Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish (36679 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari, Followers On Rampage / Anglican Church Suspends Bishop Adepoju For Having Sex With Reverend’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Sterope(f): 8:28am On Feb 08, 2022
Which kind directive be that? Good riddance grin

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by InoGetJoy: 8:29am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

Exactly. Igbos always want from everyone what they can never give others.
I'm a Catholic in Imo state and we always sing Yoruba, Hausa and songs in other languages I don't even know.
No dey talk rubbish

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by SmartPolician: 8:29am On Feb 08, 2022
Newton85:
Why mention Yoruba when the priest is Edo?

I had to mention that so that one nonentity doesn't come to my mention to argue with my previous assertion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by ugodson(m): 8:29am On Feb 08, 2022
What he would have done was to bring a music teacher that can sing Yoruba and other languages to teach the church singers

7 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 08, 2022
Alohaa:

If only you’re as educated as you claim, the person in question didn’t mention“yoruba”
But yeah, lets begin to say vile things...

Lol. You Igbos make me laugh with how you always defend your kinsmen blindly. He did mention Yorubas. Distastefully and divisively as well. Below is his original anti-Yoruba comment I responded to that led to the post you quoted.

The mods have now removed his offensive comment below but I quoted it already. Maybe you people should start looking at how you wrong others instead of defending yourselves bkindly and clannishly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by winterfell007(m): 8:30am On Feb 08, 2022
I can't believe that the story finally got to nairaland and possibly the media. That's my parish and I was there when we made her stupid comment siting that the choir member must have come from the Igbo village hence the reason why he has been singing Igbo songs during the first collection after Holy Communion. The priest had the opportunity to apologize to the congregation right and end all hostilities there but the mumu kept on justifying his action siting that "we complain that Fulani is dominating Nigeria and we all complaining, it's the same the Igbos are doing in the catholic church". This really irked the congregation,
I'm suprised how this incident that happened last sunday finally got to the nairaland. E be like say we get nairalnders for church wey go report to Bishop and Seun

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Thorondor: 8:31am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

That you are vengeful does not make your vindictiveness justified. It is just another proof of the unreasonable mindset of Igbos.

You go around insisting others have wronged you and then carry bad belle for them till eternity.

For example, all Igbos want to get even with Yorubas and Hausa/Fulani for their civil war humiliation. Yet who caused the war?

You have been blabbing and bleating about civil war like a pregnant goat, as if you were there in person. Would you demoniac hate filled mischief maker stay on point and talk about the mumu parish priest that is trying to remove sand sand for Catholic Church garri?

Werey

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Prolificgiant(m): 8:31am On Feb 08, 2022
OPPO A73 128GB 6GB is available for sale ,it is working perfectly well.check my signature for contact,location lagos
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2022
flokii:
It has now moved from politics to religion, soon people in sports will start complaining about that particular etnic group and their excesses.
Most of us grew up with them in our midst free mimded till we started moving out, working and thinking for ourselves to realize the "excesses" of that tribe most people complain of. I doubt if any catholic church in Imo or Abia would allow Yoruba or Edo songs or seperate service. They always abuse every position of power they get to project their tribe on others not minding the reaction of their hosts.

Lol, you're talking about a Catholic church in Imo or Abia allowing Yoruba or Edo songs or separate service? You're going too far bro. Have you forgotten how the people of Imo State heavily protested against Anambra priest Peter Okpalaeke from being made a Bishop over them in Imo state, just because they felt Anambra priests are dominating them in their own Catholic churches in Imo State?

The thing is, when Eboes cry about certain treatments from other ethnic groups, just believe they do worst amongst themselves. They'll cry about political thugs harassing voters in Festac as an attack on Eboe voters in Lagos, but won't talk about how Ngwa people threatened to kill all "Ndi Ohuhus" (non-Ngwas) in Aba if they voted against Okezie Ikpeazu. Ngwa people even placed coffins across many places in Aba just to threaten their fellow Eboes. I don't take their tears seriously.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by InoGetJoy: 8:33am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

Lol. Can you Igbos ever act educated and refined? So you have a crystal ball to read beyond what is written to somehow link Yorubas with this?

Father James Anelu has a problem with Igbo "excesses" and somehow it is Yorubas that put him up to it?

You Igbos will never heal to be better loved and accepted by fellow Nigerians because when Nigerians complain of your "excesses" the first thing you do is attack them and point fingers of blame eslewhere. Preferably at Yorubas.
The person you quoted, did he ever mention Yoruba in his post?
Igbos don't want your fake love. Shove your fake love into your ass

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Barbiturate(m): 8:33am On Feb 08, 2022
Mzflexydeeva:
I am forced to comment. I am not saying what this priest has done is right but I can understand a bit of what he is saying. Banning is the solution rather ways to foster harmony among all tribes in the church should be sought for.

