Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused (18198 Views)

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Should I Continue Building My Ajah Swamp House Or Go Somewhere Else (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 25, 2022
Prioritize son, prioritize. Where I come from, there's an adage and I quote: "na small word(s) them dey tell pikin wey get sense" [Etsako, Edo State]
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by khalidibnwhalid: 3:33pm On Jan 25, 2022
Ahmed0336:
Get a less expensive car then use the remaining to start building.

Less expensive wey e go dey call people to help am push daily abi
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2022
Bluntdude:

I didn't come to beg you for money. I can buy the car in one year if I choose to. I have other commitments hence the reason for my saving bit by bit. I'm not a thief, I earn my money legitimately so you can't push me into depression with your comment. Thanks
Ahh calm down na.. depression ke? Why? I just dey break am down for u na. Don't take my comment the wrong way bro. I will be the last person to mock a hustling man. Sorry u feel slighted. Not intentional

1 Like

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Lsx0: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2022
Only a fool will chose liabilities over assets
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by seanwilliam(m): 3:41pm On Jan 25, 2022
Well from your post , you really need the car first to make your work easier.. your health is paramount here.

But but see my brother, let’s face it.. sometimes things don’t always go as planned o and cost of building materials are getting more and more expensive everyday .. cement is now 4k plus .., laterite is 33k here, so the foundation and filling alone might send you to depression lol. When you start building house , na that time u go know say you’re earning little lol.,

Anyway In this case bro, even if you’re going to get car first , try and buy a land first . Buy land of 500k ,, u can get a tokunbo golf @ 1.2m, use the rest to settle your house rent .,

But incase you hit money along the line pls build house o.. even if you’re going to live in lekki maitama, sha build one first
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by msMonyei: 3:42pm On Jan 25, 2022
killmods:

Sorry that was for a week no mind me jor grin
Make i correct am.

Done. u want just fall my hand with style sha undecided

I just felt bad cuz it seems u were downgrading his efforts. 3k daily savings no easy bro . Graduate with honours earning 100k can't meet up with such plan. And that brings us to the harsh reality that most graduates who only depend on a salary of less than 150k monthly will have to save seriously for at least 10 years before completing a nice house.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 25, 2022
msMonyei:

I just felt bad cuz it seems u were downgrading his efforts. 3k daily savings no easy bro . Graduate with honours earning 100k can't meet up with such plan. And that brings us to the harsh reality that most graduates who only depend on a salary of less than 150k monthly will have to save seriously for at least 10 years before completing a nice house.
Nah wasn't downgrading his efforts. I was just trying to access it's feasibility within that time frame. The plan is to make the people lack so that they can be enslaved and used whenever they want. Reason we shouldn't depend on one source of revenue if it's ur intention to live and die well in the hell hole.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by emmyN(m): 3:51pm On Jan 25, 2022
I don't know what's with most people with the house first before car thingy. In this age and time and with the present reality in Nigeria, a car is a necessity rather than a luxury.

1 Like

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Yaba4sure: 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2022
Well as for me, here in Abuja, I got my own house first then a car. Am a house owner and a car.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Yaba4sure: 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2022
emmyN:
I don't know what's with most people with the house first before car. In this age and time and with the present reality in Nigeria, a car is a necessity rather than a luxury.
honestly
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Danielomisco(m): 3:55pm On Jan 25, 2022
Buy a car you can do uber in your free time and make double money with ease bro
Bluntdude:
Hello guys, good day. Kindly help me make the right decision.

I am an artisan in Abuja who works under a reputable company as a freelancer. My job entails me moving around much everytime. I've done this for years now and to be honest it's really affecting me. The stress of trekking, getting into vehicles and alighting incessantly is really wearing me out. I'm thinking of saving 3k per day for about 2 years to get a car to help ease my movement because in the past and even now, I've lost some customers due to my inability to meet up with some appointments. Most times I get home really exhausted not necessarily because of much work but because of the stress involved in getting to customers' houses and returning again daily.

