Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,949 members, 7,828,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. (51009 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by merits(m): 2:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:
I really don't know what I did to my immediate boss since I got promoted earlier this year. Ever since I got my promotion letter, my boss changed to me abruptly. He suddenly finds everything I do useless.

When I noticed the change, I went to him and begged him to tell me what I had done wrong so we could settle everything and get back along. But he said I did nothing wrong and I shouldn't worry about anything. So I locked up and was doing my job to the best of my ability.
So he did something that sparked my madness and anger.

I got an email that I was to go on board our vessel to go and load from Lagos cos our mother vessel berthed in Lagos. And cos of my promotion, I'm not supposed to be a crew member anymore. But I was surprised to see the mail and went to his office to address the issue, next thing he said was 'IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DUTY, YOU CAN RESIGN'.

That statement really sent chills down my spine and I sparked and told him really derogatory words. I don't even feel anyhow about my reacton.
I'm happy I told him his life history.
I'm very excited to have poured my mind out to him.
If I get sacked, I won't feel bad, rather I'll be glad I told him what I told him.
#Peace

Everybody suggestion is highly welcome,but one thing about life is that not everything that peace can solve,sometimes you need to be aggressive and take the bull by the horn,some people are too toxic.I support your plight bro.quote me,he is going to be your best friend now because he knows he has pushed you beyond the limits. CHEERS TEAM NO DULLING grin

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by AntiMen: 2:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
@willywonder, Firstly ,I must say sorry for all of the maltreatment your boss put you through, also I must say you shouldn't feel bad for the action you took cos while I was working as a Q.C officer in one of the top pharmaceutical companies in Lagos, I did same to my direct boss, infact, he couldn't believe his eyes, I rubbished him and his entire lineage, although he reported me , and I was queried but nothing happened, afterwards, the guy learnt to respect me......

I would not tolerate any shit from anyone no matter who you are.....
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 15, 2022
Hehe! Now brace up like a man. For every actions, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Newton's law of motion.

I once went all out to curse two white ladies at work some years back in the UK because I couldn't take their degrading treatment anymore.
Guess what, I was sacked.
The end!
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by RoyalBoutique(m): 3:03pm On Feb 15, 2022
MufasaLion:
I totally understand your situation but I would have not acted like you did, if I were in your situation. People like that should be ignored and avoided at any given chance. You said, he's your immediate boss which means you're probably gonna be reporting to him directly always.

You could have reported him to HR anonymously. Anyways, I'll leave you with two of the Laws of Power :

"Win through your actions, never through an argument."

"Know who you’re dealing with—do not offend the wrong person."

I wish you well.

There a popular saying "don't judge people's action because you don't know the options they were given"

Nuff said

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Charly68: 3:04pm On Feb 15, 2022
Thanks for managerial counsel on this matter but my opinion truly is whatever we can not confront in life,we can't conquer . I dealt like that with a supervisor many years ago and from that time,he began to show me respect. I was even surprised to see him asking me not to leave the organization after I ended my youth service with the Organization. He was shocked to hear that I have gotten a job even before the end of my service with them. Fear no man except God..but respect your elders and confront them wherever they exceed their limit ..

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Invitationn: 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

I quite understand you well. But you see there's limit to which you can be patient. This man literally frustrates my work. He assigns works that I'm not supposed to do at all to me and I do with all diligence. This is an organization, and there are ways things are done. But he wants to always show himself.
I don't regret my action in any way at all.
You not regretting your action is the most important thing.
I support your action 100%.
What you allow will continue

4 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Enemyofpeace: 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
aribisala0:
It is not only in Nigeria that bosses see themselves as God . Have you worked in Japan or Korea . This is a matter that has been researched by scholars across cultures. Just search for workplace bullying around the world

You are emotional

The point is how does one deal with problems in a corporate world.

Is throwing a tantrum the solution.

