Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,964 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. (50919 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by chloride6: 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:
I really don't know what I did to my immediate boss since I got promoted earlier this year. Ever since I got my promotion letter, my boss changed to me abruptly. He suddenly finds everything I do useless.

When I noticed the change, I went to him and begged him to tell me what I had done wrong so we could settle everything and get back along. But he said I did nothing wrong and I shouldn't worry about anything. So I locked up and was doing my job to the best of my ability.
So he did something that sparked my madness and anger.

I got an email that I was to go on board our vessel to go and load from Lagos cos our mother vessel berthed in Lagos. And cos of my promotion, I'm not supposed to be a crew member anymore. But I was surprised to see the mail and went to his office to address the issue, next thing he said was 'IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DUTY, YOU CAN RESIGN'.

That statement really sent chills down my spine and I sparked and told him really derogatory words. I don't even feel anyhow about my reaction.
I'm happy I told him his life history.
I'm very excited to have poured my mind out to him.
If I get sacked, I won't feel bad, rather I'll be glad I told him what I told him.
#Peace

Lmao...

This is not the way to handle issues
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Rabihe: 1:49pm On Feb 15, 2022
@ OP, welldone. Start job hunting. Welcome back to the Labour market.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by pedrilo: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
OMOTOWO:
We possess the same character but we always regret it when the result is out but we feel okay when we pour out our mind ..

We should learn to be cool and calm even in the face of oppression or difficulty .

Someone like me will always tell you his mind not minding the repercussion but it is not good especially when we have people lookimg up to us for money and feeding at home.Same thing you just did cost me my job recently .
slave mentality of 90% of naija workers
if not for unemployment, how can u advise anyone to be cool with oppression?
i no blame u sha

3 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by walemoney007(m): 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2022
OMOTOWO:
We possess the same character but we always regret it when the result is out but we feel okay when we pour out our mind ..

We should learn to be cool and calm even in the face of oppression or difficulty .

Someone like me will always tell you his mind not minding the repercussion but it is not good especially when we have people lookimg up to us for money and feeding at home.Same thing you just did cost me my job recently .
Someone like me needs this advise.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Goldbw122(m): 1:58pm On Feb 15, 2022
You can use wisdom to guide your boss and there by you will be the leader on a coded level, yes oo when you obey your boss he can go he and leave everything for you, he just want to oppress you because you are not doing what he asked you to do..
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by RICHOLAC(m): 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:
I really don't know what I did to my immediate boss since I got promoted earlier this year. Ever since I got my promotion letter, my boss changed to me abruptly. He suddenly finds everything I do useless.

When I noticed the change, I went to him and begged him to tell me what I had done wrong so we could settle everything and get back along. But he said I did nothing wrong and I shouldn't worry about anything. So I locked up and was doing my job to the best of my ability.

I got an email that I was to go on board our vessel to go and load from Lagos cos our mother vessel berthed in Lagos. And cos of my promotion, I'm not supposed to be a crew member anymore. But I was surprised to see the mail and went to his office to address the issue, next thing he said was 'IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DUTY, YOU CAN RESIGN'.

That statement really sent chills down my spine and I sparked and told him really derogatory words. I don't even feel anyhow about my reaction.
If I get sacked, I won't feel bad, rather I'll be glad I told him what I told him.
#Peace

So issue are best resolved in the place of prayers( i.e if you're a Christian)
However, remember to update us on the later outcome. I wish you well dear.

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Enemyofpeace: 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
Very good! You’re my man, I love the way you gave it back to him. I ate nonsense, especially from bosses
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by illuminutty: 2:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by theamazonguru(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2022
ajailer:
Anger is a bad thing.
Better go apologize to your boss but know one thing for sure, ur job ain’t safe again.

Lies. Which job is not safe.
I understand his kind of organization.

Let HR determine the safety of his job.
Though I do not support his kind of confrontational approach,no I do not.

But as per job safety, forget it provided it is not Emeka and sons limited. Neither is it a shop kind of setting, nobody is sacking anybody.
Yes, he can be queried
He can be transferred to another department but not sacked.

At this point, I would rather not be concerned about his job safety, but of his personal safety, both spiritually and physically if he is dealing with a really bad guy.

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by illuminutty: 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2022
jospepper:
Gave me which shocker?!

Oh so you even came here to boast about it right? Boy you Know nothing.

You will see my true colours at work tomorrow

Khaki no be leather.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Boss is that you? grin grin grin grin
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Imbecilicsamuel: 2:13pm On Feb 15, 2022
Hian.