Now here's the challenge... I planned on getting a land and start building soon before the idea of getting a car came up due to much stress of moving about. I'd really love to own my own house. So please I'd be needing advice from you guys... House or car? Which should I start with first? Really important. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by msMonyei: 3:57pm On Jan 25, 2022
killmods:

Nah wasn't downgrading his efforts. I was just trying to access it's feasibility within that time frame. The plan is to make the people lack so that they can be enslaved and used whenever they want. Reason we shouldn't depend on one source of revenue if it's ur intention to live and die well in the hell hole.

Yeah that's the secret to financial freedom. Having multiple sources of income, and reinvesting profits back to the business by acquiring more assets.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Charly68: 4:02pm On Jan 25, 2022
In your case , you need the car to do your job , so it is not a misplaced priority if you get a car and thereafter plan to build. Your car will also help your business to grow faster but it also comes with additional responsibility of fuelling and maintenance .
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Rcralogy: 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2022
Saving formula based on 200k a month.
35 % to housing = 75k
15% to car = 30k (in 24 months you would save 720k)
5% to emergency fund=10k***very important
10% to saving =20k
5% to enjoyment = 10k
10% to food and clothing=20k
10% to current rent=20k
10% to giving + charity=20k

You can make necessary adjustments to fit your needs
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by emmyN(m): 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2022
Yaba4sure:
honestly

The thing is people don't really think it through. For instance, if I were in a foreign country and I or someone around gets a medical emergency in the middle of the night. All I need do is dial 911 and an ambulance will show up at my doorstep. But for Nigeria, if you can't arrange your own means of transportation at that instant, oyo o.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 25, 2022
msMonyei:

Yeah that's the secret to financial freedom. Having multiple sources of income, and reinvesting profits back to the business by acquiring more assets.
Exactly.. U seem to know ur business well wink
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by msMonyei: 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2022
killmods:

Exactly.. U seem to know ur business well wink

Easier said than done bro. Wish I could keep walking in discipline, and never going against my principles. It is one thing to know the truth, and another to keep acting on it. E no too easy, Na serious struggle to stay on the right path.

1 Like

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Evergreen4(m): 4:18pm On Jan 25, 2022
Bluntdude:

I am an artisan in Abuja who works under a reputable company as a freelancer. My job entails me moving around much everytime. I've done this for years now and to be honest it's really affecting me. The stress of trekking, getting into vehicles and alighting incessantly is really wearing me out. I'm thinking of saving 3k per day for about 2 years to get a car to help ease my movement because in the past and even now, I've lost some customers due to my inability to meet up with some appointments. Most times I get home really exhausted not necessarily because of much work but because of the stress involved in getting to customers' houses and returning again daily.

Now here's the challenge... I planned on getting a land and start building soon before the idea of getting a car came up due to much stress of moving about. I'd really love to own my own house. So please I'd be needing advice from you guys... House or car? Which should I start with first? Really important. Thanks.
Get a car not too expensive and use the remaining money to lay foundation if you already have a land.

But Bro, pls what business are you into. I would love to key in. Permission to DM sir
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by sorepco(m): 4:19pm On Jan 25, 2022
Wetin do u? If u dont have di money niw why not get a bike for the time being to ease the stress on u. With a bike u solve the problem of mobility and also u can now concentrate on building a house and then buy a car after the house.
Mobility is ur main concern at the moment.

Mjanee:

Airplane rather wink
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 25, 2022
msMonyei:

Easier said than done bro. Wish I could keep walking in discipline, and never going against my principles. It is one thing to know the truth, and another to keep acting on it. E no too easy, Na serious struggle to stay on the right path.
I swear it's true. Only this January I done put hands for my mutual funds twice now.. It's scary when money is slow and I'm the last person to beg anyone any favours. I hate am die.. I pray for grace daily to do right, be right and stay right in all things... it's just God sha
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by msMonyei: 4:48pm On Jan 25, 2022
killmods:

I swear it's true. Only this January I done put hands for my mutual funds twice now.. It's scary when money is slow and I'm the last person to beg anyone any favours. I hate am die.. I pray for grace daily to do right, be right and stay right in all things... it's just God sha

May God see us through with the grace to make measurable progress and achieve our goals this year. On God!
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by 77up(m): 5:05pm On Jan 25, 2022
In your case, car please.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by OvertheTop(m): 5:17pm On Jan 25, 2022
IKBARUTEN11:
House is an investment
Car is a liability

If you are not old/ wise enough to be a landlord go and be a car owner

That's if he is Building for Rental.....
in this Case, I think he is building for self.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by onegig(m): 5:28pm On Jan 25, 2022
It is actually interesting how many Nigerians do not understand basic Finance.