I for one, I am a catholic but going to church in Lagos has been very discouraging. I have attended a mass where the priest was practically giving sermon in Igbo. Most priest especially those from the East forget the term universal when they mount the pulpit. It’s actually discouraging when at a mass all the Igbo people are laughing over what a priest has said and you just sit there lost. If you are not Igbo sometimes going for mass is no use. Just find the readings and stay at home because you won’t enjoy mass. I am not Yoruba either but I know of a church that has Yoruba mass and others in English. So maybe having an Igbo mass strictly for igbos would help.

So there is no English mass in that your parish?

When I was living in Mushin, I use to attend Mass at Regina Mundi. They usually have Yoruba mass and even the normal(English) mass, the priest will still speak Yoruba while preaching. It never stopped me from going.

There's a bit of tribalism in your submission!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:34am On Feb 08, 2022
Truthisunique2:
how would I know

Because they said he was presided over a parish in Edo before doesn't make him edo
Anelu is an Edo name, you clown!

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by InoGetJoy: 8:35am On Feb 08, 2022
PaedophileProph:
The Hate on Igbo is massive and like a blood tonic, it's prescribed for every unsuccessful, bigoted, unloving , bastards everywhere
Aswear, their hate for Ndi Igbo is the glue binding the so-called "Unity" of Nigeria. A hate born out of envy and jealousy of a tribe

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 8:35am On Feb 08, 2022
Barbiturate:

But they don't want us to leave!

Yorubas hate igbos
Hausas hate igbos

Ok, let them go....you say No!

when yorubas take hold you?
Abi you dey craze for head..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:35am On Feb 08, 2022
Mzflexydeeva:
I am forced to comment. I am not saying what this priest has done is right but I can understand a bit of what he is saying. Banning is the solution rather ways to foster harmony among all tribes in the church should be sought for.

I for one, I am a catholic but going to church in Lagos has been very discouraging. I have attended a mass where the priest was practically giving sermon in Igbo. Most priest especially those from the East forget the term universal when they mount the pulpit. It’s actually discouraging when at a mass all the Igbo people are laughing over what a priest has said and you just sit there lost. If you are not Igbo sometimes going for mass is no use. Just find the readings and stay at home because you won’t enjoy mass. I am not Yoruba either but I know of a church that has Yoruba mass and others in English. So maybe having an Igbo mass strictly for igbos would help.
Nice submission.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Munzy14(m): 8:36am On Feb 08, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Priest want to chase Major customers of Catholic church away? cheesy. Igbos are the fuel pump of Catholic church in Nigeria take it or leave it
I just tire for the priest... grin grin

Well I gave up on Catholic priests with the way some are going astray and being wild...Some bodly mess up in public...Na so one begin reveal catholic classified info to babe i dey tidy for whatever reasons best known to him.. cheesy

I had to move on...before monkey hand go turn human hand inside stew.

It still won't stop me from being a Catholic faithful and generally a Christian at large....And respecting other people's beliefs..

The religious leaders should bind the people and not cause confusion.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 8:36am On Feb 08, 2022
chiefobdk2:

you family and generation are cursed.

thats why u will never do well in life
bastard people always having problems wherever they go..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by NaijaRoyalty(m): 8:36am On Feb 08, 2022
winterfell007:
I can't believe that the story finally got to nairaland and possibly the media. That's my parish and I was there when we made her stupid comment siting that the choir member must have come from the Igbo village hence the reason why he has been singing Igbo songs during the first collection after Holy Communion. The priest had the opportunity to apologize to the congregation right and end all hostilities there but the mumu kept on justifying his action siting that "we complain that Fulani is dominating Nigeria and we all complaining, it's the same the Igbos are doing in the catholic church". This really irked the congregation,
I'm suprised how this incident that happened last sunday finally got to the nairaland. E be like say we get nairalnders for church wey go report to Bishop and Seun

The priest is tribalistic and must not be allowed to step foot in the pulpit ever again

9 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by PHIPEX(m): 8:38am On Feb 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

Yes, it's Igboland.

Ndi Igbo and transgressions

Wherever they are, their first aim is how to dominate.

This is why they shouldn't be entrusted with power.

Check what Aguyi Ironsi did just few months he was a ruler.
Check those biafra soldiers court martial by Ojukwu during the civil war, non of them are Ndi Igbo.

Check what Azikwe tried to do in Southwest (by representing the region upon the numbers of literate mind among Yorubas) before Awolowo cornered his mischievous move

Check those killed and spare by Kaduna Nzegu and Owaboshi.

They're just pretending, give power to them and be a victim of their vengeance
Now that Fulani is dominating you, you have gone to hide, imagine Buhari is Igbo.

Igbos are competitive anywhere, you can see it in their markets. If you are not ready for competition they will overtake you, it doesn't make them bad.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:38am On Feb 08, 2022
DeAlphaMale:

Unreasonable mindset that's the first, igbos are unreasonable because they fight to curb out the marginalization on them... So they should keep quiet when it's crystal clear that they are being targeted? If this is what you label "unreasonable mindset" well i think it's just an understatement then
The real marginalization happens amongst you people. How do you want a non-Eboe Catholic to feel when you guys are rendering services exclusively in Eboe when the church isn't an Eboe church in the East?