Come back and give us feedback...on whether you were sacked or not. grin

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by aribisala0(m): 2:14pm On Feb 15, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
Very good! You’re my man, I love the way you gave it back to him. I ate nonsense, especially from bosses
With this mentality will you ever be a "boss"

There is a way that management material conduct themselves before they get to the top
A major problem in Nigeria is emotional incontinence. A person who has no control over his emotions or himself should not be in charge of others.
Most situations can be stripped of emotional content and handled with maturity.

That is the quality of those that lead others. Self Control.

This same OP if they get to the top likely would victimize those under him but very early on he has got one promotion and is raising his shoulders

There is nothing wrong in fighting for your rights but this should not degenerate into something personal.
In the military sometimes you take orders from an idiot because he is your superior if he is oppressing you you do not deal with it by having a tantrum. Managing such situations is a test of your wisdom and character

Leadership does not start when you become oga at the top
You first have to learn to lead yourself
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by solofresh(m): 2:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
Thanos5555:
cheesy
I don't personally feel, that one should be maltreated because he is working under someone, for those of you calling for him to go back and apologize, i will call you Guys SIMPS, because the truth remains that you have to carve respect for yourself, as far his boss is just his immediate boss, there's not too much wrong COMMITED, except his boss is the owner of the firm, that's when you know that you are entering deep waters, i remember when i have to argue with my HR and even went as far as blaming him for not taking our problems seriously , since that day, the Respect that i began receiving from him was top notch
What some people don't know is that, when you face your fears and stand on your right, you have earned your self some maximum respect

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Eastcaostboy: 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

His plans just work parfect. Boy, learn on how to take issue to the chair and think over it before recting. He just want to know if you're still humble and you prove it to him you aint anymore. Fuk you boy for disrespect your boss, you're the problem. You should have do what he said then come back and make him understand with your references

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by adedayourt(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

This is one way to handle the situation but its obviously not the best. Before now you had the upper hand and you were playing from the place of strength, not you thrown all that out of the window.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by solofresh(m): 2:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
Triangles1:
I feel your pain, the man must have stepped on your toes push you to the wall.

That's why they say face your fear or die silent.
Which would you rather do

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by udemzyudex(m): 2:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
MufasaLion:
I totally understand your situation but I would have not acted like you did, if I were in your situation. People like that should be ignored and avoided at any given chance. You said, he's your immediate boss which means you're probably gonna be reporting to him directly always.

You could have reported him to HR anonymously. Anyways, I'll leave you with two of the Laws of Power :

"Win through your actions, never through an argument."

"Know who you’re dealing with—do not offend the wrong person."

I wish you well.

For how long is he going to avoid or ignore him? Especially someone you're working with in the same place.

Agree with the second part of your post, that's the right thing to do instead of avoiding him because things like this will only make him begin to hate his job.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by nedekid: 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2022
Hmm op, hope you have plan B sha.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Mom007(f): 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

... So what did you told him?
Lol. Anyway, calm down. Its possible your promotion made him uneasy. Like whoa! This young buck is gunning for my job ooo! But he needs to chill. Nobody rises by suppressing others.
Offshore jobs... I've always wanted one of those, even if its just for the experience. How does one get such jobs sef?
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Enemyofpeace: 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2022
aribisala0:
With this mentality will you ever be a "boss"

There is a way that management material conduct themselves before they get to the top
A major problem in Nigeria is emotional incontinence. A person who has no control over his emotions or himself should not be in charge of others.
Most situations can be stripped of emotional content and handled with maturity.

That is the quality of those that lead others. Self Control.

This same OP if they get to the top likely would victimize those under him but very early on he has got one promotion and is raising his shoulders

There is nothing wrong in fighting for your rights but this should not degenerate into something personal.
In the military sometimes you take orders from an idiot because he is your superior if he is oppressing you you do not deal with it by having a tantrum. Managing such situations is a test of your wisdom and character

Leadership does not start when you become oga at the top
You first have to learn to lead yourself
so bosses should give shiiiit to their staff just because they are the boss? Useless Nigerian mentality. Travel and see how staff call their bosses by their first names without any issue. You carry boss for head like cap. Fok boss! Who boss epp?

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by solofresh(m): 2:27pm On Feb 15, 2022
OMOTOWO:

I actually don't see anything bad in what the OP did because he might probably keep malice are die in silence.
If not for money I don't see any reason why someone will keep taking advantage of you and you wouldn't speak.
But when money is involved......
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Kayharry(m): 2:29pm On Feb 15, 2022
Law 1: Never outshine the master
Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the opposite—inspire fear and insecurity. Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power.

