phones, laptop and cameras before engaging them in such project. They thought it was a gift but It wasn't just a gift to me but an instrument to monitor all my project back home. They use the camera to capture work done and the laptop to attach captured photos to my ftp sites. I also have an Uncle I trust who left the US for Nigeria. I call him for help If I need to know the cost of building materials in Lagos. I also have my loving Mom who does the job with her phone without moving an inch. You don't have to entrust your money to just one person. However, some contractors in Nigeria are thieves. They take their profit from a project capital before the commencement of the project or use your money for a project they have abandoned due to misappropriation. They live beyond their means and tend to use peters money to complete Paul's project. In short, for those of you abroad like me willing to invest in the property business back home, get a good building contractor for your project and have somebody on ground to checkmate him because 80% of them are not reliable. You may go for young and growing contractors like Brabus and the likes who has a future and a career to pursue in the building industry and not those Big thieves that would use your hard earned money to chase married woman and drink guilder.  That's my own piece of advice.

@caseymoney, you are so wise, thanks for this write up.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 8:21am On Jun 27, 2011
@Spyder880, Don't mind Casey! He's not a confused type. You need to see how this guy is scrutinizing me - but I can tell you I'm enjoying every bit of it. Thanks caseymoney.

In this digital age, I still wonder why some people feel so special about where they live - I dont think I need to be in US to buy or know what's happening in US. I think its because we are doing small projects, that's the reason we are limited in our reasoning - I was opportuned to be part of the team that won a renovation contract in one of the CBN branch in SW. Part of the contract includes installation of CCTV cameras for remote monitoring of the project.

I was in Ikere Gorge Dam and Oyan Dam to install IP camera last year for remote monitoring and surveillance when the whole of Isheri and some other parts of Lagos was been flooded. The Minister had no time to visit and sure he does not have to visit the site before knowing what's up. A laptop with Internet access will surely do that. The problem is just a minor one that could have been prevented if things were properly done. There's a guy on NL who is very good at implementing low-cost surveillance solution - nobody will pay attention to that. There are property managers, who will handle all the worries - yet you still see them as a waste. So, why the CRY

You'll see Nigerians putting gatehouse when there's gate motor. I dont plan building a gate house - I'm still young and vibrant!!!

For those living in the dark age - welcome to a new dawn! A New Nigeria is Possible

Once again, if you are deceived, cheated or duped - ask yourself what did I do wrong?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:15am On Jun 27, 2011
An exciting weekend it is for me and my family. Visited the site yesterday with a friend (Civil Engineer) to check things out. Noticed some errors that can be overlooked but I choose to fix it anyway. Who knows what others may feel about it. Work resumes today, with backfilling and spreading of the top-soil on the foundation to know how much laterite will be required. Let do it again! Pic and cost updates to follow soon.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:28am On Jun 27, 2011
Areas that require little or no filling.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 4:11pm On Jun 27, 2011
Pic update

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2011
Another 1

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2011
Till this moment, I've not received any of the laterite ordered. Na wah, for this suppliers.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fidelo726: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2011
well done brabus, please do me a favour.
let me see how you utilised the existing foundation footings and starter bars i saw in prevous pix posted.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 5:20pm On Jun 27, 2011
I'm sorry we've passed that stage and I dont have any pics for that on this phone with less than 2mb memory space.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by kingboy(m): 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2011
dear brabus ,im on this stage in my foundation laying and im advise to make a beam on top of the foundation(reason giving was that there is always a crack from the foundation of the houses in that area and i believe in doing it once). my question is that i cant find a beam on your foundation, pls advise
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 27, 2011
I want to ask, why are the homes built so close to the fence?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 8:46pm On Jun 27, 2011
Still loving it and learning
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
Front Elevation

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by speedway: 11:36pm On Jun 27, 2011
@Cliveland,,,what part of Lagos is your land
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 12:02am On Jun 28, 2011
Cant wait to see the end of this
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 12:07am On Jun 28, 2011
Stay tuned for more update
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 12:32am On Jun 28, 2011
brabus:

Stay tuned for more update

Aint going nowhere oh, na here i dey, i have learnt so much on this property section than anywhere else
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 12:38am On Jun 28, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Aint going nowhere oh, na here i dey, i have learnt so much on this property section than anywhere else

Me too, also learning and furiously taking notes grin
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by tdk: 7:11am On Jun 28, 2011
Na why I go commot here, when b4 b4 i no know jack for house mata. Ppl like Brabus, Spyder and the rest come open my eyes, my head and my ear for wetin i no sabi.

I neva learn finish, so i still dey gidigba. chei if u see my jotter ehn. e pass person wey dey do phd own.