A house you live in is not an asset. It can only be an asset when it is an income generating business or the value you get in return year in year out far outweighs the cost you pay to rent a house.

First in this scenario, building a house is a lose-lose. With whatever money he is saving(3000*30days=90,000*24months) N2,160,000. I am sure he is going to be building a house in an extremely remote area of Abuja if not a village completely outside of Abuja.

I.e means he is going to be far away from his potential customers which means extended travel times, potential loss of customers and patronage because of distance. This is very valid. We don't give jobs out to a backup HVAC technician anymore because he moved to Ikorodu. His lead time was way above what we could accommodate(we needed someone who could come in in 30 to 1hour max during a need) and i am sure he must have lost other potential customers because of same.

Even if he rents out the house, i am sure a house in such remote areas with the funds used to build would not fetch him more than 150k in a year as rent.

Compare that to the stress he is undergoing, risk of accidents, loss of income and no one needs to tell you to get the car to enhance your business needs.

A car used to facilitate a business or means of income is part of cost of doing business and not a "liability". As long as the cost of purchase and maintenance is not above the "expected returns" from such enhancement.

@bluntdude

2 Likes

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Fashsilo(m): 5:41pm On Jan 25, 2022
Baba go get car entreing bus to bus is somehow risk make dem no kidnap u b4 u you build ur house finished

1 Like

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Johel(m): 6:11pm On Jan 25, 2022
Bluntdude:

Go get that car man.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Bluntdude: 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
onegig:
It is actually interesting how many Nigerians do not understand basic Finance.

A house you live in is not an asset. It can only be an asset when it is an income generating business or the value you get in return year in year out far outweighs the cost you pay to rent a house.

First in this scenario, building a house is a lose-lose. With whatever money he is saving(3000*30days=90,000*24months) N2,160,000. I am sure he is going to be building a house in an extremely remote area of Abuja if not a village completely outside of Abuja.

I.e means he is going to be far away from his potential customers which means extended travel times, potential loss of customers and patronage because of distance. This is very valid. We don't give jobs out to a backup HVAC technician anymore because he moved to Ikorodu. His lead time was way above what we could accommodate(we needed someone who could come in in 30 to 1hour max during a need) and i am sure he must have lost other potential customers because of same.

Even if he rents out the house, i am sure a house in such remote areas with the funds used to build would not fetch him more than 150k in a year as rent.

Compare that to the stress he is undergoing, risk of accidents, loss of income and no one needs to tell you to get the car to enhance your business needs.

A car used to facilitate a business or means of income is part of cost of doing business and not a "liability". As long as the cost of purchase and maintenance is not above the "expected returns" from such enhancement.

@bluntdude

Wow! This is good analysis. Thanks, I appreciate

3 Likes

Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Bluntdude: 6:14pm On Jan 25, 2022
[quote author=Fashsilo post=109686599]Baba go get car entreing bus to bus is somehow risk make dem no kidnap u b4 u you build ur house finished

grin grin this one off me
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2022
House first, i have started building after finishing it, i will buy car.
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by cobby14(m): 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2022
Bare in mind once you buy for car for 1M and the moment you move it. It now cost less than 1M so be very thoughtful in your decision
Re: House Or Car? Help, I Am Confused by Bluntdude: 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2022
Charly68:
In your case , you need the car to do your job , so it is not a misplaced priority if you get a car and thereafter plan to build. Your car will also help your business to grow faster but it also comes with additional responsibility of fuelling and maintenance .

Yes bro. I'm aware. That's why I don't want to buy scrap in a hurry. Maintenance is a must but make e no be everyday grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ABUJA:CONSTRUCTION PROCESS OF TERRACE BUILDING BY MOORE / *Updated*Properties In Ibadan To Let*With Pictures* / How Much Will It Cost To Fence A One Acre Land In Abeokuta?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.