Somebody came and told us a story you have not even shown the maturity to analyse the story .You swallowed it all without reading between the lines and are now insulting the whole of Nigeria.
Focus on what he said .
He said he got an email he did not like and went to face his boss.
Why did he not reply by email and copy in HR or any other relevant person. This kind of thing is best handled in writing so that there is a paper trail.

There are many unanswered questions there.
Was he rude or confrontational ? If there is a misunderstanding about Job description which happens all the time there are ways to deal with it .

have you worked in the US, Canada and UK?
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Emceekonami(m): 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ45TwAGVT0&t=42s
#Streeet Parolz
We asked people on the street of Lagos to Mention three Nigerian songs and afterwards sing one. Trust Nigerians now. i still never understand The love song Tope Alabi sang����

#konamitv
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by smasher1(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:
I really don't know what I did to my immediate boss since I got promoted earlier this year. Ever since I got my promotion letter, my boss changed to me abruptly. He suddenly finds everything I do useless.

When I noticed the change, I went to him and begged him to tell me what I had done wrong so we could settle everything and get back along. But he said I did nothing wrong and I shouldn't worry about anything. So I locked up and was doing my job to the best of my ability.

I got an email that I was to go on board our vessel to go and load from Lagos cos our mother vessel berthed in Lagos. And cos of my promotion, I'm not supposed to be a crew member anymore. But I was surprised to see the mail and went to his office to address the issue, next thing he said was 'IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DUTY, YOU CAN RESIGN'.

That statement really sent chills down my spine and I sparked and told him really derogatory words. I don't even feel anyhow about my reaction.
If I get sacked, I won't feel bad, rather I'll be glad I told him what I told him.
#Peace

With every promotion should come more humility. And no matter how little the job is, be happy to do it. Only that can take you higher. I don't want to speak about the other person, but learn to control yourself. A lot of people have offered professional counsel in the first page. Do adhere to that and be guided.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by aribisala0(m): 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
have you worked in the US, Canada and UK?
Inever answer personal questions about myself on faceless forums

I am not the issue
Let us not derail the thread and start talking about me

The point is workplace bullying is a well researched issue
This is particularly the case with globalization as many organizations have footprints across the globe and staff are quite mobile so those cultural issues are taught to every MBA student who one day wishes to be a CEO
back to topic
There is nowhere in the world that they encourage confrontation like the OP described. Does that bring money into the business?If you have a problem at work there are mechanisms to deal with it. Going to square up to anyone whether boss or colleague is toxic behaviour.
For me that is a red flag and a sign that the person is not a leader. Two wrongs do not make a right
Even in football clubs there are issues.
Was there any other way of dealing with this problem other than confrontation? For me yes. Deal with it formally. He claimed he received an email why not respond with an email?
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by smasher1(m): 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2022
Thanos5555:
cheesy
I don't personally feel, that one should be maltreated because he is working under someone, for those of you calling for him to go back and apologize, i will call you Guys SIMPS, because the truth remains that you have to carve respect for yourself, as far his boss is just his immediate boss, there's not too much wrong COMMITED, except his boss is the owner of the firm, that's when you know that you are entering deep waters, i remember when i have to argue with my HR and even went as far as blaming him for not taking our problems seriously , since that day, the Respect that i began receiving from him was top notch

What is Simp? Even the U.S President have people he is humble to. Everyone needs the other. If you doubt it, you'll be like Donald Trump who lost a second term easily. Learn to be humble. Simple.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by nonix22(m): 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2022
As long as you serve a living God and its your destiny to remain in that organisation as long as you deem fit, Baba no go fit do you anything.
He has known now that you know what he knows.
I see no reason why people will be advising you to beg him, for what kwa nu

Man has been very jealous and uncomfortable with your spirit right from the day you started the job; and not due your promotion,

Baba might even call you for a sit-out this weekend. grin grin as his head will be calming down from henceforth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Cloud007: 3:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
Funny he might not even be your real enemy. He might be acting a script for some power that be.

I think they got what they wanted. You have played into their territory.