Nice work guys.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by tdk: 7:33am On Jun 28, 2011
@Brabus ur email add please.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 7:38am On Jun 28, 2011
Nexthome@live.com bosun.davies@live.co.uk
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:10am On Jun 28, 2011
COST UPDATE AS AT 28TH JUNE, 2011

2,000 Blocks @ N130 - N260,000 (We still have 214 blocks left)
93 bags of Cement @N1,850 - N172,050 (Blinding, Block setting and Casting of Foundation Pillars)
30 tons of Granite - N127,500 (Additional N2,500 on it was for estate dev. and supplier association)
20 tons of Sharp sand - N48,000
30 tons of Soft sand - N36,000
16 lengths of 16mm iron rod + - N56,400
Ring, Binding Wire, Transport
and Iron Bender workmanship
Shed Construction - N30,700 (Zinc - N12k, Wood - 8k, Nails - N1.2k, Workmanship - N8k, Transport - N1.5k)
Water (Tank & Gen rentage, plumber etc) N11,000 (Gen Rentage - N3k, Tank Rentage - N1.5k, Water - N3.5k, Tank Transport to & fro - N1.5k, Fuel - N.5k, Plumber - N1k)
2,000 litre water tank - N27,000
Bush clearing - N8,000
Tie rod/Peg/nails for pegging - N8,000
Site levelling by aboki for block delivery N1,500
20 planks for german floor - N20,000 (We used 6 for foundation pillar, now left with 14)
Bricklayer - N140,000
Pure Water (6 bags) - N600

TOTAL COST = N946,750

OTHER THINGS ALREADY PAID FOR NOT ON SITE

51 bags of Cement @N1,850 - N94,350
7 trips of Laterite @ N14,000 - N98,000
Supervision - N40,000

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 11:40am On Jun 28, 2011
On issue of TRUST, my client entrust his project in my hand and likewise I must find trusted hands to deliver what was agreed within specified timeframe.

One funny thing happened btw yesterday and today. I tried calling the supplier to know why he was unable to supply the laterite as agreed, only to find out that his phones are unreachable. I didn't get to talk to him until around 9:30am this morning. The first person I told about this said "Bosun, you have made a mistake" You shouldn't have given him money, you should have source for the supply from more than 1 person". At first, I thought I was a fool but I remember that even though I paid the guy upfront, I didn't give the money to him directly but to his referee who's a big boy! Immediately, I relaxed and opened my laptop to post updates on NL and also give situation report to my client.

In all of this, what I'm trying to say is this "Wisdom and Trust are the essential ingredient of any successful business". They are ingredient that money cannot buy.

The guy has started delivering the laterite and his reason for the delay is understandable.

The reason for delay would form the basis for another discussion which would target landowners, home owners, developers, agents and stakeholders on Lagos/Ibadan expressway.

The new thread will be titled "Lagos/Ibadan Commercial/Residential Properties - the untold stories"

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fidelo726: 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2011
kingboy:

dear brabus ,im on this stage in my foundation laying and im advise to make a beam on top of the foundation(reason giving was that there is always a crack from the foundation of the houses in that area and i believe in doing it once). my question is that i cant find a beam on your foundation, pls advise

Are you building without a structural drawing?
Know that what happens in Mr A's building mostn't be the same with yours that is why you need it.
Every struction is unique and should be handled so.

To your question, introducing a chain beam in a structure is dependent upon the soil condition.
So, comfirm your soil condition and act accordingly.
But that has its cost implication.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2011
Reporting for knowledge . . . teach me, people
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2011
@Brabus,
well done and nice talking to u on the phone,
I wish I knew u earlier.

I'll meet up when I arrive.

Thanks again.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 4:09pm On Jun 28, 2011
Thanks Fidelo for the prompt response. Different solution apply to different situations, we do not require such in our area but yr structural drawing should tell you. But don't just do it because people told you to do so.

I remember how I spent over N1m to solve a problem that does not worth the pain and cost. Talk to a structural engineer.

Updating from mobile phone is not easy.

@Fhemmmy, how's class today? Today, I learnt that 1 + 1 in building industry is never 2 but 3. Always have a backup plan.

@Euromillion, try talk to the guy. You don't know when you'll need such guys. At least, brief him. I experienced something similar today by some guys who felt their size, status or noise can intimidate me - but his timely intervention helped sort things out.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 4:17pm On Jun 28, 2011
brabus:

Thanks Fidelo for the prompt response. Different solution apply to different situations, we do not require such in our area but yr structural drawing should tell you. But don't just do it because people told you to do so.

I remember how I spent over N1m to solve a problem that does not worth the pain and cost. Talk to a structural engineer.

Updating from mobile phone is not easy.

@Fhemmmy, how's class today? Today, I learnt that 1 + 1 in building industry is never 2 but 3. Always have a backup plan.

Well, i am yet to learn anything today oh, cos seems like property section today is dry . . . so people make it fun jare, make i learn
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 4:43pm On Jun 28, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Well, i am yet to learn anything today oh, cos seems like property section today is dry . . . so people make it fun jare, make i learn

Its because we are still out in the fields, I am counting cement here and trying to read all the entries, e no easy o grin
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
spyder880:

Its because we are still out in the fields, I am counting cement here and trying to read all the entries, e no easy o grin
I look forward to the day i will be around in Nigeria in my jeans on the field with you and counting together, with my wife beside me learning as well.
So whatever i miss, she will catch

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply)

Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House : / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.