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by aribisala0(m): 2:31pm On Feb 15, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
so bosses should give shiiiit to their staff just because
they are the boss? Useless Nigerian mentality. Travel and see how staff call their bosses by their first names without any issue. You carry boss for head like cap. Fok boss! Who boss epp?

So your idea is that if your boss gives you shit you give him shit back? Is that how to fix it?
Your choice of words already tells us the kind of person you are.

The message is if you are going to be a boss one day you have to get a workplace education.
When challenges like this arise how do you fix them.?? That is how leaders think
Calling boss first name is an irrelevance. That is a cultural issue
The corporate culture in Japan is very different from that of America or Britain so let us not get derailed with irrelevant issues.
If you have travelled as you advise you would know. The culture in the US Army is different from that of Apple or Google

The point is bosses cross the line all over the world and there are childish ways and adult ways of dealing with it

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Enemyofpeace: 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2022
aribisala0:

So your idea is that if your boss gives you shit you give him shit back? Is that how to fix it?
my idea is that you respect your staff. It’s only in Nigeria that bosses see themselves as God that must be worshipped and obeyed. Once again, fok boss!

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Czario: 2:38pm On Feb 15, 2022
HRSweetness:
Awww willywonder1, you clearly have some growing up to do. This your way no be so oh.

Obviously, your boss feels insecure about your promotion. He probably didn't support it but you were promoted nevertheless and this seems to rile him up.

You need to understand that you should never make your boss feel as though you are trying to outshine him.

As you climb up in the corporate ladder, you are assessed based on your people skills and emotional maturity. Such display of emotions as you did, presents you in a very poor light. Infact any case you may have is dead on arrival and you have given your hater justifiable reasons for his actions.

You should have simply shared your concerns with HR.

Besides, the task you were given, don't you think if you had delegated to the responsible persons meant to carryout the task and supervised the process, you'd have delivered the task without necessarily getting your hands dirty while displaying effective leadership skills, which is expected in this new role?

Yeah ok..but the OP doesn't give a shit..
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2022
jospepper:
Gave me which shocker?!

Oh so you even came here to boast about it right? Boy you Know nothing.

You will see my true colours at work tomorrow

Khaki no be leather.

E b like you wan loose your daily bread and see how it feels to be in the job market. Mind yourself before you feel am
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Awoo88: 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

. Ether u are one one of those over pampered spoilt child or you are foolish. That your mumu good feeling go soon clear
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by aribisala0(m): 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
my idea is that you respect your staff. It’s only in Nigeria that bosses see themselves as God that must be worshipped and obeyed. Once again, fok boss!
It is not only in Nigeria that bosses see themselves as God . Have you worked in Japan or Korea . This is a matter that has been researched by scholars across cultures. Just search for workplace bullying around the world

You are emotional

The point is how does one deal with problems in a corporate world.

Is throwing a tantrum the solution.

Somebody came and told us a story you have not even shown the maturity to analyse the story .You swallowed it all without reading between the lines and are now insulting the whole of Nigeria.
Focus on what he said .
He said he got an email he did not like and went to face his boss.
Why did he not reply by email and copy in HR or any other relevant person. This kind of thing is best handled in writing so that there is a paper trail.

There are many unanswered questions there.
Was he rude or confrontational ? If there is a misunderstanding about Job description which happens all the time there are ways to deal with it .

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Slurity(m): 2:49pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

You have done what you think it's best but you need to understand that make makes you happy sometimes may not be the right thing. Learn to be humble this is the only thing you need to keep going up and respected. Nobody disrespect humble fellow.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by davidadenrele: 2:49pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

Wisdom is profitable to direct, yes you poured out your mind to as a clap back to your immediate boss, yes your boss very unkind and unreasonable, you shouldn't have reacted they way you did, resign honorable and re-strategize your next move on how you will get another job, it might seems you don't need your boss now, but mind you will realize later that you need your boss why? if you asked me am sure you know what they called referral, am sure you understand what they called background checking your next company, or even some company do asked for a referral letter, from previous organization as confirmation that you worked for your previous company by stating your official status,job description, they will also want to know if you have a clean bill of record, do you now see reason's why you shouldn't have insulted your boss based on the level of the kind of job you do and the career, you are into you will need your boss going forward to your next level.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female Electrician Climbs A Pole In Her Hijab (Photos) / Is My Boss Forcing Me To Marry His Only Daughter? / Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.