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:39am On Feb 08, 2022
flokii:

That's because some people don't respect boundaries or respect their hosts... How will you go to a church where the priest is not Igbo, doesn't speak or understand the language and start singing chorus in it. What happened to English or the local language in the area which is Yoruba?

I'm sure the non-Igbos there met with the priest to express their displeasure over the turn of events in the church which prompted that statement credited to him. For God sake, people should respect boundaries and respect their hosts.
The priest is even from Edo State and even stated that that's the same thing they used to do in his Benin parish.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 08, 2022
Thorondor:

You have been blabbing and bleating about civil war like a pregnant goat, as if you were there in person. Would you demoniac hate filled mischief maker stay on point and talk about the mumu parish priest that is trying to remove sand sand for Catholic Church garri?

Werey

Olodo. Documented history tells us the part every side played.

Now tell us who is responsible for the civil war you Igbos continue to blame Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis for till today.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Barbiturate(m): 8:41am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

Abeg who caused the Civil war that Igbos remain angry at others for till today?

Have you heard of the "Aburi accord"?

Go read it well, you will understand who actually caused or instigated the war.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by DeAlphaMale(m): 8:41am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

Abeg who caused the Civil war that Igbos remain angry at others for till today?

Is that ur run to defense mechanism...
Your question rather should be... Reason for the war?

9 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by NnamdiN: 8:42am On Feb 08, 2022
Allsouls:
Is the Rev father insane?, Igbo are majority in every catholic parishes in Lagos, to the extent that some parishes have Igbo service.
So singing Igbo songs are now the issues?.
The Rev father will soon be hungry when Igbos leave the church.

That how trouble enters Anglican Church in FESTAC then, which leads to division among Igbo Anglican Church & Yoruba/others.
Come see crowd when Igbos started having their separate service but you can count the no of parishioners in the other one side.
The Rev father is not with his senses.
which Anglican church ? Church of the pentecost?
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by SugarGirl44(f): 8:42am On Feb 08, 2022
chiefobdk2:

we are not leaving.. I'm coming back to Nigeria to buy a house in lagos this year.. tell me if you re ready to sell ur leaking grandfather hut..so u can move to badagry or ikorodu
You're so shameless. Self hatred is really a thing for you guys.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 8:42am On Feb 08, 2022
nwigwemark:
I know him from Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church Ifako Gbagada.

I am not surprised. He is a boring priest.
He's a boring priest because he doesn't want the non-Eboes in his parish feel left out? How can your people be rendering services exclusively in Eboe when there are non-Eboes in the same church? Does it make any sense to you?

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Kinzo0917(m): 8:43am On Feb 08, 2022
��� ���� ����� �� ��������� �� �� �����������'� ��������� ������ ����� �����.99% �� ����� ���� �� ��� ����� ��� ��� ���� �����.�� ���� ����� ������ �� ��� ������ ��� ����� ���� ���� ���� ����� ��� �������� �� ����� ������ �����. ��� ��� ���� ���� �� ��� ���� �� ��� ��� ���� ���� ����. ���� ��� ������� �� ����.����� ������ ���� ���� ��� �������� �� ������. �������
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by franchasng: 8:43am On Feb 08, 2022
The Priest is jealous cheesy

They should remind the Priest that in Nigeria, Igbos are the symbol of Christianity as a whole

If you go to the North and mention Christians, what comes to the mind of an average Hausa or Fulani man is Igbos. To them, all Southern Christians are Igbos grin

In Nigeria, Igbos make up majority of the Christian population, followed by Yorubas who have more Muslims than Christians.

So it is expected that Igbos will have a large population in every Christian gathering, and when you now come to Catholic, Igbos are the highest in number, so the man should better join Celestial Church where they have mostly Yorubas because he just want to destroy Catholic Church if he dare go against Igbos, even Pope Francis and Vatican knows about this cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by WOCKHARDI(m): 8:43am On Feb 08, 2022
Y
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Kinzo0917(m): 8:43am On Feb 08, 2022
��� ���� ����� �� ��������� �� �� �����������'� ��������� ������ ����� �����.99% �� ����� ���� �� ��� ����� ��� ��� ���� �����.�� ���� ����� ������ �� ��� ������ ��� ����� ���� ���� ���� ����� ��� �������� �� ����� ������ �����. ��� ��� ���� ���� �� ��� ���� �� ��� ��� ���� ���� ����. ���� ��� ������� �� ����.����� ������ ���� ���� ��� �������� �� ������. �������.. May God help us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

"They Have Used My Destiny For Money Ritual"; Nigerian Man Cries Out. Photos / Pastor Adeboye Walks 7KM With Pastors Before The Kick Off Of 65th Convention / Joshua Iginla Heals HIV+ Soldier In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.