May God see you through.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by metalgear11(m): 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2022
Your boss sees you as a threat to his so-called "bubble". That's why he made that statement for you to resign. Once they see a subordinate rising, they see them as a threat, especially if such boss has been in the organization longer than you.

Something similar happened to my brother when he was posted to the regional office of his job. No matter what he did, his immediate boss never saw anything good in it. He would bad-mouth the guy in front of board members, and once stated that they fire him. My brother was already clearing out his files after less than a year on the job in the event that he would move back to Nigeria. Then one day their senior oga (the one my brother's boss reports to) called him to his office. He told my brother he could not reconcile what he was hearing from my brother's immediate boss and what he saw in him. The man later figured out it was my brother's immediate boss that had the issue. The man was removed from his position and transferred to another office.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Allisgud: 3:30pm On Feb 15, 2022
This was how one stupid hr called my company to remove me from work,if to say I see this hr before I Waka I for tell am word
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by KelChinon202: 3:30pm On Feb 15, 2022
Brother so long as your happy with yourself, you have done the right thing. Another way out of it is asking for a change of department, that might help.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by stanisbaratheon: 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2022
Superiors in the marine field are very rude and I don't know why.

I almost cried when my elder brother narrated what he went through in the hands of some captains during his humble beginnings in the marine sector. But today that deckhand in the marine sector has become a captain all thanks to GOD. Becoming a captain from working as a deckhand is no easy feat I tell you, it takes a certain king of doggedness, money and studies to achieve that.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Enemyofpeace: 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2022
aribisala0:
Inever answer personal questions about myself on faceless forums

I am not the issue
Let us not derail the thread and start talking about me

The point is workplace bullying is a well researched issue
This is particularly the case with globalization as many organizations have footprints across the globe and staff are quite mobile so those cultural issues are taught to every MBA student who one day wishes to be a CEO
back to topic
There is nowhere in the world that they encourage confrontation like the OP described. Does that bring money into the business?If you have a problem at work there are mechanisms to deal with it. Going to square up to anyone whether boss or colleague is toxic behaviour.
For me that is a red flag and a sign that the person is not a leader. Two wrongs do not make a right
Even in football clubs there are issues.
Was there any other way of dealing with this problem other than confrontation? For me yes. Deal with it formally. He claimed he received an email why not respond with an email?
stop supporting evil. Bosses are not gods, that must be feared and worshipped.

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by rhymesnoni(m): 3:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
Am sure you are regrating your action now..

an Incident occurred between myself and my office cleaner 2 years ago. we have a boss that is soo obsessed with "coke" and such we always have plenty empty bottles of coke in the office. (Mind you, she only takes Bottle Coke). so each time she sends the office cleaners to buy, they buy at least 10 bottles, which she consumes within 2 or max 3 days.. I have never seen someone so addicted to coke as her..

One faithful morning on my way to work I bought food, unfortunately, when I got to office I discovered that our dispenser battle was empty (no water) and needed something very cool, cause I had trekked a long distance, so I took one of our madam's bottle to get coke and also buy water, so after I had finished eating, the cleaner was picking bottles to go get coke for madam as usual.. when he saw an empty bottle in my office, he started shouting and embarrassing me "that I take bottles and won't return it, that's how we steal bottles", in the midst of our colleagues fa!

I gave him the beating of his life, madam summoned us before he was rushed to the closest clinic at Utako, he was bleeding from his nose and mouth, one of his eye was swollen too. series of meeting held, some oga's asked that I be sacked, fortunately for me, I was only queried and given a sound warning. I remember I could not sleep all through that period. called different pastors and Imams to pray for me. I regrated my actions and I always keep my temper on check whenever someone annoys me in the office.

lesson learnt the hard way..

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by drnoel: 3:40pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

I quite understand you well. But you see there's limit to which you can be patient. This man literally frustrates my work. He assigns works that I'm not supposed to do at all to me and I do with all diligence. This is an organization, and there are ways things are done. But he wants to always show himself.

I think the people that stated you report him anonymously were right here. Another thing you could have done was to check the job requirements of your current position to be certain and if you have the power to reassign the project, you do just that. You should learn to keep a cool head at Ur place of work cos that's where you feed and pay your bills. It will be well, just keep your head high.
Conflict berths more conflict and that is what someone doesn't need esp at work. Learn to ignore fools

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by aribisala0(m): 3:42pm On Feb 15, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
stop supporting evil. Bosses are not gods, that must be feared and worshipped.
How have I supported evil? What evil did I support?
You are now talking like a child not an adult
Where Have I said anyone must be feared or worshipped? Are you literate at all?
So because you want to prove you are tough and do not fear or worship your boss you should be rude?

What is "evil" in this story? Tell us what evil anyone is alleged to have done?
If your boss sends you an email asking you to start washing his car and it is not your job is the right thing to go and abuse him in his office?Why not deal with it by email.
If you must go to his office the correct thing to do is to have a witness present from HR and possibly have the meeting minuted/recorded by the witness/HR if necessary
Many people do not know how to behave in a formal or corporate setting and gve in to unnecessary emotionality

2 Likes

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Oceanjagaban: 3:45pm On Feb 15, 2022
Try to be humble,there Is dignity in labour..I see that you a very arrogant person.try change.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by shurch(m): 3:47pm On Feb 15, 2022
I remember being in similar situation back in 2010. Instead of me talking back or getting angry ,I just smile and walk away,this action got so unbearable for him because he was so expecting me to come at him .
I didn't report to anyone neither did I go to him . Las las he called me one day and told me he's sorry
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Ynix(m): 3:48pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

That statement really sent chills down my spine and I sparked and told him really derogatory words. I don't even feel anyhow about my reaction.
#Peace

He who keeps calm in the whole game without shaking is the King. If I were in your shoe I would have got my Oga confused without uttering a word...
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Chiderad(m): 3:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

Whoever counseled you to toe this line didn't advise you well at all.

I'm sure you must have bounced this challenge of yours against a few folks at home and youthful exuberance seems to have spoken.

My advise to you now is this - Go to your boss with a repentant heart and contrition and tell him you're sorry. Let him know you really mean what you say and make sure he gives you a positive nod or speaks a word of comfort to you.

After which, you humble yourself going forward and desist from anything that will make you to be at cross roads. If he gives you an assignment to do, do it joyfully and deliver on time.

Try this and let's see how it goes.

Wish you the best.

Selah!

1 Like

Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by na2016: 4:05pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

OP: Some humans are very mean, but next time, dont react this way. I think you should use wisdom in dealing with these people. I have been in your shoe before. I have learnt to ignore the man since.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Aaau: 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
How
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by seunoj: 4:07pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

You have acted well. Sometimes those bosses need a reset. I hope you have done it respectfully such that he has nothing to hold against you. Otherwise, his incident report will shock you.
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by Bezo247(m): 4:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
This is the reason Nigeria can never move forward, there are work ethnic in any organization, procedures must be followed, if the boss ain’t following it, they he has full right to question him and grieve about it
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by TheiaTalks: 4:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
WillyWonda1:

#Peace

My dear, no need to fight like this. Take his name to MFM altar. It's either his brain will reset and you two will be good again or he will commot from your front somehow. cool Thank me later
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by uptownemmygee(m): 4:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
How did you get to know your boss life history
Re: I Gave My Boss The Shocker Of His Life. by vikgreen01(m): 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2022
OMOTOWO:
We possess the same character but we always regret it when the result is out but we feel okay when we pour out our mind ..

We should learn to be cool and calm even in the face of oppression or difficulty .

Someone like me will always tell you his mind not minding the repercussion but it is not good especially when we have people lookimg up to us for money and feeding at home.Same thing you just did cost me my job recently .

God will elevate u bro…

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female Electrician Climbs A Pole In Her Hijab (Photos) / Police Officer Smoking Shisha In Uniform: NPF Launches Investigation (Photos) / Is My Boss Forcing Me To Marry His Only Daughter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.